basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Re: 2024 draft 

Post#21 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jan 3, 2024 5:13 am

Grang33r wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Is Klintman the guy we liked last year who pulled out of the draft?

Yeah supposed to have been promised to pick him at #26. This team needs some size or they need Jalen Smith to step up and stay healthy. PF is a problem and I'm no feeling it for Toppin all that much.

I saw someone compare Klintman to Atlanta's Jalen Johnson recently. And i cant think of a better fit for the Pacers. Essp when we're not picking in the lottery.

That said, i wouldnt be surprised if he creeps up into the lottery by the draft.

The Pacers need to improve their forwards.

In spite of a big win against the Bucks and playing pretty well, I still feel that the Pacers did poorly in the 2023 draft. No question they should have pick TJD in the 2nd round at 40 rather than trading off that pick for cash and a later pick, but even then could have took him at 47. All he wanted was a guaranteed contract not a 2 way. Well GSW gave it to him and he's playing and doing well. I'd rather have TJD than Toppin who continues to rebound poorly.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#22 » by Wizop » Wed Jan 3, 2024 2:40 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:No question they should have pick TJD in the 2nd round at 40 rather than trading off that pick for cash and a later pick, but even then could have took him at 47. All he wanted was a guaranteed contract not a 2 way. Well GSW gave it to him and he's playing and doing well. I'd rather have TJD than Toppin who continues to rebound poorly.

TJD was not the only player on the board at 40 but gone by 47. I wish we hadn't sold the pick, but I'm not sure guaranteeing TJD was something we should've done. it is working for GSW though.

I feel a lot better about SF with Nesmith getting his minutes there instead of at PF.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 178

Post#23 » by JMaster5K » Wed Jan 3, 2024 6:58 pm

Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:No question they should have pick TJD in the 2nd round at 40 rather than trading off that pick for cash and a later pick, but even then could have took him at 47. All he wanted was a guaranteed contract not a 2 way. Well GSW gave it to him and he's playing and doing well. I'd rather have TJD than Toppin who continues to rebound poorly.

TJD was not the only player on the board at 40 but gone by 47. I wish we hadn't sold the pick, but I'm not sure guaranteeing TJD was something we should've done. it is working for GSW though.

I feel a lot better about SF with Nesmith getting his minutes there instead of at PF.

TJD fell into a great spot for him. He is playing exceptionally well, in their offense and defense. It's interesting that TJD & Toppin were mentioned together. They both are fast for their size, but have limited lateral mobility. TJD is the better rebounder, and puts more effort into defense, so yeah, I'd probably rather have him than Toppin. However, neither really fit the Pacers scheme's.

So, I understand us passing, particularly as all our 2nd's were signed to two-ways, or overseas. We just didn't have the space to give him that guarantee. Still,.. I'm happy for him. He is in a great spot, that could lay the foundations for a long career.

Yeah,.. I feel a LOT better about SF after watching Nesmith, as well. LOL - I had to go back and look, but the critiques of him prior to the 2020 draft marked him as 'the best shooter in the draft'. Hopefully, this is just the beginning for him. =]
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#24 » by JMaster5K » Wed Jan 3, 2024 8:28 pm

Anyone looked into PJ Hall from Clemson?
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#25 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jan 3, 2024 10:05 pm

Wizop wrote:

TJD is the better rebounder by far over Toppin who there would have been no need to trade for if TJD had been drafted at 47. Toppin is making $6.8 million compared to $1.1 million for TJD. Trace is averaging more rebounds in 1/2 the minutes as Toppin. Trace has not been shooting 3s at all but I still believe he can hit them but doesn't shoot them because he does not have to. Toppin's shooting has improved but the Pacers need rebounding and I don't think Toppin is ever gonna be the answer, now we're talking about Walker being better suited at SF.

