Free agency thread

Moderator: Gremz

PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Free agency thread 

Post#1 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Sat Jan 5, 2008 11:47 am

If the Bengals are going to really make a splash, they'd better act quickly. Not a lot of great players entering the free agent market this year.

Current Bengals Justin Smith, Alex Stepanovich, and Madieu Williams are among the many free agents available.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/nfldraft/freeagentoffense.cfm
http://www.draftdaddy.com/nfldraft/freeagentdefense.cfm
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User

Post#2 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:23 pm

you mean justin smith?
Buck4Life
Head Coach
And1: 1

Post#3 » by Buck4Life » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:22 am

Some Guys Id go for on defense:

Lance Briggs
Terrell Suggs
Albert Haynesworth
Ken Hamlin
Randall Gay
Jared Allen
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:43 am

Monkeyfeng06 wrote:you mean justin smith?

Yeah. Don't know what happened there, but I corrected it.

Randall Gay and Jared Allen would be great pickups for the Bengals IMO.
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User

Post#5 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:14 pm

is randall gay even good? i guess he's a solid CB. i doubt we have the money to pursue jared allen. actually, maybe we do? use the justin smith money?
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User

Post#6 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:55 am

NEW AGENT: Free agent safety Madieu Williams has lined up an agent that has done long-term deals with the Bengals.

Kenny Zuckerman, who got left tackle Levi Jones into training camp on time with a first-round deal in 2002 and negotiated a six-year extension for him before the '06 season, said at Tuesday's South practice he is representing Williams as heads into free agency.

The agreement has just been finalized so Zuckerman says he hasn't had a chance to contact the Bengals yet. But he indicated he'd be open to doing a deal before free agency begins in March.

"He's a great character kid. A good person," Zuckerman said. "I think he would like to stay with the Bengals. He's very committed and loyal and I'm sure he'll give them the first opportunity to make something happen."

Williams figures to be one of the top safeties on the board because of his ability to also play some cornerback. One possible suitor? Former Bengals defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, now working in Minnesota, was with the Bengals when they took Williams in the second round in 2004.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6605

good news. bengals definitely need madieu back. he's the only player on the defense that is solid every year.
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User

Post#7 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:28 pm

Bengals hire former Ravens LB coach FitzGerald

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Jeff FitzGerald was hired by the Cincinnati Bengals on Wednesday as linebackers coach, a role he held at Baltimore the last three seasons.

FitzGerald follows former Atlanta Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer to the Bengals as coach Marvin Lewis works on a struggling defense. The Bengals missed the playoffs the last two seasons.

Four Ravens linebackers -- Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, Terrell Suggs and Adalius Thomas -- were chosen for the 2006 Pro Bowl and the Ravens have been among the NFL leaders on defense throughout the decade. Last season, the defense ranked second against the run (79.3 yards per game) and sixth overall (301.6 yards per game).

The Bengals, who fired defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan and linebackers coach Ricky Hunley after a 7-9 season, were 27th in yards allowed and gave up 385 points.

FitzGerald, a native of Burbank, Calif., played linebacker at Oregon State and began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at the University of Cincinnati. The 15-year NFL coach also has worked for Tampa Bay, Washington and Arizona.

He joined the Ravens in 2004 as outside linebackers coach and moved up to linebackers coach in 2005.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

:beer:
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:04 am

Truly a positive development. This might help the Bengals land a prize FA in the years to come. Who knows.

Return to Cincinnati Bengals