2024 draft

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Re: 2024 draft 

Post#41 » by Wizop » Thu Jan 4, 2024 3:04 pm

JMaster5K wrote:Now, a third of the way through, we are seeing Stix and I-Jax both get time at the 4

isn't iJax mostly playing the 5 with Toppin at the 4?
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 178

Post#42 » by JMaster5K » Thu Jan 4, 2024 3:07 pm

Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:now we're talking about Walker being better suited at SF.

who is "we?" I've not heard anyone official say he's a three. I don't think we know anything beyond he is still learning how to play a switching defense.

plus, we've played Stix at 4 and I won't be surprised if iJax also plays some with Turner. I think it's too early to know what our rotation will look like in May.

as for TJD, didn't he tell a lot of teams not to draft him? not that always matters but you don't want an unhappy camper.

Count me as one of the 'we'. LOL =} I don't think he actually has a position yet. I think the coaches are still working with him to figure out what he can do, and where he can fit best.

It's just my opinion, but looking at Coach Carlisle's history with similarly sized, similarly skilled players, he has often developed their floor skills & used them as a '3'. (Dorian Finney-Smith, Kelly Oubre, etc.) My personal opinion is that Walker has equal or better physical traits, better floor skills, and covers more ground defensively than Ron Artest had coming into the league,... Coach helped him to League DPOY in 03-04, in basically this same defense, with a few modern updates.

But he doesn't have the experience or knowledge that Artest had coming into the league,... yet.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#43 » by JMaster5K » Thu Jan 4, 2024 3:11 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:Now, a third of the way through, we are seeing Stix and I-Jax both get time at the 4

isn't iJax mostly playing the 5 with Toppin at the 4?

Yes,... but in Orlando and Houston games (granted double-big lineups), we did get to see I-Jax with Stix (Stix playing the 5 at the rim),.. and a small sample of I-Jax Turner minutes,... I won't say it was amazing,.. it wasn't. But, he didn't look lost at the 4, like he did at the beginning of last year, and he played pretty well. Kinda resurrecting the possibility that we could see him get some time there, or at least see some development for him in that direction.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#44 » by JMaster5K » Thu Jan 4, 2024 3:17 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Stix can opt out and test the free agent market.

Nope not letting him get away from the team whom gave him a chance to get on the court.

I didn't mean he'd be gone. I only meant we're going to have to give him a competitive raise to keep him.

Yup,. Stix already did us (and himself) a favor by resigning with us, when we couldn't offer him any more than his unexercised option, but everyone else could. He bet on himself, and our team. It's paid off for both of us. So, yeah,. I expect him to opt out. Would love to have him back, but realistically, there are a few teams where he could be the starting 5, day one. I expect him to get a good offer from at least 1 of them. I Just hope we are in a position to be close enough on the money, that he wants to stay around and see where this goes. =]
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#45 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 4, 2024 10:49 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:Yup,.. still need a real 4, with size, that can defend,.... Gee, I think I heard that before?.... LOLOL =}

I'm gaining patience. starting Stix has put Toppin and Jackson on the second unit which has helped them.

There is no question that Toppin is playing better off the bench, his rebounding is better, maybe it's that he's against the other teams bench guys, or that he feels less pressure and it's better for him mentally.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#46 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 4, 2024 10:53 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:I do think Smith and I Jax will be kept even though we should draft or trade for a rebounding first 4.

Nope not letting him get away from the team whom gave him a chance to get on the court.

Smith has a player option that will make him a UFA, I don't think he will get any big offers so I'd think he could be had for a contract like Nesmith's 3/$36 or there about.

Jackson is looking much better as a backup center, he's freaky athletic just needs to gain some mass and thereby get stronger and not be as foul prone.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#47 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 4, 2024 10:57 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
TJD fell into a great spot for him. He is playing exceptionally well, in their offense and defense. It's interesting that TJD & Toppin were mentioned together. They both are fast for their size, but have limited lateral mobility. TJD is the better rebounder, and puts more effort into defense, so yeah, I'd probably rather have him than Toppin. However, neither really fit the Pacers scheme's.

So, I understand us passing, particularly as all our 2nd's were signed to two-ways, or overseas. We just didn't have the space to give him that guarantee. Still,.. I'm happy for him. He is in a great spot, that could lay the foundations for a long career.

Yeah,.. I feel a LOT better about SF after watching Nesmith, as well. LOL - I had to go back and look, but the critiques of him prior to the 2020 draft marked him as 'the best shooter in the draft'. Hopefully, this is just the beginning for him. =]

I agree with you and Wizop that Nesmith should be the starter at SF. Where does that leave Bruce Brown and his 1+1 with a team option? I'd think there are teams that would like to have him, I know he's a good defender, but unless he's playing the SG at 6'4'' he's too small to be a Forward.

