2023 Pacers offseason

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Re: 2023 Pacers offseason 

Post#301 » by Wizop » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:05 am

If I have the math right, it takes Hield, McConnell, and Theis to match Siakim. I can't see Toronto doing that.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 178

Post#302 » by JMaster5K » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:29 am

Wizop wrote:If I have the math right, it takes Hield, McConnell, and Theis to match Siakim. I can't see Toronto doing that.

I think, (dangerous words - lol), the number would be 30,234,726.4 for a standard, simultaneous trade. If we renounced our cap holds & trade to stay under the cap, we would have to send just over 30,299,817?
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#303 » by Topofthekey » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:16 am

Trading for Siakam was a bad idea, right now it's downright bizarre

After adding Walker and Toppin I don't see how Pacers need (or even want) him
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,518

Post#304 » by Godaddycurse » Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:59 am

Topofthekey wrote:Trading for Siakam was a bad idea, right now it's downright bizarre

Only reason i can think of is Siakam is open to an extension with them? It would be a reaaaally good fit for him there
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,187

Post#305 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:13 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:Trading for Siakam was a bad idea, right now it's downright bizarre

Only reason i can think of is Siakam is open to an extension with them? It would be a reaaaally good fit for him there

It’d be wild if he’s open to an extend and trade in Indy. That’d be insanely cheap going forward for him.

But even if he said he was ok with a standard extension in Indy, I don’t think Indy could afford to trust that he’d feel the same after the required 6 month wait.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,518

Post#306 » by Godaddycurse » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:20 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

It’d be wild if he’s open to an extend and trade in Indy. That’d be insanely cheap going forward for him.

But even if he said he was ok with a standard extension in Indy, I don’t think Indy could afford to trust that he’d feel the same after the required 6 month wait.

Im thinking if he does a 120 percent extend and trade, he would enter FA at 10 yrs again with chance at supermax. he would still make max salary in 24-25 but lose a tad in 25-26 due to smaller raise
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#307 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:50 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

Im thinking if he does a 120 percent extend and trade, he would enter FA at 10 yrs again with chance at supermax. he would still make max salary in 24-25 but lose a tad in 25-26 due to smaller raise

So Indy would pay full price for him for 2 years total of play? Or rather, one, and then having to trade him next summer?

You can see why Indy might be willing to deal secondary type assets (future picks, non Walker/Mathurin prospects, etc). It’s tough to deal a Mathurin/Walker when you know you’re gonna have to move the guy again in a year. And you likely won’t get a Mathurin/Walker back at that point.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,309

Post#308 » by Colbinii » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:08 pm

You guys look good going into next season.

Haliburton/Nembhard/McConnell
Brown Jr/Mathurin
Hield/Nesmith
Toppin/Walker
Turner/Theis

This is a strong Top 11 with a ton of flexibility with Nembhard being a player who can plug-and-play 1-3 and Brown Jr also being a plug-and-play 1-4.

Do you have interest in making a big splash? I feel as if it is 1 year too early for you guys to make the big splash, though if Haliburton plays like he did last season [weak All-NBA level] or builds on that, adding a legitimate running mate makes sense since that team is ready to compete now [and you don't want to keep wasting his talents on a Play-In team].
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
nrbq
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#309 » by nrbq » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:33 pm

You guys look good going into next season.

Haliburton/Nembhard/McConnell
Brown Jr/Mathurin
Hield/Nesmith
Toppin/Walker
Turner/Theis
Add Isiah Jackson to this list.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#310 » by Wizop » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:35 pm

Colbinii wrote:You guys look good going into next season. ... Do you have interest in making a big splash?

I think it is a year early for that. We have many contracts that expire or have team options next summer. We also have two FRPs coming in. I do see us trying to find a taker for one of our 3 backup centers. I don't know if we'd get a player back or clear a roster spot for K_Brown, but I wouldn't consider such a trade as a splash.

that said, I might reconsider as the deadline approaches. I have no idea how McConnell, Theis, Nesmith, Nwora, Jackson, and Smith will be used this year. Let's say hypothetically that we're solidly in the playoff picture and Carlisle plans to shorten the rotation in the post season. I think the top 9 would be Haliburton, Nembhard, Mathurin, Brown, Hield, Toppin, Walker, Turner, and Theis/Jackson/Smith. Do you see an obvious weak spot? would McConnell or Nesmith be unhappy on the bench and want out? would Hield be happy with his role?
OnFire
Junior
And1: 27

Post#311 » by OnFire » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:11 am

Anyone have insight why IND
keeps getting linked to Siakam
when we already drafted Walker
and traded for Toppin?

Or do you think it's coming from
agents to create a market?

Same for the Cameron Payne
for McConnell rumors when we
have Nembhardt and other guards
secured.

Just want to solicit thoughts. 8-)
Wizop
RealGM

Post#312 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:20 am

OnFire wrote:Anyone have insight why IND
and traded for Toppin?

Scott Agness says the interest is real but my best guess is that we were interested before the draft and went another way. By the time Wiretap repeated the story, I think it was a stale story.

I also think TJ could be of interest to some contenders. I agree we wouldn't want a point guard back but people making up possible trades have to make the money match.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#313 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:31 pm

OnFire wrote:Anyone have insight why IND
and traded for Toppin?

