Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,264

Re: 2018 regular season thread 

Post#41 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:29 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Ill take it cause it was almost an identical call to the Kendricks one earlier in the game. But ya what a horrific call. That is as clean of a play as you can get.

For sure. Both of them were terrible, but at least ours wiped out an INT. This is going to be a huge issue all season long, and then they're going to have to change it in the offseason.

How does the NFL always manage to F this stuff up?

It was an overreaction to the Rodgers injury. Defensive players are screwed now when it comes to the QB. Cant touch head, legs and now when you hit them in the chest you have to adjust mid tackle to not land on him. Its a joke. Might as well make it flag football for the QB.

And I get it to a certain degree. Those are the superstars. But I don't understand why they just can't make it a point of emphasis and leave it up to their officials' judgement, instead of legislating it to the point that they have almost no choice to call it regardless of how flimsy it is. It doesn't seem like it should be that hard.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#42 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:31 pm

I think Dan Bailey's available. I'd go get him.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,060

Post#43 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:37 pm

I hate that we are playing for the FG. I have no faith in this kid.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#44 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:39 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I hate that we are playing for the FG. I have no faith in this kid.

Yup.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#45 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#46 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:42 pm

That's the frustrating thing -- Korbath was generally money on FGs. But he was so unreliable on PATs that it really diminished his value. Now we're going to have to dig somebody up off the scrap heap. You can't bring Carlson back after that.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#47 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:42 pm

Spielman better be on the phone with Dan Bailey right now.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#48 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:44 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I hate that we are playing for the FG. I have no faith in this kid.

Yup.

Yeah, I'm pretty shocked Zimmer didn't at least let them take a shot or two to get into the end zone, or at least another first down. That one is pretty much on him.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#49 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:45 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Yup.

Yeah, I'm pretty shocked Zimmer didn't at least let them take a shot or two to get into the end zone, or at least another first down. That one is pretty much on him.

Cousins was on a tear and had 2 timeouts, you also have a kicker that has 0 confidence. Yet for some reason we play for a FG? Makes no sense to me. You dont have to play super aggressive, but you also dont have to play for a FG either.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,585

Post#50 » by hermes » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:48 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Yup.

yeah that was crazy

its nice to give people multiple chances i guess but carlson and treadwell probably blew all theirs today

wow
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#51 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:49 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Yup.

Cousins was on a tear and had 2 timeouts, you also have a kicker that has 0 confidence. Yet for some reason we play for a FG? Makes no sense to me. You dont have to play super aggressive, but you also dont have to play for a FG either.

I'm not a second-guesser at all -- for example, I thought DeFilippo called a nice game from the start -- but that was bad coaching. Just call a few low-risk plays, see what happens, and then kick. But to just immediately leave it up to a kid who was already struggling, and had just missed a huge kick ... I love Zimmer, but that was a huge mistake.
hermes
RealGM

Post#52 » by hermes » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:49 pm

cousins was great though, that's why we got him and man did he deliver - should have let him have one final shot
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#53 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:52 pm

Oh well ... Cousins looked great, and I thought the line got a LOT better as the game wore on, at least with pass protection. Defense could have been better -- as noted, we missed so many tackles today, which is a rarity -- and special teams obviously just killed us. Can't be giving up free points like the punt block and obviously all those missed kicks. Didn't really feel like we deserved to win this, especially after that penalty, so that makes it a little easier to swallow.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#54 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:58 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

I'm not a second-guesser at all -- for example, I thought DeFilippo called a nice game from the start -- but that was bad coaching. Just call a few low-risk plays, see what happens, and then kick. But to just immediately leave it up to a kid who was already struggling, and had just missed a huge kick ... I love Zimmer, but that was a huge mistake.

I wasnt a fan of the play calling offensively in the first half. It felt like it took us to get our backs against the wall to force DeFilippo to unleash the full playbook for Cousins. I dont think it was horrible, just thought it was very bland, especially when you have Cousins/Cook/Thielen/Diggs/Rudolph. But I thought it got much better the 2nd half.

I just feel like Zim wants this offense to be a conservative power offense to team up with his defense, but this team has big time skill players that need to be used.

But at the end I knew it was going to bite us in the ass when it was clear that we were just playing for a FG. Made absolutely no sense to me.
hermes
RealGM

Post#55 » by hermes » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:03 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:Oh well ... Cousins looked great, and I thought the line got a LOT better as the game wore on, at least with pass protection. Defense could have been better -- as noted, we missed so many tackles today, which is a rarity -- and special teams obviously just killed us. Can't be giving up free points like the punt block and obviously all those missed kicks. Didn't really feel like we deserved to win this, especially after that penalty, so that makes it a little easier to swallow.

and aaron rodgers not winning makes it a little more palatable too
hermes
RealGM

Post#56 » by hermes » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:04 pm

also when hill went out, o'neill came in at right tackle. wasn't paying too close attention too him with the stakes so high but they didn't mention him at all so that must be an ok sign
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#57 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:05 pm

hermes wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:Oh well ... Cousins looked great, and I thought the line got a LOT better as the game wore on, at least with pass protection. Defense could have been better -- as noted, we missed so many tackles today, which is a rarity -- and special teams obviously just killed us. Can't be giving up free points like the punt block and obviously all those missed kicks. Didn't really feel like we deserved to win this, especially after that penalty, so that makes it a little easier to swallow.

and aaron rodgers not winning makes it a little more palatable too

Yes. As always, F THAT GUY.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#58 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:06 pm

hermes wrote:also when hill went out, o'neill came in at right tackle. wasn't paying too close attention too him with the stakes so high but they didn't mention him at all so that must be an ok sign

Without having graded film or anything, I thought we got a LOT better up front as the game wore on. I think Kirk only got sacked twice and hit another five or six times, which is pretty damn good for the amount of throws he put up.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#59 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:10 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I wasnt a fan of the play calling offensively in the first half. It felt like it took us to get our backs against the wall to force DeFilippo to unleash the full playbook for Cousins. I dont think it was horrible, just thought it was very bland, especially when you have Cousins/Cook/Thielen/Diggs/Rudolph. But I thought it got much better the 2nd half.

I just feel like Zim wants this offense to be a conservative power offense to team up with his defense, but this team has big time skill players that need to be used.

But at the end I knew it was going to bite us in the ass when it was clear that we were just playing for a FG. Made absolutely no sense to me.

I don't know about that. I don't feel like we were especially conservative at all last year. As for today, it just felt to me like we were scheming around the fact that A. We couldn't run the ball at any point; and B. Weren't really protecting that well in the early going, and repeatedly getting stuck off schedule (I think we had holding penalties on three separate drives in the 1st half?). I could be way off base but it felt to me that once we started protecting better, and then of course had to throw against a team just trying to hold on, things opened up.

Otherwise, as I said, no question about settling for the FG. Zimmer made a huge mistake there.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#60 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:16 pm

Would you bring back Forbath?

Return to Minnesota Vikings