Barry Bonds for MVP

Moderator: TyCobb

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Barry Bonds for MVP 

Post#1 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:34 am

Wow, he's just so amazing. It's crazy that at 42 years old he's still the best player in baseball. He's hitting just as well as he was in 2003. He's finally health again and he's going to carry the very mediocre Giants to the promised land. Just watch.

When he gets the trophy, he'll be 43 god damn years old. God damn.

800 homers by the end of next April.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Black Jesus 1
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#2 » by Black Jesus 1 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:16 am

Lol, are you serious? I say he gets 35 HR's, 95 RBI's. No MVP, no title though.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#3 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:34 am

Dead serious. He's as good as he was in 2003. He's healthy. He has a god damn OPS of like 1400 and it's almost May.

Also, when I say 'promised land' I mean the playoffs. Although maybe they have a shot at the title if they run with a Cain-Lincecum rotation in the playoffs. The Cards won the championship last year; anything can happen.

Basically I want you all to enjoy Barry Bonds because you won't see a talent like him in quite a while.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
HeelSox
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#4 » by HeelSox » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:54 am

*waits for someone to make a cheater comment because when you take steroids, you don't have to do any work at all. Steroids build the muscle, time the pitches, AND hit the ball for you....right?*

I agree with you BG...Barry Bonds will retire as a top 3 baseball talent ever...and everyone around us is just taking advantage of the opportunity to witness it.
"The guy is an idiot," Pedroia said regarding Cabrera. "I dropped my bat. It kind of freaked me out. I was upset they took him out of the game. He is good to hit. He's 9-15. The guy [stinks]."
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#5 » by bigboy1234 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:02 am

I don't know Jose Cruz looks like he'll be giving Barry a run for his money, it should be a close race between the two though.

Really though, I don't see Barry winning the MVP. Not because he's not the best player in NL, but because of voters and fans not appreciating or respecting what he's doing. The voters will more than likely think of any reason not to give it to him, just a feeling though.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by lpsevier » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:36 am

Its pretty amazing to watch, whether you like him or not.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#7 » by WEFFPIM » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:43 am

can't really deny it, he's been great in the first month of the season
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
SmallTownJournalist303
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#8 » by SmallTownJournalist303 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:31 pm

There's no way in hell he wins it. Not because he won't deserve it, but because voters are dumbasses.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#9 » by mizzoupacers » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:33 pm

Of course Bonds is an extremely talented baseball player, steroids or not. That's never been in serious dispute.

Steroids don't give you baseball skills. They also are no substitute for training and conditioning. What they do, however, is allow skilled baseball players to train harder and stay on the field longer and more often, by enhancing their ability to avoid injuries and overcome fatigue. So why is that a bad thing? Because with that advantage comes an elevated probability of terrible consequences for your overall health, particularly your long-term health. So that's why the stuff is banned...if you don't outlaw it, then pretty much every baseball player has to take it to be competitive, and then they would all be risking their health, perhaps even killing themselves, in order to play what is after all merely a game.

There is good reason why the generations of players before Bonds did not, with rare exceptions, maintain peak performance well into their 40s: the natural course of events is for athletes' bodies to slow down by then, if not to break down altogether from the stress of trying to play competitive sports at the highest level.

Of course it's possible that steroids have little or nothing to do with Bonds' current performance level. Maybe Bonds is another Nolan Ryan. Ryan was still throwing a blazing fastball at age 43, with little reason to suspect that he was doing anything illegal to maintain that level of performance.

However, athletes like that have been so rare in baseball's history, and evidence of Bonds' illegal substance use seems so convincing, that I'm inclined to think it is far more likely he is a cheater than a freak of nature.
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#10 » by 2poor » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:39 pm

As the weather continues getting warmer and those doubles (13 so far) Derrek Lee keeps hitting starts turning into homers, he'll have a legit shot at it too, health willing.

.391 BA
.472 OBP
.565 SLG
1.037 OPS
1 HR
16 RBI
(36 hits in 23 games so far, has reached safely in every game so far)

All that plus the usual Gold Glove defense over at first.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#11 » by SportsWorld » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:24 pm

No matter how many homers Bonds hits this year MLB will not give him MVP.
backer55
Senior

Post#12 » by backer55 » Thu May 3, 2007 2:01 am

SportsWorld, however true your statement is, don't you think that, if Bonds were to put up superb #'s and was THE major factor in getting the Giants back in the playoffs, he should be allowed win the N. league MVP?

If not, and by your statement made above, that is blatent discrimination on your and MLB's part. No offence intended, just hard to understand how we as American's, loving America's past-time, can condem a man until he is proven Guilty in a court of law.

Bonds is a baseball player. He needs to be treated as any other player! What's good for one should be good for all and vice versa.
HeelSox
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by HeelSox » Thu May 3, 2007 2:36 am

Friendly reminder...Barry Bonds didn't cheat, the substances he reportedly used weren't banned by the MLB yet.
"The guy is an idiot," Pedroia said regarding Cabrera. "I dropped my bat. It kind of freaked me out. I was upset they took him out of the game. He is good to hit. He's 9-15. The guy [stinks]."
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#14 » by Posey H8er » Thu May 3, 2007 4:02 am

Safe pick is Pujols.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,297

Post#15 » by ReasonablySober » Thu May 3, 2007 2:40 pm

It's May 3rd.
backer55
Senior

Post#16 » by backer55 » Thu May 3, 2007 4:51 pm

Yea, it's early but he aint't gonna slow down. They can walk him, sure, but throw the ball out over the plate... look out and hang on. Bonds is hitting the ball hard because he's healthy and that's what he does. He really is that much better than everyone else.

Nice to see fans in other parks applaud Barry when he jacks one out. They may boo him the villen as he walks up to the plate, but walk him and they boo their own team. If he jacks one, All fans are alike in they understand his greatness and give due at being witness to history being made.

Return to The General MLB Board