Offseason changes, too early to discuss, cant help it

Moderator: Gremz

whodey
Starter
And1: 169

Offseason changes, too early to discuss, cant help it 

Post#1 » by whodey » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:29 am

This team is just really beginning to kill me. I wish the bengals played on saturday and the buckeyes on sunday so i would have better weeks.
A couple of things i am starting to take from this team, and it all started last year.

1. This might sting some people, but Marvin needs to get lost. Thanks for turning the franchise around, but we're just wasting the shelf life of palmer with your crap and lack of discipline. Only we would take a defensive coordinator that got fired by the Raiders. Basically he needs to take a stance and fire chuck and call the defensive plays for the rest of the year. THats supposedly your "specialty," SO F'N SHOW IT!!! Because as long as we got Brats as the OC and Palmer, johnson, and housh we will be good for years offensively. I would love to pick up marty shottenheimer, thats a guy that commands respect and gets it.

2. BLOW UP THE D-LINE!!!! They play the run ok, but have absolutely no ability to get to the quarterback. I cant believe our tackles are Peko and Thornton, what a joke. Any defensive back is going to be burned the way we allow opposing quarterbacks to sit back in the pocket. And its been the same thing for the past 3 years.

3. Our secondary is also a joke, who coaches these guys because they have absolutely no idea where they are supposed to be. On that burleson TD i have never seen such poor recognition. No one was coming out of the backfield so i have no idea why joseph played so shallow. On top of that Madieu Williams had no business not getting over in time, there was no other route in his vicinity so i have no idea why he sat in the middle of the field for so long. COACHING, COACHING, COACHING!!!!! I just cant believe how lost our guys look on defense, we have the worst coaches in the league.

Offseason moves:

Cut willie or levi because we need that cap room for defenders, we had no business not going after adalius thomas this past offseason. Whitworth is ready to step in on either tackle position. Also, Rudi is pretty damn overrated, he has no idea how to find holes, all his runs come off of big holes created by the O-LINE. I also think its time to get a new kicker, i love graham's accuracy, but we need a lot more depth with hangtime on our kickoffs, its been killing us the past few years. Or get a punter who can handle the kickoffs as well as punt. Also, if mike brown is too cheap to buy out marvin, then we better make a splash on picking up a Defensive Coordinator. This might sound dumb, but i wouldnt mind getting romeo crennel as our DC if he is fired by Cleveland. Sorry for the long post, i normally am an NBA poster on the Bulls board, but i had to get some thoughts off my chest after this utter embarrassing loss. And oh yea, HOUSH please go down instead of trying to pick up an extra foot because i have seen him fumble in those situations way too much.

Also, for game threads we should have a rotation, and if the bengals win when you make the thread you get to keep doing so till the team looses.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#2 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:41 am

I'll respond to these later, but for now: Lewis is all right, DT is a major weakness and secondary is as well. Outside of that, keep the OL.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
whodey
Starter
And1: 169

Post#3 » by whodey » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:11 pm

PhilipNelsonFan wrote:I'll respond to these later, but for now: Lewis is all right, DT is a major weakness and secondary is as well. Outside of that, keep the OL.

Dont get me wrong, i love the O-Line also, but eventually to have money to spend on the defense we have to cut some costs on the offensive side of the ball.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#4 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:07 am

The offensive line is the most important unit on the team. The skilled-position players can't compensate for a terrible one. Yes, Jones and Anderson are getting up there in age but we don't have to pay them forever. I agree that Whitworth should be the future T, but the Bengals are a couple drafts away from assembling a solid offensive line.

As far as the secondary, in watching the Seahawks game I got the feeling that the Bengals are going after athletes who don't have great instincts...which is gonna set the secondary back for years. Leon Hall may be the second most skilled secondary player we have after Dexter Jackson. Honestly, the scouting department of the Bengals needs an overhaul. This team just doesn't seem to understand how to construct a good draft.

Honestly, the whole defensive line is worrisome. I'm not YET sold completely on Geathers; I've never been sold on Justin Smith; the tackles, of course, get no pressure. We may have to do a complete and total overhaul on the defensive line to fix it.

Until the defense gets more impact players, the coaches should shift to a 4-2-5 defense or something similar so that the linebackers don't have to be tested THAT much on every play. Dhani Jones was impressive in limited action but we can't count on him for obvious reasons.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.

Return to Cincinnati Bengals