My guess is much of Indy’s interest has been of the “well, if the price comes down, keep us in mind, or if you find a deal and need a 3rd team, give us a call” type variety. It kind of seems like the whole full price for Siakam thing ended when GM Chad Buchanan said in an interview something like “we talked about moving the 7th, but when it comes to moving it for an expiring, that’s really risky”. I think once Walker was selected, the Pacers probably stepped back? But who knows.

Or do you think it's coming from
agents to create a market?

Good question. Very well could be Toronto driving up interest or just starting to hint to teams he might be available? Also, the reports even haven’t reported the teams are in discussions or negotiations or anything. Merely that Indy has interest, which would usually indicate a much earlier stage that happens often, but rarely ends up consummating in a transaction.
Same for the Cameron Payne
for McConnell rumors when we
have Nembhardt and other guards
secured.

O me, this is the idea that Indy might see Nembhard ready to take over the backup 1 minutes from TJ, but maybe also respect TJ to find him a spot he could still play major minutes. Payne would merely be the salary matching? We’d likely try to get back some of the 3 2nds they just acquired in trade along with TJ, while clearing a little salary off the books for next year, and doing good by TJ.

It’s also possible we could try and get payment for TJ in a deal like this, and then maybe even try and flip Payne along with Nwora or Theis to someone like NY and get some small payment for taking on Fournier, too? It’s mostly just standard late offseason type of roster churn moves.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#314 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:54 pm

OnFire wrote:Same for the Cameron Payne for McConnell rumors when we have Nembhardt and other guards secured.

there's a Payne to OKC thread on the trade forum. I just posted the notion of making it a three way with TJ to the Suns, Payne to OKC, and something to us. could be a forward but could be draft capital if OKC has the cap space to do it that way ... (I'll check) ... no OKC has a ton of first round picks in the next two years but it'd take a capologist to save this idea as OKC doesn't have enough cap room and the Suns have new CBA rules as a tax payer that would require them to send more salary out than Payne's.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#315 » by JMaster5K » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:08 pm

Wizop wrote:
OnFire wrote:Same for the Cameron Payne for McConnell rumors when we have Nembhardt and other guards secured.

there's a Payne to OKC thread on the trade forum. I just posted the notion of making it a three way with TJ to the Suns, Payne to OKC, and something to us. could be a forward but could be draft capital if OKC has the cap space to do it that way ... (I'll check) ... no OKC has a ton of first round picks in the next two years but it'd take a capologist to save this idea as OKC doesn't have enough cap room and the Suns have new CBA rules as a tax payer that would require them to send more salary out than Payne's.

I'll take a swing,... if you can wait until Aug 23rd for the trade to take place?

Phoenix trades; Cam Payne to the Thunder, Jordan Goodwin to Pacers, Ishmail Wainright to Pacers, Suns 2nd in 2025 to Thunder, Suns 2nd in 2026 to Thunder.

Indiana trades; TJ McConnell to the Suns.

Oklahoma City trades Tre Mann to the Pacers, LAC 1st in 2026.

Phoenix would have to fully guarantee Goodwin & Wainright. Trade can't happen until 60 days after the Suns received Goodwin in trade from the Wizards (June 23rd trade, Aug 23rd eligible - because his salary has to be aggregated & he was signed using the MLE). Suns have $ 10,355,792 outgoing, 8,700,000 incoming. Trade meets the new CBA for teams over the 2nd apron. Phoenix has 15 under contract. Adding 1 player and losing 3 would put them at 13 under contract. they would have to sign at least 1 more prior to start of the season.

Thunder have $ 3,191,400 outgoing, $ 6,500,000 incoming. Thunder are not a tax-paying team. They can take back 200% + 250,000 (trades under 7,250,000 for non-tax teams). $ 6,500,000 < $ 6,632,800. Trade is legal for Thunder under the new CBA. OKC has 21 under contract. They add 1 and lose 1. Still have 21 under contract. Will have to cut back to 18 prior to the start of the season.

Indiana have $ 8,700,000 outgoing, $ 7,047,192 incoming. Pacers are a non-taxpaying team. Trade is legal under the new CBA. Pacers have 17 under contract. They lose 1, but add 3, giving them 19 under contract. They will have to cut 1 before the start of the season. (I was thinking the Pacers would cut both Goodwin and Wainright, putting them at 17, then bring back K. Brown as the 3rd two-way?)

Can play around with the picks to make it even out,.. that was just my take on what might equal out. All the numbers are from RealGM or Spotrac. Not sure any of the teams would do this, but it does actually work,.. LOL =]
Wizop
RealGM

Post#316 » by Wizop » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:26 pm

I'd only trade TJ if he asked us to.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#317 » by JMaster5K » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:30 pm

Wizop wrote:I'd only trade TJ if he asked us to.

Agreed. I'd much rather have him around as a steadying influence & advisor for the younger players.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 754

Post#318 » by Pacers Forever » Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:34 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=9ViPZrC6T8ng6kcZke0I5g

If you’re in Indy or close enough to go.

My daughter, son, and his season ticket holder buddy are planning on going. Of course this is one time I wish I was back living in Indy.

If the NBA sticks to the same format of a home team for the skills challenge, and if Tyrese and Buddy are in the 3 point event there could be heavy Pacer representation.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#319 » by Wizop » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:24 pm

Read on Twitter
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 754

Post#320 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:58 pm

Kendall Brown and Tshiebwe are 2 ways. I don’t remember if the third 2 way has been assigned to Wong ? I’m pretty sure Mojave King is going over seas.

Return to Indiana Pacers