Buddy Hield Trade Rumors, Thoughts, Analysis?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Re: Buddy Hield Trade Rumors, Thoughts, Analysis? 

Post#41 » by Topofthekey » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:33 am

Tom White wrote:
Solid wrote:Yet if you start Ty and Buddy how do you justify a third poor defender in your starting lineup with Ben or Obi?

You don't. You just bring them both off the bench.

It's a contract year for Toppin though, not sure how benching him will affect team chemistry

But he's a weak link right now, Pacers can't have their starting PF average 3 rebounds per game
Solid
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#42 » by Solid » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:50 pm

From BR
Pacers get:
Kyle Kuzma (via Wizards)
Anthony Gill (via Wizards)
Furkan Korkmaz (via Sixers)
$5 million (via Sixers)

Wizards get:
Marcus Morris Sr. (via Sixers)
KJ Martin (via Sixers)
Jaden Springer (via Sixers)
Isaiah Jackson (via Pacers)
Least favorable 2024 first-round pick from the Houston Rockets (top-4 protected), LA Clippers, Oklahoma City Thunder, Utah Jazz (top-10 protected) and Indiana (via Pacers)
2024 second-rounder from the New York Knicks (via Sixers)
2029 second-rounder from the Clippers (via Sixers)

Sixers get:
Buddy Hield (via Pacers)
Delon Wright (Via Wizards)
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,192

Post#43 » by Wizop » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:49 pm

I don't think Kuzma is the answer. I wonder if TJ to Philly for Batum would interest anyone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 959

Post#44 » by Tom White » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:37 pm

Wizop wrote:I don't think Kuzma is the answer.

I agree. Doesn't even matter what the question is.

I wonder if TJ to Philly for Batum would interest anyone.

I wouldn't think so, unless we have a PG squirreled away somewhere who can contribute well and quickly.
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 179

Post#45 » by JMaster5K » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:19 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:I see him (Nwora) as your 3rd forward at either position.

if Buddy were gone, would Nwora move up to the 2nd forward at one position or the other?

Ideally, at least for me, it would all depend on matchups,.. My 1st guard off the bench, at either position would be Nembhard. (Nembhard as the second unit point & getting some minutes at the SG.) My first F/G off the bench would be Nesmith (the second unit SF getting some minutes at SG). Both due to versatility and 2-way skills & comittment. But that isn't going to happen on our current team as that would have Brown, Mathurin, Hield, and Haliburton all starting, which obviously just doesn't work, at all, in any universe. So, if one of those 4 has to play off the bench, that is going to affect the PT for both Nembhard and Nesmith. (and this doesn't even address Shephard, who has a great upside in his own right.)

Nwora for me is in competition with Walker to be guy who gets the extra minutes at SF and the extra minutes at PF. Maybe 12 - 16 a night? When the team matches up with a faster, team that switches more often, usually with a smaller 4, the Nwora should be playing more minutes at the 4 than a typical night. When we play a team that has a bigger, not as quick 3, then Nwora should get more minutes at the 3. There could also be nights where we face a team that runs a big 4, and a quick 3,.. on those nights, Stix, or Jackson, or Walker should probably be getting more minutes at the 4, with Nesmith getting the bulk of the minutes at the 3, and little time for Nwora.

Don't get me wrong. I do like Nwora's game, but for me, on a real contending team, he is likely to be the number 8 or 9 guy in the rotation. For the current Pacers, I think, if he really started to max out his game, he could become the primary back up at the 4, with Stix getting the double-big minutes. But, he would have to really essentially demand that spot in the rotation with his play. If that makes any sense?
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#46 » by JMaster5K » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:21 pm

Wizop wrote:I don't think Kuzma is the answer. I wonder if TJ to Philly for Batum would interest anyone.

I agree as well. I like Kuzma, just not on as a 4 on the Pacers. Don't think he is the answer. I think there a few players out there that could be a long term answer at the 4. Just don't think any of them are probably gettable right now.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#47 » by JMaster5K » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:43 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:Watching this team so far this year i believe this starting unit would be better with Buddy starting. Math doesn't provide the same spacing and isn't exactly elite at anything. It may take a couple seasons of Math development to be ready to be a go to player.
Wizop wrote:
8305 wrote:Today we look a lot more like a team still in the development stage.

agreed and I think that makes Buddy more of a luxury. but he has been in a slump which makes us more willing to give up on him and other teams less willing to think he's what they need.

