ImageImage

Game 7: Vikings at Packers - 10/29 - Noon

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,761

Re: Game 7: Vikings at Packers - 10/29 - Noon 

Post#301 » by msiris » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:55 pm

Start the backup. I have had enough of Love. Season is over.
Ride the tank
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#302 » by skones » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:01 pm

MoMM wrote:
zmanishere11 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:What is going on here with the Love defenders? I was high as hell on him coming into the season but it's obvious that he's the single biggest reason this team sucks. Blame Gute for taking him, blame MLF for not coaching him well enough, but regardless, Love has been a bucket of ass. An average QB has the Packers in the North hunt. Thank god Love is much, much worse. The Packers can't **** around. This is a good draft to replace him.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="zxx" dir="ltr"><a href="https://t.co/hh2dZv91RV">pic.twitter.com/hh2dZv91RV</a></p>&mdash; CheeseheadTV (@cheeseheadtv) <a href="
Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 30, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

check out all these passes Jordan Love dropped yesterday.

The supporting cast is azz. I'm not here to blow Jordan Love - he has been anything but perfect, but at some point another player has to make a play, and it just ain't happening

Really bad, you can't have this amount of dropped balls.

Does anyone know how we rank in terms of dropped passes and % of drops?

There are three bad drops in this clip, Musgrave, Wicks, and then Reed. The rest are bad throws or bad decisions.

These balls sailing over the heads, behind, and guys put into jump ball situations where there are two legitimate defenders challenging the play? I don't know how anyone can sit there and say, wow, Love needs help on that. The "it's difficult to evaluate Love" crowd because of the lack of talent around him is turning a blind eye to Love not being able to throw guys open or hit wide open routine throws on the sideline. We're 7 games in after he sat for 3 seasons and we're seeing rookie thrown into the fire warts. That's inexcusable.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,349

Post#303 » by Mags FTW » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:13 pm

msiris wrote:Start the backup. I have had enough of Love. Season is over.

No way. We might actually look competent on offense and win games.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#304 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:17 pm

Feels like some of the Love blame game is kind of just determining is he could be OK vs terrible when it doesn't really matter unless he's actually good. And I don't know how anyone can watch his misses and think he'll be better than OK.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 246

Post#305 » by zmanishere11 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:27 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Well for one, that first pass to Musgrave was awful and clearly on Love lol. But yes, two things can be true here:

1) The deep-ball accuracy is uh.....yikes. Maybe fixable, maybe not.

2) This is probably the worst situation any 1st-year QB has been thrust into since 2021 Trevor Lawrence. Youngest and cheapest offense in the league by a landslide (drops, terrible route-running). And the only projected strengths of this unit (run-game, O-line) have cratered because of piss-poor execution (coaching AND personnel) as well as injuries.

All the predictions of us still being a middling, fringe playoff contender were hinging on the latter point being mitigated by creative play-calling and our historically reliable trench-game. Those simply haven't happened as Love has struggled.

All really great points.

I'm watching videos of random people break down film of the game today on Twitter. There's so much bad it's hard to believe. Maybe I'll try to re-post some of this stuff later. Just awful all the way around.

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,195

Post#306 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:35 pm

Yeah, Myers needs to get benched ASAP. Move Tom to Center and Nijman to Tackle. This has been the clear and obvious answer for weeks now.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,188
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#307 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:53 pm

rilamann wrote:Even if Love looks like 110% pure ass after a full season.

I am terrified that MLF doesn't get fired and we end up with a top #5 pick and then pass on drafting a franchise QB as MLF pounds the podium while proclaiming that Love is still his guy and anyone who thinks otherwise is a moron who doesn't know football.

Then in 2 years after back to back 3-14 seasons, MLF and Love are both out of the league and finally we clean house in 2026 when we should have done it in 2024.

I am going to be the strange cape for MLF. I have no actual connection to him and coaches are replaceable, so if they fire him tomorrow - I don't care. They can get the next guy out of the "offensive genius" tree.

I just don't want to be in this death spiral of football fandom. Sports fans love letting out frustration by firing a coach. Could he suck? I don't know. The performance isn't great, so I don't care.

