ImageImage

Game 12: Packers at Eagles - 7:20 PM - NBC

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Re: Game 12: Packers at Eagles - 7:20 PM - NBC 

Post#361 » by DrWood » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:48 am

Mags FTW wrote:Rodgers just said he is going to keep playing until they are mathematically eliminated.

assuming he was cleared medically.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,638

Post#362 » by LikeABosh » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:07 am

DrWood wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:
PintSizedBox10 wrote:
Fire the guy that put the defense together?

This is something that should be said before the season starts if you really believe it. I think we all agreed we had a lot of defensive talent going into the season. Barry was the only thing we were unsure of

Obviously we were wrong.

Wrong about 90% of our defense? Probably not. I still think we should be much better. It's alil suspicious everyone but Gary looked worse this year.
BradMKE
Senior
And1: 553

Post#363 » by BradMKE » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:28 am

Mags FTW wrote:Rodgers just said he is going to keep playing until they are mathematically eliminated.

I did my own research, Aaron. You're eliminated.
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#364 » by DrWood » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:15 am

LikeABosh wrote:
DrWood wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:
This is something that should be said before the season starts if you really believe it. I think we all agreed we had a lot of defensive talent going into the season. Barry was the only thing we were unsure of

Obviously we were wrong.

Wrong about 90% of our defense? Probably not. I still think we should be much better. It's alil suspicious everyone but Gary looked worse this year.

so. . . you think there's some conspiracy theory operating rather than the players not being as good as we thought?
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#365 » by MoMM » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:37 pm

Dennis Reynolds wrote:Kinda afraid we might fire Barry after this game just to string a few fluke defensive performances under the interim DC who then gets the job and gets exposed next season.

At this point it's better to keep Barry for this season, so we can make sure we won't win any more games and we get a better draft pick.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,407

Post#366 » by M-C-G » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:38 pm

DrWood wrote:Has anyone else noticed that the defense doesn't seem eager to actually tackle people? Is there reliable missed tackle stats? But it's not so much "missed tackle" as it is "not even trying to tackle."

I know exactly what you mean. The only thing equally frustrating is our O line standing around while guys like Dillon get in a pile and they don’t even step over to help. Watching the Titans those guys are excited about pushing piles while our OL seems charmin soft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#367 » by MoMM » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:40 pm

raysbookclub wrote:
PintSizedBox10 wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:

They weren't good last year and yet for some reason a lot of Packer nation was pushing the narrative they were going to be elite. I personally never bought into the hype. We've been here before with this team.

They were good at times last year—won the game vs Arizona and all those pick-6’s from Rasul—and they played very well against the Niners in the punt-block playoff game. You add a healthy all-pro CB who was injured last year, plus two 1st-round draft picks, and you expect to be a top defense. You only lost Z Smith, but I always felt like he was overrated; he was horrible against the run, always guessing and not able to just hold the edge. Anyway, I don’t think it was a weird expectation.

Z only had 1 tackle last season, he was injured, so pretty much irrelevant to say we lost him for this season.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,638

Post#368 » by LikeABosh » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:12 pm

DrWood wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:
DrWood wrote:Obviously we were wrong.

so. . . you think there's some conspiracy theory operating rather than the players not being as good as we thought?

Or it's Joe Barry and the scheme which is what we've been talking about? Try to follow along
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#369 » by leroyjw10 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:43 pm

I know it's Kenny Clark's job to "take up blockers," but dude played the entire game and only recorded one tackle ... which didn't come until the very last Eagles possession. Just another guy on defense who has underperformed this year.

Check out the cap hit column at the link below. Of the top 15 guys, I'd say only Jones and Lazard have actually lived up to their cap hit. And no one else is really even close.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,197

Post#370 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:47 pm

Obviously the injuries and subsequent lack of depth at certain positions (namely Safety and edge rusher) have been a factor, but giving up 300+ rushing yards is always a scheme issue. That's **** embarrassing and 100% on the coaching staff. Can't believe guys like Kenny and Jaire have gotten any flak this season. I don't know why it's so hard to find a competent DC that actually puts their best players in roles that maximizes their skill set and talent, but we routinely make it harder than it has to be.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#371 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:18 pm

leroyjw10 wrote:I know it's Kenny Clark's job to "take up blockers," but dude played the entire game and only recorded one tackle ... which didn't come until the very last Eagles possession. Just another guy on defense who has underperformed this year.