Tom White wrote:
I say his "problems" began when he was moved out of his role in the starting line-up. He really was clicking with those players, and it isn't working as well with the guys he now shares the floor with. Not his fault, I'd say. Carlisle may have done better if he had not messed with a good thing.
Wizop wrote:
agreed and I think that makes Buddy more of a luxury. but he has been in a slump which makes us more willing to give up on him and other teams less willing to think he's what they need.

it was certainly true last year that both Haliburton and Hield were much better when they were on the floor together. each had much worse stats when the other was sitting.[/quote]

I think we see the offensive relationship between Hield's shooting and Haliburton's playmaking / shooting that open the floor for each other. Hield gets better open looks becuase of Hali's ability to attack & dish. Haliburton has the seams to make his plays because teams have to extend their spacing to keep a man on Buddy. I don't see anyone on our roster who can create the same level of gravity at the perimeter as Buddy? Shep, maybe, in a year or two when he's proven to the league that opponents can't give him any space?

BB is a good shooter, but he also (maybe primarily) attacks the rim, he doesn't create the same level of attention, nor attention as deep in the backcourt as Hield. Mathurin doesn't create that level of attention. Nesmith doesn't create that level of spacing. Nembhard did, at some points last year, but he's needed to back up Hali.

I think Ty may be one of those floor generals, that just needs the extra space created by a dead-eye, knock down shooter. That was how the Magic put the brakes on our break, they were physical on Ty, and able to put bodies on him, partially because they were willing to let the other guys shoot (adjusting their spacing accordingly). If they lost, so be it. The Magic are playing great defense at the moment, but they also had a good plan beyond just the commitment to defense.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#48 » by Wizop » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:28 pm

JMaster5K wrote:Don't get me wrong. I do like Nwora's game, but for me, on a real contending team, he is likely to be the number 8 or 9 guy in the rotation.

but so far he's been 11th or 12th.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#49 » by JMaster5K » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:35 pm

OK,.. have to admit,.. after the first 15 games,... I really don't want to see Buddy traded.

He just gives us too much spacing, and consistent, efficient, effective offense. We are not likely to find that combination in FA, or the draft. It hasn't yet (though it should) developed from our bench. Also, he's proven to be an 'old dog that you can teach new tricks'. His defense has improved in his time with Indiana. His connectivity within the flow of the offense (reportedly a negative in his time in Sac) has been tremendous.

Unless he really wants to go some other place & chase a ring, I'd really love for him to continue being a Pacer.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 755

Post#50 » by Pacers Forever » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:58 pm

JMaster5K wrote:OK,.. have to admit,.. after the first 15 games,... I really don't want to see Buddy traded.

He just gives us too much spacing, and consistent, efficient, effective offense. We are not likely to find that combination in FA, or the draft. It hasn't yet (though it should) developed from our bench. Also, he's proven to be an 'old dog that you can teach new tricks'. His defense has improved in his time with Indiana. His connectivity within the flow of the offense (reportedly a negative in his time in Sac) has been tremendous.

Unless he really wants to go some other place & chase a ring, I'd really love for him to continue being a Pacer.

I’ve been a big fan since he came to the team. I think his 3 point frequency and efficiency (which they desperately needed) has been a great asset. His ability to space the court is connected to Tyrese’s ability to drive and distribute to Buddy for open 3’s.

If they get or develop a dual purpose 4 who can defend and rebound Buddy will not hurt the lineup as much with his defensive abilities.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#51 » by JMaster5K » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:31 am

Pacers Forever wrote:I’ve been a big fan since he came to the team. I think his 3 point frequency and efficiency (which they desperately needed) has been a great asset. His ability to space the court is connected to Tyrese’s ability to drive and distribute to Buddy for open 3’s.

If they get or develop a dual purpose 4 who can defend and rebound Buddy will not hurt the lineup as much with his defensive abilities.

