ImageImageImageImageImage

The 2014 Official Jets NFL Draft Thread

Moderator: Rich Rane

BRIGGS
Analyst
And1: 128

The 2014 Official Jets NFL Draft Thread 

Post#1 » by BRIGGS » Wed Jan 1, 2014 4:25 pm

Please draft Manziell a nd find two big targets--one tight end who is 6-6+ and one WR 6-4 ++ need two new interior offensive line man as well.

Slant this draft to offense

Also need a special team skill player for returns and punts and a good new safety and one lb.

Geno smith did not earn the starting QB spot--let him battle with Manziell competition is good.
Vanilla Ice is the best rap artist of all time
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,969

Re: The 2014 Official Jets NFL Draft Thread 

Post#2 » by Rich Rane » Wed Jan 1, 2014 10:46 pm

With Geno's late season performance and Mark Sanchez's long contract, I'd look for things to be the same as last season. Geno and Mark battling for the starting position and Matt Simms battling a preseason QB for the 3rd spot.

I will agree that Jets need to go offense early and it all starts with getting a weapon opposite of Holmes (and that's me praying he returns to form while taking a good paycut) or replace him. I've grown to like Hill a little more in the early stages of the season, but I just don't know if I can fully trust him as a Number 2 wideout. The slot is fine with Kerley and David Nelson. They could even bring back Salas as a 5th receiver.

I wouldn't mind upgrading the o-line as well. I said towards the end of the season, Geno was showing signs of early stages of Mark Sanchez syndrome.

Ivory and Powell will most likely be featured in the 2014 season. Maybe the Jets will use a late pick for a 3rd or find someone in the undrafted pile.

I've seen a few mocks having the Jets get Eric Ebron (a catching TE), but I'm probably one of the few Jets fans that's content with Jeff Cumberland.

Now on defense, Jets biggest area of need (I'd rank it second overall, tied with the o-line and both behind a Wide Receiver). Antonio Allen was promising until they benched him for Ed Reed. Now on the strong side, they can get rid of both Dawan Landry and Josh Bush.

I've seen a few articles saying Jets need a new corner, but I think they're...alright. Cromartie tends to risk a lot and gets burned, but more often than not, he's capable. Milliner looked promising towards the end of the season as well. It's a position of need, but not a big position of need as opposed to the others I've stated.

As for special teams, I can't believe I'm saying this, but Folk was amazing. Bring him back. I don't have too much of a problem with Quigley. Standard procedure though, sign someone to challenge him in the preseason.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets brought back a healthy Cribbs to return and continue the Wildcat. I still remember that throw against the Ravens. His arm just adds a new dimension to that.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,655

Post#3 » by j4remi » Thu Jan 2, 2014 7:02 pm

I don't think they look RB unless it's late in the draft. A big target WR and a stronger TE would both help out loads. Sure up the Safety, add depth at CB and see to it that you can bench Winters if necessary (might need to replace Colon too). If I'm not mistaken, the Jets can release Sanchez and Santonio Holmes and finally reap real cap benefits now...along with Revis off the books, they should have some spending room to work with. I'd say, bring in a legit threat to take the starting QB spot instead of drafting high again there. I think this team is a good draft away from being really dangerous.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Post#4 » by moocow007 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:31 pm

Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans or Marqise Lee are the best WR's projected. Watkins is the top ranked receiver I believe so he'll probably be gone. Evans is a big receiver but not the quickest so not sure that he's really an ideal no.1 opposite Hill long term. Lee probably is the best in terms of skill and explosiveness but he's been injured.

Ebron seems a bit on the raw side. His size and athleticism are great but not sure if his skills have caught up. The last thing the Jets need is a TE version of Vernon Gholston. But if Ebron can figure things out he's a big target with great quickness and the ability to block well (played DE I believe early on at NC). Could be a game changer as he's been compared to Pro Bowl TE Vernon Davis.

And of course there's Jace Amaro and 6'6" 275lb Sefarian guy that people were gushing about before the season...but Ebron is probably the best TE still.

