ImageImageImageImage

Peterson now a Lion

Moderator: theBigLip

PistonFan4Life
Rookie
And1: 0

Peterson now a Lion 

Post#1 » by PistonFan4Life » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:48 pm

Mayhew just made a deal, per ESPN, to acquire LB Julian Peterson from the Seahawks for DT Cory Redding and our 1st pick in the 5th round.

link to story:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3980169
Bartender
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Re: Peterson now a Lion 

Post#2 » by Bartender » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Peterson and Simms LB core.. pretty solid.
TSE wrote:Wow I actually like this trade, good job Mayhew!
PistonFan4Life
Rookie

Post#3 » by PistonFan4Life » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:06 pm

Yes, this move should solidify the linebacker position. It also means the Lions will focus on either DL, OL, or QB with the first overall pick now and no chance of Curry coming to Detroit with the #1 overall pick. I don't think we will draft a QB either, so I think this move means we go OL with the first pick and then trade for Culter later in the first round and then spend the rest of the draft focusing on the defense.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#4 » by Liqourish » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:05 am

Well this move came out of left field but I approve. Seems Mayhew has a solid plan in place and is executing well.

Draft is going to be huge. Alot of questions will be answered after the draft is completed.
PistonFan4Life
Rookie

Post#5 » by PistonFan4Life » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:45 pm

Liqourish wrote:Well this move came out of left field but I approve. Seems Mayhew has a solid plan in place and is executing well.

Draft is going to be huge. Alot of questions will be answered after the draft is completed.

Hey Liqourish, Doesn't this move seem likely to open up that the Lions are going to bring in a new defensive lineman or offensive lineman with the first pick (or trade down with same result), make a trade for Cultler later in the first round and then address the issues on defense the remainder of the draft? We would of course still need to find a quality offensive lineman if we don't take one with the first pick.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#6 » by Liqourish » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:53 pm

I dunno.

Peterson and Sims seem to occupy the linebacker positions, but if Curry is thought of as the top talent in the draft, I don't see why the Lions should pass on him. They could always make another move later to free up the position or let him learn the ropes from Ernie Sims for a year or two.

Stafford could still end up being the #1 pick. Especially if the Lions feel like Denvers not really interested in moving Cutler and they want to develop a QB since Culpepper isn't the answer.

Everyone wants the Lions to draft quick fixes. But there are far too many holes and it's going to take awhile to build the team from the ground up. The best thing the Lions can do is assemble talented players that have hunger and then give them time to develop.

No QB is going to come in and dominate. No OT is going to come in and dominate. No OLB is going to come in an dominate. And no draft pick is going to come in and turn this franchise around single-handedly. Yet fans want to draft players based on who they think can (or can't) come in and improve this team right away.

Hopefully, Mayhew does what's best for the team. Whether that's drafting Curry despite getting Peterson (and having Sims), or drafting Smith (because he has a deal for Cutler) or drafting Stafford, because he's the best damn QB in the draft and has one helluva arm on him and could throw daggers to CJ every damn time down the field.

I don't know if trading Redding for Peterson means anything pertaining to the draft besides the fact that we're now down a 5th round pick. I think Mayhews plans will shape up after the draft and we'll get an idea of what he's invisioning. Hell, We could draft Crabtree at #1 and find out it wasn't all Millens fault afterall LOL.
nadiroo13
Sixth Man
And1: 5

Post#7 » by nadiroo13 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:41 pm

I like the trade for us.
Redding wasn't really producing and peterson sets up a great LB core for us.

Imagine if we picked up Curry with the #1 Pick.

Sims/Curry/Peterson

Best LB Core in the the league IMO
lol, i guess it's been a while.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#8 » by ajaX82 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:49 pm

Redding played well for two seconds and earned an insane contract which he never lived up to. So bye bye to him. But a 30 year old LB isnt probably on the upside of his career.

Still a solid move. I would like to see Peterson/Dizon/Sims be the starters and to now draft Jason Smith. We shall see
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,220

Post#9 » by ElectricMayhem » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:06 am

I loved Peterson on the Spartans. He had an uncanny nose for the ball and making the big play.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!

Return to Detroit Lions