NFC Wildcard: Eagles @ Bears, Sunday, Soldier Field, 3:40 CST, TV-NBC

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

NFC Wildcard: Eagles @ Bears, Sunday, Soldier Field, 3:40 CST, TV-NBC 

Post#1 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Jan 5, 2019 8:04 pm

CHICAGO --
The Chicago Bears will host their first playoff game since 2011 as they take on the defending Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles at Soldier Field at 3:40 p.m. on Sunday.

The Eagles won their last three games to finish 9-7 and clinch a Wild Card spot while the Bears went 12-4 and won the NFC North.

EAGLES OFFENSE:

The Eagles' offense ranked 14th overall for the 2018 season, with the seventh-best passing offense and 28th-best rushing offense.

Quarterback Nick Foles is back under center for the Eagles to fill in for an injured Carson Wentz.

Last season, Foles led the Eagles to the Super Bowl after Wentz went down with a late-season injury. In Super Bowl LII against the New England Patriots, Foles threw for 373 yards, three touchdowns and an interception as well as catching a touchdown from tight end Trey Burton, who is now a Bear.

Pro Bowler Zach Ertz set a single-season record for receptions by a tight end with 116 catches to go with 1,163 yards and eight touchdowns. Former Bear Alshon Jeffery led all Eagles wide receivers with 65 catches, 843 receiving yards and six touchdowns.

Running back Josh Adams led all Eagles rushers this season with 511 yards and three touchdowns on 120 carries.

BEARS DEFENSE

The Eagles offense will be going up against a formidable Bears defense that gave up the fewest points in the NFL last season at 17.7 points-per-game and features four Pro Bowlers: Defensive lineman Akiem Hicks, linebacker Khalil Mack, cornerback Kyle Fuller and safety Eddie Jackson.

The Bears had the leading rushing defense in the league last season and set a franchise record for fewest rushing yards surrendered in a 16 game season at 1,280. Rookie linebacker Roquan Smith led the Bears with 122 total tackles.

The Bears' pass defense ranked 7th in the NFL and is led by cornerback Kyle Fuller and safety Eddie Jackson, who have both been named to the Pro Bowl. The Bears will be without cornerback Bryce Callahan, who injured his foot against the St. Louis Rams.

The Bears' defense led the NFL in turnovers last season at 36, including 27 interceptions. Fuller tied for the league-lead with eight interceptions and linebacker Mack had six forced fumbles.

Mack led Bears' pass rushers with 12.5 sacks, the third highest in the league. As a team, the Bears sacked the opposing quarterback 50 times, third most in the NFL.

BEARS OFFENSE:

The Bears' offense ranked 21st overall in the NFL last season and scored 26.3 points-per-game.

Second-year quarterback Mitch Trubisky threw for 3,223 yards to go with 24 touchdowns and 12 interceptions as the Bears ranked 21st in the NFL in passing offense.

Free agent wide receiver Allen Robinson led Bears' receivers with 754 receiving yards to go with 55 catches and four touchdowns. Rookie wideout Anthony Miller led the Bears in touchdown receptions with seven and running back Tarik Cohen had the most catches with 71 to go with 725 yards and five receiving touchdowns.

The Bears rushing attack ranked 11th best in the NFL, led by running back Jordan Howard, who ran for 935 yards on 250 carries and scored 9 rushing touchdowns. Cohen ran for 444 yards on 99 attempts and three rushing touchdowns.

EAGLES DEFENSE

The Eagles defense ranked 23rd overall in the NFL last season and gave up 21.8 points-per-game. Safety Malcolm Jenkins and linebacker Nigel Bradham each had 97 total tackles to lead the team.

Pro Bowl defensive lineman Fletcher Cox led the Eagles with 10.5 sacks and defensive end Michael Bennett had nine sacks. As a team, the Eagles recorded 44 sacks, tied for the eighth best in the NFL.

The Eagles' rushing defense ranked seventh-best in the NFL, giving up 96.9 yards-per-game. The Eagles' passing defense ranked 30th overall in the NFL, giving up 269 passing yards per-game.

The Eagles tied for 22nd in the league with 17 total takeaways. Cornerback Rasul Douglas led the Eagles with three interceptions and Jenkins led the team with three forced fumbles.

