Re: 2011/12 Draft Prospects 

Post#181 » by ajaX82 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:05 am

Ice who we interested in? Hook a brother up
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#182 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:31 am

we'll trade up if one of the CB's or Barron we're interested in falls, looks like there's a possibility we'll trade down if the board falls right since we have a bunch of 3-4 defenses behind us.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#183 » by Icness » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:31 pm

Dre Kirkpatrick
Whitney Mercilus
Nick Perry

Good bet the first round pick is one of those three guys. If they're all gone, then OL comes into play.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#184 » by ajaX82 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:17 pm

Icness wrote:Dre Kirkpatrick
Whitney Mercilus
Nick Perry

Good bet the first round pick is one of those three guys. If they're all gone, then OL comes into play.

D-line you serious? We have other positions of need and that is not one of them.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#185 » by Piston Pete » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:09 pm

I'm hoping Kirkpatrick falls to us.

Any guys you think/know we're targeting in round 2? Any chance we take Janoris Jenkins if he falls to us in rd 2? Or will we be looking to add o-linemen in rds 2-4?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#186 » by Icness » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:11 pm

ajaX82 wrote:
Whitney Mercilus
Nick Perry

D-line you serious? We have other positions of need and that is not one of them.

They are more worried than they let on that Avril will be gone after next year and KVB is approaching the end. This D does not work without stud pass rushers.

If RIley Reiff is there he would be the pick over anyone but Kirkpatrick, but he figures to be gone.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#187 » by Icness » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:14 pm

Piston Pete wrote:I'm hoping Kirkpatrick falls to us.

Any guys you think/know we're targeting in round 2? Any chance we take Janoris Jenkins if he falls to us in rd 2? Or will we be looking to add o-linemen in rds 2-4?

Janoris Jenkins will not be a Detroit Lion, period. Not after the recent pot busts, no chance.

Mitchell Schwartz from Cal is a definite 2nd round target. I know they like Bobby Wagner LB Utah State quite a bit but I'm not sure they'll pull the trigger if he's there in the 2nd. And me might not be. David Molk from Michigan is a potential 3rd/4th round Lion.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#188 » by Piston Pete » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:16 pm

Carzy idea....not even sure it would be plausible under the new CBA - so if not, just yell at me :wink:

But was wondering why we don't look into trading Avril to Pittsburgh for WR Mike Wallace.

Wallace opposite Megatron would be sick, and we could look to get another DE or two via the draft.

1) CB Kirkpatrick
2) Best DE available
3-7) Another DE, another OL, a RB, another CB or S, and a late-round QB.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#189 » by ajaX82 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:17 am

Icness wrote:
ajaX82 wrote:
Whitney Mercilus
Nick Perry

They are more worried than they let on that Avril will be gone after next year and KVB is approaching the end. This D does not work without stud pass rushers.

If RIley Reiff is there he would be the pick over anyone but Kirkpatrick, but he figures to be gone.

Well my initial surprise and apprehension is a bit diminished after looking at those two. I must admit Perry and Mercilus are pretty interesting. Both seem to be very fast, pass-rush oriented guys who could reek havoc with Suh and Fairley clogging the middle and have a fair amount of upside.

Still, I mean we HAVE to address the o-line in the first at some point don't we?
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#190 » by TSE » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:34 am

There's only one first though. That's why you need to get more 1sts in advance or you don't need the 1sts. Plus in this draft there's not much OL value for pick 23. Any way you slice it it just doesn't make sense because we don't have a very good plan in advance for solving any positional group.

A day late and a dollar short is our constant predicament.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#191 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:35 am

What are the chances we try to move up in the first round to grab a guy like Gilmore
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#192 » by Piston Pete » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:36 am

My new Mock Draft - pick it apart if you please:

1) CB Kirkpatrick (Bama)
2) OG Brooks (Miami, OH)
3) OT Schwartz (Cal)
4) RB Gray (Texas A&M)
5) WR McNutt (Iowa)
6) CB/S Fletcher (Boston College)
7) LB Burfict (Arizona St.)
TSE
Banned User

Post#193 » by TSE » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:37 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:What are the chances we try to move up in the first round to grab a guy like Gilmore

2.63%
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#194 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:39 am

how do we feel about Chandler Jones? he looks like he's going to be a great DE
TSE
Banned User

Post#195 » by TSE » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:08 am

Piston Pete wrote:My new Mock Draft - pick it apart if you please:

1) CB Kirkpatrick (Bama)
2) OG Brooks (Miami, OH)
3) OT Schwartz (Cal)
4) RB Gray (Texas A&M)
5) WR McNutt (Iowa)
6) CB/S Fletcher (Boston College)
7) LB Burfict (Arizona St.)

