Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,187

Re: 2023 Pacers offseason 

Post#341 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Oct 3, 2023 6:13 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=jYPPXwUlm02fAaE9rSSACw

No roster spot battles. Only the 18 signed to the roster (15 main roster and 3 2 ways) are coming to camp. No training camp bodies.

Mind you, they could bring up to 21 to camp, so I find this silly and wasteful.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#342 » by pacers33granger » Tue Oct 3, 2023 7:58 pm

Yeah I get we have 15 guys and our 3 two ways but we're missing out on evaluating 3 more guys for no reason.

It's incredibly unlikely we find someone whose worth a roster spot right now but not completely unlikely. Plus it's a look at guys you may have interest in later. Or maybe it's a vet brought in to push guys who can maybe be part of the staff down the line.

Does just seem weird for no good reason and a waste of an opportunity.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#343 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Oct 4, 2023 1:47 pm

pacers33granger wrote:Yeah I get we have 15 guys and our 3 two ways but we're missing out on evaluating 3 more guys for no reason.

It's incredibly unlikely we find someone whose worth a roster spot right now but not completely unlikely. Plus it's a look at guys you may have interest in later. Or maybe it's a vet brought in to push guys who can maybe be part of the staff down the line.

Does just seem weird for no good reason and a waste of an opportunity.

Agreed. This front office has churned through 2 ways midseason before and promoted guys who were in camp with the team. It also seems helpful to maybe have some extra vets in camp that you might possibly sign to backfill spots if there’s a trade or whatnot later on. Building that connection in camp with this current team just makes sense. And scouting for future possible additions in any regard, too.

Also, I bet we’ll hear stories of how assistant coach Jannero Pargo has to scrimmage with the team in camp because they need a body or two, etc.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#344 » by pacers33granger » Thu Oct 5, 2023 11:55 pm

We really should bring in Magnum Rolle to fill one of those spots.

JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 178

Post#345 » by JMaster5K » Fri Oct 6, 2023 10:27 am

pacers33granger wrote:We really should bring in Magnum Rolle to fill one of those spots.

Wasn't he a 6'10" F/C from Louisiana Tech?.... I don't remember much else about him? Would he be a good fit?
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#346 » by pacers33granger » Fri Oct 6, 2023 11:44 am

JMaster5K wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:We really should bring in Magnum Rolle to fill one of those spots.

Wasn't he a 6'10" F/C from Louisiana Tech?.... I don't remember much else about him? Would he be a good fit?
Was just a joke as he was the first name that came to mind of a training camp body many of us were excited for. Pretty sure he's retired now and never made it to the league.

JMaster5K
Senior

Post#347 » by JMaster5K » Fri Oct 6, 2023 12:02 pm

LOLOL - I just looked him up,... He last played in 2016-17 with Nakhon Pathom Mad Goat in Taiwan. LOLOLOLOL

Sorry mate,... I missed that completely,..... <---- clueless. 8/
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#348 » by Wizop » Fri Oct 6, 2023 1:17 pm

I'll write it again. I'm happy we only have 18 guys in camp. We have lots of competition for spots in the regular rotation and I think it would have been a mistake to take time away from those battles to let others fight for seats on the bench.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#349 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Oct 6, 2023 7:37 pm

Wizop wrote:I'll write it again. I'm happy we only have 18 guys in camp. We have lots of competition for spots in the regular rotation and I think it would have been a mistake to take time away from those battles to let others fight for seats on the bench.

Heartily disagree. We’ve promoted GLeague guys to 2 way spots how many years in a row now? Seems like mismanagement to not get some eyes on guys in camp alongside your big league players and with your main coaching staff. Or, if you think that you might make a 2 for 1 type deal midseason and backfill the spot with a vet like George Hill or James Johnson, why not have them in camp to help build some rapport early with this roster?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#350 » by Wizop » Fri Oct 6, 2023 7:52 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:We’ve promoted GLeague guys to 2 way spots how many years in a row now?

we've got all season to do that. the Ants now practice and play in the same building so we don't need to bring them to the big boys camp to scout them.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#351 » by JMaster5K » Sat Oct 7, 2023 11:06 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:I'll write it again. I'm happy we only have 18 guys in camp. We have lots of competition for spots in the regular rotation and I think it would have been a mistake to take time away from those battles to let others fight for seats on the bench.

Heartily disagree. We’ve promoted GLeague guys to 2 way spots how many years in a row now? Seems like mismanagement to not get some eyes on guys in camp alongside your big league players and with your main coaching staff. Or, if you think that you might make a 2 for 1 type deal midseason and backfill the spot with a vet like George Hill or James Johnson, why not have them in camp to help build some rapport early with this roster?