So no answer to the PF problem is on the roster and we're gonna keep hearing from the media how the Pacers need to trade for Siakam, which would be a mistake.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#26 » by Wizop » Wed Jan 3, 2024 10:12 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:now we're talking about Walker being better suited at SF.

who is "we?" I've not heard anyone official say he's a three. I don't think we know anything beyond he is still learning how to play a switching defense.

plus, we've played Stix at 4 and I won't be surprised if iJax also plays some with Turner. I think it's too early to know what our rotation will look like in May.

as for TJD, didn't he tell a lot of teams not to draft him? not that always matters but you don't want an unhappy camper.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#27 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jan 3, 2024 10:29 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
Wizop wrote:

TJD fell into a great spot for him. He is playing exceptionally well, in their offense and defense. It's interesting that TJD & Toppin were mentioned together. They both are fast for their size, but have limited lateral mobility. TJD is the better rebounder, and puts more effort into defense, so yeah, I'd probably rather have him than Toppin. However, neither really fit the Pacers scheme's.

So, I understand us passing, particularly as all our 2nd's were signed to two-ways, or overseas. We just didn't have the space to give him that guarantee. Still,.. I'm happy for him. He is in a great spot, that could lay the foundations for a long career.

Yeah,.. I feel a LOT better about SF after watching Nesmith, as well. LOL - I had to go back and look, but the critiques of him prior to the 2020 draft marked him as 'the best shooter in the draft'. Hopefully, this is just the beginning for him. =]

I agree with you and Wizop that Nesmith should be the starter at SF. Where does that leave Bruce Brown and his 1+1 with a team option? I'd think there are teams that would like to have him, I know he's a good defender, but unless he's playing the SG at 6'4'' he's too small to be a Forward.

As for the 2024 draft, looks to me like a PF is needed again. I just really hope the Pacers don't trade their pick/picks for an Expiring like Siakam. I am 99% sure he'd leave in free agency.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#28 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jan 3, 2024 10:35 pm

Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:now we're talking about Walker being better suited at SF.

who is "we?" I've not heard anyone official say he's a three. I don't think we know anything beyond he is still learning how to play a switching defense.

plus, we've played Stix at 4 and I won't be surprised if iJax also plays some with Turner. I think it's too early to know what our rotation will look like in May.

as for TJD, didn't he tell a lot of teams not to draft him? not that always matters but you don't want an unhappy camper.

We referred to a number of people who have watched him play with the Ants, he's very raw and needs to play, I'd like to get a chance to see him play a full game, but I'm not likely to go to a game.

TJD told teams thru his agent that he wanted a 4 year guaranteed contract, and that if they planned on giving him a 2 way that they should not draft him. I don't blame him considering how well he played at IU, he was in the top 4-5 for National Player of the Year. So the Warrior got a player for 4 years costing them next to nothing. Seems to me the terrible rebounding Pacers could have used this player. The 2023 draft looks botched to me, neither #1 pick giving the team any meaningful contribution.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#29 » by Wizop » Wed Jan 3, 2024 11:39 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:The 2023 draft looks botched to me, neither #1 pick giving the team any meaningful contribution.

Isn't that a function of how well our top 10 is playing and not an indictment of the bottom 5? Walker is very young. Sheppard looks poised to take Buddy's minutes next year.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 754

Post#30 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Jan 4, 2024 12:44 am

I’m very happy that Nesmith is playing the 3 and has continued to develop into the projected player that Boston saw in drafting him. Glad he’s not stuck on a taller stronger power forward on defense.

I hope Nesmith can cut down the fouls a bit but love his aggressive defense.

I don’t feel like Bruce Brown or Jordan Nwora will be here next season due to salary and roster fit.

Mixed feelings on whether Toppin, Hield, and McConnell are back. I think Tyrese will want to keep Toppin.

I do think Smith and I Jax will be kept even though we should draft or trade for a rebounding first 4.

I’m not in favor of signing Siakam for big $$. Unfortunately I don’t have a good option in mind yet.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#31 » by Wizop » Thu Jan 4, 2024 12:48 am

Pacers Forever wrote:I do think Smith and I Jax will be kept even though we should draft or trade for a rebounding first 4.

Stix can opt out and test the free agent market.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 754

Post#32 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Jan 4, 2024 1:31 am

Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:I do think Smith and I Jax will be kept even though we should draft or trade for a rebounding first 4.

Nope not letting him get away from the team whom gave him a chance to get on the court.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#33 » by Wizop » Thu Jan 4, 2024 2:13 am

Pacers Forever wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Nope not letting him get away from the team whom gave him a chance to get on the court.