One would hope one of these 4 would be available and I would expect that they go that route. Still too early to dump Geno Smith. Should at least give him some actual weapons to throw to before making a decision.
JDP
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#5 » by JDP » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:20 am

Watkins, Evans, Lee, or Ebron would all be a great use of a first round pick Geno needs weapons and play makers on offense because what he was dealing with last year was a joke. Watkins will probably gone in the top 10 but one of the four should be there when the Jets pick. Not sure who I would take though all have nice offense upside Evans reminds me of Vincent Jackson while Lee play like a shorter Dez Bryant. As long as we go out and get one of these four the Jets will have done their job.
hatnlvr
General Manager
And1: 1,117

Post#6 » by hatnlvr » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:22 pm

Most of the mock drafts have Watkins and Evans gone before the Jets pick, most show the Jets taking Lee. With the recent news that Vick may be a possible signing I'm expecting Sanchez to be cut any day now.
ImageImage
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by moocow007 » Wed Apr 9, 2014 7:37 pm

Looks like Brandin Cooks may be the guy the Jets are interested in. He's a small (5'9"-5'10") but powerful WR that's super athletic that some compare to Desean Jackson. Supposed to be a tough nosed player with strong hands, great change of direction ability and topline speed. Was very productive in college. Would be interesting.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000339582/article/brandin-cooks-getting-continued-interest-from-new-york-jets

Again his big glaring weakness is his lack of length but with Decker being a big target at 6'3" they may be able to go with a smaller guy like Cooks. A lot of scouts believes that Cooks plays bigger than his height and with his ability to create separation can compensate for his general lack of size.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#8 » by DowNY » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:57 pm

moocow007 wrote:Looks like Brandin Cooks may be the guy the Jets are interested in. He's a small (5'9"-5'10") but powerful WR that's super athletic that some compare to Desean Jackson. Supposed to be a tough nosed player with strong hands, great change of direction ability and topline speed. Was very productive in college. Would be interesting.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000339582/article/brandin-cooks-getting-continued-interest-from-new-york-jets

Again his big glaring weakness is his lack of length but with Decker being a big target at 6'3" they may be able to go with a smaller guy like Cooks. A lot of scouts believes that Cooks plays bigger than his height and with his ability to create separation can compensate for his general lack of size.

I like Lee or OBJ more than Cooks when it comes to starting as our #1 WR.
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#9 » by Grover » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:04 pm

I'm generally a huge fan of trading down and acquiring more picks but if they remain at eighteen it would be difficult to fault Idzik for passing on a receiver as there will be some burners in to the third round. Even cornerback is fairly deep this year but the second tier tackles are in short supply. Zach Martin for his versatility or a slipping Lewan would be very welcome additions to the line. I'm fearful of the right side of the line and Winters taking a leap this year. "It's not sexy but it has teeth."
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by moocow007 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:22 pm

DowNY wrote:
moocow007 wrote:Looks like Brandin Cooks may be the guy the Jets are interested in. He's a small (5'9"-5'10") but powerful WR that's super athletic that some compare to Desean Jackson. Supposed to be a tough nosed player with strong hands, great change of direction ability and topline speed. Was very productive in college. Would be interesting.

I like Lee or OBJ more than Cooks when it comes to starting as our #1 WR.

They could always trade up to try and get Sammy Watkins. Will be extremely expensive to move up. If this was a year where the Jets had no capspace then it would almost be impossible from a sheer practicality standpoint since you need to picks to fill your roster. But with a ton of capspace they can fill spots via free agency and maybe the chance of getting what some scouts have said a "game changer" at WR and the best wideout that has come out of college in quite some time (in Watkins) is worth it. Watkins would change the whole complexion of this team. A 1-2 punch of Watkins and Decker would be HUGE (literally and figuratively) for whomever the QB is.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#11 » by j4remi » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:08 pm

moocow007 wrote:They could always trade up to try and get Sammy Watkins. Will be extremely expensive to move up. If this was a year where the Jets had no capspace then it would almost be impossible from a sheer practicality standpoint since you need to picks to fill your roster. But with a ton of capspace they can fill spots via free agency and maybe the chance of getting what some scouts have said a "game changer" at WR and the best wideout that has come out of college in quite some time (in Watkins) is worth it. Watkins would change the whole complexion of this team. A 1-2 punch of Watkins and Decker would be HUGE (literally and figuratively) for whomever the QB is.