I'm not for spending money without return, but,.... Both George Hill, and James Johnson are currently unsigned. Johnson in particular was on contract with the pacers all year, last year because of the culture and accountability he helped to establish within the team. You bring them back on summer paychecks. They get some time in working on their games, helping the younger players with their mindset, adjustment to the league, and continually learning the work ethic it takes to be successful. They get to collect a bit of pay. You get the veteran continuity without having to carry the veterans on the league roster? They are both likely to be around the team during the season anyway, so you give some extra weight to the presence they bring by recognizing their input during camp.

Seems like it could be a win-win?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#352 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Oct 7, 2023 12:10 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:We’ve promoted GLeague guys to 2 way spots how many years in a row now?

we've got all season to do that. the Ants now practice and play in the same building so we don't need to bring them to the big boys camp to scout them.

I guess if Carlisle feels like he and his staff can’t handle a full camp like most all of the other teams, they just can’t handle it. But in the past, we’ve used the roster spots well to spot talent. And we’re giving that up because Carlisle wants to take it a bit easier in camp. That bugs me as a fan that they’re so confident in themselves that they just can’t imagine that someone might beat out Wong, Tshiebwe, or Brown for a 2 way. That they might have scouted “wrong”. Etc.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#353 » by Wizop » Sat Oct 7, 2023 12:34 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:That bugs me as a fan that they’re so confident in themselves that they just can’t imagine that someone might beat out Wong, Tshiebwe, or Brown for a 2 way. That they might have scouted “wrong”. Etc.

we don't disagree often but we do here. I just don't see the need to take time away from serious camp battles like where do McConnell, Hield, Nesmith, Nwora, Smith, and Jackson fit in the rotation. we can take another look at two-ways after the leagues cuts down to 15 and players hit the waiver wire.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#354 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Oct 7, 2023 2:57 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:That bugs me as a fan that they’re so confident in themselves that they just can’t imagine that someone might beat out Wong, Tshiebwe, or Brown for a 2 way. That they might have scouted “wrong”. Etc.

we don't disagree often but we do here. I just don't see the need to take time away from serious camp battles like where do McConnell, Hield, Nesmith, Nwora, Smith, and Jackson fit in the rotation. we can take another look at two-ways after the leagues cuts down to 15 and players hit the waiver wire.

I find it disingenuous that they preach “camp competitions” and “camp battles” and yet everyone is infinitely safe from before camp starts and there is no battle, no competition for the roster.

As for starting spots, playing time, and whatnot, I have a hunch they’re going to turn out exactly as Carlisle, et al, assumed so, barring any injuries.

Mostly just I’m confused. There’s absolutely no one else that was a free agent this summer that they wanted to get a look at? No one else available that was in the least intriguing? If I were a vet g league guy that harbored any desire to make it back to he nba I wouldn’t be considering Indy or Ft. Wayne.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#355 » by Wizop » Sat Oct 7, 2023 3:20 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:As for starting spots, playing time, and whatnot, I have a hunch they’re going to turn out exactly as Carlisle, et al, assumed so, barring any injuries.

Is our third five, McConnell, Jackson, Smith, Nwora, and Sheppard? I don't think they are ready to give up on Nwora or Sheppard or move them up but the other three are competing for rotation spots.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#356 » by pacers33granger » Sat Oct 7, 2023 3:39 pm

I don't really think he's an NBA talent but why not someone like Gabe York? The organization likes him to some degree, he knows the plays and everything, and is hungry. Plus will likely be playing with our 2 way guys.

Or is there not another "feel good" guy out there like Kiefer Sykes to give a shot?

We've cut guaranteed guys before after camp. Happened with James White after we gave up several picks to get him iirc.

I know there's competition for minutes but maybe guys like Smith, Nwora, Wong, Brown need to feel like they may not make the roster.

Wizop
RealGM

Post#357 » by Wizop » Sat Oct 7, 2023 3:53 pm

pacers33granger wrote:I don't really think he's an NBA talent but why not someone like Gabe Yorkl?

If TJ is traded, sure
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#358 » by pacers33granger » Sat Oct 7, 2023 4:55 pm

Wizop wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:I don't really think he's an NBA talent but why not someone like Gabe Yorkl?

If TJ is traded, sure
I'm not sure why that has a bearing on camp. Get him some reps with guys he will likely be playing with so they can have familiarity and let our end of the roster guys know their spot isn't 100% guaranteed.

Like Scoot has said, just feels like a waste for no good reason.

Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 959

Post#359 » by Tom White » Sat Oct 7, 2023 5:09 pm

Maybe you have watched him more than I have, but I've just never thought he was very good.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#360 » by pacers33granger » Sat Oct 7, 2023 6:16 pm

Tom White wrote:

Maybe you have watched him more than I have, but I've just never thought he was very good.
No he's not but he's been with the organization so knows the playstyle at least.

I don't think anyone expects to find someone in camp worth dumping one of the 18 already there. But it's not about that.

Return to Indiana Pacers