As for the 2024 draft, looks to me like a PF is needed again. I just really hope the Pacers don't trade their pick/picks for an Expiring like Siakam. I am 99% sure he'd leave in free agency.

I think you are right on the money... One of the 'oh yeah' comments on 3 of the websites of basketball 'reporters' who were actually at the G-League Showcase talking to people (and posted interviews from the actual site),... was that there was a new name casually floating in the trade rumors,.. Bruce Brown. It was also commented on (in passing) by Woj. Woj even said the same thing you did,.. that he still has the reputation as a excellent on-ball defender, even if he hasn't been able to show it in Indiana.

Yup,.. still need a real 4, with size, that can defend,.... Gee, I think I heard that before?.... LOLOL =}

With Brown on a 1+1 deal he could be considered expiring he is a good player best at 2 rather than 3. What contending team might like to have him? And what would they give. He's at $22 million for this season is there a tax team that might want to get out of tax next season who would like to get out of a player who is on a longer contract and would they be willing to give up a future #1 to get Brown on a short contract?
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#48 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jan 4, 2024 11:14 pm

I know this tread was about the 2024 draft but how about a trade idea?

Pacers send Brown to GSW for Wiggins and a 2026 #1 pick. Wiggins is having a bad season IDK if it's from injuries or what? He's more the big wing type that we talk about he'd be the SF with Nesmith. GSW owes a #1 to Portland likely to convey this year so they can't trade any pick until 2026 at the soonest, make it top 4 protected. This would allow them to play Brown at SG and move Klay to the SF. And they lose Wiggin's long term money. Would they pay a #1 to do that? Should the Pacers take on Wiggins and his long term money to gain a 2026 #1 pick?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#49 » by Wizop » Fri Jan 5, 2024 12:01 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Smith has a player option that will make him a UFA, I don't think he will get any big offers so I'd think he could be had for a contract like Nesmith's 3/$36 or there about.

I hope you're right and a Nesmith level contract will suffice.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 431

Post#50 » by Grang33r » Fri Jan 5, 2024 3:41 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:I know this tread was about the 2024 draft but how about a trade idea?

I love chatting about the draft, even if it ends up with us not having a pick, but, id bet we trade our pick, atleast our own.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#51 » by JMaster5K » Fri Jan 5, 2024 3:44 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:I know this tread was about the 2024 draft but how about a trade idea?

Pacers send Brown to GSW for Wiggins and a 2026 #1 pick. Wiggins is having a bad season IDK if it's from injuries or what? He's more the big wing type that we talk about he'd be the SF with Nesmith. GSW owes a #1 to Portland likely to convey this year so they can't trade any pick until 2026 at the soonest, make it top 4 protected. This would allow them to play Brown at SG and move Klay to the SF. And they lose Wiggin's long term money. Would they pay a #1 to do that? Should the Pacers take on Wiggins and his long term money to gain a 2026 #1 pick?

honestly,, idk,.. but it's at least plausible. Not sure the Pacers would want to take on 3 more years of 26M - 30M contracts? But it's not unthinkable.

If Woj is accurate, then I gotta think Brown's value is going to increase the closer we get to the deadline, and teams begin to believe they need a defensive 2 for a post-season run? Even more likely in that his contract is a club option for next year. If he fits great,.. they have another year. If not, he can move along, and a playoff team has 22M come off their books.

I could see NYK being interested? Maybe Atl, Bkn, Den, GS, Phi, Pho,... all seem to make sense from playstyle, opportunity?

For us, I do think we will looking, not because there is anything specifically wrong, but if we can get additional value from a young player, move up in this draft, or even get another selection in 26? In the long run, it could be worth it?
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#52 » by JMaster5K » Fri Jan 5, 2024 3:46 pm

Grang33r wrote:

I love chatting about the draft, even if it ends up with us not having a pick, but, id bet we trade our pick, atleast our own.

Amen! love the hope & possibilities the draft brings! LOL =} This one is going to be interesting. With 2 players from last year who are still cooking, a relatively weak draft, a fairly specific set of needs, and 2 picks to move up, around, or out,... a LOT of options for this year. =]
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 959

Post#53 » by Tom White » Fri Jan 5, 2024 4:11 pm

JMaster5K wrote:....teams begin to believe they need a defensive 2 for a post-season run?....