However, if we fire him and draft a crappy QB or mess up building around Love, the same path will follow.
Year 1 of bad record, not much.
Year 2 of bad record: "Team unprepared. No team identity. <cliche> <cliche> <cliche>"
Year 3: "Worst coach ever"

Fire coach, build bad team, start over again in year 1. We've seen it with the Cards, Jets, Giants, Browns, Lions, etc.

The only reason I will keep kind of defending Lafleur is that while I understand HOF QBs can cover up a lot of deficiencies, a lot of this stuff was not happening for 4 years or whatever. Rodgers can cover stuff up but he's not literally coaching the scheme/line/etc.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#308 » by Mags FTW » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:20 pm

Good to see that the O-Line is in on the tank.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#309 » by Mags FTW » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:56 pm

Josiah is also on board.

Read on Twitter

No wait, he's always sucked.
Dennis Reynolds
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,134

Post#310 » by Dennis Reynolds » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:34 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Feels like some of the Love blame game is kind of just determining is he could be OK vs terrible when it doesn't really matter unless he's actually good. And I don't know how anyone can watch his misses and think he'll be better than OK.

Bingo, couldn't have said it any better. With the type of QB you need to win in this league, timing of the pick and the fact that Gute decided to trade up to get him, Love had/has to be at least a borderline MVP QB for about a decade assuming good health of course.

The only thing worse than the pick itself might have been Murphy's explanation..."The best time to take a QB is when you don't need a QB." I really wonder why the Chiefs didn't follow that logic this past draft cause nobody needed a QB less than them. It's almost like Gute could have done what we should be doing now, take the cap hit the season after Rodgers leaves and tank for the new franchise QB.

That said, it's not surprising that statement came from the same guy who said we're gonna see the real MLF's offense this season. I also gotta ask, how does a guy who looks like and apparently has a brain function of a poorly recovering alcoholic, become the CEO of the Packers? Was it considered a part of his charm or something cause I'm freaking speechless.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#311 » by skones » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:56 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
The only reason I will keep kind of defending Lafleur is that while I understand HOF QBs can cover up a lot of deficiencies, a lot of this stuff was not happening for 4 years or whatever. Rodgers can cover stuff up but he's not literally coaching the scheme/line/etc.

For what it's worth, I think Rodgers does have an ability to mitigate some of this stuff that Love isn't when it comes to communication at the line of scrimmage. When it comes to scheme, Rodgers had freedom to check out of called plays and he won two MVP's doing it. It's pretty clear Love doesn't have that authority, so we're left with MLFs ACTUAL playcalling instead of processed input and change from Rodgers.

We've seen instances of guys more or less running the wrong play with whatever's being called. You have to wonder if Love plays a part in that. With that being said, it's MLF's job to get everyone on the same page on both sides of the ball. All of these sloppy mistakes, running wrong routes, etc. show a fundamentally flawed staff that's showing a consistent inability to get these guys to do some very basic stuff. That doesn't exactly bode well for the short or long term.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#312 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:05 pm

Dennis Reynolds wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Feels like some of the Love blame game is kind of just determining is he could be OK vs terrible when it doesn't really matter unless he's actually good. And I don't know how anyone can watch his misses and think he'll be better than OK.

Bingo, couldn't have said it any better. With the type of QB you need to win in this league, timing of the pick and the fact that Gute decided to trade up to get him, Love had/has to be at least a borderline MVP QB for about a decade assuming good health of course.

The only thing worse than the pick itself might have been Murphy's explanation..."The best time to take a QB is when you don't need a QB." I really wonder why the Chiefs didn't follow that logic this past draft cause nobody needed a QB less than them. It's almost like Gute could have done what we should be doing now, take the cap hit the season after Rodgers leaves and tank for the new franchise QB.

That said, it's not surprising that statement came from the same guy who said we're gonna see the real MLF's offense this season. I also gotta ask, how does a guy who looks like and apparently has a brain function of a poorly recovering alcoholic, become the CEO of the Packers? Was it considered a part of his charm or something cause I'm freaking speechless.
Yeah I've heard that line a bunch too.

