Moderator: chitownsports4ever

Grade The Offeseason

Total votes: 0

SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Grade our offseason so far 

Post#1 » by SportsWorld » Mon Apr 2, 2007 1:44 am

Has Angelo done a good job or is he just crazy?
I give us a D right now but if the Briggs deal gets done I will maybe flip-flop and move to a B.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,147

Post#2 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Apr 2, 2007 1:57 am

I don't know how you can say he is not at least a B, if not an A.

Look at the dumb money being spent. We have maybe 1-2 more years of these above average starters getting 7 million a year for 7 year deals. Then the salary cap space will dry up, and again we'll see only the superstars getting those kind of deals. That is why Briggs is so mad, he KNOWS he isn't worth that much and next year he won't get that much.

We didn't waste our cap space on guys that would make us marginally better. WE traded a late 6th round pick for a safety that is great in our system, and only paid him 8.1 million over 3 years when just last year the skins made him the highest paid safety in the game.

If we steal the 6th pick for briggs and 31, I'll give it an A. We don't need to throw around 50million deals to marginal free agents when we can keep our OWN guys like Harris.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
IVSKIN
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#3 » by IVSKIN » Mon Apr 2, 2007 1:58 am

I think picking up Archuletta is great. The bears were thin at the safety position to say the least.

Now they have Harris, Brown, Manning (who i think will become a great safety) and Archuletta, making them deep at that position.

So far a C, but draft time will move it up for sure.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Apr 2, 2007 1:58 am

on top of that, we let 2 unspectacular DT's drafted or signed for a different system leave and picked up a backup replacement for cheap 4 years, and he fits our system perfectly.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#5 » by SportsWorld » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:00 am

Man I love the Archuletta deal but the Jones deal still IMO wasn't the best offer we could get.
I think we need to do that Redskins deal.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:02 am

It's like trading Jones (don't need, save money) briggs( need, but save big time money) and our late first and second for the skins first and second. We save 10 million in cap space and move up 25 spots in both rounds. WIN WIN!
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#7 » by Posey H8er » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:28 am

I would say incomplete because the Briggs situation is not done yet...
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#8 » by Pax for Prez » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:41 am

Darth Celtic wrote:It's like trading Jones (don't need, save money) briggs( need, but save big time money) and our late first and second for the skins first and second. We save 10 million in cap space and move up 25 spots in both rounds. WIN WIN!

Off Season Moves:

Trading RB Jones Grade C- : I thought T. Jones was worth more, but J.A. had to make the move to up hold his word and moved him to a AFC team. This is why I can accept the deal.

Trading for SS A. Archuleta Grade B: Good move to aquire an starting NFL player at a postion of need for a 6th rd pick. My only question is why didn't they wait for Washington to cut Archuleta ? He was traded for on Tues. and was owed a roster bonues on Wed. ??

Sign DT A. Adams Grade C: He seems to be similar quality player to I. Scott.

Loss of SS Worrell, SS Johnson, WR Gage & DT A. Boone Grade C:
All of these players are backups & for the money it would have took to resign them, I much rather would like to draft their replacements.

OLB L. Briggs Grade Inc.: I had a feeling this situation would happen during this off season with Briggs once he signed with Rosenhouse last year. I hope we can make a good deal with Washington for our future.

OVERALL GRADE: C
IVSKIN
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by IVSKIN » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:11 am

SportsWorld wrote:Man I love the Archuletta deal but the Jones deal still IMO wasn't the best offer we could get.
I think we need to do that Redskins deal.

Jones is a great back, but I doubt Angelo could have gotten more. THere are so many talented running backs that were available from free agency this year, so Angelo my have felt rushed.

As much as i will miss him, i think benson/peterson will be a good enough pair.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:06 am

On the worth scale, we got about the same for jones as most backs traded already.

We get AA for 3 years, no bidding wars.

And the backup DT is much better fitted for our scheme then scott or boone. Both of which were aquired pre-Lovie.
Convoy
Ballboy

Post#11 » by Convoy » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:15 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:It's like trading Jones (don't need, save money) briggs( need, but save big time money) and our late first and second for the skins first and second. We save 10 million in cap space and move up 25 spots in both rounds. WIN WIN!

After 6, Skins don't pick again until the 5th round.

Any second round pick would have to be next year.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:28 pm

no, we trade up to 6. Then trade down with a DIFFERENT team down to 12-16 range and pick up the extra picks. I'm sure that is what is taking so long, JA is looking to see which teams would be willing to move up to 6 if we get it.
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#13 » by Cliff Levingston » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:45 pm

Cliff Levingston will give it a C+ so far. Getting Archuleta on a decent contract for a 6th round pick is a good move, especially if he can play alongside Brown successfully.

He also picked up some cheap depth for the defense in the form of Adams (DT) and Carter (S).

Cliff Levingston didn't expect Angelo to do much to a team that made the superbowl, nor do you want to make major changes in order to maintain chemistry. Let's see how he does in a possible Briggs deal and the draft. It could bump his grade up to an A-.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:57 pm

no, carter signed with the steelers, the initial ESPN announcement was incorrect.

Return to Chicago Bears