?s=20
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,548

Re: Pacers trade rumors & speculation thread 

Post#2 » by xBulletproof » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:38 am

Every time I think about a trade, it makes the depth chart feel off. I love Herb Jones if he's available, but then he splits between SF/PF. We just got Siakam, and then Jarace just started playing SF, and we already have a list of bigs that could deserve playing time.

Does anyone know of a defense stopper at PG/SG instead? I like Dyson Daniels, that's who I wanted when we took Mathurin. He's top 3 in all point of attack defensive metrics, but I doubt they're open to trading him. Matisse Thybulle is the only one I can think of, and I wouldn't be opposed.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 755

Post#3 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:01 am

I didn’t want to start a thread for this tip so I am putting it here.

My son who’s a Pacer’s season ticket holder has a friend who told him about a Dick’s liquidation store located on hwy 135 just past county line road. I think it is where the old Steinmart was located by Bonefish grill.

This place has a sale going on for close out merchandise. Besides items being already on sale those same items are marked down an additional 75% off.

They went tonight and got a $125 authentic Buddy Hield City edition jersey from last year for $20. They also had $100 Nike shoes which my daughter got a pair for around $20.

Anyway if anyone has relatives in the Indy area or still live local you might check this sale out. Not sure anyone will want Buddy’s jersey but maybe other items are available that you might want. They don’t have any other jerseys but I guess they had a lot of this one jersey in many sizes.

Yeah I think Buddy is on the way out of town :o and I wouldn’t be surprised if Toppin, Smith, or Nembhard could be had for the right price.
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 179

Post#4 » by JMaster5K » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:55 am

xBulletproof wrote:Every time I think about a trade, it makes the depth chart feel off. I love Herb Jones if he's available, but then he splits between SF/PF. We just got Siakam, and then Jarace just started playing SF, and we already have a list of bigs that could deserve playing time.

Does anyone know of a defense stopper at PG/SG instead? I like Dyson Daniels, that's who I wanted when we took Mathurin. He's top 3 in all point of attack defensive metrics, but I doubt they're open to trading him. Matisse Thybulle is the only one I can think of, and I wouldn't be opposed.

I'm still on the Tari Eason bandwagon,.... (LOL) =} He's 22, has been an important part of a rotation in limited minutes, and played outstanding ball. But, he's stuck behind Jabari Smith,.. who is one of the few actually outplaying Eason and is 20. =/ Eason is a defensive beast, but needs to learn and grow offensively. He's not ready to start, but is probably ready for a more consistent role. If he could sit behind Pascal for a couple of seasons, he could develop into his long-term replacement, on a timeline more consistent with Hali's timeline.

This only makes sense if we were to move OB1,... but Houston is getting desperate for shooting and backup big help (Eason is currently out with a lower leg bone bruise,.. nothing major but going to take time) OB1 could provide the frontcourt shooting, and backup big they need. Eason could move into a spot with a larger, future opportunity. Would give us 4 = Pascal, Eason, I-Jax 5 = Myles, Stix, I-Jax, with Stix able to play the 4 in double big minutes,... and I-Jax able to play the smal-ball 5?

Would also give Houston 4 = Smith, OB1, Jeff Green 5 = Sengun, OB1, Jeff Green
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,189

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:11 pm

I wouldn’t look at an eventual trade as any assertion that Brett a Siegel is the real deal or anything. I think it’s pretty easy to see that Indy is now not going to operate as a cap space team, so any expiring players that aren’t part of the long term future likely need to be traded for a non expiring contract to “keep the salary slot alive” for future trades or swaps. I think most any cap guru can look at the situation and just surmise that’s a likelihood. Letting Obi/Buddy expire and walk won’t bring any real cap space, and then it’s harder to make trades for other players this summer, etc.
Solid
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#6 » by Solid » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:45 pm

Not being a cap space guru this stuff is foggy.
If we let them expire and were 25 mil under the cap then in the summer we're a threat to poach a 25 mil FA outright.
If we instead trade them for a "guy" or two then it seems like we have a lot less flexibility. We have to trade them to a team that wants them.
It feels like wanting to buy something and having either cash or maybe instead a motorcycle to trade with.
If someone can't use our empty space, then we can take anybody they want from another team into cap space and then trade to them rather than hoping that, last season, we happened to have picked up a guy they want.
An example or two here for elucidation if you please.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:18 pm

Solid wrote:Not being a cap space guru this stuff is foggy.
If we let them expire and were 25 mil under the cap then in the summer we're a threat to poach a 25 mil FA outright.
If we instead trade them for a "guy" or two then it seems like we have a lot less flexibility. We have to trade them to a team that wants them.
It feels like wanting to buy something and having either cash or maybe instead a motorcycle to trade with.
If someone can't use our empty space, then we can take anybody they want from another team into cap space and then trade to them rather than hoping that, last season, we happened to have picked up a guy they want.
An example or two here for elucidation if you please.

If we let them expire, we’re $10m over the salary cap, accounting for Pascal Siakam’s salary cap hold. When a player expires, they’re not completely removed from your salary cap unless you “renounce” your free agent rights (or Bird Rights) to the player. If Siakam signs elsewhere, we would be about $34m under the salary cap, but that would not be ideal, obviously.
Solid
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#8 » by Solid » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:24 pm

Thanks Scoot. I thought we were among the teams with the most money to spend this summer and that it would include mostly the space from our expiring's. So I'm surprised to learn that losing 25 million in salary puts us 10 mil Over! NBA math is like Chinese arithmetic.
Could you recommend a piece of writing or two that outlines most of these vagaries for me please?
ahartleyvu
Bench Warmer
And1: 56

Post#9 » by ahartleyvu » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:28 pm

How would Haliburton and Murray play together?