Check out the cap hit column at the link below. Of the top 15 guys, I'd say only Jones and Lazard have actually lived up to their cap hit. And no one else is really even close.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/
Kenny's a good player but to me unless an interior Dlineman is a game wrecker like Donald I would spend elsewhere. Fill that block eater spot with mid round picks like Slayton.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#372 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:31 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=1AQaAbzTVmIF2p6kx7J6ew&s=19

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,197

Post#373 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:45 pm

His speed for a guy that size is absolutely absurd. If he can put the hands and route-running together, we've got a special one.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,273

Post#374 » by LUKE23 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:40 pm

I mean in equal snaps he’s probably got Hill beat in that category.

His athleticism is absolutely absurd for his size. I think this is one that Gute got right.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,351

Post#375 » by Mags FTW » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:02 pm

If you extrapolate his numbers from the games he's played, it comes out to 700 yards and 11 TDs for the season. That's a success for a rookie 2nd round WR.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,163

Post#376 » by Matches Malone » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:47 pm

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,345

Post#377 » by crkone » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:01 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Obviously the injuries and subsequent lack of depth at certain positions (namely Safety and edge rusher) have been a factor, but giving up 300+ rushing yards is always a scheme issue. That's **** embarrassing and 100% on the coaching staff. Can't believe guys like Kenny and Jaire have gotten any flak this season. I don't know why it's so hard to find a competent DC that actually puts their best players in roles that maximizes their skill set and talent, but we routinely make it harder than it has to be.

Yep and a major part of coaching is making sure the players 100% understand the scheme. There are constant mental mistakes on defense each game. I remember Ben McAdoo setting up life size gridiron pieces out of yellow barrels and red circles so Jermichael Finley could understand each play before games.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#378 » by DrWood » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:35 pm

LikeABosh wrote:
DrWood wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:

Or it's Joe Barry and the scheme which is what we've been talking about? Try to follow along

Son, turn around, you're looking in the wrong direction. I'm that dot on the horizon, way ahead of you. :-)
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,186

Post#379 » by raysbookclub » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:14 pm

Dennis Reynolds wrote:
raysbookclub wrote:
PintSizedBox10 wrote:
They weren't good last year and yet for some reason a lot of Packer nation was pushing the narrative they were going to be elite. I personally never bought into the hype. We've been here before with this team.

They were good at times last year—won the game vs Arizona and all those pick-6’s from Rasul—and they played very well against the Niners in the punt-block playoff game. You add a healthy all-pro CB who was injured last year, plus two 1st-round draft picks, and you expect to be a top defense. You only lost Z Smith, but I always felt like he was overrated; he was horrible against the run, always guessing and not able to just hold the edge. Anyway, I don’t think it was a weird expectation.

Nah, it was a massive overreaction to 1 great game vs the 49ers in terrible weather conditions with all our guys fully healthy and rested playing against an injured, mediocre QB having an awful game. Even then they choked on the last drive allowing the Niners to convert on a game ending 3rd and 7 run.

During the regular season they sucked against a backup QB vs the Ravens, sucked against the Browns despite having 4 picks, had awful games against the Saints, 49ers and Vikings and I could go on and on listing below average performances. Even that Cardinals game you mentioned I think that pick by Rasul was the only stop we got in the 2nd half and it was because AJ Green forgot the play.

Pretty sure they were 22nd in DVOA last season and it was for a good reason

I can see your point. Maybe it was too colored by that playoff game.

But I'd add that another part of the high expectations is that Gute/MLF/AR were definitely banking on the D being very good and carrying the team while the passing offense gradually would get things together (Jenkins and Bakh and Tonyan returning from knees, rookie WRs, AR skipping the early offseason). They went all-in on the D in the offseason, with new contracts for Campbell, Rasul, Jaire, plus the first-round picks.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,061

Post#380 » by BUCKnation » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:48 pm

The defense is clearly scheme. I've seen too many nfl defenses out there that run out some absolute nobodies and end up doing very well. Like the Titans had half their defense out last week on a short week and held us to 17.

Return to Green Bay Packers