Fins back to QAM?

G.cracker
Head Coach
And1: 958

Fins back to QAM? 

Post#1 » by G.cracker » Sat Apr 7, 2007 1:10 pm

This was in the news yesterday...

http://www.miamiherald.com/588/story/64965.html

The Dolphins remain in serious, advanced negotiations about moving their games back to WQAM (560) -- a move that would surprise nobody at this point. Incumbent 790 The Ticket was told by the team that there's no decision yet.

If it does move back, Mandich is a lock. Who would do play by play? Cefalo is horrid, so I hope they don't consider him. You cannot have Rose and Mandich, and I doubt Rose goes back. I hope they do not consider Zagaki. He makes Sonny Hirsh sound young.
I'm like Global Warming, you can't ignore me.
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25

Post#2 » by Lane1974 » Sat Apr 7, 2007 9:20 pm

I am afraid the Fins would insist they keep Rose, Cefalo & Mad Dog in a 3 man booth... Cefalo is Dan The Man Levitan.

The Ticket should have had Boog and Rose in the booth

it'd be great to have Mad Dog back where he belongs
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Post#3 » by heat4life » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:51 pm

Dolphins games without Mad Dog were not the same although I do like Joe Rose also. As for Cefalo...he sounds better fit for a political debate IMO.
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Lane1974 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:15 pm

Digg it del.icio.us Dolphins games to be broadcast on WQAM
BY BARRY JACKSON
bjackson@MiamiHerald.com
The Dolphins are moving their games back to WQAM (560) and informed incumbent rights-holder 790 The Ticket of the decision Friday, according to Joel Feinberg, president of The Ticket. The move could signal the return of analyst Jim Mandich to the broadcast booth.

Feinberg said he offered $2.2 million per year, well below the $3.5 million he paid last season. Feinberg said he believes WQAM outbid him, but WQAM -- which agreed to a multiyear deal -- declined to comment.

The Dolphins declined comment, but an announcement is expected by Monday.

Feinberg, whose station had Dolphins games the past two seasons, said he told the team that if he wasn't given a decision by 5 p.m. Friday, he would ''pull the plug'' on Dolphins programming. Dolphins president Bryan Weidmeier informed him of the decision at 4:55 p.m.

The Dolphins, who control the announcer hires, would like to retain play-by-play voice Jimmy Cefalo, and WQAM is believed to be receptive. The team and station also are expected to approach Mandich about returning to the broadcasts.

Mandich, who hosts an afternoon talk show on WQAM, said Friday he would be interested in returning to the color analyst role that he held for 13 years before the team moved to The Ticket in 2005 and gave the job to its morning host, Joe Rose.

''Not one person has talked to me about anything,'' Mandich said. ``I would need to know some of the facts.''

According to an industry official, WQAM also is expected to explore the possibility of hiring Rose and creating a three-man booth of Cefalo, Mandich and Rose.

Rose's 790 contract runs through early September. Feinberg said keeping Rose is a priority. ''I love Joe,'' he said. ``I don't see him even entertaining an offer unless it's twice what I'm paying him.''

Feinberg said he lost money on the Dolphins and wasn't comfortable offering anything close to last season's rights fee. Feinberg had re-negotiated the contract last off-season, and in exchange for financial concessions, allowed the games to be simulcast on Big 106-FM.

''It was in the best interest of the station to not enter a deal with the Dolphins that would be a loss as soon as the pen hit the paper,'' Feinberg said.

Still, Feinberg said he felt ''strung along'' during negotiations. ''I'm very upset,'' he said. ``I gave them blood, sweat and tears for two years - hiring Jimmy Cefalo, who belongs in a funeral home he's so dead. I gave them the world.

``All they care about is money. They think they're so high and mighty, that they can flex their muscles and get whatever they want from whomever they want. They don't care about anybody else's business or situations or needs.''

The Ticket's Dolphins show from 7 to 9 p.m. weeknights - which was part of the rights deal - will go off the air immediately, Feinberg said. WQAM is expected to carry regular Dolphins programming, but details haven't been disclosed.

Feinberg said in addition to his offer of a $2.25 million annual rights fee, he also offered $360,000 in hospitality and signage costs and to cover the salaries of the announcers.

Feinberg said the Dolphins ''opened some new doors to some national business'' but said, ``I'll be a better station without all the [financial losses]. WQAM thinks if I don't have the Dolphins, I'll go out of business. I'll survive and prevail.''

The Ticket's deal with the Dolphins precluded the station from pursuing rights to other teams. Without that restriction, The Ticket might pursue rights to the Marlins, who are in the final year of their deal with WQAM.

http://www.miamiherald.com/416/story/81239.html

the guy's not bitter or anything lol
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#5 » by Flash3 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:43 pm

Off base, but how much do radio personalities such as The Big O, Joe Rose, Jim Mandich, etc pull in?
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Lane1974 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:51 pm

I'd bet it's good for 100k-200k for 16 weeks
G.cracker
Head Coach

Post#7 » by G.cracker » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:20 pm

That Cefalo funeral home remark is rough, but right on.
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Lane1974 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:11 pm

it is right on, but uncalled for

unprofessional by the station manager
I hope to god the Fins don't make QAM hire Cefalo
let him be a pregame host, but get a legit broadcaster to do play by play
G.cracker
Head Coach

Post#9 » by G.cracker » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:34 am

I would doubt the Dolphins are requiring QAM to drop other teams, so why the double standard?

That said, I'd prefer 790 pick up Marlins games to get Boog back and lose Dave Van Boring and Roxy Roker. Sampson like them.

I'd also like them to get Heat games so I don't have conservatove radio on in my car the day after games, but not sure how long the IOD contract lasts. The Jason Jackson connection is strong. Then again, conflicts of Heat and MArlins are what led the Heat off of QAM to begin with.
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Lane1974 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:46 pm

Boog chose to leave the Marlins, they wanted him to be the TV analyst before they hired Dick Waltz, but he chose to leave them - now he does ESPN Games and Braves games for FSN Atlanta

Return to Miami Dolphins