ImageImageImage

The 2010 NFL Draft Thread

Scum Freezebag
Sixth Man
And1: 22

The 2010 NFL Draft Thread 

Post#1 » by Scum Freezebag » Sat Jan 9, 2010 2:47 pm

As with the rest of America that lives vicariously through its professional athletes, I will be spending April 22-24 in front of the TV. And since football's over for Dolphin fans, I figured a draft thread might help pass the time. Some important questions for us moving forward include, but are not limited to:

Are Dez Bryant or Golden Tate the answer to our woes at WR?

Do we treat ourselves to the human highlight reel C.J. Spiller?

Should we plug up the middle of our D-Line with the biggest guy we can find, like Terrence Cody or Dan Williams?

I like our philosophy of doubling-up in the draft. It makes a lot of sense -- you can only hope to hit on about half of your draft picks anyway, so taking two of something enhances your odds.

We have no aerial attack and can't stretch the field vertically, but I would not object to spending the majority of our draft on defense. We can't stop anybody. I'd be happy with two linebackers in the first three rounds, one ILB (Rolando McClain? Brandon Spikes?) and one OLB (Jerry Hughes? Sergio Kindle?). Our current LB corps is a disappointing hodge podge of old, slow, unathletic, and invisible. We need some playmakers back there.

As desperately as we need a star WR, I'm hesitant to take one. I feel we have enough players that are young and developing; I'd like to see someone step in and immediately take charge. Hopefully free agency can help with that.

It's nice knowing that for once, mercifully, we will not be spending a 2nd rounder on a QB.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,628

Re: The 2010 NFL Draft Thread 

Post#2 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Jan 9, 2010 6:14 pm

MCclain is the best LB in this draft class. He will be a great one in the NFL and a guy that you can build a defense around. I like him if he's there for our pick.

Dez Bryant is a stud WR who wont last that long. I would love him as well though if he falls to 12.

Spiller is my coveted offensive player. I'll take him over any offensive player in this draft.

Those are the three I have my hopes set on anyway.

Our receivers are going to be good. I think Ginn deserves another year, Bess is as good as they get possession wise, Hartline looks like a solid pick, and Camarillo is roster worthy. We lack a big play guy but Hartline and Ginn can be those guys if they improve, and we never did get to see what Patrick Turner had to offer.
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Post#3 » by heat4life » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:40 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the Trifecta go for 3 defensive players with our first three picks. Our defense was bad, especially up the middle. I could see a NT, ILB, OLB for our first three picks in any order. I think WR will be addressed via Free Agency along with TE. We need some depth at CB and Safety as well via draft or Free Agency.

I DO NOT want Gibril Wilson back, I don't care for Akin Ayodele and/or Joey Porter. Ted Ginn should be traded (Josua Cribbs?) if possible, if not, I am ok with having him back for another year.

Patrick Turner needs to have a complete turn around if not he would go down along with Pat White as the two biggest draft mistakes in the Trifecta tenure.

Can we get us Antrel Rolle? Break the bank for Vince WIlfork? Any good up and coming WR's?
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#4 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:16 pm

Domenik Hixon has shown potential and he is only 25.
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#5 » by TheOGJabroni » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:15 pm

If Dez Bryant is at 12, I would love to see him on the Phins. If not, sure up the defense. BPA in the front 7.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#6 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:17 am

I agree with that. I'll cry if we pass Bryant..... literally..... The same way I cried when we passed on Brady Quinn.
LEIF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 921
Location: Charleston, SC. Born and raised in The City of North Miami.

Post#7 » by LEIF » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:14 am

I am leaning toward CJ Spiller right now because of his big play ability and if Ricky really is going to retire after next season I think we need to always have 2 stud RBs. Spiller is going to be a big time player PERIOD.
2nd option would be Mcclain.

Follow me on Twitter @Lefty_Leif
travis minor
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#8 » by travis minor » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:29 am

1. mcclain
2. bryant
3. spiller

my wishlist
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#9 » by Flash3 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:38 pm

Isn't Spiller just another Reggie Bush?

And, with such glaring needs on both sides of the ball, why would you go with RB so high in the draft, when it's proven you can get a solid one later in the draft?
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#10 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:43 pm

I can agree with Flash3 on that. Spiller is a nice prospect but there are some possible gems in the later rounds that could help like Noel Devine, Evan Royster, Joe Mcknight, Toby Gerhart, etc
CaneFlash
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#11 » by CaneFlash » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:21 am

McClain is the top guy on the Trifecta's draft board for sure. A dynamic LB with playmaking abilities. The exact opposite of Channing Crowder, that is what we need.

I don't see Parcells drafting a WR in the 1st round. More than likely, WR will be addressed in free agency or trade (Boldin for a 3rd rounder, anyone?).

Spiller is bigger and better than Reggie Bush. Spiller can run between the tackles and run with power if needed. He would be more a luxury pick, but with Brown and Ricky ready to go for 2010 there will no RB drafted by Miami in the early rounds.

One guy to look out for is Earl Thomas. The Phins need a free safety to replace the black hole named Gibril Wilson. Thomas has playmaking abilities and is a ballhawk. His small frame, however, could be seen negatively by the organization.
Welcome to Wade County
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#12 » by TheOGJabroni » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:17 pm

CaneFlash wrote:I don't see Parcells drafting a WR in the 1st round. More than likely, WR will be addressed in free agency or trade (Boldin for a 3rd rounder, anyone?).

