Starting Five

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 431

Starting Five 

Post#1 » by Grang33r » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:11 am

Halburton - Mathurin - Brown - Toppin - Turner.

So much talent there but second game in a row they start the game flat. The talent is unquestionable but the fit between them im starting to wonder. Caitlin Cooper recently said they were not a good fit to start together either, i figured give them a chance. Two games is still a small sample size but its not trending well for them.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,189

Re: Starting Five 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:36 pm

I’m not yet seeing exactly what Obi Toppin can do for this roster that they need. He’s got talent, and can be fun, but his absolute lack of any “hip wiggle” seems to kill his adaptability. He’s a straight line driver so far. And on defense, he has trouble with change of directions. I hope it develops, but I’m almost wondering already if we should just let Walker play with the starters and see if we can burn through the growing pains?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,192

Post#3 » by Wizop » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:05 pm

I think we're more like to see Nesmith replacing Toppin than Walker.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
nrbq
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#4 » by nrbq » Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:31 pm

I think we're more like to see Nesmith replacing Toppin than Walker. Thats the same problem as last year. undersized PF. Start Walker.
nrbq
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#5 » by nrbq » Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:33 pm

or Theis
Spates
Sixth Man
And1: 1,298

Post#6 » by Spates » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:29 pm

How would you value a trade of Pascal Siakam for Hield, Ben Sheppard, Andrew Nembhard, and some draft compensation?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#7 » by Wizop » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:01 pm

Spates wrote:How would you value a trade of Pascal Siakam for Hield, Ben Sheppard, Andrew Nembhard, and some draft compensation?

Pacers can't afford to trade assets for an expiring contract. Ask again next summer when a sign and trade is possible.
Spates
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by Spates » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:12 pm

Wizop wrote:
Spates wrote:How would you value a trade of Pascal Siakam for Hield, Ben Sheppard, Andrew Nembhard, and some draft compensation?

Pacers can't afford to trade assets for an expiring contract. Ask again next summer when a sign and trade is possible.

See, that's what I thought. I thought not asking for Walker or Mathurin would be enticing.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#9 » by Wizop » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:37 pm

Spates wrote:
Wizop wrote:

See, that's what I thought. I thought not asking for Walker or Mathurin would be enticing.

Others might be more willing to do this than I am. I do value Nembhard highly but value is not why I am not excited about Siakim or OG.
Spates
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by Spates » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:32 pm

Wizop wrote:
Spates wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Others might be more willing to do this than I am. I do value Nembhard highly but value is not why I am not excited about Siakim or OG.

How are your guard prospects outside of Nembhard and Sheppard?

The difficulty with Siakam is that his market value this summer might be hard to gauge. I would imagine he wants a team where he can compete and be a premier player in a style suiting him. I'm skeptical about him receiving another max contract. With his rights Indiana may have leverage. I imagine they could offer him max money without suffocating their future cap.

Raptors need guard play desperately
Wizop
RealGM

Post#11 » by Wizop » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:39 pm

Spates wrote:How are your guard prospects outside of Nembhard and Sheppard?

I assume you aren't counting Haliburton and McConnell because they are 1s and Hield because he's no longer a prospect. That leaves

Mathurin, BBrown, KBrown, Nesmith, Nwora, and Wong as 2-3s. Some might add Walker.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:35 am

Spates wrote:
Wizop wrote:

It might be, but only if he draft compensation would be low enough to make it enticing. Nembhard’s inclusion is pretty painful, though.

Mostly though, it doesn’t work salary wise. Y’all would likely have to take back Daniel Theis just to work as a legal trade. And as such, y’all would have to waive 3 players before being able to complete the trade. I think it’s just not a valid concept. Mostly,,I think Indy is likely comfortable waiting another year and seeing what Nembhard, Mathurin, Sheppard, Walker, Nesmith, etc can all develop,into by the end of the year before making drastic decisions. Siakam is clearly much better now. But he’s expiring, and has made it clear he’s not going to extend anywhere and would prefer to return to Toronto. It’s a tough situation to consider.
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 179

Post#13 » by JMaster5K » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:49 pm

Grang33r wrote:Halburton - Mathurin - Brown - Toppin - Turner.

So much talent there but second game in a row they start the game flat. The talent is unquestionable but the fit between them im starting to wonder. Caitlin Cooper recently said they were not a good fit to start together either, i figured give them a chance. Two games is still a small sample size but its not trending well for them.

Have to agree. Last year, Brown wasn't a shooter. It was his first season with more than 1.7, 3's attempted per game. He shot .358. His shot profile was incredibly similar to Mathurin's (rim pressure with catch & shoot 3's). a vast majority of his hits came attacking the rim. So far, it looks like he's been identified as the first units shooter. (I can't argue with .667 for the season, on 4.5 attempts per game!) But, it makes me wonder if this is also an adjustment to get Mathurin into the offense, in a comfortable way?

IF (big if), that is true, then it seems like Buddy would be a better fit with the starters? I don't think you would call brown a movement shooter, but Buddy definitely is.

