Some random Bengals notes...

Moderator: Gremz

Buck4Life
Head Coach
And1: 1

Some random Bengals notes... 

Post#1 » by Buck4Life » Fri May 18, 2007 4:16 am

Just a couple random things I found very intresting.

PROJECTED GLORY: The NFL
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#2 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Sat May 19, 2007 2:06 am

I'll wait and see on Chad Johnson and where his numbers will stack up, but that is amazing if it's true. And he looks like he can stay this strong for five years at least.

Good to hear that Irons is living up to his pick. He never was a bad pick...just seemingly redundant. But, if the team wants to use the two-back formula, we can't complain.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#3 » by Icness » Sat May 19, 2007 2:36 am

Shamelessly linking in my draft review:
http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_teamarticle/229/20070502/2007_draft_review_cincinnati_bengals/

As this one is a short one I'll save you a click...
Analysis:

The Bengals had Leon Hall, the best cover CB in the draft, unexpectedly fall to them. He fills their biggest need without having to deal picks. Hall will start right away and also offers another option in the woeful return game. Irons has battled injuries but is a powerful, shifty runner, and pairing him with Rudi Johnson brings added depth and more punch where they needed it. White is a fierce hitter who will help shore up the run defense, though it might take him some time to pan out. I like the selection of Rowe, a project at this point but a very accurate thrower with a decent arm, as an insurance policy and developmental QB. Toeaina and Santucci are both physical effort guys, solid citizens, and add depth.

Grade: B

Hall is one of the best overall picks, and Irons could turn out to be a steal if he can absorb the NFL playbook. They chose a lot of hard-working, strong-character guys who can help a little right now but perhaps a lot in a year or two. That
Buck4Life
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Buck4Life » Sat May 19, 2007 5:49 am

PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#5 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Sat May 19, 2007 7:04 am

Buck4Life wrote:More cool notes...

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6057

Nothing real eye-opening, other than Carson's numbers without Chris Henry. That was bad.

If you guys can find any news regarding how the rookies are fitting in, please post it. I'm really curious to know if a) Hall is tearing it up, b) Jeff Rowe is progressing into a capable NFL backup, c) Marvin White can start, d) we're going to a two-back rotation, and e) if Toeaina or Santucci are playing well enough to crack a rotational spot.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#6 » by Icness » Mon May 21, 2007 3:25 pm

PhilipNelsonFan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Nothing real eye-opening, other than Carson's numbers without Chris Henry. That was bad.

If you guys can find any news regarding how the rookies are fitting in, please post it. I'm really curious to know if a) Hall is tearing it up, b) Jeff Rowe is progressing into a capable NFL backup, c) Marvin White can start, d) we're going to a two-back rotation, and e) if Toeaina or Santucci are playing well enough to crack a rotational spot.

They gave White reps as the nickel back in mini-camp, but I don't know how much to read into that because they were short CBs. At worst he's going to fill the Kaesviharn role as run-support safety. The guy plays a lot like Roy Williams the Cowboy, though he's not as fast.

Rowe showed a rifle arm and good footwork in camp but has a long way to go in terms of the playbook and reading/diagnosing defenses and adjusting to coverage schemes. He'll be the #3 this year, the #2 next year if all goes well. FWIW several scouts I know liked him better than John Beck, myself included.

I think the preseason will determine how much we see of a rotating backfield. If Irons is good and ready, Lewis will get him on the field. It's hard to say at this point, because Lewis relies so much on his confidence in young players before he turns them loose. Ditto on the late-round guys. Toeiana is in a better position to crack the rotation than Santucci.
Buck4Life
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Buck4Life » Tue May 22, 2007 5:54 pm

Icness wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

They gave White reps as the nickel back in mini-camp, but I don't know how much to read into that because they were short CBs. At worst he's going to fill the Kaesviharn role as run-support safety. The guy plays a lot like Roy Williams the Cowboy, though he's not as fast.

Rowe showed a rifle arm and good footwork in camp but has a long way to go in terms of the playbook and reading/diagnosing defenses and adjusting to coverage schemes. He'll be the #3 this year, the #2 next year if all goes well. FWIW several scouts I know liked him better than John Beck, myself included.

I think the preseason will determine how much we see of a rotating backfield. If Irons is good and ready, Lewis will get him on the field. It's hard to say at this point, because Lewis relies so much on his confidence in young players before he turns them loose. Ditto on the late-round guys. Toeiana is in a better position to crack the rotation than Santucci.

Thanks Iceness. You got a report about Leon Hall?

Return to Cincinnati Bengals