Does that description not also fit the Pacers?
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#54 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Jan 6, 2024 5:09 am

JMaster5K wrote:

honestly,, idk,.. but it's at least plausible. Not sure the Pacers would want to take on 3 more years of 26M - 30M contracts? But it's not unthinkable.

If Woj is accurate, then I gotta think Brown's value is going to increase the closer we get to the deadline, and teams begin to believe they need a defensive 2 for a post-season run? Even more likely in that his contract is a club option for next year. If he fits great,.. they have another year. If not, he can move along, and a playoff team has 22M come off their books.

I could see NYK being interested? Maybe Atl, Bkn, Den, GS, Phi, Pho,... all seem to make sense from playstyle, opportunity?

For us, I do think we will looking, not because there is anything specifically wrong, but if we can get additional value from a young player, move up in this draft, or even get another selection in 26? In the long run, it could be worth it?

I guess it all depends on how well the Pacers play over the next 3-4 weeks. Crushing the Hawks tonight was a good sign. I still say it is Haliburton and Turner who are wrecking some of these teams. One of them getting hurt could have a terrible effect of the team.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#55 » by JMaster5K » Sat Jan 6, 2024 2:56 pm

Tom White wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:....teams begin to believe they need a defensive 2 for a post-season run?....

Does that description not also fit the Pacers?

basketballwacko2 wrote:I guess it all depends on how well the Pacers play over the next 3-4 weeks. Crushing the Hawks tonight was a good sign. I still say it is Haliburton and Turner who are wrecking some of these teams. One of them getting hurt could have a terrible effect of the team.

I agree with you both. The Idea that B-Brown is a tradeable asset does sorta presume that the Pacers are out of significant playoff contention. CC did raise an interesting point in a recent guest appearance on a recent V-pod (can't remember the name, the one with the guy for the Raptors, and the girl that is a Dallas fan?...) That Brown hasn't fit with the Pacers as well as he might. That he plays excellent on ball defense, but his offense is more like Mathurin's (attacking & driving) than pure shooting. Often his offensive positioning takes him out of position to be the on-ball defender stopping an opponents transition offense.

It opened the idea that there could be some trade possibilities for Brown whether or not we are making a run to the playoffs, depending on the fit of what could be coming back? but once again, stressed the idea, that the Pacers are in a position to be picky. They don't really need to make a move & are already 'over-achieving' the pre-season predicitons.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#56 » by JMaster5K » Mon Jan 8, 2024 11:36 am

Hoopshyle released their second 2024 NBA Aggregate Mock Draft for the season.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2024-aggregate-nba-mock-draft-ron-holland-isaiah-collier-alex-sarr-battle-for-no-1-pick/

Any thoughts?.....

Edit: Don't know how long HoopsHype has been working on this, but this doesn't match up with most of these sites current updates. For some of their 'highest ranking' and 'lowest ranking' numbers to match up, they would have to have been using Mocks from July - Oct 2023. 8{
Wizop
RealGM

Post#57 » by Wizop » Mon Jan 8, 2024 3:00 pm

JMaster5K wrote:Hoopshyle released their second 2024 NBA Aggregate Mock Draft for the season.

I haven't seen enough basketball other than IU and Butler to judge, but if this is accurate I see several guys with the size we need available after the lottery.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#58 » by JMaster5K » Mon Jan 8, 2024 11:21 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:Hoopshyle released their second 2024 NBA Aggregate Mock Draft for the season.

I haven't seen enough basketball other than IU and Butler to judge, but if this is accurate I see several guys with the size we need available after the lottery.

Agreed. They are a bit raw compared to many classes, but there are a number of these guys, just out of the lottery, or into the mid-late first round, that have the size, basic skill set, and athleticism to actually work for us. It might take them a couple of years to get ready, but I'll take our coaching staff over nearly anyone for developing that type of player. =]

I tend to follow this guy a bit in the early stages leading up to the draft. He usually 'sees' the top players (either in person, or via video, but not the 'highlights' that get posted on youtube, actually scouting video.) So, at least for me, he's been more accurate projecting players (strengths & weaknesses) to the NBA,..well, more accurate than guessing when they will be drafted.. LOL =]

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2024-nba-mock-draft/
Wizop
RealGM

Post#59 » by Wizop » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:12 pm

Interesting discussion on Dunn and other hard to evaluate prospects:

Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#60 » by 8305 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:12 am

Wizop wrote:

Saw the Butler UConn game in person. Was impressed with Stephan Castle. Would have interest in a bigger Andrew Nemhard?

Return to Indiana Pacers