Offical Pre-Season News Thread

GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,051

Offical Pre-Season News Thread 

Post#1 » by GameTime_3 » Mon Aug 3, 2009 1:16 am

Post all articles and quotes here.

Rookie receiver Patrick Turner, built like a muscle-bound shooting guard at 6-5 and 220 pounds, is coming off the field after having arguably the best practice any rookie receiver has had in these parts in years.

Nat Moore, among the greatest receivers ever to play for the Dolphins, is watching practice. He focuses on Ted Ginn Jr -- and likes what he sees.

Ginn didn't make any crowd-pleasing catches this day and afterward talks about how he still ``has to earn'' being thought of as Miami's No. 1 receiver. But Moore sees signs that will happen.

``He's taking ownership out there,'' Moore says. ``You see he's the first guy in line during drills. He looks like he's ready to lead.''

Second-year player Shawn Murphy worked with the first-team offensive line at RG. "It's his job to lose," Sparano said of Murphy. The coach also said Murphy was among the two or three most improved players on the team in the offseason workouts and camps.
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Offical Pre-Season News Thread 

Post#2 » by GameTime_3 » Mon Aug 3, 2009 1:25 am

As for the opening afternoon, some things that jumped out at me:

() Tremendous crowd. Officially listed at 3,152, which is something for a practice facility with an official seating capacity of 2,000. Fans were standing on top of the parking garage to watch. That's how far the expectation level has risen for this team. Rookie CB Vontae Davis said it felt like the spring game at Illinois.

() Dan Carpenter might not miss all year. The second-year kicker nailed at least seven straight during one drill against an onrushing line. He was good from 27, 29, 32, 32, 34, 36, 37 and 39 yards.

() Sparano said he's looking forward to seeing Chad Henne in different situations this preseason, such as being in the game at the end of the first half, taking the eight minutes' worth of halftime adjustments, then going back out and starting the second half. Said Sparano: "That doesn't sound like much, but there's a lot of things that go on in that eight minutes when we are in the locker room that a quarterback has to handle."

Enjoy!
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by GameTime_3 » Tue Aug 4, 2009 8:56 pm

Ernest Wilford is at 232 pounds according to Sparano and he is working at both wide receiver and tight end, but as the team has been working mostly in the base offense the first couple of days of practice, he hasn't gotten a lot of action from that H-back role.

The back end of the nickel and dime packages consist of Will Allen, Yeremiah Bell, Gibril Wilson, Tryone Culver, Eric Green and Nathan Jones (dime only) on first team. The back end on second team consists of Rookies Vontae Davis and Sean Smith, Jason Allen, Chris Clemons, Courtney Bryan and Ethan Kilmer (dime only).

Ginn did have a productive practice today. He beat Culver on a post pattern for a 30-yard TD in the back of the end zone. He also was open deep along the sideline once but a Pennington pass got held up in the air, allowing the defender to recover and knock it away.

Pat White continues to be up and down. I will say this: Having played in the spread formation in college, he is clearly much more comfortable when he's not under center. On a couple of shotgun snaps this morning, White seemed to show more zip on his passes and seemed more decisive with his decisions. It didn't always result in a completion, but he was clearly better when not under center.

Day 3
FlashTheKilla
Lead Assistant
And1: 64

Post#4 » by FlashTheKilla » Wed Aug 5, 2009 9:22 pm

Went to to training camp today. Henne looked gooooood. I'm excited for what he can become.
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by GameTime_3 » Thu Aug 6, 2009 2:22 am

How did Turner look? Anything about Ginn? Which CB stood out to you? If any?

Thanks..
Scum Freezebag
Sixth Man
And1: 22

Post#6 » by Scum Freezebag » Fri Aug 7, 2009 6:17 pm

Terry Glenn has joined the coaching staff, and I'm all for it. I'm sure Ginn could learn a lot from him: how to use his speed; how to best utilize a smaller, more agile body; when to take a hit and when not take a hit, etc.
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by GameTime_3 » Sun Aug 9, 2009 5:52 am

Anyone go to the scrimmage? If so what did you think?
salqaddoumi
Lead Assistant
And1: 7

Post#8 » by salqaddoumi » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:41 pm

Where will our first preseason game against the Jags be televised?
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25

Post#9 » by Lane1974 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:12 pm

salqaddoumi wrote:Where will our first preseason game against the Jags be televised?

