xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,548

Re: Pacers vs. 76ers 01/25 

Post#21 » by xBulletproof » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:39 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
xBulletproof wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:
Walker and Sheppard have played well recently and it kinda rubs me wrong that both aren’t getting some more run. The 4th quarter tonight the game was in hand and he could have made an appearance.

Granted Sheppard is a different position situation, but I think they could squeeze Walker in at the 3 since Siakam and Toppin are taking all the 4 minutes. Just feels like they are not playing him for an unknown reason.

Trade deadline coming up. I'm guessing they're gauging interest in a big or two. They are not gauging interest in Walker. So until then there is a benefit to playing the veterans. Hoping Walkers minutes trend up after that, with or without a trade.

I see no reason to trade walker unless someone gets crazy with an offer, he's got 3 years after this one on his rookie deal and we've barely seen him play.

That's what I was saying. You're not gauging trade interest in Walker, but you are the other players. So you need to play them, at least until the trade deadline.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#22 » by Wizop » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:52 pm

xBulletproof wrote:That's what I was saying. You're not gauging trade interest in Walker, but you are the other players. So you need to play them, at least until the trade deadline.

who are you thinking needs to play more? Buddy is the most tradeable but everyone knows what he can and can't do. I think the same is true of Toppin and Smith. I wouldn't trade them unless early discussions with their agents has us far apart on their next contracts, really Walker and the two-ways (JJ doesn't count) are the only players not in the rotation now that Sheppard has earned PT,

in a weird way, I think the Siakam comments could suggest staying pat. he very quickly was happy being here. did the players make him welcome in a matter of days or is the comradery of our locker room common knowledge around the league?
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
xBulletproof
Analyst

Post#23 » by xBulletproof » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:51 pm

Wizop wrote:
xBulletproof wrote:That's what I was saying. You're not gauging trade interest in Walker, but you are the other players. So you need to play them, at least until the trade deadline.

who are you thinking needs to play more? Buddy is the most tradeable but everyone knows what he can and can't do. I think the same is true of Toppin and Smith. I wouldn't trade them unless early discussions with their agents has us far apart on their next contracts, really Walker and the two-ways (JJ doesn't count) are the only players not in the rotation now that Sheppard has earned PT,

in a weird way, I think the Siakam comments could suggest staying pat. he very quickly was happy being here. did the players make him welcome in a matter of days or is the comradery of our locker room common knowledge around the league?

It's not about knowing what they can or can't do. It's about their usefulness to your team. If the guy is never getting off the bench and is a free agent teams aren't going to be willing to part with anything, because the perception is they have no value to you anyway. You have to at least feign that their loss means something to your rotation. That goes double for a guy who's going to be a free agent, as they will want moved to help their value in free agency.

Even if you believe Walker will eat their minutes by the end of the season you can't let the opposing team know you're thinking that way.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#24 » by Wizop » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:00 pm

xBulletproof wrote:Even if you believe Walker will eat their minutes by the end of the season you can't let the opposing team know you're thinking that way.

who's minutes do you think Walker will take? if he's a backup 3 behind Nesmith, that has no trade implications as both have multi-year contracts. if he's the third or fourth 4, behind Pascal and Obi and Stix, Obi and Stix aren't sitting on the bench. both will be free agents (Stix will opt out) but Walker isn't taking the minutes before the trading deadline.

bottom line - this isn't some sort of fantasy basketball where the strategy is to maximize trade value. we're trying to win games and we're going to play the players who help us do that.
xBulletproof
Analyst

Post#25 » by xBulletproof » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:06 pm

Wizop wrote:
xBulletproof wrote:Even if you believe Walker will eat their minutes by the end of the season you can't let the opposing team know you're thinking that way.

who's minutes do you think Walker will take? if he's a backup 3 behind Nesmith, that has no trade implications as both have multi-year contracts. if he's the third or fourth 4, behind Pascal and Obi and Stix, Obi and Stix aren't sitting on the bench. both will be free agents (Stix will opt out) but Walker isn't taking the minutes before the trading deadline.

bottom line - this isn't some sort of fantasy basketball where the strategy is to maximize trade value. we're trying to win games and we're going to play the players who help us do that.

I don't think Walker is a full time 3. I don't think anyone does, really. It's just the way to get him on the court now without affecting the minutes of the bigs you're looking to move.

Also, yes teams will alter lineups and things for short periods of time to help themselves long term. That's not fantasy basketball, it's just smart long term thinking. Especially when the players you're moving around are perceived to be relatively close in on court ability at that time. If your front office isn't doing everything to maximize long term returns and what's best for the team, what ARE they doing?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#26 » by Wizop » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:22 pm

xBulletproof wrote:It's just the way to get him on the court now without affecting the minutes of the bigs you're looking to move.

what bigs would you be looking to move if you were in charge? what kind of player(s) would you want back?
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 178

Post#27 » by JMaster5K » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:19 am

boomershadow wrote:Turner's defense on Embiid last night was spectacular, also. If we end up playing them in the playoffs in the next few years, it'd be really nice if that could continue.

Been really impressed with Turner's defense over the last month to 6 weeks. It looks like he is starting to put together some of the defensive recognition from 3 years ago, with the offense understanding from the last 18 months? If that' true,... next year is going to be so much fun!

There was a play against Houston. Sengun 'missed' a layup. broadcast team said, 'he just missed it'... scorer's recorded it as a missed shot. Had to go frame by frame & magnify it 300% to get a clear enough picture,... but it was a chased down, from behind, clean block of an attempted dunk by Myles. I'm not sure who else could do that,... but the people that could, are a really small group!

Frankly, from what I've seen lately,... I'll take current Myles with where it looks like his defense is going over the Myles that lead the league in blocks. This Myles seems to mean a lot more to the team defense and success than the previous version?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#28 » by Wizop » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:29 pm

It wouldn't be at all surprising to have the Sixers finish 3rd and the Pacers finish 6th setting this up as the first round series.
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 178

Post#29 » by JMaster5K » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:10 pm

Wizop wrote:It wouldn't be at all surprising to have the Sixers finish 3rd and the Pacers finish 6th setting this up as the first round series.

Tankathon & Powerrankings (as well as ESPN but I can't find the link),.. have the Bucks with one of the top 3 hardest schedules from this point forward. They also have the 76er's with one of the middle SoS remaining. Both are guessing that Philly will overtake Milwaukee, while we hold our spot at 6, giving us a first round match up with the Bucks. =]

https://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/playoff_prob.html

https://www.tankathon.com/remaining_schedule_strength

http://powerrankingsguru.com/nba/strength-of-schedule.php

Return to Indiana Pacers