ImageImageImageImage

Expectations/Excitement '07

Moderator: Parliament10

TheCelticTruth
Analyst
And1: 0
Location: You Can't Handle the Truth, the real city of champions, again.

Expectations/Excitement '07 

Post#1 » by TheCelticTruth » Mon Apr 2, 2007 1:20 pm

I have to say, I've never been this excited for a season BEFORE the draft, and I imagine that many other fans are unusually ready as well.
What are everyone's expectations for this season, and what are you excited about?

I'm going to predict worst case 10-6, likely 14-2. Super Bowl visit, probable.

Most excited about our defense building on last year (especially the twin terrors of Colvin and Thomas outside).

Also excited about Larence Maroney and being able to have a five wide receiver set again.

Sig by twolves4ever
Boston-Syracuse-North Carolina, Screw Duke and BC
"ubuntu"
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#2 » by sunshinekids99 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 9:36 pm

I really like how this team is shaping up. It atleast looks good on paper.
wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

Post#3 » by wetsthebed » Mon Apr 2, 2007 10:20 pm

It clearly looks like a superbowl contender, and it should be without any major injuries *knock on wood*
captain_cheapseats
Starter
And1: 1

Post#4 » by captain_cheapseats » Tue Apr 3, 2007 12:39 am

I'm pumped to see what Maroney can do as a feature back (too optimistic to believe the shoulder thing is serious); he was very exciting last season. I'm also pumped to see Warren continue his unappreciated dominance, and dramatic improvement from year to year. Oh yeah, and then there's Samuel; he ended on a high note, that's for sure.

But mostly, I'm convinced the Pats are moving to a 3 WR offense which I think will be exciting to watch.
U2larkin04
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by U2larkin04 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 2:18 am

completely agree CelticTruth, I am so pumped for this coming up season... I can't even wait to go watch training camp!
TheCelticTruth
Analyst

Post#6 » by TheCelticTruth » Tue Apr 3, 2007 12:51 pm

ot: i got sunburned really bad at last years training camp, not excited about that

for anybody who goes to camp much, do you guys know the dude who sells concessions and walks around making up rhymes about the team?

Sig by twolves4ever

"ubuntu"
FakeScreenName123
RealGM
And1: 5,113

Post#7 » by FakeScreenName123 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 2:20 pm

I feel real good about this team right now.

My main concern is hte Safety Position. I do not understand why Eugene Wilson dropped off so much? Does he really rely on Harrison that much on the field? Im hoping we get some Safety stud in the draft. Or a 5th round safety that bill loves.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#8 » by Dirty Water » Tue Apr 3, 2007 7:36 pm

Our defense is think will be better than the Ravens and Bears. It's almost scary to imagine how good we are on paper barring any major injuries...

I hate the bad rap we got as an "old defense" when most of the guys are 27 or younger... i mean look:

CB: Samuel, Hobbs (Gay)
FS: Wilson (everyone forgets about is return)
SS: Harrison
LB:Vrabel, Thomas, Bruschi, Colvin (Banta Cain)
DL: Seymour, Wilfork, Warren

That's just a nasty, championship caliber defense.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by Dirty Water » Tue Apr 3, 2007 7:38 pm

FakeScreenName123 wrote:I do not understand why Eugene Wilson dropped off so much? .
Injuries. Look ouit this season, he'll be back. The only thing I'm worried about on defense is if Rodney Harrison can continue to compete at a high level. He's getting up there.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#10 » by Celtics_Champs » Tue Apr 3, 2007 11:04 pm

Ghost of the Garden wrote:
CB: Samuel, Hobbs (Gay)
FS: Wilson (everyone forgets about is return)
SS: Harrison
LB:Vrabel, Thomas, Bruschi, Colvin (Banta Cain)
DL: Seymour, Wilfork, Warren

That's just a nasty, championship caliber defense.

Banta cain isnt here anymore. I think he signed on with the 49ers. But that spot will be picked up by someone we draft.

Agreed though, that is a hell of a defense to go up against.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Dirty Water » Tue Apr 3, 2007 11:15 pm

Celtics_champs wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Banta cain isnt here anymore. I think he signed on with the 49ers. But that spot will be picked up by someone we draft.