CBS, tomorrow night (Monday)

will there be anyone interested in a live game thread, or too soon?
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by GameTime_3 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:52 am

Week 2 Pre-Season Practice notes
Rookie CB Sean Smith, who looks like he'll definitely be the starting corner in Week 1, got burned a couple times by Ted Ginn.

Ricky Williams and Joey Porter both sat out portions of the session. Jason Taylor, moved to the right side, bull rushed Ronnie Brown back into Chad Pennington for a sack. Brown then took a playful swipe at JT.

Cameron Wake abused Ike Ndukwe, playing RT, a few times. Really like what I'm seeing from Wake lately.

() Several nice throws from Pat White, who seems to be getting his legs under him. White hit Ted Ginn Jr. on a deep square in and came back with a nice out to speedy Chris Williams.
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by GameTime_3 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:20 pm

The Miami Dolphins Monday traded offensive linemen Andy Alleman and Ikechuku Ndukwe to the Kansas City Chiefs in exchange for an undisclosed 2010 draft choice.

Alleman, a backup interior lineman, played in 16 games last season for the Dolphins. He started five games, including the playoff loss to Baltimore, as Justin Smiley's replacement at left guard.

The former Akron standout, who was drafted in the third-round by the Saints in 2007, had been working as the backup left guard and third-team center during training camp.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 9212.story
CrookedJ
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,764

4 more cut 

Post#12 » by CrookedJ » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:11 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/f ... index.html

WR Anthony Armstrong
K Connor Barth
DT Louis Ellis
FB Joe Kowalewski

were all cut today
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by GameTime_3 » Wed Sep 2, 2009 3:32 am

Ricky Williams Signs Extension

Ricky Williams has said for some time that he intends to play through 2010 and then move on with his post-football life.

Now, if he holds to that plan, Williams' final lap around the NFL will most likely be taken as a Miami Dolphin.

According to salary information filed online at the NFL Players Association Web site, Williams has signed a contract extension that will pay him $4.35 million in 2010. That's a hefty raise over the $3.4 million the 32-year-old running back is due to earn this season as Ronnie Brown's backup.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl- ... 4010.story
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by GameTime_3 » Sun Sep 6, 2009 9:02 am

Earlier in the day the Dolphins waived receiver Brandon London, linebacker William Kershaw, offensive lineman Brandon Frye, defensive end Rodrique Wright, cornerback Joey Thomas, and safety Courtney Bryan before the morning's practice session.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl- ... 8177.story
unowen85
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,885

Post#15 » by unowen85 » Mon Sep 7, 2009 3:25 pm

Anybody catch what Rosenhaus said last night when talking about Roth? He was talking about Matt being place on the PUP list and Shapiro said something about why the Dolphins hadn't just cut him. I wasn't really listening, but one line did catch my attention, when Rosenhaus mentioned that Matt could be making a lot more money with another team if he was cut.
For a long time it gave me nightmares,witnessing an injustice like that.It’s a constant reminder of just how unfair this world can be.I can still hear them taunting him, Silly Rabbit tricks are for kids.I mean why couldn’t they just give him some cereal?
unowen85
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,885

Post#16 » by unowen85 » Mon Sep 7, 2009 11:35 pm

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2009/09/could-matt-roth-be-holding-a-super-secret-holdout.html

And it certainly didn't pass the whiff test when Roth's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, openly admitted during his WSVN Sports Extra segment Sunday night that Roth would indeed make more money IF the Dolphins eventually waived him.

Omar Kelly heard it too.
For a long time it gave me nightmares,witnessing an injustice like that.It’s a constant reminder of just how unfair this world can be.I can still hear them taunting him, Silly Rabbit tricks are for kids.I mean why couldn’t they just give him some cereal?

Return to Miami Dolphins