ImageImageImageImage

Lions begin talks with #1 pick

Moderator: theBigLip

Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Re: Lions begin talks with #1 pick 

Post#21 » by Liqourish » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:16 pm

Well unless they can't reach a deal in the next 48 hours, Stafford will be a Detroit Lion. Curry has now come out and said he'd take $5 million less than what Jake Long got last year to be the #1 pick. The feeling I get is that Curry just wants to go #1 and doesn't really care about the team he's going to. I still think he's the best overall talent though. But with Sims and Peterson, I don't think the Lions will take him.

The first overall pick in the 2009 NFL draft the Detroit Lions select Matthew Stafford. Quarterback out of the University of Georgia.

I think #20 will be an OT, maybe William Beatty or Eben Britton, unless someone drastically falls to #20 and the Lions take the best talent.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#22 » by ajaX82 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:05 am

Liqourish wrote:Well unless they can't reach a deal in the next 48 hours, Stafford will be a Detroit Lion. Curry has now come out and said he'd take $5 million less than what Jake Long got last year to be the #1 pick. The feeling I get is that Curry just wants to go #1 and doesn't really care about the team he's going to. I still think he's the best overall talent though. But with Sims and Peterson, I don't think the Lions will take him.

The first overall pick in the 2009 NFL draft the Detroit Lions select Matthew Stafford. Quarterback out of the University of Georgia.

I think #20 will be an OT, maybe William Beatty or Eben Britton, unless someone drastically falls to #20 and the Lions take the best talent.

I will bet my bottom dollar 20 is a DT or MLB; Maualuga or Peria Jerry for reals
Saqib71687
Junior
And1: 0

Post#23 » by Saqib71687 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:31 am

I hope the lions draft arron curry. Defense matters almost as much as offense. The lions could simply trade for a qb. If seahawks or redskins draft sanchez, then those teams might be willing to trade hassleback or campbell. They might want the lions 2nd pick and some other picks in the other round, but it might be worth it.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,191

Post#24 » by bstein14 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:54 am

Well it looks like Stafford it is for 6 years $41 million.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,775

Post#25 » by Cowology » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:21 am

bstein14 wrote:Well it looks like Stafford it is for 6 years $41 million.

yeoch....
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#26 » by Liqourish » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:28 am

I'm happy with the pick, not the price. Whats the point of negotiations when all you do is hand out the best damn offer?

Anyways, the Lions got themselves a good franchise QB with a great arm and good head on his shoulders to groom. And then 8 more picks to address other needs. I don't get why everyone is acting like the #1 pick is all the Lions have to choose from. They have other picks and free agency to help fill in holes. The same way they would have if they traded the #1 pick for a young QB to put on the bench.

I expect the Lions to draft a OT with either #20 or #33.
cochiseuofm
Veteran
And1: 609

Post#27 » by cochiseuofm » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:01 pm

What do you think Matthew Mayhew did during the "negotiations"? Make a sandwich? Catch up on TV shows he DVRed? Because he sure as hell didn't spend any time trying to get a good deal for the Lions.

If we hadn't taken Stafford, he would have most likely dropped to 8 or 12. He would be lucky to get $15-20 million guaranteed there. Yet somehow we decided, forget that leverage...we'll just give this rookie the most money ever guaranteed. Never mind that the state we play in is going to s*** and we probably will have all eight games blacked out this season, this is our guy.

I mean honestly, if some dips*** agent came into my office demanding the most money ever guaranteed for a rookie who, by most accounts, has consistency issues and flaws that need to be worked on in his game...I would tell him to f*** off and take Stafford off my board. It is pretty clear to me that the Lions threats of moving to Curry were empty all along, and I'm sure Stafford's agent knew it from the second the "negotiations" started.

I don't have anything against Stafford, but, at this price, this is a terrible decision. It sets unrealistic expectations for Stafford, it sets a bad precedent for paying draft picks, and it shows a lack of competence in the front office, not that that is anything new.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,775

Post#28 » by Cowology » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:23 pm

cochiseuofm wrote:What do you think Matthew Mayhew did during the "negotiations"? Make a sandwich? Catch up on TV shows he DVRed? Because he sure as hell didn't spend any time trying to get a good deal for the Lions.

If we hadn't taken Stafford, he would have most likely dropped to 8 or 12. He would be lucky to get $15-20 million guaranteed there. Yet somehow we decided, forget that leverage...we'll just give this rookie the most money ever guaranteed. Never mind that the state we play in is going to s*** and we probably will have all eight games blacked out this season, this is our guy.

