ImageImageImageImageImage

SF Giants interested in Melky ?

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
And1: 0
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

SF Giants interested in Melky ? 

Post#1 » by NYKnSTILL! » Tue May 8, 2007 4:02 pm

Peter Gammon's latest blog mentions:

"
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#2 » by cmaff051 » Tue May 8, 2007 4:16 pm

This is probably not going to happen anymore now that we have Roger, but I would have done this trade easily. I like Melky but you trade a 4th outfielder for a middle of the rotation lefty.
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#3 » by 34Celtic » Tue May 8, 2007 4:17 pm

cmaff051 wrote:This is probably not going to happen anymore now that we have Roger, but I would have done this trade easily. I like Melky but you trade a 4th outfielder for a middle of the rotation lefty.

A 22 year old 4th outfielder though?
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#4 » by NYKnSTILL! » Tue May 8, 2007 4:18 pm

yup and I hope we can steal Jonathon Sanchez and or Sweeny from SF.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#5 » by cmaff051 » Tue May 8, 2007 4:19 pm

34Celtic wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

A 22 year old 4th outfielder though?

I don't think that a 10-15 HR, .270-.280 hitter has a place in the corner outfield on the Yankees. You may disagree, but I think Melky is a tweener. He isn't quick enough to play CF.
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#6 » by 34Celtic » Tue May 8, 2007 4:19 pm

NYKnSTILL! wrote:yup and I hope we can steal Jonathon Sanchez and or Sweeny from SF.
:roll:
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#7 » by NYKnSTILL! » Tue May 8, 2007 4:22 pm

34Celtic wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:roll:

listen I love Melky but for Lowry I do it , unless you can pawn off Johnny Damon or Abreu
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#8 » by cmaff051 » Tue May 8, 2007 4:24 pm

NYKnSTILL! wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

listen I love Melky but for Lowry I do it , unless you can pawn off Johnny Damon or Abreu

:nod: :nod: You put the team in front of personal favorites.
throwbackewing33
Starter
And1: 131

Post#9 » by throwbackewing33 » Tue May 8, 2007 4:31 pm

Right now I would trade Melky for a solid reliever
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#10 » by NYKnSTILL! » Tue May 8, 2007 4:37 pm

Melky Cabrera and Darrel Rasner

for

Noah Lowry, Todd Linden and Jonathan Sanchez

:droop:
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#11 » by 34Celtic » Tue May 8, 2007 5:07 pm

NYKnSTILL! wrote:Melky Cabrera and Darrel Rasner

for

Noah Lowry, Todd Linden and Jonathan Sanchez

:droop:

I wouldn't think SF would do this. Melky is valuable to us because he can play all three positions at an above average level. I wouln't hesitate to give him up for Lowry. But Sweeney? You don't upgrade over Mientkievicz at first base. Hitting you move sideways, maybe even downwards. And you lose a lot with Dougie's glove.
throwbackewing33
Starter
And1: 131

Post#12 » by throwbackewing33 » Tue May 8, 2007 5:10 pm

Sanchez seems like a decent lefty. I would definitly trade Melky for pitching. Thompson can be our 4th outfielder
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#13 » by NYKnSTILL! » Tue May 8, 2007 5:16 pm

Some fans are clamoring for the Giants to trade a starter for a bat and promote Lincecum to the rotation, but even teams desperate for pitching are not willing to deal middle-of-the-order hitters this early in the season. Plus, the Giants are reluctant to tinker with their best-performing unit, their starters.

Melky, Bobby or Damon take your pick SF, just throw in Sanchez and Linden :pray:
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#14 » by 34Celtic » Tue May 8, 2007 5:19 pm

They already promoted Lincecum to the majors. If Linden can hit over .196 :o in the NL west, talk to me then. Until that happens I'll wait till Damon and Abreu get it together. The guy is a career .220 hitter and is 27. Seriously you'd rather have him in center than Melky or Damon, or him in right over Bobby? :banghead:
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#15 » by NYKnSTILL! » Tue May 8, 2007 5:28 pm

34Celtic wrote:They already promoted Lincecum to the majors. If Linden can hit over .196 :o in the NL west, talk to me then. Until that happens I'll wait till Damon and Abreu get it together. The guy is a career .220 hitter and is 27. Seriously you'd rather have him in center than Melky or Damon, or him in right over Bobby? :banghead:

Linden is a 4 OF option he would replace Melky defensively
Sanchez is a LHP hardthrower w/ future promise
Lowry is 26 or 27 he'd be slipped into this rotation , fans in SF would want a middle of the line up guy or a regular bat just for Lowry, throw in Abreu who clearly is regressing and has 1 more year you might get Sanchez back. This strengthens the pen and the starting rotation and the OF depth so why the hell not :-?