In CC's video piece on the in-season tournament, she had a couple of minutes on how Buddy moves, uses a ghost screen, to move to the most open area on the perimeter. How that opens the floor not just for Ty, but for everyone. How some of the Pacers cutters actually have lanes because of Buddy's movement. Also showed a couple of good clips of Buddy playing defense,... said essentially, it may not be 'good', but it also isn't bad.

Even if you could find someone to learn from him, and fill that role, part of his gravity is his reputation. I just don't see anyone you can 'plug and play' that can create those same opportunities?

Agree with you on the 2-way 4. With or without Buddy, I could be wrong, but I just don't think the defense can really compete without that open side defense and help, and don't think we can control possessions without a true block-out, rebounding 4. (perfect example - the minutes that Stix and I-Jax played together, short time, but we won the rebounding war during that time, and had improved defense.)
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 755

Post#52 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:00 am

JMaster5K wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:I’ve been a big fan since he came to the team. I think his 3 point frequency and efficiency (which they desperately needed) has been a great asset. His ability to space the court is connected to Tyrese’s ability to drive and distribute to Buddy for open 3’s.

In CC's video piece on the in-season tournament, she had a couple of minutes on how Buddy moves, uses a ghost screen, to move to the most open area on the perimeter. How that opens the floor not just for Ty, but for everyone. How some of the Pacers cutters actually have lanes because of Buddy's movement. Also showed a couple of good clips of Buddy playing defense,... said essentially, it may not be 'good', but it also isn't bad.

Even if you could find someone to learn from him, and fill that role, part of his gravity is his reputation. I just don't see anyone you can 'plug and play' that can create those same opportunities?

Agree with you on the 2-way 4. With or without Buddy, I could be wrong, but I just don't think the defense can really compete without that open side defense and help, and don't think we can control possessions without a true block-out, rebounding 4. (perfect example - the minutes that Stix and I-Jax played together, short time, but we won the rebounding war during that time, and had improved defense.)

The example you’ve listed shows as another poster points out that too often they get in trouble playing 6’5” players on opposing 6’8” players and get out rebounded causing second chance point opportunities. Playing that stretch with Isiah and Stix worked well. While I don’t think that they are the right pieces long term to execute this it worked and stopped the opponents advantage.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#53 » by JMaster5K » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:11 am

Pacers Forever wrote:The example you’ve listed shows as another poster points out that too often they get in trouble playing 6’5” players on opposing 6’8” players and get out rebounded causing second chance point opportunities. Playing that stretch with Isiah and Stix worked well. While I don’t think that they are the right pieces long term to execute this it worked and stopped the opponents advantage.

Agree completely. =]
Wizop
RealGM

Post#54 » by Wizop » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:54 pm

Read on Twitter
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,189

Post#55 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:11 pm

Yeah, that ain’t happening :lol:
Wizop
RealGM

Post#56 » by Wizop » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:22 pm

I'd drop the demand for a draft pick if we got a starter rather than a rotation player.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:27 pm

Wizop wrote:I'd drop the demand for a draft pick if we got a starter rather than a rotation player.

Ben Simmons is a starter :wink:

But seriously, I don’t know that Buddy will reasonably have that type of value on his own.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#58 » by Wizop » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:43 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Ben Simmons is a starter :wink:

But seriously, I don’t know that Buddy will reasonably have that type of value on his own.

I would've done Ben several years ago. I'd do Grant now and maybe Tobias Harris. but I think eventually we'll just extend Buddy after the market sets his price.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,509

Post#59 » by jowglenn » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:52 pm

Some kind of 3-way where the Pacers get Jerami Grant, Team C gets Hield, and Portland gets some filler salary from Team C, an asset from Team C, and maybe an asset from the Pacers (like Jackson?)
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:35 am

jowglenn wrote:Some kind of 3-way where the Pacers get Jerami Grant, Team C gets Hield, and Portland gets some filler salary from Team C, an asset from Team C, and maybe an asset from the Pacers (like Jackson?)

I mean, I’m so hard up for a “big forward that can defend” that I’d give up one of our firsts in this draft. I’m also not insanely hot on this 2024 draft. I don’t think his contract is terrible, and it runs through his age 33 season, and he’s not quite yet 30, so he should age ok. He’s also locked in for 3-4 more years after this one.

Return to Indiana Pacers