GT: Minny at Bucky - 2:30 - ESPN

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Mtsportsfan
Rookie
And1: 371

Re: GT: Minny at Bucky - 2:30 - ESPN 

Post#101 » by Mtsportsfan » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:20 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
RubberSoul wrote:Not sure why the rush to give Leonhard the job immediately it’s more important to get it right than to rush to save a couple of recruits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say it's to keep the guys you have, but without a QB next season I don't think it matters whether Allen, Nelson, or Herbig stick around.

Offensive coordinator would be my first move after that Mertz or at the very least a QB coach
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,345

Post#102 » by Mags FTW » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:22 am

Bring in an assistant coach that can actually develop a QB please. None of the QBs that were here under Chryst showed substantial improvement from their 1st game to their last. And figure out the line.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,133

Post#103 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:35 am

The turnover, or lack of turnover, of the staff will be very interesting to watch, especially on the offensive side
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,440

Post#104 » by trwi7 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:43 am

Read on Twitter
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,902

Post#105 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:53 am

I didn't hate the defense today. There were several incredible catches by the Gophers, Herbig didn't play the first half, and there were way too many 3-and-out's by the offense. Typically with the balls he threw up for grabs, you get at least one pick, maybe two, and then everyone would be praising the defense.

The offense continues to be putrid. I don't think Leonhard can reasonably be evaluated on offense under the circumstances - it has much more to do with Engram and Chryst than it does with him IMO. And Mertz, of course. But Iowa and Minnesota do have pretty good defenses, and there's a ton of parity in the West this year.

My biggest concern is guys jumping ship.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,440

Post#106 » by trwi7 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:05 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:I didn't hate the defense today. There were several incredible catches by the Gophers, Herbig didn't play the first half, and there were way too many 3-and-out's by the offense. Typically with the balls he threw up for grabs, you get at least one pick, maybe two, and then everyone would be praising the defense.

The offense continues to be putrid. I don't think Leonhard can reasonably be evaluated on offense under the circumstances - it has much more to do with Engram and Chryst than it does with him IMO. And Mertz, of course. But Iowa and Minnesota do have pretty good defenses, and there's a ton of parity in the West this year.

Their QB threw for like half his yards today, 20% above his completion % coming in and over 10 yards per attempt. The defense was awful today.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#107 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:10 am

trwi7 wrote:
Their QB threw for like half his yards today, 20% above his completion % coming in and over 10 yards per attempt. The defense was awful today.

I watched the whole game, and he was also very lucky. Stats look dramatically different if his receivers aren't all wearing Krazy Glue on their gloves. The slants in the second half were infuriating, but the defense wasn't that bad.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,188
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#108 » by Kerb Hohl » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:02 am

trwi7 wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:I didn't hate the defense today. There were several incredible catches by the Gophers, Herbig didn't play the first half, and there were way too many 3-and-out's by the offense. Typically with the balls he threw up for grabs, you get at least one pick, maybe two, and then everyone would be praising the defense.

This take is driving me nuts. This QB isn’t some schlub. He was a 4-star guy they’ve been begging for for 2 years.

His first start was @PSU where of course he struggled a bit and they muzzled him for the other games because Fleck loves pounding the rock (he was OK against Nebraska).

He’s going to be a pretty good QB going forward.

Not to say the defense or scheme was good or bad. Most teams opted to let Ibrahim pound them to death. The Badgers sold out to stop the run and hoped they’d get some sacks (they did) and he wouldn’t hit too many big ones (unfortunately, he did).

Fleck was also itching to throw because the media and fans wanted to kill him for running nonstop and they passed away their chance to win the West.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#109 » by DrWood » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:38 am

That was a terrible loss. Built up our hope by getting to the MN 5-yard-line, then the OL kept giving away yards.
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#110 » by DrWood » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:45 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

This take is driving me nuts. This QB isn’t some schlub. He was a 4-star guy they’ve been begging for for 2 years.

