ImageImageImageImageImage

Looks like the Red Sox might be having a firesale too...

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

Jitpal
General Manager
And1: 0

Looks like the Red Sox might be having a firesale too... 

Post#1 » by Jitpal » Sun May 13, 2007 3:29 pm

Just speculation on my part based on this quote:Link
According to reports from the financial press, Red Sox owner John Henry is in some trouble. Since December 2004, his main investment fund has lost 36 percent, and clients are running. The fund's assets have gone from $2.9 billion to $1.4 billion. Henry's own annual report revealed that half his clients have lost money.

He might need to sell and if he does they might need to have a firesale or something. Should be something to look out for especially with the mass amount of dollars they spent this offseason on Drew, Lugo and Matsuzaka. -Jitpal
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Re: Looks like the Red Sox might be having a firesale too... 

Post#2 » by cmaff051 » Sun May 13, 2007 3:40 pm

Jitpal wrote:Just speculation on my part based on this quote:Link
According to reports from the financial press, Red Sox owner John Henry is in some trouble. Since December 2004, his main investment fund has lost 36 percent, and clients are running. The fund's assets have gone from $2.9 billion to $1.4 billion. Henry's own annual report revealed that half his clients have lost money.

He might need to sell and if he does they might need to have a firesale or something. Should be something to look out for especially with the mass amount of dollars they spent this offseason on Drew, Lugo and Matsuzaka. -Jitpal

What other assets does he have other than the Red Sox? I would imagine that the Red Sox franchise would be the last asset to take a hit because it's just so profitable.
Jitpal
General Manager

Post#3 » by Jitpal » Sun May 13, 2007 4:01 pm

I can see the headline now:
"John Henry trades David Ortiz for 10 million dollars to the Yankees"
The sub-headline below it:
"Ortiz swears the Red Sox will never win another world series without him"
:D -Jitpal
ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,718

Post#4 » by ccvle » Sun May 13, 2007 8:29 pm

what type of investment was he making? The US equity market has been sizzling hot the past couple of years.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#5 » by cmaff051 » Mon May 14, 2007 2:35 am

I wonder if they are going to cut costs by taking Sam Perlozzo off the payroll?
Markos
Starter

Post#6 » by Markos » Mon May 14, 2007 7:38 am

Well first of all thats a fund that his company manages, it clearly says that its his clients who are losing money....He still gets their commisions. If he stops getting money from that source he has several more profitable, (including the Sox)

But I guess your assumptions are right, dont forget that a few weeks ago he offered "only" 18 million for roger clemens.....not the more fair rate of 28 million
throwbackewing33
Starter
And1: 131

Post#7 » by throwbackewing33 » Mon May 14, 2007 10:27 pm

I dont think the red sox are in trouble. this obviously didnt happen over night and the red sox made some big investments in players in the offseason showing that they are not THAT tight with money.

Return to New York Yankees