I think the truer statement is drafting QBs sucks and history says you're going to be wrong way more than right. Finding a franchise QB is hard and winning a SB is even harder. So when you have a franchise QB keep them until the wheels completely fall off and if you're in a spot to compete for SBs don't waste picks on bets with terrible odds of hitting.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,930

Post#313 » by ampd » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:41 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Dennis Reynolds wrote:

I think the truer statement is drafting QBs sucks and history says you're going to be wrong way more than right. Finding a franchise QB is hard and winning a SB is even harder. So when you have a franchise QB keep them until the wheels completely fall off and if you're in a spot to compete for SBs don't waste picks on bets with terrible odds of hitting.

The Love discussion kind of reminds me of the debates we used to have on the Bucks board back in the Kohl era about things like whether Nate Wolters had the potential to be a starter. The truth is things like that don't matter unless you have true impact players you can build a franchise around, and Love has shown nothing at any point to suggest he will be that.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,326

Post#314 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:03 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:So when you have a franchise QB keep them until the wheels completely fall off

That's what happened.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#315 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:47 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:So when you have a franchise QB keep them until the wheels completely fall off

That's what happened.
Yeah like I was saying the other day we're going to have to just agree to disagree on the strategy behind that pick.

It is good that you're sticking with your view even though it's not working out so far. If Love was good I still would never have agreed with the strategy of the selection.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,326

Post#316 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:48 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

That's what happened.
Yeah like I was saying the other day we're going to have to just agree to disagree on the strategy behind that pick.

It is good that you're sticking with your view even though it's not working out so far. If Love was good I still would never have agreed with the strategy of the selection.

I’m saying the wheels fell off last year and they moved on. Got some nice picks.
th87
RealGM
And1: 9,737

Post#317 » by th87 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:18 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Dennis Reynolds wrote:

Just as we feared for some time now, Gute may have hit one of the worst "own goals" of all time. The only way the Love pick was ever going to make sense was if he would help win multiple future Super Bowls, because they forewent doing everything possible to do so in 2020 by not picking an immediate contributor.

None of the purported benefits of that pick have yet come to fruition. In fact, the opposite is true.

- the Favre-Rodgers transition was not comparable to this situation
- Love did not become a good QB by sitting
- the Packers will not avoid a rebuild (which was purportedly because their QB would be good)

Too much faith was placed in the notion that because the Rodgers draft gamble worked out, so would this. But I think that was mostly luck, and thus not repeatable.
th87
RealGM
And1: 9,737

Post#318 » by th87 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:29 am

ReasonablySober wrote:

That's what happened.

Pretty sure he meant "don't worry about finding the next franchise QB while the current one is still around."

And that's not what happened. Had they drafted Higgins/Pittman/etc. instead of Love, you still get to trade Rodgers for picks last year. Or maybe you don't have to, because he's still happy here and playing at a high level.

Either way, we end up in the same position for 2023 - needing a QB, but in that parallel universe, perhaps we have a SB or two in 2020 and 2021 (maybe even 2022 since Adams might've stayed).
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,978

Post#319 » by stillgotgame » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:50 pm

Just got home, watched the game from the 12th row 40 yard line. Was a lot of fun despite our high school level offensive execution.

Jordan Love isn’t the problem. I think every receiver dropped a ball that hit both hands. Wicks was the most egregious, a gimme slant in the end zone. Reed had 2 hands on the ball that got taken away for a pick. I don’t know how Love could’ve made that throw any better. And of course Watson. He had a 40 yard throw hit him square in the hands again and he dropped it. He also got muscled on a fade in the end zone by a 5’11” 178 lb rookie CB. Watson’s effort was truly pathetic. He reminds me a lot of Robert Ferguson.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=5ZQYNcdVgqV23718MXgzIw

For all the Love talk saying he isn’t smart enough why does he absolutely shine when we go uptempo? He looked best then. And why isn’t he under center for play action instead of in shotgun? Shotgun from the 1 is a hilarious fail as is any other handoff to Dillon from shotgun.

Aaron Nagler from cheeseheadtv spells it out well.
This is a good listen if you have time between video games. Cliff notes - Jordan Love isn’t the problem.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=5ZQYNcdVgqV23718MXgzIw
Read on Twitter
?s=20
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,875

Post#320 » by VooDoo7 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:04 pm

stillgotgame wrote: Cliff notes - Jordan Love isn’t the problem.

He's not THE problem. But he's definitely A problem. And you can't have a QB who's a problem.

Return to Green Bay Packers