ImageImageImageImage

Lions agree to trade Alexander for WR Dennis Northcutt

Moderator: theBigLip

kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Lions agree to trade Alexander for WR Dennis Northcutt 

Post#1 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:53 am

The Detroit Lions have agreed to trade safety Gerald Alexander to Jacksonville for wide receiver Dennis Northcutt, an NFL source said today.Northcutt, 31, is a 5-foot-11, 172-pounder who caught 44 passes each of the past two seasons for the Jaguars
m23uza1hem36
Starter
And1: 1

Re: Lions agree to trade Alexander for WR Dennis Northcutt 

Post#2 » by m23uza1hem36 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:27 am

Welcome!

As for the trade, isn't really significant to me...
Follow @mouzaihem
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#3 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:57 am

Thanks for the welcome .All these trades and pick-ups will be significant when we start the season because their changing the face of the team.
It seems ever since they traded roy williams to dallas there trying to find a replacements for him.
This off season they have pick up many recievers hopefully a couple of them will panout.
The Lions had a logjam at safety, but they had a need at wide receiver and in the return game.
Northcutt, 31, is a 5-foot-11, 172-pounder who could fit in the slot between Calvin Johnson and Bryant Johnson and return punts
m23uza1hem36
Starter
And1: 1

Post#4 » by m23uza1hem36 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:29 pm

^^
I think one will at least pan out, having Johnson is good enough for me. Of course, that's coming from an Eagle's fan and we've never had multiple "average or good wide receivers" with a really, really good receiver like Calvin Johnson...of course we also have McNabb who I think has one of the most under rated careers in the NFL.
Follow @mouzaihem
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#5 » by ajaX82 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:01 am

Stupid stupid.

Alexander was young and still had a shot at starting. Northcutt is like our 6th reciever aquired after Johnson, Curry, Williams and Colbert and whoever i am forgetting. how many do we need?
PistonFan4Life
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#6 » by PistonFan4Life » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:04 am

ajaX82 wrote:Stupid stupid.

Alexander was young and still had a shot at starting. Northcutt is like our 6th reciever aquired after Johnson, Curry, Williams and Colbert and whoever i am forgetting. how many do we need?

I agree this is a stupid trade for the Lions. We really didn't need to add another WR and even if we needed someone we could have just signed someone to a free agent deal. I hate having to give up on a young player in the secondary that seemed to have a lot of potential to get a wide receiver who isn't going to be a big impact player.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#7 » by kellmellus50 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:23 pm

The Lions had a logjam at safety, but they had a need in the return game.

The reason they got him is mainly for the kick return game in his first 2 years he was avergeing 11-13 yards on punt returns. Our return game last year was nothing to talk about.
Kapono24
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Kapono24 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:39 pm

We just drafted Louis Delmas who I think can also handle the kick return role.

I'm also a huge Jaguars fan and I really enjoyed Northcutt's season last year. He was the only reliable reciever they had. I have no idea why the Jags traded him but he is taylor made to be a 2 or 3 reciever.
313 Professor
Starter
And1: 963

Post#9 » by 313 Professor » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:01 pm

ajaX82 wrote:Stupid stupid.

I agree. I can understand the acquisition a little, but Alexander was one of my favorites his rookie year. The guy has talent.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#10 » by ajaX82 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:10 am

Well according to Mlive, Alexander was going to get cut anyways. If thats the case, i guess i am ok with the trade. might as well get value.

In judging the value of the trade, one of the main factors is that Alexander probably wasn't going to make the Lions' roster anyway. And, if he did, he wouldn't have seen much playing time.

The Lions' new coaching staff wasn't impressed by Alexander, who they felt lacked the explosion and quickness to be effective at that position.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... der_w.html

Return to Detroit Lions