SPECIAL TEAMS:

Jake Elliott kicks for the Eagles and converted 26 field goals on 31 attempts. Bears kicker Cody Parkey made 23 field goals on 30 attempts last season.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Re: NFC Wildcard: Eagles @ Bears, Sunday, 3:40 CST, TV-NBC 

Post#2 » by transplant » Sat Jan 5, 2019 10:26 pm

Nice job, Johnny, befitting a truly special game for all Bears fans.

I will be playing golf in the morning tomorrow (Cog Hill Eskimo Open) so that'll kind of keep my mind off it. After that, I fear that I'll lose my mind.. Don't get me wrong, I feel very good about the Bears chances, but football is a funny game.

Go Bears!
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Re: NFC Wildcard: Eagles @ Bears, Sunday, 3:40 CST, TV-NBC 

Post#3 » by Susan » Sun Jan 6, 2019 12:18 am

Nagy has done an excellent job of having this team to play 60 minutes. BEAR DOWN.
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Re: NFC Wildcard: Eagles @ Bears, Sunday, Soldier Field, 3:40 CST, TV-NBC 

Post#4 » by johnnyvann840 » Sun Jan 6, 2019 12:57 am

RedBulls23 wrote:
Read on Twitter
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,467

Post#5 » by CBS7 » Sun Jan 6, 2019 3:53 am

Burton questionable (groin)
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,960
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#6 » by MalagaBulls » Sun Jan 6, 2019 10:00 am

Read on Twitter
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#7 » by johnnyvann840 » Sun Jan 6, 2019 7:30 pm

Eagles-Bears Preview

STATS TSX Jan 05, 2019

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (AP) - Not long after he was hired, Matt Nagy watched the Super Bowl with his wife at a bar near the Chicago Bears' practice facility. His good friend Doug Pederson was coaching the Philadelphia Eagles to their first Super Bowl championship.

The place was just about empty. He even had to ask for the game to be turned on.

''It was awesome,'' he recalled.

Nagy hopes things don't go so well for his pal when the NFC North champion Bears host the Eagles on Sunday in a wild-card game packed with storylines.

Chicago (12-4) is in the playoffs for the first time since the 2010 team won the division, making a huge jump in Nagy's first season after four straight last-place finishes. The Bears are on a 9-1 tear; the Eagles (9-7) have won five of six.

Chicago quarterback Mitchell Trubisky will make his first playoff appearance.

Eagles quarterback Nick Foles - last year's Super Bowl MVP - will try to deliver another standout performance while filling in for Carson Wentz. He's 6-0 in those situations the past two seasons.

Foles was particularly good the past three games with Wentz sidelined by a back injury. He tied Philip Rivers' NFL record in last week's win over Washington by completing 25 consecutive passes. He will start this one after leaving with a chest injury against the Redskins.

Alshon Jeffery will play in Chicago for the first time since the star receiver left the Bears after five seasons to sign with Philadelphia in 2017. Chicago's Trey Burton will try to beat the Eagles this time after throwing a touchdown to Foles on a trick play - ''Philly Special'' - in the Super Bowl victory over New England.

There will be Long brothers - Chicago guard Kyle and Philadelphia defensive end Chris - on opposing teams.

And there will be two coaches on opposite sidelines with a strong bond formed while working under Andy Reid in Philadelphia and Kansas City.

''I told him at the owners meeting this past offseason, he got that Super Bowl, right. I'm trying to follow his lead here,'' Nagy said. ''He probably doesn't want to hear that right now, but I want to stick on that path. Ton of respect for him.''

The feeling is mutual.

''Right away, you (could) tell that he was going to work himself up the ranks,'' Pederson said.

Some things to know:

NO-NAME SECONDARY:
The Eagles have relied on backups and reserves after losing three-fourths of their starting secondary to season-ending injuries. Second-year pro Rasul Douglas and rookie Avonte Maddox have stepped up at cornerback since starters Ronald Darby and Jalen Mills went down. Veteran Corey Graham replaced safety Rodney McLeod. Maddox even played safety when Graham was out. Second-year pro Tre Sullivan also has filled in at safety and former Bears defensive back Cre'Von LeBlanc has played nickel cornerback with Sidney Jones out of the lineup. The group has improved significantly the past month.