Defensively, we still are trying to cover for 2 guys that just aren't good on defense, Mathurin & Toppin. Even if Brown is the primary perimeter defender, it still means that Ty has to take a key spot in the defensive rotation, working both ends of the court.

It is early, there are still adjustments to be made. =]
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#14 » by JMaster5K » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:58 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Spates wrote:
Wizop wrote:

It might be, but only if he draft compensation would be low enough to make it enticing. Nembhard’s inclusion is pretty painful, though.

Mostly though, it doesn’t work salary wise. Y’all would likely have to take back Daniel Theis just to work as a legal trade. And as such, y’all would have to waive 3 players before being able to complete the trade. I think it’s just not a valid concept. Mostly,,I think Indy is likely comfortable waiting another year and seeing what Nembhard, Mathurin, Sheppard, Walker, Nesmith, etc can all develop,into by the end of the year before making drastic decisions. Siakam is clearly much better now. But he’s expiring, and has made it clear he’s not going to extend anywhere and would prefer to return to Toronto. It’s a tough situation to consider.

I definitely wouldn't be on the happy side of that trade. Don't think the team would either? Timing doesn't really fit? Siakam's 29-30, when the core of this club is 23-25, and probably really looking to compete a year, maybe 2 from now? So far one of our strengths has been our depth, not just depth, but depth with skill and production in their roles. I don't think the Pacers would be ready to trade that combination of players because of how and where it would shorten the rotation. If that makes any sense?.... =/
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#15 » by JMaster5K » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:04 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I’m not yet seeing exactly what Obi Toppin can do for this roster that they need. He’s got talent, and can be fun, but his absolute lack of any “hip wiggle” seems to kill his adaptability. He’s a straight line driver so far. And on defense, he has trouble with change of directions. I hope it develops, but I’m almost wondering already if we should just let Walker play with the starters and see if we can burn through the growing pains?

I hear ya. He fits offensively, of course,... on the run & the release valve 3's. I have to believe that where he can make the most difference is on the boards. I don't think he's been asked, before now, to really be the (or even 'a') primary rebounder? If he can make a difference on the glass, on both ends. We may have to live with the lateral inflexibility for now.

In his interview after the first game, he said the coaches were working with him on not leaking out, rebounding and defense. So, I think it's on the radar for this year. Just have to see how it begins to work itself out?
Spates
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by Spates » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:48 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Spates wrote:See, that's what I thought. I thought not asking for Walker or Mathurin would be enticing.

I definitely wouldn't be on the happy side of that trade. Don't think the team would either? Timing doesn't really fit? Siakam's 29-30, when the core of this club is 23-25, and probably really looking to compete a year, maybe 2 from now? So far one of our strengths has been our depth, not just depth, but depth with skill and production in their roles. I don't think the Pacers would be ready to trade that combination of players because of how and where it would shorten the rotation. If that makes any sense?.... =/

I think it could be an opportunistic low buy for Indiana. I feel your team needs to level up their wing playmaking. With a center spreading the floor I think conditions are better set for Siakam to thrive. Also, with Haliburton's playmaking I think Pascal can excel. I really question how rich his market will be. Could be a good nab. But I understand your hesitation.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:34 pm

Spates wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I think it could be an opportunistic low buy for Indiana. I feel your team needs to level up their wing playmaking. With a center spreading the floor I think conditions are better set for Siakam to thrive. Also, with Haliburton's playmaking I think Pascal can excel. I really question how rich his market will be. Could be a good nab. But I understand your hesitation.

I assume that Siakam may not be the happiest to play almost entirely offball? A big part of his game is his ball handling, and reportedly last year he, Fred, and Barnes butted heads a bit because they all wanted to be more of the primary ball handler. He definitely won’t be that in Indy with Haliburton and even Nembhard. Realistically, we need a big wing defender more than anything else on the roster. That’s usually why OG is more mentioned?

As for his price, I think it’s pretty clear that Siakam will net a max salary. He’s been All-NBA 2 of the last 3 seasons, and he’ll only be 30 when he hits free agency. He’ll likely get a max, and probably for 4 years.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#18 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:00 am

Pascal is a fine player but he is on an expiring contract right? He's making $38 million this year and will be 30, he's gonna want that big Max deal and I just don't see it from the Pacers, 98% chance he leaves and goes back to the Raptors if a trade like this happened, it is a waste of assets.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,509

Post#19 » by jowglenn » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:41 pm

I hope Carlisle tries out some different starting units - he certainly wasn't afraid to experiment last year.

Maybe start Halliburton/Nembhard/Nesmith/Brown/Turner? Or try Halliburton/Mathurin/Nesmith/Brown/Turner? As far as I'm concerned only Halliburton, Brown and Turner should be guaranteed starters.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#20 » by Wizop » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:01 pm

jowglenn wrote:As far as I'm concerned only Halliburton, Brown and Turner should be guaranteed starters.

I would drop Brown from the guaranteed starter list.

Return to Indiana Pacers