Offseason thread

Moderator: Worm Guts

hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,585

Re: Offseason thread 

Post#41 » by hermes » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:31 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
hermes wrote:people seem to think that his contract is going to be restructured (otherwise why would we have traded for him) but i haven't seen anything saying so

and yeah, wr is probably off the table - but maybe we don't keep jennings which i don't know why we wouldn't

Jennings wasn't in the top 30 of WRs last year, but he's making 9 mil. That cut should be automatic with or without Wallace.

really? just flat out cut him?

i know he's making a lot but i think there is still some value if he wants to restructure, and i wonder what this does for patterson's situation
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#42 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:33 am

Twolf16 wrote: Now hopefully we can draft Collins, Scherf, or Thompson.

I think my guy would be Flowers. I think he's got franchise LT talent and the team can't go another year with a bottom 5 pass protection and Bridgewater unable to learn the position properly. Take Flowers and trade Kalil for an 8th round pick.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#43 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:44 am

hermes wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:
hermes wrote:people seem to think that his contract is going to be restructured (otherwise why would we have traded for him) but i haven't seen anything saying so

and yeah, wr is probably off the table - but maybe we don't keep jennings which i don't know why we wouldn't

Jennings wasn't in the top 30 of WRs last year, but he's making 9 mil. That cut should be automatic with or without Wallace.

really? just flat out cut him?

i know he's making a lot but i think there is still some value if he wants to restructure, and i wonder what this does for patterson's situation

I think Stevie Johnson is a superior player and would come much cheaper.
Twolf16
Rookie
And1: 89

Offseason thread 

Post#44 » by Twolf16 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:45 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:

I think my guy would be Flowers. I think he's got franchise LT talent and the team can't go another year with a bottom 5 pass protection and Bridgewater unable to learn the position properly. Take Flowers and trade Kalil for an 8th round pick.

I'm sure Kalil can slide in an be an effective guard.

As far as I know, cutting Jennings isn't the best option. Doesn't save us much money, and I just read Wallace wasn't to happy about going to MN. We will see. Still wouldn't mind drafting a top tier WR, but we really need a LT or Guard.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
hermes
RealGM

Post#45 » by hermes » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:55 pm

wallace doesn't have any guaranteed money on his deal after this season so if things don't work out its not a big deal, and if things do work out it will likely be restructured

we have just over $8 mill in cap room with him and adrian, and that's before any other restructuring anywhere else - i think we'll be fine
hermes
RealGM

Post#46 » by hermes » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:56 pm

michael johnson is meeting with cincinnati now - decision by monday probably, i guess the vikings offered him a "lucrative deal"
Twolf16
Rookie

Offseason thread 

Post#47 » by Twolf16 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:18 pm

Don't know to much about Michael Johnson. Just that he was one of Zimmer's guys and had a really good season two years ago but a subpar season last year. He'd probably be a great addition.

Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#48 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:03 pm

if johnson leaves town without signing to go visit another team, doesn't that mean they couldn't agree on a deal? I thought guys usually come into town to try and hammer out a deal
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#49 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:39 pm

Twolf16 wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:

As far as I know, cutting Jennings isn't the best option. Doesn't save us much money, and I just read Wallace wasn't to happy about going to MN. We will see. Still wouldn't mind drafting a top tier WR, but we really need a LT or Guard.

9 mil cap savings post june 1st. Lets add Robison, Greenway, and Josh Robinson to that while we're at it.
Twolf16
Rookie

Offseason thread 

Post#50 » by Twolf16 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:19 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
Twolf16 wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:

9 mil cap savings post june 1st. Lets add Robison, Greenway, and Josh Robinson to that while we're at it.

Vikings just cut Jennings. Two sided could not reach an agreement on restructure. Not sure if I like that, but he was getting paid to much. I know his productivity was low, but a lot of other factors come into play. Quarterbacks etc. Sounds like AP will restructure if traded and interested teams are Bucs, Chargers, and Cardinals. I'd rather send him to chargers or cardinals and attempt to grab one of their firsts.

Edit: ya the savings from cutting Jennings seems worth it. I wonder what they'll do with those savings.

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,610

Post#51 » by Worm Guts » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:36 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
Twolf16 wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:

I'm not sure clearing a bunch of cap space after all the impact free agents are gone is all that beneficial.
Twolf16
Rookie

Offseason thread 

Post#52 » by Twolf16 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:21 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:
Twolf16 wrote:

I'm not sure clearing a bunch of cap space after all the impact free agents are gone is all that beneficial.

That's what I was thinking. Michael Johnson is the only reason that comes to mind. Maybe Wright is ready to start anyway.

hermes
RealGM

Post#53 » by hermes » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:25 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:if johnson leaves town without signing to go visit another team, doesn't that mean they couldn't agree on a deal? I thought guys usually come into town to try and hammer out a deal

might not be a great sign, but he did say before all this started that he was going to have a visit in cincinnati no matter what and he says he's a loyal guy so even if the vikings blew him away with a deal he was probably going to hear the bengals out anyway
hermes
RealGM

Post#54 » by hermes » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:30 am

interesting, little surprised but i suppose with wallace this was likely to happen if there was no restructure

michael johnson is probably the only big fish we are in play for, otherwise we can fill some gaps/get depth with the space
Twolf16
Rookie

Offseason thread 

Post#55 » by Twolf16 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:41 am

I'm going to call it now: we trade AP to the chargers for a 1st this year and a 4th next year.

hermes
RealGM

Post#56 » by hermes » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:05 am

Twolf16 wrote:I'm going to call it now: we trade AP to the chargers for a 1st this year and a 4th next year.

apparently the cardinals are up to making an offer

i think the vikings just sit on the hands on this one and adrian will suit up with us on week 1
hermes
RealGM

Post#57 » by hermes » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:05 am

also i guess wr at #11 is back on the table with the jennings cut
hermes
RealGM

Post#58 » by hermes » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:08 am

i'm kind of surprised at some of the reaction i'm seeing on the jennings cut, people are up in arms about him going but greenway still being on the team. are people really that down on greenway? am i too high on him? - i'm sure i have some serious homer goggles since i watched him in college too
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#59 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:37 am

hermes wrote:i'm kind of surprised at some of the reaction i'm seeing on the jennings cut, people are up in arms about him going but greenway still being on the team. are people really that down on greenway? am i too high on him? - i'm sure i have some serious homer goggles since i watched him in college too

Greenway is too expensive for whatever intangibles it is that he brings. On the field, he rarely stuffs runs or makes plays in the passing game. and his tackling efficiency is among the poorest in the NFL. Better to replace him with Hodges, but since Greenway is still here and Brinkley isn't, maybe Hodges will be at MLB? Not sure what the plan is. Personally would've rather keep Brinkley, who's a very sure tackler, and plug the athletic Hodges in @ WLB.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#60 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:41 am

Also, I don't understand the Jennings cut timing.

http://overthecap.com/player/greg-jennings/1994/

that said the dead money would be 2 mil if they waited till June 1st, so why did they cut him now? Is that info inaccurate or am I missing something else?

Return to Minnesota Vikings