I've already said my pieces about taking a CB at 23, but other than that looks somewhat ok. My biggest gripe would be the OT in Rd 3, I'm not sure a mid-level OT helps out although I don't know where we stand on our project OTs such as Fox and I think an OT needs to be a bigger investment or no investment, but still can't hurt to find good value there so not a big issue.

The thing that jumps out at me the most is I don't think Burfict will last until Round 7. I'd be pulling the trigger on him earlier than that, I like him, he's my kind of guy, good potential and everybody bashing on him for all of the wrong reasons. And I like his attitude. He seems interesting to me and I'd love to get to know him more. I haven't even bothered to watch the full tape on him since he's such a wildcard to go anywhere at this point and I don't have the time to study everybody. I just know that I'm interested and he'd have a shot on my team. Assuming a full and proper review panned out, I don't care if none of the other teams want him because I would turn him into a star if I decided to pick him.

You don't have to teach him to hurt the other players, he would do that naturally; dude hits hard, and he's good clay for somebody that understands him and his wavelength.

I can also tell you this, I would take him over Andre Branch (although I respect Branch's projected value just that I'm not interested in taking him as high as others would so I wouldn't have to take Burfict that high to get Burfict anyhow). Branch is a faker and embellishes his own talent. Branch according to Branch is "unstoppable" yet to me he was pretty much stoppable on almost every play he has ever participated in. He is a worthy prospect but not grounded properly. Burfict is in his own way. He is already casually talking about playing Arena football while most guys in his position would be tooting their own horn about being the greatest ever and that they belong in the first round. He's not afraid to crap on his own stock because he's wired differently and I see nothing but opportunity. The guy is smarter than people give him credit for. He's honest and sincere and every time the guy speaks I listen because I see where he's coming from. I see he has genuine heart and the right mindset and I would love to have him in a room with myself and me only. I don't need the other coaches there because I already know what all of the other coaches have been saying about him, and to me it would be about my connection with him and my program for him. While the rest of the league blacklists him from playing on their team, I'd be scooping him up and giving those teams a taste of their own medicine and they can play against him and have their prized players get crunched. I know how to work with talent that isn't accepted or appreciated elsewhere and working together we would take his game to the next level.

I like Vontaze Burfict. Unleash the beast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvcsffTQojI
TSE
Banned User

Post#196 » by TSE » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:49 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:how do we feel about Chandler Jones? he looks like he's going to be a great DE

Very good football player, and can't hurt that he's the brother of Jon Jones who's arguably the best pound-for-pound fighter on the planet. I'd rather talk about him to be honest. ;)

SPOILER ALERT:
I'm just a little bitter after the Rashad Evans fight, because if I remember correctly only one of the judges awarded Jones a victory in all 5 rounds. He pretty much did more damage to Rashad by beating the crap out of him with his shoulder blasts than Rashad could do with every one of his body parts.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#197 » by Icness » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:00 pm

My Lions mock:
1st--Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois
2nd--Lavonte David, LB, Nebraska
3rd--Jeremy Lane, CB, Northwestern State
4th--Brandon Mosley, T, Auburn
5th--Quentin Saulsbery, C, Mississippi State
7th--Devier Posey, WR, Ohio State
7th--Mike Harris, CB, Florida State
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#198 » by ajaX82 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:57 pm

Icness wrote:My Lions mock:

I could definitely live with this, though every mock I've seen has Mercilus gone before our pick. I'd say it look more likely for Perry to be there
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#199 » by Piston Pete » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:04 pm

ajaX82 wrote:
Icness wrote:My Lions mock:

I could definitely live with this, though every mock I've seen has Mercilus gone before our pick. I'd say it look more likely for Perry to be there

If we take Mercilus or Perry - would that open the door for an Avril trade of some sort? Possibly for at least one 2nd-day draft pick or a player?
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 234

Post#200 » by Sheeeeed » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:38 pm

I think its highly doubtful Avril gets traded during the draft. He can't be dealt until he signs his franchise tender.

Return to Detroit Lions