Moving Forward into 2023 & beyond?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 179

Re: Moving Forward into 2023 & beyond? 

Post#61 » by JMaster5K » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:38 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:He has so much to gain, if he can make the all-star team this year,.. and very little to lose if he doesn't.

This is why I don't think Siakam's contract situation isn't going to get settled until the FA period,...

I think max/supermax can be a contingency in a contract. Isn't that what we did with Ty?

Yes,... and no. (if I understand this properly?) If the player is coming off his rookie contract & signs a max rookie extension, his actually salary in the first year of the extension can be contingent upon him achieving certain criteria. (I think, this is called having 'Rose Rule language in your contract'?)

Ty's 'max contract' would be set as '25% of the cap',... but it has a contingency, if he achieves any of the criteria for a 'super max' contract, then the salary in his first year of the extension would become 30% of the cap.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/11/hoops-rumors-glossary-derrick-rose-rule.html

Excerpt:
'In recent years, the significant majority of rookie scale extensions that include Rose rule language have been more of a yes or no proposition — a player qualifies for the 30% max with an All-NBA spot, regardless of which team he makes. That’s reportedly the case for Anthony Edwards, Tyrese Haliburton, and LaMelo Ball, who signed maximum-salary rookie scale extensions this past offseason and would receive a bump to the 30% max by making an All-NBA team in 2024.'

For veteran player with between 7 and 9 years experience, who qualifies for a 35% max instead of the 30% max for his experience bracket. This is a 'designated veteran extension',.. or more commonly a supermax extension. (This is the situation for Siakam.)

The details are here,...

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/05/hoops-rumors-glossary-designated-veteran-contract.html

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/nba-contract-extensions-intro-veteran-zach-zobell-xk4lc/

Normally, a veteran player can't sign an extension for max money, that extension is limited to 140% of the last year of their prior contract, unless you meet the criteria for a supermax extension. for most players, you can only make a jump to a max contract via becoming a FA.

===================================

Finally,.. after having said all that (sorry), not sure that Siakam is in that same position? 140% of Siakam's current contract is more than his 30% 'max' contract value based on his experience. So, technically, if it is allowed, he could sign a contract extension at his max value, and at least theoretically include '35% language' that would allow it to become a supermax if he achieved the criteria prior to the extension kicking in, or during the first year of a max veteran contract?

I can't find any example of this actually happening, nor any language in the CBA that would specifically allow it?

(Scoot is this possible?)

Edit: I went back an rechecked the CBA. There is specific references in the CBA that allow the contingent language in the Rookie extensions, but those same references are not included in the veteran extensions. While, in this case, it should be theoretically possible, I don't think you can actually do it.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,192

Post#62 » by Wizop » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:38 pm

Tom White wrote:It appears OG has been traded from the Raptors to the Knicks. So, mark that one off any wish-list.

Wonder who will suit up for Knicks tonight.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#63 » by JMaster5K » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:44 pm

JMaster5K
Senior

Post#64 » by JMaster5K » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:07 pm

Wizop wrote:
Tom White wrote:It appears OG has been traded from the Raptors to the Knicks. So, mark that one off any wish-list.

Wonder who will suit up for Knicks tonight.

Also wonder if the Raptors are now going to move Siakam as well? or do you folks think it's now more likely he gets extended?
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 959

Post#65 » by Tom White » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:05 pm

JMaster5K wrote:Also wonder if the Raptors are now going to move Siakam as well? or do you folks think it's now more likely he gets extended?

If he is looking for a $40M salary, I don't care where he signs, as long as it isn't here.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#66 » by JMaster5K » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:16 pm

Tom White wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:Also wonder if the Raptors are now going to move Siakam as well? or do you folks think it's now more likely he gets extended?

If he is looking for a $40M salary, I don't care where he signs, as long as it isn't here.

LOLOLOl - agree completely,... =}
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#67 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:52 am

Anyone besides me think that Ben Sheppard looks like Clark Gable with a nice tan?
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#68 » by JMaster5K » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:44 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:Anyone besides me think that Ben Sheppard looks like Clark Gable with a nice tan?

So,... after a 3, next season,.. he needs to hit them with 'Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!!'?..... o0 =]
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 959

Post#69 » by Tom White » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:50 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:Anyone besides me think that Ben Sheppard looks like Clark Gable with a nice tan?

