Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 431

Mathurin not finishing games again 

Post#1 » by Grang33r » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:24 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Caitlin Cooper makes a interesting take on twitter that Mathurin isnt trusted to close off games. And predicts itll be this way going forward.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,548

Re: Mathurin not finishing games again 

Post#2 » by xBulletproof » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:48 pm

He shouldn't have finished the game last night. He had an awful night.

I don't know why everyone wants everything just handed to him. Pretty sure people on Twitter were sticking up for him more than he'd stick up for himself. As far as his odds of finishing games going forward, it depends on what the team needs. If they need defense, he won't be there.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#3 » by Wizop » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:03 pm

LeVert was a bad matchup for Mathurin. I like that the coaches are not substituting by the clock without paying attention to matchups and hot hands. I am happy to see that the rotation isn't set in concrete.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
xBulletproof
Analyst

Post#4 » by xBulletproof » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:11 pm

Wizop wrote:LeVert was a bad matchup for Mathurin. I like that the coaches are not substituting by the clock without paying attention to matchups and hot hands. I am happy to see that the rotation isn't set in concrete.

Waasn't just LeVert, pretty sure he was guarding Strus coming out of halftime as well. Who then went on a run.

I rewatched the LeVert made shots, and Mathurin was jumping at fakes and giving up drives. That's not a bad matchup, it was just bad defense. You want LeVert to shoot, not drive, and Mathurin was doing all the wrong things to make that happen.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#5 » by Wizop » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:17 pm

Caitlin has an article up on this. I'll just assume everyone has subscribed to her on Patreon and will read it.
xBulletproof
Analyst

Post#6 » by xBulletproof » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:28 pm

Wizop wrote:Caitlin has an article up on this. I'll just assume everyone has subscribed to her on Patreon and will read it.

Her writings are so long, I have to take a day off work to read them sometimes :lol: Obviously exaggerating.

So I haven't had set aside time to read it yet.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#7 » by Wizop » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:43 pm

xBulletproof wrote:
Wizop wrote:Caitlin has an article up on this. I'll just assume everyone has subscribed to her on Patreon and will read it.

Her writings are so long, I have to take a day off work to read them sometimes :lol: Obviously exaggerating.

Okay, I'll say she didn't excuse Mathurin's play. Let's hope he reads it and is coached by it.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#8 » by Pacersike » Thu Nov 2, 2023 8:22 am

I'm more concerned about Haliburton not starting (many) games again, especially because Pritchard has a big track record of neglecting body health when scouting players.

Behind my computer it is hard to judge, but I hope we have people now who banish players with weaker bodies from the roster.
I hope Tyrese doesn't have a weaker body and that all his other talents didn't fool our office members, who sometimes act a bit desperate to attract top tier talent.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 754

Post#9 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Nov 4, 2023 4:37 am

I think Carlisle is trying very hard to put Mathurin and Nembhard into the fire early. This will have either an iron sharpening iron effect by playing against and with the top talent, or will show him these 2 players aren’t quite ready for the challenge.

We have to remember they’re 2nd year players. Of course we want them to mature quicker than they might be able to.

Early play shows me that they are both still deficient in their abilities. Hopefully they get enough meaningful minutes to improve but not cost us games.
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 178

Post#10 » by JMaster5K » Sat Nov 4, 2023 10:08 am

Pacers Forever wrote:I think Carlisle is trying very hard to put Mathurin and Nembhard into the fire early. This will have either an iron sharpening iron effect by playing against and with the top talent, or will show him these 2 players aren’t quite ready for the challenge.

We have to remember they’re 2nd year players. Of course we want them to mature quicker than they might be able to.

Early play shows me that they are both still deficient in their abilities. Hopefully they get enough meaningful minutes to improve but not cost us games.

CC made a very similar statement in one of the preseason pieces. Something along the lines that she expects both players to take a step back this year, if for no other reason than other teams now have a full season of tape on who they are & what they like & don't like. That combined with the idea that players generally don't begin to really show something different until their 3rd year due to the learning curve of playing in the NBA.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#11 » by Topofthekey » Sat Nov 4, 2023 4:43 pm

xBulletproof wrote:

Her articles are excellently written, but I too find them a little too long sometimes

I'd start reading one of her articles, make my way through about 30-40%, see there's so much remaining, decide to save it for later, only to see there's a new article out, which I also save for later

After a while, there's so much backlog that it starts feeling like homework
Wizop
RealGM

Post#12 » by Wizop » Sat Nov 4, 2023 4:50 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
xBulletproof wrote:

Her articles are excellently written, but I too find them a little too long sometimes

I'd start reading one of her articles, make my way through about 30-40%, see there's so much remaining, decide to save it for later, only to see there's a new article out, which I also save for later

After a while, there's so much backlog that it starts feeling like homework

I skim the technical parts.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#13 » by 8305 » Sun Nov 5, 2023 3:06 am

He’s a plus athlete, tough and fearless. He’s lost confidence in his shot (for good reason) and now defenders play off him, makes him a lot less effective off the dribble. Combine his struggles on offense with his bad defense and he’s not really a rotation level player. Once again I’m seeing multiple guys drafted after our guy who look like superior players. I’m tired of hearing we don’t draft high enough to improve. We just don’t take advantage of the opportunity.

Return to Indiana Pacers