As good as Watkins is, I can't picture them trading up to get him. For one, they still have plenty of needs to fill and they seem much more content to develop talent from within than to rely on FA's, so they'll need the extra picks. For two, this is considered the deepest WR class in years and even though they won't get a Watkins level talent...they can get a starter if they stand pat or even possibly in the second round.

I'd rather the Jets either
a) Trade the pick down to a team that needs a QB because one of Bortles/Bridgewater will probably be available at that point. In this scenario, the Jets add more picks and turn the middle rounds into a massive hole plugging run.

b) Take Dennard if he falls...great fit and Rex NEEDS another CB.

c) Take the best available receiver on their board. I say receiver and not WR because that could be a TE. If they could get Ebron, that's a great look for the offense. I saw on SB Nation, the latest mock draft had us grabbing Beckham in the first and following that up in the second with Jace Amaro...that would make this offense really explosive and scary.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by moocow007 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:58 pm

Jets looking at some mid-late round QB's...Logan Thomas being the most intriguing.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by moocow007 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:33 pm

Rumors floating around that the Jets may be considering trading up to draft 6'5" WR Mike Evans.

Mel Kiper has the Jets drafting Brandin Cooks at 18 if they don't trade up and TE Austin Sefarian Jackson in the 2nd round.

I would still prefer Cooks over OBJ. Cooks has the speed to create space downfield from most any CB (fastest WR) with great body control, leaping ability and hands to haul down deep passes...is electric after catching the ball able to create yards after the catch for himself (ESPN indicates that Cooks gained 1,215 yards AFTER the catch his last 2 seasons...which...considering that he totaled toughly 2400 receiving yards in that period that half of the yards were gained by him creating for himself after the catch ) and is just explosive player. His lack of size is a concern but he's a strong physical player that doesn't seem afraid of contact. I don't think he's a strict slot receiver.

He just seems like a tougher minded player, can also return punts and has taken the ball out of the backfield as well (5.7 yards per carry). Scouts have compared him to guys like Steve Smith and DeSean Jackson game and potential impact wise.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfJvQEYRJsw[/youtube]
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#14 » by j4remi » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:33 pm

moocow007 wrote:Rumors floating around that the Jets may be considering trading up to draft 6'5" WR Mike Evans.

Mel Kiper has the Jets drafting Brandin Cooks at 18 if they don't trade up and TE Austin Sefarian Jackson in the 2nd round.

I would still prefer Cooks over OBJ. Cooks has the speed to create space downfield from most any CB (fastest WR) with great body control, leaping ability and hands to haul down deep passes...is electric after catching the ball able to create yards after the catch for himself (ESPN indicates that Cooks gained 1,215 yards AFTER the catch his last 2 seasons...which...considering that he totaled toughly 2400 receiving yards in that period that half of the yards were gained by him creating for himself after the catch ) and is just explosive player. His lack of size is a concern but he's a strong physical player that doesn't seem afraid of contact. I don't think he's a strict slot receiver.

He just seems like a tougher minded player, can also return punts and has taken the ball out of the backfield as well (5.7 yards per carry). Scouts have compared him to guys like Steve Smith and DeSean Jackson game and potential impact wise.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfJvQEYRJsw[/youtube]

I'd have no problem with Cooks...but I'd prefer Ebron or Dennard and worrying about WR second round (it's a deep pool). I'd also prefer Amaro to Jackson. I'd LOVE them trading up for Evans but I bet it's a steep price for him...but that'd be great.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#15 » by Grover » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:34 pm

This appears to be a draft where several spots remain up in the air and both the Raiders and Cowboys are picking ahead of the Jets which often leads to surprise. Is there anyone who potentially slips to eighteen other than a cornerback, tight end or receiver that would cause a shift in your preference?
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#16 » by j4remi » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:48 pm

Grover wrote:This appears to be a draft where several spots remain up in the air and both the Raiders and Cowboys are picking ahead of the Jets which often leads to surprise. Is there anyone who potentially slips to eighteen other than a cornerback, tight end or receiver that would cause a shift in your preference?