Wang
Pettitte
Clemens
Moose
Lowry

We let Hughes recover and long relief Delsalvo until he's ready. If Linden comes in this deal we add a better defensive OF to our depth. Listen I love Melky but we gotta cut the bullsh** he's a 4th OF who needs to improve plus he's a FA next year we can always get him back whenever we want.
Jitpal
General Manager

Post#16 » by Jitpal » Tue May 8, 2007 5:36 pm

2 Weeks ago, I do this without hesitation. Even today if we say 4th outfielder for 3/4 rotation lefty, I do it. However, if we break it down a little more there is a lot going on. First of all, Lowry isn't a home run, NL to AL East. A guy with a career ERA of 4.01 in the NL could easily be 4.75 to 5.00 in the AL East. Which is pretty bad. Plus, we take away quite a bit. Melky can play all 3 outfield positions, with an above average arm and glove. He is a switch hitter, who can draw walks and has gotten clutch hits. There were quite a few times last year when Melky alone started a rally for us late in games. Plus, Melky is one of those guys out there who just goes out and has fun about the whole thing. A lot of the guys on the Yanks go out and look like robots with no emotion or anything but he is one guy always out there, high energy, lot of emotion and that is something we need.

With all of that said, I would still do the deal but I want a little something to go along with it. Maybe add DeSalvo to the deal and get something better in return? Looking at it from a future standpoint there is no way DeSalvo has a spot on the rotation. Wang, Hughes and Lowry, if we get him, would be there. We have 4-5 guys knocking on the door right now to be promoted like Clippard and Sanchez(when he gets back). A ton of young arms below him. Plus, we are the Yankees and I have to believe with the starting pitching that will hit the market in a year or two we will grab one. So where does DeSalvo fit. Package together DeSalvo and Melky for Sanchez and Lowry or something. -Jitpal
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#17 » by NYKnSTILL! » Tue May 8, 2007 5:43 pm

as long as Sanchez and Lowry are coming back I have no problem though I wonder w/ Desalvo is he hitting his peek or can he improve and SF the last thing they want is more pitching , they're loaded there.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#18 » by NYKnSTILL! » Tue May 8, 2007 5:45 pm

I wonder if Abreu goes in this deal does SF bite ?

Roberts
Abreu
Bonds

Abreu protects Bonds .. never know ?
Jitpal
General Manager

Post#19 » by Jitpal » Tue May 8, 2007 6:03 pm

NYKnSTILL! wrote:I wonder if Abreu goes in this deal does SF bite ?

Roberts
Abreu
Bonds

Abreu protects Bonds .. never know ?

I'm all for getting rid of Abreu. Good bat but his defense is very overrated. I've been looking at this Sanchez guy. To me that would be the centerpiece of the deal and not Lowry. Adding him would help us because we would have some very young guys in the pen. Bruney, Henn, Sanchez, and then from the minors Cox, Clagget and Wheelan. -Jitpal
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#20 » by 34Celtic » Tue May 8, 2007 6:26 pm

So we trade Abreu and Melky. Our outfield is Matsui Damon Linden. Our rotation is Pettitte Wang Clemens Moose Hughes and Lowry comes out of the pen. And maybe we somehow get Sweeney who isn't an upgrade over Dougie or Phelps at first? I'm not following.

Our lineup becomes
Damon
Jeter
Matsui
Arod
Giambi
Posada
Cano
Mientkiewicz
Linden......
Who is our 4th OF???????? Ryan Thompson. Our team becomes a lot worse if we trade Melky and Abreu for Linden and Lowry

NYKnstill. Here are the details of Mely's contract......2007-08: Near Minimum, 2009 Super Two?, 2010-12: Arb. Eligible, 2013: Free Agent

Guys. Sanchez may have the stuff. But his ERA is over 5 and his WHIP is around 2.00. We already have him in our pen. Kyle Farnsworth

Return to New York Yankees