If we can get Boldin for a 3rd rounder, I'd be ecstatic. Weren't teams trying to offer the Cardinals 2nd rounders and Arizona was turning them down, though?
Teddy Bruckshut
Banned User

Post#13 » by Teddy Bruckshut » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:27 pm

If Rolando McClain and Dez Bryant are both off the board by #12, first I cry, then I get right on the phones and trade down 7-10 spots while picking up an additional second rounder and whatever else I can grab. If nothing comes to surface, then I'd be content with C.J. Spiller or Brandon Graham. Graham, I'm a bit weary of. Spiller on the other hand, well, Ronnie Brown will be a 29-year old injury prone free agent in 2011, and Ricky Williams is supposedly retiring. We need a future back, and fast. Not as much as we need an ILB and WR right now, though. DT, too. Hoping that we can fill one or two of those holes via free agency... come on home, Vince Wilfork!
Teddy Bruckshut
Banned User

Post#14 » by Teddy Bruckshut » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:30 pm

CELTICSinME wrote:
CaneFlash wrote:I don't see Parcells drafting a WR in the 1st round. More than likely, WR will be addressed in free agency or trade (Boldin for a 3rd rounder, anyone?).

If we can get Boldin for a 3rd rounder, I'd be ecstatic. Weren't teams trying to offer the Cardinals 2nd rounders and Arizona was turning them down, though?

Same here. More injuries and his stalk has fallen some more. I'd start off by offering a fourth or fifth rounder, while more than willing to move up to a third, but nothing more. He'll be 30 later on in the year, and is a huge question mark to ever complete a 16 game season. Nonetheless, when Boldin is healthy, he's one of the best receivers in football.

Antonio Bryant is a nice option as well, and we can have him for the simple cost of contract. I know he's had issues with Parcells in the past, but they've already kissed and made up. Word struck at some point last season that they were keeping communication via text, and Parcells told Bryant to "just make it through the season" - now it's being reported that Tampa Bay has little to no interest in re-signing him. Hmmmm. If Dez isn't an option and we can't land Boldin on the discount, then I'd be all for picking up Antonio Bryant and drafting a receiver in the second, third or fourth round. Just no Patrick Turner's please... I like BeBe (Demaryius) Thomas a lot in the second-third, and Dezmon Briscoe would make for a solid prospect in the fourth.
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,051

Post#15 » by GameTime_3 » Fri Mar 5, 2010 5:39 am

1.McClain
2.Dez Bryant
3.Derrick Morgan
4.Dan Williams(Gets moved down if we sign Jamal Williams)
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#16 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Mar 7, 2010 6:08 am

Should McClain get moved down now that we have gotten Dansby?
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by GameTime_3 » Sun Mar 7, 2010 6:04 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Should McClain get moved down now that we have gotten Dansby?

I would say no. McClain would add size and talent to our LB Core. you can never have to many playmakers @ LB. I have Dez Bryant and Dan Williams in my top 3(Derrick Morgan also but he'll be gone by 12).
rgw
Junior

Post#18 » by rgw » Mon Mar 8, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi, I'm a Bama fan. I don't think that Dansby's acquisition should preclude Miami from drafting McClain. Miami plays a hybrid 3-4/multiple defense and they need a lot of help defending the middle of the field. So that means Will LB, Mike LB, and nose tackle have to be priorities in the off-season. In my wannabe scouting estimation, Dansby would probably be a better fit at Will LB while McClain is a pure 3-4 Mike LB. I'm really hoping that McClain is selected by a base 3-4 team next month and not the Giants or any other 4-3 team because I fear that his vertical mobility would be a poor fit a 4-3 defense. He moves well side-to-side, handles crossers well, and will stop the run...this guy ain't made for tampa-2.

Also, just being around the SEC...I'm not so sure how Dan Williams has shot up the board. I know big guys on the DL tend to get ignored on gameday but their influence usually shows up statistically in the macro-view: tackles by the linebackers, rushing yards allowed per game, etc. Truly, Dan Williams has been a starter since the turn of the century it seems and Tennessee has never possessed an elite defense. Yeah sure, it could be the guys around him...but this is the University of Tennessee not Vanderbilt. Big time "caveat emptor" to me. This is what I don't understand about the NFL draft...you might as well get beat bloggers who show up for the first fall practice and declare the guy who steps off the bus looking the fittest the next star of the team...and make them the scouts. A guy like Dan Williams is going to go in the high first round while accomplishing nothing but going on the Jenny Craig plan in his college career while a guy like Terrance Cody - who I would say was singlehandedly responsible for Alabama's rush defense improving 50.1 ypg (124.2 - 74.1) from 2007 to his first year in 2008 - gets "questioned down" to a low first/high second pick.

Do yourself a favor, draft either Dez Bryant or McClain (whoever is available).
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by GameTime_3 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:57 am

I agree with rgw. Dan Williams is the sexy pick right now but thats all he is. To me it comes down to 4 options in this order now.

1. Derrick Morgan
2. Dez Bryant
3. Rolando McClain
4. Trade Down(If you can't and none are available, Dan Willaims)

I was into the whole Dan Williams pick untill I read more about him. He seems to be a very risky pick. Someone who can be Vince Wilfork or can be out of the league in 2 years, to me with this team, I'm not taking the risk.
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Post#20 » by heat4life » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:08 pm

At this point, we could get better value from the 12th pick by trading back IMO unless one of the top 5 players "miraculously" drops to us. At the end of the day, that player might be Dez Bryant or Berry or Thomas and I doubt the Trifecta passes on such a talent. Other than that, I would trade back to the early 20's and get another 2nd rounder in the process.
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP

Return to Miami Dolphins