I didn't mean he'd be gone. I only meant we're going to have to give him a competitive raise to keep him.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#34 » by JMaster5K » Thu Jan 4, 2024 2:33 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
Wizop wrote:

I agree with you and Wizop that Nesmith should be the starter at SF. Where does that leave Bruce Brown and his 1+1 with a team option? I'd think there are teams that would like to have him, I know he's a good defender, but unless he's playing the SG at 6'4'' he's too small to be a Forward.

As for the 2024 draft, looks to me like a PF is needed again. I just really hope the Pacers don't trade their pick/picks for an Expiring like Siakam. I am 99% sure he'd leave in free agency.

I think you are right on the money... One of the 'oh yeah' comments on 3 of the websites of basketball 'reporters' who were actually at the G-League Showcase talking to people (and posted interviews from the actual site),... was that there was a new name casually floating in the trade rumors,.. Bruce Brown. It was also commented on (in passing) by Woj. Woj even said the same thing you did,.. that he still has the reputation as a excellent on-ball defender, even if he hasn't been able to show it in Indiana.

Yup,.. still need a real 4, with size, that can defend,.... Gee, I think I heard that before?.... LOLOL =}
Wizop
RealGM

Post#35 » by Wizop » Thu Jan 4, 2024 2:42 pm

JMaster5K wrote:Yup,.. still need a real 4, with size, that can defend,.... Gee, I think I heard that before?.... LOLOL =}

I'm gaining patience. starting Stix has put Toppin and Jackson on the second unit which has helped them.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#36 » by JMaster5K » Thu Jan 4, 2024 2:46 pm

Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:The 2023 draft looks botched to me, neither #1 pick giving the team any meaningful contribution.

Isn't that a function of how well our top 10 is playing and not an indictment of the bottom 5? Walker is very young. Sheppard looks poised to take Buddy's minutes next year.

Yes,..outta the top 10 teams in the draft, the Pacers & the Thunder are both less likely to play rookies because they already have most of a rotation in place.

I gotta believe that it's also a function of just the youth of the guys at the top of the draft? Wemby is playing, but at a rotation level; BMiller is playing but at a rotation level; Scoot has had his issues. If you go just by the numbers, maybe the most impactful of the top 10 rookies so far is likely Ausar Thompson, because of his defense & rebounding? This draft class was always going to be one that needed a couple of seasons before you could expect real contributions by the draftees. Still I like what Walker has brought,.. and what he could be in 2 years. =]
Wizop
RealGM

Post#37 » by Wizop » Thu Jan 4, 2024 2:51 pm

JMaster5K wrote:If you go just by the numbers, maybe the most impactful of the top 10 rookies so far is likely Ausar Thompson,

or Bilal who was taken after we traded back a spot.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#38 » by JMaster5K » Thu Jan 4, 2024 2:54 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:Yup,.. still need a real 4, with size, that can defend,.... Gee, I think I heard that before?.... LOLOL =}

I'm gaining patience. starting Stix has put Toppin and Jackson on the second unit which has helped them.

LOL - me too! at the end of last season,.. both Stix and I-Jax were relegated to backup 5's, and were called 'unplayable' at the 4. At the beginning of the Season, Stix had put on muscle and outworked everyone to be 'the' backup 5. Now, a third of the way through, we are seeing Stix and I-Jax both get time at the 4 and actually play pretty well! We are so much better off than we were at the end of last year.

Both have proven that they belong. Neither may be a starting 4 in this league. We still have the need, but if we find someone that can put both Stix and I-Jax on the second unit together,.. and they are both here (hoping like crazy),.. that's going to be one deep team, with good talent for tier, that is going to give a lot of opponents fits! =]
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#39 » by JMaster5K » Thu Jan 4, 2024 2:58 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:If you go just by the numbers, maybe the most impactful of the top 10 rookies so far is likely Ausar Thompson,

or Bilal who was taken after we traded back a spot.

True! Love his game... I'm guess I just believed that none of these guys was going to come into the league like LeBron. (Regardless of the hype,... LOL) They are all going to take some time. Even MJ & Reggie had a year before they really started to play. =]
Wizop
RealGM

Post#40 » by Wizop » Thu Jan 4, 2024 3:02 pm

JMaster5K wrote:They are all going to take some time. Even MJ & Reggie had a year before they really started to play. =]

and Paul George had his coming out party at the end of the year in a losing playoff series with the Bulls.

Return to Indiana Pacers