Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,189

Re: Pacers trade rumors & speculation thread 

Post#121 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:53 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
If we were to trade for Okoro,... who would you put in front of him? Who would play behind him?....

I think he’d be another defensive wing to throw out there off the bench. He might be better defensively than Nesmith, but worse offensively? I guess there’s just the theory that you can never have too many defensive wings that can provide point of attack defensive strength in this league. There’d probably be a lot of playoff games finished with Okoro/Nesmith lineups. Heck, you might even see a Haliburton/Nembhard/Okoro/Nesmith/Siakam closing lineup in the playoffs.

As much as I would like the defensive focus of that group,... I seriously hope not. (LOL) That would be one small, small lineup. We would be ending games as small or smaller (without Myles) than we did last year. Okoro is significantly smaller than Nesmith. Though the idea of Okoro/Nesmith on the court together is really appealing.

I assume that we’d be as big or bigger than the closing lineups of teams we’d be matching up against. How often do we see teams shift at closing time to bench their centers, which sometimes even puts Myles in a difficult spot?
So, do you think Okoro can be a more complete, 2 way player than the others on our roster? do you sacrifice Sheppard's time/development? Mathurin's? Nesmith's? Nemhard's?

I think he’d beg the best defensive wing on the roster, which probably means he’d have a role? And if we assume a Buddy/Obi is leaving, then I think there’s time to play and develop all of them?
Just wondering what you, or really anyone, think the rotation would look like?

I would overlook The Forest for the trees, so to speak. This team is still growing and developing and I wouldn’t worry too much about a night to night minutes plan? Just, if Buddy/Obi are averaging 48 minutes a night, and Nembhard/Mathurin are already playing, that’s essentially 48 minutes for Sheppard/Okoro/Walker to pick up throughout games in situational roles.
I do actually like Okoro on our team. If we get go him, do we think he starts next to Hali with Nesmith at the 3?

Don’t know. Wouldn’t worry about it. We’ve had enough injuries and foul troubles and whatnot that I think I’d just rather have an Okoro to throw out there now that we have Siakam than having a Buddy/Obi. The offensive help that Buddy/Obi can provide isn’t as necessary or helpful anymore now that we have a second big time scorer on the roster in Pascal.
I do agree, there is a belief that you can never have too many defensive wings. He is a restricted free agent, so you could at least match offers to keep him. As you pointed out, there just doesn't seem to be an 'available' Pacer that fits with Cleveland?
Unfortunately, the only Pacer that would seem to make sense for Cleveland, might be Stix? Personally, I would rather have Stix.

Agreed on Stix. Though we may just lose him for nothing at years end. He’s outplaying his bench role we can offer him.

But yeah, I don’t know if there’s a simple straight swap, but maybe a 3 way deal we can jump in and try and snag Okoro? I just think he may be gettable, is a tremendous guard/wing defender, and if he can develop anything on the offensive end, would be a long term keeper in addition to Nesmith. If he’d take a similar deal to Nesmith, I’d rather have Okoro than Obi.
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 179

Post#122 » by JMaster5K » Wed Feb 7, 2024 11:01 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
I think he’d be another defensive wing to throw out there off the bench. He might be better defensively than Nesmith, but worse offensively? I guess there’s just the theory that you can never have too many defensive wings that can provide point of attack defensive strength in this league. There’d probably be a lot of playoff games finished with Okoro/Nesmith lineups. Heck, you might even see a Haliburton/Nembhard/Okoro/Nesmith/Siakam closing lineup in the playoffs.

As much as I would like the defensive focus of that group,... I seriously hope not. (LOL) That would be one small, small lineup. We would be ending games as small or smaller (without Myles) than we did last year. Okoro is significantly smaller than Nesmith. Though the idea of Okoro/Nesmith on the court together is really appealing.

I assume that we’d be as big or bigger than the closing lineups of teams we’d be matching up against. How often do we see teams shift at closing time to bench their centers, which sometimes even puts Myles in a difficult spot?
So, do you think Okoro can be a more complete, 2 way player than the others on our roster? do you sacrifice Sheppard's time/development? Mathurin's? Nesmith's? Nemhard's?

I think he’d beg the best defensive wing on the roster, which probably means he’d have a role? And if we assume a Buddy/Obi is leaving, then I think there’s time to play and develop all of them?

I would overlook The Forest for the trees, so to speak. This team is still growing and developing and I wouldn’t worry too much about a night to night minutes plan? Just, if Buddy/Obi are averaging 48 minutes a night, and Nembhard/Mathurin are already playing, that’s essentially 48 minutes for Sheppard/Okoro/Walker to pick up throughout games in situational roles.
I do actually like Okoro on our team. If we get go him, do we think he starts next to Hali with Nesmith at the 3?

Don’t know. Wouldn’t worry about it. We’ve had enough injuries and foul troubles and whatnot that I think I’d just rather have an Okoro to throw out there now that we have Siakam than having a Buddy/Obi. The offensive help that Buddy/Obi can provide isn’t as necessary or helpful anymore now that we have a second big time scorer on the roster in Pascal.
I do agree, there is a belief that you can never have too many defensive wings. He is a restricted free agent, so you could at least match offers to keep him. As you pointed out, there just doesn't seem to be an 'available' Pacer that fits with Cleveland?
Unfortunately, the only Pacer that would seem to make sense for Cleveland, might be Stix? Personally, I would rather have Stix.