I'd entertain trading down to a team that wants one of the big QB's for one...I think that'd be a good spot to catch a late 1st rounder squad that like Bridgewater.

Clinton-Dix would be interesting. There's the obvious ones like Mack, Robinson and Clowney for me but that's about it. Otherwise, I either want more picks from the slot or a WR, TE or CB.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by moocow007 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:04 pm

Grover wrote:This appears to be a draft where several spots remain up in the air and both the Raiders and Cowboys are picking ahead of the Jets which often leads to surprise. Is there anyone who potentially slips to eighteen other than a cornerback, tight end or receiver that would cause a shift in your preference?

Bridgewater could slip. Not sure if that would shift anything though.

With 12 picks, maybe if the Jets can't trade up to get a Mike Evans maybe they can trade for another mid 1st rounder and try to get both a WR and a CB. Darqueze Dennard and Cooks would be a pretty good haul.

There's also quite a few TE's and big WR's that can be had to offset Cooks size issues...some with quite a bit of pedigree.

As far as WR's goes... some potential mid-late round guys...Jordan Matthews (cousin of Jerry Rice) is a 6'3" WR, Cody Latimer is a 6'3" WR with a 39" vertical former basketball player, Martavis Bryant is also a 6'4" "speedster" receiver and of course there's 6'5" 240lb WR Kelvin Benjamin who is extremely extremely raw but has the potential to be a no.1 wide-out mismatch nightmare.

From the TE end...Jace Amaro and Troy Niklas (nephew of former HOF lineman Bruce Matthews) are both possible in the 2nd round. Niklas is an athletic 6'7" 270lb guy that can block as well catch and create.
BRIGGS
Analyst
And1: 128

Post#18 » by BRIGGS » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:27 pm

Looking back at this three months later here are my thoughts

We got Vick--so my first thought process moves to WR and TE

Round 1.. I love Benjamin from Florid State--not a burner but hes made for us at 6-5 240. He gives us leeway on bad throws with a huge target 6-5 240

Round 2 C.J. Fiedorowicz TE were going to run it--we need a big TE also that 6-8 kid from ND a possibility

Rounds 3-4 we have 3 picks in this range safety CB OL--C

Round 5 OL--G

6th round 1 more offensive Lineman 1 more WR 1more DB 1 more LB 1 more DL 1 more safety

Total
WR--2
DB- 4 2 safeties 2 corners
TE 1
OL 3 1 C 1 G 1 T
DL-1
LB-1
Vanilla Ice is the best rap artist of all time
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#19 » by j4remi » Thu May 1, 2014 2:13 pm

With the insane level of passing offenses we have to play this upcoming season, I can't see the Jets passing on Dennard if he falls and I wouldn't be shocked if they reached on Gilbert.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by moocow007 » Thu May 1, 2014 2:16 pm

BRIGGS wrote:Looking back at this three months later here are my thoughts

We got Vick--so my first thought process moves to WR and TE

Round 1.. I love Benjamin from Florid State--not a burner but hes made for us at 6-5 240. He gives us leeway on bad throws with a huge target 6-5 240

Round 2 C.J. Fiedorowicz TE were going to run it--we need a big TE also that 6-8 kid from ND a possibility

Rounds 3-4 we have 3 picks in this range safety CB OL--C

Round 5 OL--G

6th round 1 more offensive Lineman 1 more WR 1more DB 1 more LB 1 more DL 1 more safety

Total
WR--2
DB- 4 2 safeties 2 corners
TE 1
OL 3 1 C 1 G 1 T
DL-1
LB-1

There's no doubt about the potential nastiness of a 6'5" 240lb receiver should Benjamin actually make it, but my main concern with Benjamin is that he's pretty much mostly just upside and potential...especially as a deep and red zone threat. His fundamentals are poor, his hands are (very) suspect and he's not really had a great deal of experience...all things that were strengths and weaknesses assessed to Stephen Hill whom the Jets apparently may be ready to give up on. If they go Benjamin they better make sure they've done their homework cause the Jets have not done a good job (to say the least) with high upside but raw physical beasts in their recent draft history (DeWayne Roberston, Vernon Gholston and quite possibly Stephen Hill).

Return to New York Jets