Agreed though, that is a hell of a defense to go up against.
Wow he's really gone? hmm don't know why I never noticed that. I think we will still be alright.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#12 » by Celtics_Champs » Tue Apr 3, 2007 11:29 pm

Yeah, happened about a month ago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2789594

Didnt this guy lose his SB ring in a public bathroom? :lol: It amazes me, when people that dumb, can get 12.2 million over 3 years.
wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

Post#13 » by wetsthebed » Wed Apr 4, 2007 12:31 am

Ghost of the Garden wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Wow he's really gone? hmm don't know why I never noticed that. I think we will still be alright.
BE ALRIGHT?? This is Tully Banta-Cain we're talking about, the heart of the team!!

Yeah, signed with the niners. Their fans really seem excited about it too...pretty strange..
captain_cheapseats
Starter
And1: 1

Post#14 » by captain_cheapseats » Wed Apr 4, 2007 12:41 am

FakeScreenName123 wrote:I feel real good about this team right now.

My main concern is hte Safety Position. I do not understand why Eugene Wilson dropped off so much? Does he really rely on Harrison that much on the field? Im hoping we get some Safety stud in the draft. Or a 5th round safety that bill loves.

Before getting hurt last year he was on pace for nearly 100 tackles, and was covering pretty well too. I'm not sure what happened in his 2nd year either, but hopefully what he showed at the start of last year was a sign that he's past it.
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#15 » by HCYanks » Wed Apr 4, 2007 1:17 am

Ghost of the Garden wrote:Our defense is think will be better than the Ravens and Bears. It's almost scary to imagine how good we are on paper barring any major injuries...

I hate the bad rap we got as an "old defense" when most of the guys are 27 or younger... i mean look:

While's there's a lot of youngsters on the D, there's a complete lack of youth among the Linebackers. Thomas and Colvin both turn 30 this year, and they're the youngest players in the LB rotation. Bruschi and particularly Vrabel are regressing. Belichick's been neglecting the LB corp in the Draft the past few years and pretty much has to start doing it this year or the team's in serious trouble down the road. The 3-4 depends on good Linebacker play above all else and you need specific types of players both inside and outside. Off-the-street signees and duct tape won't suffice like it has in the past at other positions.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Dirty Water » Wed Apr 4, 2007 3:28 pm

HCYanks wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

While's there's a lot of youngsters on the D, there's a complete lack of youth among the Linebackers. Thomas and Colvin both turn 30 this year, and they're the youngest players in the LB rotation. Bruschi and particularly Vrabel are regressing. Belichick's been neglecting the LB corp in the Draft the past few years and pretty much has to start doing it this year or the team's in serious trouble down the road. The 3-4 depends on good Linebacker play above all else and you need specific types of players both inside and outside. Off-the-street signees and duct tape won't suffice like it has in the past at other positions.

Well it hasn't come back to bite them just yet. I think the fact is that Bellichick likes a guy that knows what he's doing at the linebacker position and it not in the mood to develop young talent. I mean, when was the last time the Patriots drafted a big time linebacker? Colvin, Thomas and Vrabel (Roman Phifer, Bryan Cox in the past) were all signed as veteran free agents. Bruschi is a holdover from the Parcells era.

Until the linebacking crops has a huge regression and takes a huge step backward, the plan has been working. Yes, it took a minor step back last year, but I think Adalius Thomas more than patches up the unit. It will be interesting to see Bellichick's strategies down the road at the position.
BS007
Banned User

Post#17 » by BS007 » Fri Apr 6, 2007 3:28 am

I'm excited about next year. There are some issues like Maroney's health and the CB/Saftey situation and Samuel, but i like the look of the team based on the free agent signings. I think we'll have a good draft as well
TheCelticTruth
Analyst

Post#18 » by TheCelticTruth » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:52 pm

if we end up with reggie nelson at free safety i wouldnt be surprised to see wilson back at corner full time.

thomas may be 30, but its as young as 30 gets in the nfl considering the lack of wear and tear.

i have no concerns about depth, we are always the deepest team in the league under belichick

Sig by twolves4ever

"ubuntu"

Return to New England Patriots