IND: Buddy + Toppin for Dejounte Murray + Patty Mills
ATL: Murray for D’Angelo Russell + Jalen Hood-Schifino
LAL: Russell + JHS for Buddy + Toppin

Would this base deal work? I’m sure there’s some draft capital needed to even it out.

Murray provides us with scoring and toughness. Not sure if he works well with Haliburton or if they’d be too small though.

Atlanta moves on from Murray but land a talented guard and a prospect. I suspect they might want more out of Murray but it’s a bit of a re-tool.

Feel like LA might want the better player in Murray, but this way they receive expirings in the event Lebron wants something different. Buddy will thrive playing with Lebron and they also pick up Toppin who has shot well this year and would provide quality minutes for him.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:49 pm

Solid wrote:Thanks Scoot. I thought we were among the teams with the most money to spend this summer and that it would include mostly the space from our expiring's. So I'm surprised to learn that losing 25 million in salary puts us 10 mil Over! NBA math is like Chinese arithmetic.
Could you recommend a piece of writing or two that outlines most of these vagaries for me please?

I don’t know of any simple papers that do so, but I think Larry Coon’s site is the absolute best. It’s relatively simple to dive into the CBA using a question and answer type system. Think of the question you have, and start at number 1 to see what matches it the best!

http://cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:52 pm

ahartleyvu wrote:How would Haliburton and Murray play together?

IND: Buddy + Toppin for Dejounte Murray + Patty Mills
ATL: Murray for D’Angelo Russell + Jalen Hood-Schifino
LAL: Russell + JHS for Buddy + Toppin

Would this base deal work? I’m sure there’s some draft capital needed to even it out.

Murray provides us with scoring and toughness. Not sure if he works well with Haliburton or if they’d be too small though.

Atlanta moves on from Murray but land a talented guard and a prospect. I suspect they might want more out of Murray but it’s a bit of a re-tool.

Feel like LA might want the better player in Murray, but this way they receive expirings in the event Lebron wants something different. Buddy will thrive playing with Lebron and they also pick up Toppin who has shot well this year and would provide quality minutes for him.

You really willing to include more firsts to make that happen? And bury Mathurin, Nembhard, etc?

I think it’s ok if we just let the young guys get healthy and grow together for another year before making another massive swing like this.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#12 » by JMaster5K » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:06 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Solid wrote:Thanks Scoot. I thought we were among the teams with the most money to spend this summer and that it would include mostly the space from our expiring's. So I'm surprised to learn that losing 25 million in salary puts us 10 mil Over! NBA math is like Chinese arithmetic.

I don’t know of any simple papers that do so, but I think Larry Coon’s site is the absolute best. It’s relatively simple to dive into the CBA using a question and answer type system. Think of the question you have, and start at number 1 to see what matches it the best!

http://cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

If you want to look at the team cap structure with things like 'cap holds' and all the caps, thresholds, and aprons spelled out,... I use Spotrac...

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/indiana-pacers/cap/

It gives you a picture of structure and numbers,... which helps,.. but only if you sort through the stuff on Larry's page to get the definitions, explanations, and rules.... (otherwise the numbers don't always mean what I think they do.) =}
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#13 » by JMaster5K » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:34 pm

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,192

Post#14 » by Wizop » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:43 pm

Solid wrote:Thanks Scoot. I thought we were among the teams with the most money to spend this summer and that it would include mostly the space from our expiring's.

without getting into the weeds, the Siakam trade took us from under the cap to over the cap and that subjects us to a different set of rules. if you want to go into the weeds.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#15 » by 8305 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:15 pm

Hield, Toppin, 2 2nds for Gordon Hayward?
On a team friendly deal Hayward could be useful moving forward.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 959

Post#16 » by Tom White » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:46 pm

8305 wrote:Hield, Toppin, 2 2nds for Gordon Hayward?

Why give up all that for the corpse of Hayward? I think that would be awful.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:48 pm

8305 wrote:Hield, Toppin, 2 2nds for Gordon Hayward?
On a team friendly deal Hayward could be useful moving forward.

I would think you wouldn’t need to include the 2nds. Other than that, I’m not 100% sure that Hayward can play uptempo enough to fit with Haliburton anymore? Maybe for enough minutes?

My other concern is his ongoing health issues, and it doesn’t necessarily keep the salary slot alive going forward unless he extends as part of the trade. And I’m not sure what type of salary/role he’d be looking expecting.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#18 » by Wizop » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:01 pm

If you could wave a magic wand, what kind of player would you sign to a 10-day to fill the open roster spot?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:39 pm

Wizop wrote:If you could wave a magic wand, what kind of player would you sign to a 10-day to fill the open roster spot?

10 day? I’d look for an uptempo PG that could backup TJ and allow us to rest Haliburton/Nembhard so we can let them heal.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#20 » by Wizop » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:52 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:If you could wave a magic wand, what kind of player would you sign to a 10-day to fill the open roster spot?

10 day? I’d look for an uptempo PG that could backup TJ and allow us to rest Haliburton/Nembhard so we can let them heal.

Elfrid Payton from the Ants?

Return to Indiana Pacers