I mean honestly, if some dips*** agent came into my office demanding the most money ever guaranteed for a rookie who, by most accounts, has consistency issues and flaws that need to be worked on in his game...I would tell him to f*** off and take Stafford off my board. It is pretty clear to me that the Lions threats of moving to Curry were empty all along, and I'm sure Stafford's agent knew it from the second the "negotiations" started.

I don't have anything against Stafford, but, at this price, this is a terrible decision. It sets unrealistic expectations for Stafford, it sets a bad precedent for paying draft picks, and it shows a lack of competence in the front office, not that that is anything new.

It means that when we wind up with the 1st pick in the draft next year we're gonna wind up having to pay them $50 mil. la sigh...
nadiroo13
Sixth Man
And1: 5

Post#29 » by nadiroo13 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:49 am

The Lions could have gotten Micheal Oher at 20 and Maualuga at 33. Those two picks along with Stafford, I would have walked away happy.

Instead they go for a TE and a random safety. same old lions...
lol, i guess it's been a while.
cochiseuofm
Veteran
And1: 609

Post#30 » by cochiseuofm » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:09 am

Honestly, this draft weekend has felt like a bad dream to me, a nightmare even. The Stafford contract was bad enough. But then we go out and draft a blocking TE who had a total of 472 yards and 0 TDs his senior year and a defensive back I've never heard of instead of two solid prospects at positions we actually need. Oher and Maluaga should have been no-brainer picks.

I could rant for hours about this...but it seriously doesn't matter.

At least we aren't Raider fans...Al Davis drafted a WR he could have gotten late first-round at 7 and followed it up by drafting a player no one had video footage of to show when he got drafted. That man has to have lost his mind.
Saqib71687
Junior
And1: 0

Post#31 » by Saqib71687 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:30 am

The lions made a solid pick at 1st with matt stafford. He is probably better than mark sanchez. As for drafting brandon pettigew, he is an excellent blocker and would be a great fit for Lineahan's systtem. Yeah the lions sort of messed up getting some safety from western michigan in the 2nd round, with everette brown and Rey were still availible. Anyway in the 2nd day, I expect them to take like either dj moore or marcus freeman at 3rd round 1st. Then at 3rd round 18th , they could take greg vasquez or greg isdaner.
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#32 » by Liqourish » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:22 am

I was okay with Pettigrew because along with Rey Maualuga, he was the best talent available at #20. But drafting Louis Delmas at #33 with Eben Britton, Rey Maualuga, James Laurinitias(sp?), William Beatty and Everette Brown still on the board makes absolutely zero sense to me. :-?
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,191

Post#33 » by bstein14 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:47 pm

I love the idea of getting a big physical TE who excels at blocking.

We've always needed more help there for our QB and RBs.

I too was hoping for the OSU linebacker James Laurinatis with our 2nd rounder because he's been so good and dominant in the big ten but I guess that doesn't always translate to NFL success.

I'll have faith in our new management until they fail enough to make me doubt them.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#34 » by ajaX82 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:48 pm

bstein14 wrote:I love the idea of getting a big physical TE who excels at blocking.

We've always needed more help there for our QB and RBs.

I too was hoping for the OSU linebacker James Laurinatis with our 2nd rounder because he's been so good and dominant in the big ten but I guess that doesn't always translate to NFL success.

I'll have faith in our new management until they fail enough to make me doubt them.

I agree. Pettgirew was needed...i mean our TE's last year were Dan Campbell and Casey Fitzsimmons. jesus. He is a great blocker, so its almost like adding a OL.

Delmas may have been a reach, but he is like a LB in his own right. I wasnt terribly sold on Rey (too dumb) or James (too slow), so i am ok for now.

Years will tell the tale
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#35 » by Liqourish » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:26 pm

Well I haven't been too concerned with any picks. I think Delmas can come in and produce right away for us. I just thought there were better players available. But I like Delmas.

I didn't think the Lions would draft Pettigrew even though he was on everyones draft board. I really like the pick though. His size is unreal.

I thought it was good to see the Lions trade down with the Jets from their 3rd round pick to a lower 3rd and gain a 4th rounder and 7th rounder. Lions will end up with 10 draft picks.

#1/1- Matthew Stafford 6'2" 225lb QB
#20/1- Brandon Pettigrew 6'5" 263lb TE
#33/2- Louis Delmas 5'11" 202lb S
#76/3- DeAndre Levy 6'2" 236lb OLB
#82/3- Derrick Williams 6'0" 194lb WR
#115/4- Sammie Lee Hill 6'4" 329lb DT
#192/6- Aaron Brown 6'1" 196lb RB
#228/7- Lydon Murtha 6'7" 315lb OT
#235/7- Zack Follett 6'2" 238lb OLB
#255/7- Dan Gronkowski 6'6" 255lb TE

Return to Detroit Lions