You mean he looks like he has been dead for 60+ years? Not a big compliment, I'd say. :lol:
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#70 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:03 pm

Tom White wrote:

You mean he looks like he has been dead for 60+ years? Not a big compliment, I'd say. :lol:

It's that little mustache he's sporting! I kept thinking he looked like someone maybe Clark is his grand pappy!
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#71 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:17 pm

JMaster5K wrote:

So,... after a 3, next season,.. he needs to hit them with 'Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!!'?..... o0 =]

I'm going for post of the year on this one! "I wish I had a pencil mustache." By the late great Jimmy Buffet!

basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#72 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:20 pm

Ben Sheppard or Clark Gable? :lol:

JMaster5K
Senior

Post#73 » by JMaster5K » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:12 pm

JMaster5K
Senior

Post#74 » by JMaster5K » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:15 pm

Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#75 » by 8305 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:22 am

If we don’t make a trade at the deadline that uses our cap space could we do a renogiate/extend with Jalen Smith? He and IJax have both been solid.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect
And1: 129

Post#76 » by jarryd3107 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:47 am

I just watched some of the jazz-raptors game and Olynk could be an interesting option in the summer. He’s a good shooter, a great passer and can play the 3 and 4. He’d fit well with our other bigs.

I think he’d really elevate the second unit. Maybe something like $22m/2 years.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#77 » by JMaster5K » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:19 am

8305 wrote:If we don’t make a trade at the deadline that uses our cap space could we do a renogiate/extend with Jalen Smith? He and IJax have both been solid.

Yeah, agree, both Stix and I-Jax have been much better this year. Unfortunately, I don't believe we can do a renegotiaion/extension with Stix. His last extension was for 2 years (1 + 1),... a contract less than 3 years can't be extended. Checked Spotrac and he isn't listed as extension elligible. ={

Since Stix is either going to exercise his player option ($5,417,386) or become an UFA, we could be keeping some cap room to keep some additional flexibility going into the summer? We do have his bird rights, so we can go over the cap to resign him.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#78 » by JMaster5K » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:24 am

jarryd3107 wrote:I just watched some of the jazz-raptors game and Olynk could be an interesting option in the summer. He’s a good shooter, a great passer and can play the 3 and 4. He’d fit well with our other bigs.

Olynyk has played really well this year, and he does have a skillset that would seem to fit with the Pacers, but at 32, I would think he would have to bring something else (veteran presence, championship pedigree, etc.) that would help elevate the club? Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time,.. LOL =} But, if it was someone that wasn't going to start, and would take minutes away from Nesmith, Stix, I-Jax, etc... I think, I'd rather stick with the younguns,... LOL ? o0
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect
And1: 129

Post#79 » by jarryd3107 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:10 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
jarryd3107 wrote:I just watched some of the jazz-raptors game and Olynk could be an interesting option in the summer. He’s a good shooter, a great passer and can play the 3 and 4. He’d fit well with our other bigs.

Olynyk has played really well this year, and he does have a skillset that would seem to fit with the Pacers, but at 32, I would think he would have to bring something else (veteran presence, championship pedigree, etc.) that would help elevate the club? Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time,.. LOL =} But, if it was someone that wasn't going to start, and would take minutes away from Nesmith, Stix, I-Jax, etc... I think, I'd rather stick with the younguns,... LOL ? o0

The pacers are good enough to start thinking about winning playoff series and to do that we need better depth and talent. I don’t see a big on our roster with Olynk’s skill set, he even plays a bit of point forward. He’d really fit well in the pacers system.

Olynk also plays smaller than Stix or I-Jax, he’d mainly be competing with Toppin and Nesmith for back up forward minutes. Competition is good though, let the best players play.

LOL ?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,192

Post#80 » by Wizop » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:13 pm

jarryd3107 wrote:The pacers are good enough to start thinking about winning playoff series and to do that we need better depth and talent.

talent maybe. depth no. we've got 8 players averaging double figures and our second unit usually wins their minutes. it's also figuring out how to defend.

I'll be interested to see what we do in Denver. were I coaching, I'd play like Doug Moe's nuggets making hockey substitutions early and often and try to run Denver's legs off.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.

Return to Indiana Pacers