His first start was @PSU where of course he struggled a bit and they muzzled him for the other games because Fleck loves pounding the rock (he was OK against Nebraska).

Not to say the defense or scheme was good or bad. Most teams opted to let Ibrahim pound them to death. The Badgers sold out to stop the run and hoped they’d get some sacks (they did) and he wouldn’t hit too many big ones (unfortunately, he did).

Fleck was also itching to throw because the media and fans wanted to kill him for running nonstop and they passed away their chance to win the West.

You have problems with people stating facts? He was much worse before this game. That's a fact. He was a 4-star recruit (81 score); Mertz was a 4-star recruit with an 86 score. Doesn't mean they're going to perform.
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#111 » by DrWood » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:47 am

BUCKnation wrote:This qb has been avg like 100 yds a game since taking over and leonhard cant figure out a scheme against him

Obviously they were scheming against Ibrahim.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#112 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:19 pm

DrWood wrote:You have problems with people stating facts? He was much worse before this game. That's a fact. He was a 4-star recruit (81 score); Mertz was a 4-star recruit with an 86 score. Doesn't mean they're going to perform.

And he was great yesterday, while his receivers were even better. They would have passed for a ton of yards against anyone except Georgia. They also ran for about 300 yards in their previous two games, so why would they throw the ball a lot? It's not like he played badly when they did either. And he only played a partial game against Nebraska, but did average over 11 yards per attempt. Kudos to UW for stopping a rushing attack that just put up 300+ yards against Iowa.

Nearly every single one of Wisconsin's Big Ten West titles, Rose Bowl berths, and/or other 2-3 loss seasons involved playing defense the way they did yesterday. Stop the run, play physical, make teams beat you through the air, get some sacks and hopefully an interception or two, and tip your cap to the opposing passing attack if they execute as well as they did yesterday. Defense was NOT the problem.

The defense did not play poorly; Minnesota's passing attack simply played great. Almost nobody would have stopped them yesterday. This is obvious to anybody who pays more attention to the game than the box score.

ETA: Not saying the defense played well either, but it was neutral at worst by UW standards. The offense is the problem, as it has been almost constantly for most of the last 3 trash seasons.
Mtsportsfan
Rookie
And1: 371

Post#113 » by Mtsportsfan » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:14 pm

Fickle in as head coach at UW , feel bad for JL , maybe JL will become Packers DC !
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,188
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#114 » by Kerb Hohl » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:27 pm

DrWood wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

You have problems with people stating facts? He was much worse before this game. That's a fact. He was a 4-star recruit (81 score); Mertz was a 4-star recruit with an 86 score. Doesn't mean they're going to perform.

All I was saying sometimes it takes guys some time and opportunity. You can use the “2nd string QB sucks and torched us” stuff when that guy is a walk-on or the top competition was Rutgers.

I’m assuming he’ll be pretty good next year.

Also, on the other side of it - it was Jim’s choice of how to do it, but yeah, he got a bunch of moon balls to hit.
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#115 » by DrWood » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:18 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
DrWood wrote:

The defense did not play poorly; Minnesota's passing attack simply played great. Almost nobody would have stopped them yesterday. This is obvious to anybody who pays more attention to the game than the box score.

That is unprovable, and certainly incorrect. If you think their success was somewhat due to fluky plays, ANY reasonable change in the defense would have avoided some of those fluky plays.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#116 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:59 pm

DrWood wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:
DrWood wrote:

That is unprovable, and certainly incorrect. If you think their success was somewhat due to fluky plays, ANY reasonable change in the defense would have avoided some of those fluky plays.

Why would change your defense to stop fluke plays? That would be reactionary. And if their QB really was so bad before yesterday, as many are arguing, then that just supports the decision to scheme against the run and make him beat you. And they still would have won if the offense wasn't an absolute dumpster fire yet again.

He played very well, as did their receivers, and deserves a lot more credit than people are implicitly giving him by laying so much blame at the feet of the defense.

Return to Green Bay Packers