''They've both settled into those roles well and they've made enough plays for us to win five of our last six and get in,'' defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz said of LeBlanc and Sullivan.

Douglas, who played just 10 snaps in the first five games, led the team with three interceptions.

The anchor in the secondary is Malcolm Jenkins, who played every defensive snap and another 136 on special teams.

ON TARGET: Like Foles, Trubisky is on a roll .

The No. 2 overall pick in the 2017 draft, he threw three interceptions in a 15-6 victory over the Los Angeles Rams on Dec. 9 after missing the previous two games because of a shoulder injury. Since then, he's been making all the right reads.

Trubisky has a 109.7 rating the past three games, completing 63 of 83 passes for 644 and three touchdowns without an interception.

BACKFIELD BY COMMITTEE: After relying on undrafted rookie Josh Adams for a bulk of the carries following season-ending injuries to Jay Ajayi and Corey Clement, the Eagles are splitting the ball carrying among Adams, veteran Darren Sproles and Wendell Smallwood. Adams ran 11 times for 50 yards last week. Smallwood was 12 for 53 and Sproles had seven for 24.

MOVING ON?:
Bears defensive coordinator Vic Fangio insisted he was preparing only for the Eagles, not any head coaching interviews.

''I've done zero on that second part,'' he said.

The 60-year-old Fangio never has been a head coach. But he has interviewed for several openings, including the one that went to Nagy in Chicago.

In his four seasons with the Bears, Fangio has transformed a defense that ranked among the worst in team history. The Monsters of the Midway led the NFL in rushing defense, takeaways (36) and interceptions (27) while tying for third in sacks (50).

THE TURNAROUND:
The Bears posted their best record since the 2006 team went 13-3 on the way to a Super Bowl appearance. Nagy won more games than any other rookie coach in franchise history, after John Fox led Chicago to a 14-34 record over the previous three seasons. The Bears also went 7-1 at home compared with 7-17 under Fox.
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#8 » by johnnyvann840 » Sun Jan 6, 2019 7:38 pm

We are seeing playoff football in this first round of WC games. Low scoring, grind it out, smashmouth football. I think this bodes well for our Bears right now.

Chargers D and ST's are running the table right now.
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#9 » by johnnyvann840 » Sun Jan 6, 2019 7:46 pm

Huge block of a FG by the Ravens... this could be a game changer.
chicagoballer
Sixth Man
And1: 210

Post#10 » by chicagoballer » Sun Jan 6, 2019 10:29 pm

I didn’t watch the eagles this season but they are a tough scrappy team. bears arr going to have to work harder than I thought.

Hope Mitch didn’t hurt himself from that scramble.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,593

Post#11 » by fleet » Sun Jan 6, 2019 10:34 pm

Trubisky not good enough to win this game. Hhhhhhh.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#12 » by fleet » Sun Jan 6, 2019 10:35 pm

Foles is what a gamer looks like
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#13 » by johnnyvann840 » Sun Jan 6, 2019 10:39 pm

fleet wrote:Foles is what a gamer looks like

Starting to show some holes now though
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#14 » by fleet » Sun Jan 6, 2019 10:40 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
fleet wrote:Foles is what a gamer looks like

Starting to show some holes now though

I guess pressure cracks everyone. Trubisky cant capitalize though
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#15 » by johnnyvann840 » Sun Jan 6, 2019 10:43 pm

That's not a pick that's just an incomplete pass
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#16 » by johnnyvann840 » Sun Jan 6, 2019 10:47 pm

Bears have been good at making halftime adjustments all season long. You know what they say never underestimate the heart of a champion though. I knew this Eagles team was going to be tough and they have been
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#17 » by johnnyvann840 » Sun Jan 6, 2019 10:48 pm

Defense needs to make a big stand here we need another turnover... we need a pick 6. The offense is having a rough time
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#18 » by fleet » Sun Jan 6, 2019 11:09 pm

The refs are not good in the passing calls thats for sure
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#19 » by fleet » Sun Jan 6, 2019 11:11 pm

Lookes like the injury forxed Mitch to actually stay in there and go through some reads. Maybe we can improve him by spraining his ankle
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#20 » by johnnyvann840 » Sun Jan 6, 2019 11:12 pm

It was huge to at least some points before half time.

Return to Chicago Bears