Jahvid Best Done for Season

Moderator: theBigLip

TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Jahvid Best Done for Season 

Post#1 » by TSE » Fri Nov 2, 2012 8:11 pm

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/articl ... ba0bdf31d8

No one on the team has shown more dedication or worked harder than he has?

So does that mean everybody else is perfect with regard to their effort as he is, or are they all lesser?

If they are the same then how could we possibly lose 4 games already with the talent on this roster and everybody giving absolutely everything they have?

The only other explanation is that he is providing a weak effort and the rest of the team is also weak or even lesser than that, or the losses are because of the coaches/mngmt not being good enough and the players deserve little to no blame for the losses, which is my suggestion of what is happening this year.

Hopefully Best can become healthy next year and that his career can continue, but even more upsetting is the attitude of our GM in this matter. We have lost 4 games that we shouldn't have lost, it's his fault and the coaches fault, and he's even making statements that indirectly confirm as such, yet we aren't doing anything to solve these problems, what gives?
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: Jahvid Best Done for Season 

Post#2 » by Icness » Fri Nov 2, 2012 10:07 pm

What they are saying:
We love Best, we wish he could have made it back and he tried his best to get back. But the severity of his injury and recurring issues related to his concussion history dictate that we cannot clear him for active duty.

They're sending a message that he's done, without saying he's done. They're not going to come out and say anything but positives. If they blasted him for being hurt, they are open to lawsuits. Beyond that, it would raise serious issues in the locker room and with potential free agent signees and their agents.

Best is done and everyone knows it. But he has to be the one that says so, not the team.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
TSE
Banned User

Post#3 » by TSE » Fri Nov 2, 2012 10:12 pm

Interesting translation attempt, but that's not what he said, and that's up to him to confirm if that's what he meant to say. He said a lot of things that spurred my questions above that need answers, otherwise they are insulting their own players. You can't have it both ways, either it's insulting to our players, or there's major problems with this team one way or another, so when Mayhew can respond to what I posted there and explain his comments in concert with the questions I asked, then I see no way he can do that in a positive and intelligent way that wouldn't be a direct confession that he has failed miserably at his job. The only possible exception to that is if he threw all of his coaches under the bus and claimed he had no power to do anything about their shortcomings.

Of course he could always play the politician card and say that is totally not what he means and he misspoke, but then I want a correct position on Best's effort and dedication as well as the rest of the players on the team.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,205

Post#4 » by ElectricMayhem » Sat Nov 3, 2012 3:56 am

You would be fun at eulogies.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
TSE
Banned User

Post#5 » by TSE » Sat Nov 3, 2012 4:26 am

Yeah I can do some mild juggling and tell some jokes, it will be a blast if you want to hire me for one. :)

But hey I'm not nitpicking for my health, I take my football very seriously and I have a vision for how this game should be managed and how it should be played. I'm not a professional in the business but I'm highly confident I could dominate in this league if I had my own team and I expect that our team should be able to do at least as well if not better. Although I don't see how anybody can beat me in football mngmt, I just have to believe I'm the best across the board, after all I have been through and all I have seen and all I have figured out, I just feel I get it, and I get it better than everybody else. The onus is on everybody else, or anybody else to prove that they are better than me and can win better than me, and until we have that for our town and our franchise then I'm going to set myself as the benchmark and challenge those in charge to get the job done, because to me it's not that complicated and so I expect it.

I don't feel I should be frowned upon for speaking my mind and telling everybody how it is, because this is a show-me business and it's about just talking a good game it's about backing up a good game and I'm passionate and hungry for us to take control and win and furthermore dominate, and I challenge our team to do that whether they can hear me or not. I know I can back up what I can do in this game, and as long as I don't have the job then I have every right and every responsibility to speak up and demand the same from those who do have the job. And they are not doing their jobs and they are not coming close to getting the job done. It may not be fun to hear me gripe and complain, but the bigger travesty is the team not actually acting and forcing change to go ahead and win. We have been patient long enough, and it's not that difficult when you set your mind to it and you learn the game and you create a plan for success. I have a plan for success, I built it, all by myself, and it has taken me almost a decade to do, but I have it down and now it's time for our team to have it down. I'm done waiting and I'm not going to keep quiet about it, and I'll go away and stop complaining when our team takes this game seriously and goes out and wins like we should with every advantage we have had given to us. It's time to capitalize and make it happen and further delays are just unacceptable.

