Image Image Image Image

Free Agency: Round 2

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Free Agency: Round 2 

Post#1 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue May 1, 2018 4:16 pm

We've gone three a couple waves of free agency, the draft, and UDFA. Now it's time to speculate on what players and positions the Bears might target that are still available in veteran free agency.

I think we all agree we need another good pass rusher.

I think we have good depth at WR, but I wouldn't complain about adding another sure fire starter.

Could possibly upgrade the depth at DE, CB and Safety with a solid signing.

OT would be nice but there's nothing out there.

What positions do we need to upgrade, and who do you want?
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Re: Free Agency: Round 2 

Post#2 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue May 1, 2018 4:18 pm

OLB

I think there are a bunch of decent options:
Robert Ayers, Dumervil, Young, Houston, Barwin, Walden, Broooks, Freeney, Hali.

I think my top guy is Ayers, but I'd be fine with any of the first 6 or 7 guys I listed.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#3 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue May 1, 2018 4:39 pm

DB

At CB I like Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. He was highly productive two years ago with 41 tackles, 6 INTs, 21 PBUs, 1 FF, 1 sack. Down year last year but he would be excellent depth and could probably be used to cover quick tight ends.

At Safety I like Ron Parker. Also still a productive player. Played for the Chiefs. Reliable in run support and pass coverage, so he would fill in nicely if there's an injury.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue May 1, 2018 4:41 pm

DL

I like Jonathan Hankins and Shariff Floyd. Both young. Both extremely talented. Hankins would be an immediate starter. Floyd coming off injuries, and would have to compete to get in, but would probably start if healthy.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue May 1, 2018 4:45 pm

WR

Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall and Jeremy Maclin are out there. I think Maclin would be the most likely signing of the three. But I don't see it happening. None of these guys have had good seasons in two or three years and they're 30+. I think we're rolling with what we have.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: RE: Re: Free Agency: Round 2 

Post#6 » by City of Trees » Tue May 1, 2018 4:47 pm

heir_jordan22 wrote:DL

I like Jonathan Hankins and Shariff Floyd. Both young. Both extremely talented. Hankins would be an immediate starter. Floyd coming off injuries, and would have to compete to get in, but would probably start if healthy.

I remember hearing Floyd isnt the same player. Career may be over from a botched surgery.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailynorseman.com/platform/amp/2017/11/17/16670780/vikings-dont-think-sharrif-floyd-will-resume-nfl-career

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue May 1, 2018 5:27 pm

City of Trees wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:DL

I remember hearing Floyd isnt the same player. Career may be over from a botched surgery.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailynorseman.com/platform/amp/2017/11/17/16670780/vikings-dont-think-sharrif-floyd-will-resume-nfl-career

Wow I didn't know about that. Thanks for posting
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#8 » by City of Trees » Tue May 1, 2018 6:52 pm

heir_jordan22 wrote:At Safety I like Ron Parker. Also still a productive player. Played for the Chiefs. Reliable in run support and pass coverage, so he would fill in nicely if there's an injury.
Pace made him an offer in FA a few years back.

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#9 » by City of Trees » Tue May 1, 2018 6:55 pm

OLB is my biggest concern. After that we need depth at CB and WR. Another DE wouldn't hurt

ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,628
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#10 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Tue May 1, 2018 7:56 pm

I thought there weren't very many pass-rushers available this off-season, which is why we could only get Aaron Lynch as a signing.

Are there many impact FA's (at any position) still available at this point? I would think the good ones would be gone by now.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue May 1, 2018 7:58 pm

City of Trees wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:At Safety I like Ron Parker. Also still a productive player. Played for the Chiefs. Reliable in run support and pass coverage, so he would fill in nicely if there's an injury.
Pace made him an offer in FA a few years back.

Hopefully he does it again. Outside of Eric Reid and Kenny Vaccaro, who are both starters, I think Parker is the of my guy that is reliable in run and pass.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#12 » by City of Trees » Tue May 1, 2018 8:03 pm

mlitney01 wrote:I thought there weren't very many pass-rushers available this off-season, which is why we could only get Aaron Lynch as a signing.

Are there many impact FA's (at any position) still available at this point? I would think the good ones would be gone by now.

Impact? Probably not. You're looking at the Lamarr Houston's of the world. A guy who can contribute on a 1 yr deal.

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue May 1, 2018 9:05 pm

mlitney01 wrote:I thought there weren't very many pass-rushers available this off-season, which is why we could only get Aaron Lynch as a signing.

I think Lynch was probably in the second tier of pass rushers following Demarcus Lawrence because there was little top end talent available. There are a few serviceable guys, and I think I got them all in my list in the second post.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue May 1, 2018 9:07 pm

City of Trees wrote:OLB is my biggest concern. After that we need depth at CB and WR. Another DE wouldn't hurt

Do you have anyone in mind?
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst

Post#15 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Tue May 1, 2018 9:22 pm

I remember reading an article that listed a couple of Broncos OLB that could be available for trade after they moved to a 4-3 defense. If Pace feels like those guys could help, I wonder what type of draft capital he'd be willing to give up. We already don't have a 2nd rounder for next year.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#16 » by City of Trees » Tue May 1, 2018 9:57 pm

mlitney01 wrote:I remember reading an article that listed a couple of Broncos OLB that could be available for trade after they moved to a 4-3 defense. If Pace feels like those guys could help, I wonder what type of draft capital he'd be willing to give up. We already don't have a 2nd rounder for next year.

Might as well bring back Houston. I think the combination of Houston and Lynch could work opposite of Floyd

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue May 1, 2018 10:17 pm

mlitney01 wrote:I remember reading an article that listed a couple of Broncos OLB that could be available for trade after they moved to a 4-3 defense. If Pace feels like those guys could help, I wonder what type of draft capital he'd be willing to give up. We already don't have a 2nd rounder for next year.

Ware and Dumervil were both free agents. Dumervil is on my list. Ware signed somewhere already.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue May 1, 2018 10:20 pm

City of Trees wrote:

Might as well bring back Houston. I think the combination of Houston and Lynch could work opposite of Floyd

I think I agree. He had the most sacks of all the available FAs last year and is the best at setting the edge. He played really well last year when we brought him back.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst

Post#19 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Tue May 1, 2018 10:48 pm

heir_jordan22 wrote:

Ware and Dumervil were both free agents. Dumervil is on my list. Ware signed somewhere already.

Actually, it wasn't either of those guys. I found the article.

https://sportsmockery.com/2018/05/five-ways-chicago-can-fix-their-edge-rusher-problem/

Ray and Barrett were the guys mentioned. I guess both are decent prospects, but neither really fit in their new 4-3 scheme.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed May 2, 2018 7:14 am

mlitney01 wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:

Actually, it wasn't either of those guys. I found the article.

https://sportsmockery.com/2018/05/five-ways-chicago-can-fix-their-edge-rusher-problem/

Ray and Barrett were the guys mentioned. I guess both are decent prospects, but neither really fit in their new 4-3 scheme.

I feel like a trade is unlikely unless we can send a conditional 6th or 7th round pick

Return to Chicago Bears