Question on future Lions QB

Moderator: theBigLip

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,414

Question on future Lions QB 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Sun Mar 1, 2009 12:54 am

The draft is coming around the corner. With QB being a position the Lions need to fill, will they look to the draft to get a QB or will they try to trade or sign a free agent QB before the season begin?

One person in particular the Lions could look into is Texans backup QB Sage Rosenfels. The Texans are in the mist of trading him to another team. Rosenfels has been efficient whenever Matt Schaub would go down with a injury. Rather than draft a QB, would the Lions be rather off going after a seasoned vet QB?
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Re: Question on future Lions QB 

Post#2 » by ajaX82 » Sun Mar 1, 2009 9:50 pm

Well my friend, a few points

A) Rosenfels has already been traded to the NFC North (i suggest you check out Minnesotas transactions page). Its too bad, b/c he is someone i would have liked

B) Culpepper is supposedly the starter. This has been said by Furry and Orlovsky as both left. I don't know why they would lie, so i believe it

C) I hope hope hope we dont spend the 1st pick on a QB. After that we will see, but NOT #1. This team has way too many holes to go QB so early. Puting Stafford behind that line will not help but stunt his development (see: Harrington, Joey or Carr, David). Use a vet like Culpepper who knows the league, who isn't integral to the future for a season while we fill other holes. Than get a real Quarterback.

In conclusion, its Culpepper this year, after that ? I would love love love Stanton to play, but for some reason he isnt liked. anywho
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#3 » by chrbal » Mon Mar 2, 2009 4:52 pm

Rex Grossman supposedly wants to play here. Jay Cutler doesn't. So I hope its Jay.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#4 » by Liqourish » Mon Mar 2, 2009 7:19 pm

ajaX82 wrote:B) Culpepper is supposedly the starter. This has been said by Furry and Orlovsky as both left. I don't know why they would lie, so i believe it

http://www.footballforum.com/detroit-lions/95429-culpepper-has-not-been-named-lions-starter.html

Former Detroit Lions receiver Mike Furrey said during a radio interview today that Detroit's quarterbacks have been informed that Daunte Culpepper will be the starter for the 2009 season. A team source, however, said Furrey's information is incorrect.

While Culpepper could be considered the best option currently on the Lions' roster, that doesn't mean the team isn't going to bring in another player from the outside.

"We're talking through that right now as we look at free agency and the draft,'' Mayhew said. "That's an ongoing discussion we're having and it's probably the biggest personnel decision we'll have to make this off-season -- the quarterback position.''

Maybe Culpepper ends up the starter, maybe he doesn't. Seems the team hasn't decided yet despite what Furrey/Orlovsky have said.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,220

Post#5 » by ElectricMayhem » Tue Mar 3, 2009 2:27 am

Icness is reporting that we are offering our #20 and #33 for Cutler. I've been of the opinion that we're at least a year away from being ready to bring a QB in, but I'd certainly be happy getting someone like Cutler at that price.

If they did end up getting Cutler, I think that would force their hand with the first pick, though. They'd have to go OL to strengthen protection (and they wouldn't be able to address their putrid defense until the lower rounds).
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,414

Post#6 » by SD2042 » Tue Mar 3, 2009 5:22 am

ajaX82 wrote:Well my friend, a few points

A) Rosenfels has already been traded to the NFC North (i suggest you check out Minnesotas transactions page). Its too bad, b/c he is someone i would have liked

B) Culpepper is supposedly the starter. This has been said by Furry and Orlovsky as both left. I don't know why they would lie, so i believe it

C) I hope hope hope we dont spend the 1st pick on a QB. After that we will see, but NOT #1. This team has way too many holes to go QB so early. Puting Stafford behind that line will not help but stunt his development (see: Harrington, Joey or Carr, David). Use a vet like Culpepper who knows the league, who isn't integral to the future for a season while we fill other holes. Than get a real Quarterback.

In conclusion, its Culpepper this year, after that ? I would love love love Stanton to play, but for some reason he isnt liked. anywho

I've heard about the Rosenfels trade to the Vikes not too long after I've made this thread. He deserves a shot at fully starting for a team for once.

As for who the Lions who draft with their first pick, it certainly don't need to be a QB when the defense needs improving.
D-Town Pride
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#7 » by D-Town Pride » Tue Mar 3, 2009 7:22 am

I was just thinking that either stafford or sanchez could fall to #20 because KC and Minni both got their QB's, so the only two ahead of us who I think would draft a QB with a 1st rd pick would be the Jets or Tampa.
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#8 » by Liqourish » Tue Mar 3, 2009 2:30 pm

If the Lions can get Cutler, I see no reason not to go after Aaron Curry at #1.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by ajaX82 » Tue Mar 3, 2009 7:55 pm

Liqourish wrote:If the Lions can get Cutler, I see no reason not to go after Aaron Curry at #1.

Well him or Jason Smith. Cutler needs to be protected.

But yeah, i would grab Curry in that scenario.

THOUGH i would bet my bottom dollar that Cutler does not land here. I would be stunned beyond belief.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by ajaX82 » Tue Mar 3, 2009 7:55 pm

D-Town Pride wrote:I was just thinking that either stafford or sanchez could fall to #20 because KC and Minni both got their QB's, so the only two ahead of us who I think would draft a QB with a 1st rd pick would be the Jets or Tampa.