So sorry for the long rant but I'm fired up and passionate about this game to no end and I can't help myself, I'm excited and I'm viciously hungry and I have a lot on my mind as I think about football all day long every day and am constantly working to refine my ideas even further and get better for no other reason other than to say I can and I will and further declare my dominance in being the best at what I do. So with that being said, who has recently passed away and what city are you located in and I charge $500 an hour plus expenses to get fired up about somebody dying. Are you ready to hire me for that eulogy? :)
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,205

Post#6 » by ElectricMayhem » Sat Nov 3, 2012 5:30 am

I wasn't making reference to your complaining as much as your lack of understanding/tolerance (take your pick) to the act of paying lip service to a hard worker. I don't care about you juggling acumen, I don't even want you to do the eulogizing, I just want you to stand up from the 15th pew and say,

"So hold on here a second....You're saying she had the kindest heart ever? You mean to say every person who has been on this Earth over the past however many million years had either an equally or less kind heart? Do you have any substantive proof beyond your hearsay and conjecture to give your claims any sort of credibility?"

I can't even begin to imagine the rage that swallows your body like a tempest whenever you see a "World's Best Dad" coffee mug or t-shirt. Talk about idiot myopic kids making baseless claims...
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
TSE
Banned User

Post#7 » by TSE » Sat Nov 3, 2012 6:05 am

^
I gotcha, well that's a bit different, there are 6 billion people in the world and to say "she had the kindest heart ever" is a different type of sentiment than the types of words Mayhew used for a competitive professional sports environment of a limited group where those ideals are hardcore focused on and aggressively monitored very deliberately. I mean it almost sounded like he was intentionally trying to call out the team on purpose by saying hey look a guy who can't even play is fighting harder than you guys. It was dancing a fine line and I'm just holding him accountable because it seems like a very bizarre way to challenge the team. It's one thing to get up in the locker room and talk about what you expect from the team, but to do it in a press conference as a backhanded negative motivation tactic is just not cool. And I'm not saying he's doing that on purpose, he might not have intended that at all, but it sure sounded pretty damn clear to me. And as such it deserves follow up questions and clarification.

And no rage does not consume me in any circumstance, I have a remarkable control of my emotions and I channel them quite appropriately for any situation. I'm one of the most mild-mannered easy going guys you could ever possibly find, but when I get pumped up I can definitely be the scariest guy in the room. It just depends on the situation, but if intensity is needed then I have unlimited intensity. It's about whatever it takes to win and my body and mind have no limitations when something important is on the line. I kind of consider myself like having superhero powers like the Incredible Hulk, I can turn the knob from 0-100 and I only go as far as any situation needs, and the bigger the moment and the more on the line, the higher I can go, and to no practical limit. Whatever it takes to win is all that I understand.

But on a side note there is a funny episode of Futurama where if memory serves me correct the old guy on the show (Farnsworth) pulls out a coffee mug in one scene that says "World's #1 Best Grandpa", and then the main character (Fry) pulls out his mug and it says something like "World's 746,824 Best Delivery Boy". :)
joseph mamah
Starter
And1: 178

Post#8 » by joseph mamah » Sun Nov 4, 2012 4:54 pm

ElectricMayhem wrote:I wasn't making reference to your complaining as much as your lack of understanding/tolerance (take your pick) to the act of paying lip service to a hard worker. I don't care about you juggling acumen, I don't even want you to do the eulogizing, I just want you to stand up from the 15th pew and say,

"So hold on here a second....You're saying she had the kindest heart ever? You mean to say every person who has been on this Earth over the past however many million years had either an equally or less kind heart? Do you have any substantive proof beyond your hearsay and conjecture to give your claims any sort of credibility?"

I can't even begin to imagine the rage that swallows your body like a tempest whenever you see a "World's Best Dad" coffee mug or t-shirt. Talk about idiot myopic kids making baseless claims...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :argue: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TSE
Banned User

Post#9 » by TSE » Sun Nov 4, 2012 10:13 pm

^
Or maybe I should give toasts at weddings so that I can inform the newlyweds about the statistical likelihood that they aren't going to make it in the long-run. LOL
TSE
Banned User

Post#10 » by TSE » Sun Nov 4, 2012 10:17 pm

^
Or maybe I should give toasts at weddings so that I can inform the newlyweds about the statistical likelihood that they aren't going to make it in the long-run. LOL

Return to Detroit Lions