Agreed on Stix. Though we may just lose him for nothing at years end. He’s outplaying his bench role we can offer him.

But yeah, I don’t know if there’s a simple straight swap, but maybe a 3 way deal we can jump in and try and snag Okoro? I just think he may be gettable, is a tremendous guard/wing defender, and if he can develop anything on the offensive end, would be a long term keeper in addition to Nesmith. If he’d take a similar deal to Nesmith, I’d rather have Okoro than Obi.

Thanks Scoot. Really appreciate the conversation & your views. I mostly see where you are coming from & really have to agree. With Pascal, I think we still have a need for shooting & particular the combination of screening and shooting that we get from Buddy, but,... from what I've seen lately, it looks like Sheppard can probably do the same thing (will take a bit to earn the reputation, but still,...),... and be a plus defender. Nesmith isn't the movement shooter of either Hield or Sheppard,... but his catch & shoot game,.... just outstanding.

We will probably see a bit of Pascal at the 3 in the short run? simply because, that will still give playing time and a chance to shine to Buddy,.. and more importantly OB1, probably even improve their trade value? but I don't think either is probably here next year?

So, Okoro really does make sense as another development player,... feel like he's in the same position as Nesmith. He has his role on the Cav's, but with so many, more veteran players ahead of him, he isn't going to grow into anything more. A change of scenery would probably do him good, and given a chance, he has the foundation for a good offense to go along with his defense.

If he can be the primary defender at guard,... and let Ty defend off ball, and let Nemhard come off the bench behind Ty,... probably another win-win?....
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#123 » by JMaster5K » Wed Feb 7, 2024 11:15 pm

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,189

Post#124 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Feb 7, 2024 11:25 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:

Thanks Scoot. Really appreciate the conversation & your views. I mostly see where you are coming from & really have to agree. With Pascal, I think we still have a need for shooting & particular the combination of screening and shooting that we get from Buddy, but,... from what I've seen lately, it looks like Sheppard can probably do the same thing (will take a bit to earn the reputation, but still,...),... and be a plus defender. Nesmith isn't the movement shooter of either Hield or Sheppard,... but his catch & shoot game,.... just outstanding.

We will probably see a bit of Pascal at the 3 in the short run? simply because, that will still give playing time and a chance to shine to Buddy,.. and more importantly OB1, probably even improve their trade value? but I don't think either is probably here next year?

So, Okoro really does make sense as another development player,... feel like he's in the same position as Nesmith. He has his role on the Cav's, but with so many, more veteran players ahead of him, he isn't going to grow into anything more. A change of scenery would probably do him good, and given a chance, he has the foundation for a good offense to go along with his defense.

If he can be the primary defender at guard,... and let Ty defend off ball, and let Nemhard come off the bench behind Ty,... probably another win-win?....

Thanks! And right back at you. I heavily enjoy these conversations we are able to have on this forum, and y’all have changed my views on different things regarding this team over the years.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,192

Post#125 » by Wizop » Wed Feb 7, 2024 11:29 pm

Carlisle said recently that TJ needs to be in the rotation and if he's the second unit PG that puts Nembhard at SG.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 959

Post#126 » by Tom White » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:44 am

Wizop wrote:Carlisle said recently that TJ needs to be in the rotation......

Yet it was not that long ago Carlisle was saying TJM's minutes were mostly going away. My how things change.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#127 » by JMaster5K » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:33 am

Tom White wrote:
Wizop wrote:Carlisle said recently that TJ needs to be in the rotation......

Yet it was not that long ago Carlisle was saying TJM's minutes were mostly going away. My how things change.

Yup,... It was this week that Carlisle said they would look to get Nemhard more time at SG, because TJ was playing too well,.. and the up tempo dynamic can be maintained with TJ. That when TJ is in the rotation the teamwork is better. Nemhard at the 2 also significantly improves our defense with only a slight downtick in the offense.

There was a piece in the star, I linked it in earlier in this thread, where both Ty and TJ were explaining how valuable Buddy is to the team. Who knows how this is going to shake out?... LOL. It does seem like the Coaching staff is starting to used our depth, and the differences in skillsets to create favorable match ups?
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 755

Post#128 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:41 am

Way too early speculation on 2024 free agents. Looking at the list here’s some players who caught my eye. Some might not be obtainable or needed.

Who knows they might go the trade route for players under contract.

Siakam 34.2 UFA
Toppin 5.5 RFA
Jalen Smith 5.4 player
McDermott 13.7 UFA
Tshiebwe 2 way
Ken Brown 2 way
Wong 2 way

Jru Holiday 39.4 player
DeRozan 27.3 UFA
Anunoby 19.9 player
Valancuinas 15.0 UFA
Covington 12.0 UFA
Batum 11.2 UFA
Tucker 11.5 player
Claxton 8.6 UFA
Pat Williams 8.0 RFA
Hartenstein 8.0 UFA
Okoro 7.2 RFA
Bey 3.2 RFA
Achiuwa 3.1 RFA
Maxey 3.0 RFA
Quickley 2.7 RFA
Kornet 2.2 UFA
Kess Edwards 1.7 RFA
X Tillman 1.6 UFA

There’s many more but not sure if the other ones are desirable.

Return to Indiana Pacers