Very true, which is why we should not pick Stafford at 1. Hope someone falls to 20
m23uza1hem36
Starter
And1: 1

Post#11 » by m23uza1hem36 » Wed Mar 4, 2009 3:08 am

I don't like the idea of drafting a quarter back with the #1 pick but if we can't sign or trade for a decent quarter back who wouldn't mind playing for a team completely rebuilding, then I'd take Stafford.
Follow @mouzaihem
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#12 » by Liqourish » Wed Mar 4, 2009 10:24 pm

Stafford would be my #1 if we can't trade for a guy first. I have heard that the Lions have interest in Jay Cutler and Derek Anderson, but nothing solid is on the table right now.

Culpepper would make a nice backup, but he's not a starting caliber QB anymore. Having him teach a young QB would be ideal. Stanton obviously isn't in the Lions plans if he didn't get some time with Kitna/Culpepper/Orlovsky all being morons last season.

Stafford is a young QB with a GREAT arm and has played on a team without a strong o-line. He also wants to come to Detroit and help build the team from the ground up. Yeah, he won't get us to the playoffs next year, but could taking a franchise QB #1 really make this team any worst than 0-16?

I know we need help on the lines. But we're not going to fix those lines in one draft or even one season. This is going to be a long rebuild. Why not get your QB now and build around him? Build the offense around Matt Stafford/Calvin Johnson/Kevin Smith? You can still upgrade your defense while these young guys develop. It doesn't have to be one or the other. We can do both. We need to do both.
PistonFan4Life
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#13 » by PistonFan4Life » Sun Mar 8, 2009 12:33 am

Liqourish wrote:Stafford would be my #1 if we can't trade for a guy first. I have heard that the Lions have interest in Jay Cutler and Derek Anderson, but nothing solid is on the table right now.

Culpepper would make a nice backup, but he's not a starting caliber QB anymore. Having him teach a young QB would be ideal. Stanton obviously isn't in the Lions plans if he didn't get some time with Kitna/Culpepper/Orlovsky all being morons last season.

Stafford is a young QB with a GREAT arm and has played on a team without a strong o-line. He also wants to come to Detroit and help build the team from the ground up. Yeah, he won't get us to the playoffs next year, but could taking a franchise QB #1 really make this team any worst than 0-16?

I know we need help on the lines. But we're not going to fix those lines in one draft or even one season. This is going to be a long rebuild. Why not get your QB now and build around him? Build the offense around Matt Stafford/Calvin Johnson/Kevin Smith? You can still upgrade your defense while these young guys develop. It doesn't have to be one or the other. We can do both. We need to do both.

Would Stafford really be a good quarterback in the NFL? I know the draft is a risk, but I look at Stafford's TD/INT numbers in college and it is not impressive. He seems like he wouldn't even get consideration for being the #1 pick (or in my opinion even a first round pick) except the NFL has a serious shortage of quality QBs right now. There is no way the Lions are going from 0-16 this year to a contender next year, so why not address the OL and Defense in this years draft and then draft a franchise QB in the next year or two when we are more prepared to go somewhere. I guess I would rather draft a QB who has some potential in a later round and just stick with Culpepper this year unless we can get Cutler for a decent deal with Denver.
freddy
Senior
And1: 10

Post#14 » by freddy » Mon Mar 9, 2009 2:01 pm

If Denver would not accept #20 & #33 for Cutler do you think they would do #1 for #12 + Cutler? Or maybe something like the #1 this year and a #2 next year for Cuter +#12?

Although our luck would be that the Lions trade #1 to Denver who picks Stafford and he ends up being a stud, future HOF QB just because the Lions didn't pick him.....

I am not a fan of taking a QB #1 though...they always seem to be hit or miss....more miss than hit. The Lions can't afford to miss on another top prospect. What the Lions should do is trade ALL of their draft picks for proven players (ok probably an over statement, hopefully the new regime will be better at drafting than the previous).
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#15 » by Liqourish » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:41 pm

Per wiretap, Lions might trade the #20 pick to Denver for Jay Cutler if the Broncos can get a quarterback at 20. This obviously would be a draft ngiht trade, but something to keep an eye on.

With Kansas getting Cassel and the Lions interested in Aaron Curry, Sanchez could potentially fall to #20 but everything would have to fall into place.
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#16 » by Liqourish » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Jay Cutler has reportedly (from his own words) asked to be traded. I think Mayhew can get in there and snatch him up with a pick or two plus whatever filler (besides CJ and KS) the Broncos want.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by ajaX82 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:41 pm

^^ I thought they wanted the 20th pick and maybe another later one. That would be awesome; i would do it in a second
cochiseuofm
Veteran
And1: 609

Post#18 » by cochiseuofm » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:15 pm

Why would Denver only agree to the deal if a QB is available at 20? That report sounds bogus to me. They have the 12th pick, I'm sure if they plan on trading Cutler they'll lock up their QB of choice with that pick.

If I'm the Lions, I am offering the #1 overall. No prospect is better value than a mid-20s Pro Bowl QB who has proven he can play in the NFL. In fact, given our history for drafting underachieving busts and injury prone disappointments, I'd trade both 1sts for Cutler if that is what it took.

I won't be ultimately disappointed if we don't get him, but we do need to pull out all the stops to try. Getting a legit franchise QB that someone else groomed is exactly the boost Lions fans need. And Jay's rocket arm is a perfect fit with Calvin Johnson's ability.

Return to Detroit Lions