ImageImageImage

How much would Santana get on the open market?

Moderator: Ralnor

horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#21 » by horaceworthy » Wed Apr 4, 2007 7:36 pm

Especially when Boof/Slowey/Perkins/Baker/one of our lower tier prospects who may be ready(Swarzak/Rainville/Pino/Sosa, etc.) are either manning down the last two spots in the rotation, helping in the bullpen or being used to bring in another bat. My main worry is that Liriano won't really get back to normal until 2009.

That Boston deal is a pretty fair one though, as far as deals for someone who should be going for his 4th straight Cy Young at the age of 28 go.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
slinky
Bench Warmer
And1: 76

Post#22 » by slinky » Wed Apr 4, 2007 8:57 pm

its because of all those pitchers that i wouldnt spend that type of money on beckett. I understand he is good, and maybe the deal is fair. But we have the talent to compete without beckett. At ten million a year, money i think better served elsewhere...(DH, LF, possibly 3B) is a lot for one player. Ryan likes to find "hidden gems", ponson, ortiz, bonser, silva etc...without santana we are in trouble but in a year or two, count the number of guys who could be pitching in the rotation...i hope ryan is stockpiling for a trade personally(even though i know that is not the case)

It is hard to comprehend the difference between big market and small market teams. While 10 mil is obviously reasonable for a pitcher, especially one with the potential of becket, thats alot of money for the twins, especially with pending extensions of morneau, nathan, possibly cuddyer(jury still out for me)...and of course santana

And lets not dismiss Denard Span, he has a lot of potential. I am not saying he is better than elsbury or not better, but rather watching him play this spring, he wasnt overwhelmed and obviously has to be one of the faster players in the league, or at least the minors.
Bow2Yao11
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#23 » by Bow2Yao11 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 9:11 pm

IF Santana somehow ends up in the NL, he will be unhittable.
John Wall>>>>>>>>>Ricky Rubio
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,610

Post#24 » by Worm Guts » Wed Apr 4, 2007 10:25 pm

Trading Santana is a decision we have to make at the trading deadline next season. If the Twins are in contention they have to keep him, if they aren't in contention then they have to trade him. The only thing to worry about until then is trying to get him signed to an extension.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#25 » by john2jer » Wed Apr 4, 2007 11:08 pm

So basically this forum is going to turn into the exact same thing that the Wolves forum has become.

Moron fans of other teams coming in demanding the Twins trade Santana because he's going to leave anyways.

Switch Twins for Wolves and Santana for Garnett...

Santana has said that if an extension is done soon, it would be in Sota's benefit, and thus would likely give the Twins a hometown discount.

We're 3 years away from a new stadium, thus a TON more money for the Twins to spend. They get virtually nothing from the Metrodome compared to what they'd get in their own stadium.

Span will replace Hunter next year, thus saving the Twins a ton of money. Silva probably won't make it through the year, thus again they'll have money to spend.

Yeah the Twins are going to have to pay Johan, but it's not like it's a matter of this is his last year and they HAVE to trade him. They'll have additional income, drop some big contracts, and their other young kids are signed to long term deals for the most part.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
kg2005
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by kg2005 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 11:32 pm

I don't understand where you're coming from with the Silva thing.
john2jer
RealGM

Post#27 » by john2jer » Thu Apr 5, 2007 12:35 am

kg2005 wrote:I don't understand where you're coming from with the Silva thing.

Me? I believe he's on a one year 4.3mil dollar deal. Unless he seriously becomes superman this year, he won't be back next year, thus that's 4.3mil we won't be wasting.

Our rotation next year is going to pretty much based around...

Santana
Garza
Liriano
Bonser
Perkins/Slowey/Baker

Even if Liriano doesn't come back 100% as a starter and is moved to the bullpen, we have options in Perkins/Slowey/Baker to take his spot in the rotation. Obviously we'd prefer Liriano, but it's pretty much 99.9% set in stone that this is Silva's last year in Minnesota.

Hopefully I explained myself better.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
kg2005
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by kg2005 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 12:40 am

Ok, that does make a little more sense. I thought you were trying to say we could just dump his salary.
nc21tarheels
Head Coach

Post#29 » by nc21tarheels » Thu Apr 5, 2007 1:00 am

Worm Guts wrote:Trading Santana is a decision we have to make at the trading deadline next season. If the Twins are in contention they have to keep him, if they aren't in contention then they have to trade him. The only thing to worry about until then is trying to get him signed to an extension.

That's the same boat that Atlanta is in with Andruw. He's making 13mil right now. He's getting ready to cash in BIG TIME and if ATL wants to keep him, we'll have to hope for a discount, otherwise, if we're out of contention, we gotta deal him. That makes me sad :(
Here's My Tribute to KG...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9879863077
Gone.....but NEVER forgotten!
kg2005
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by kg2005 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 1:06 am

I've heard that Jones isn't willing to give Atlanta a discount this time. Any truth to that?
john2jer
RealGM

Post#31 » by john2jer » Thu Apr 5, 2007 1:28 am

kg2005 wrote:Ok, that does make a little more sense. I thought you were trying to say we could just dump his salary.

To dive further into it, looking back at the rotation I posted earlier, Santana's really the only one being paid. Ortiz this year I believe is making 3.5, Silva's at 4.3, while the 4 guys other than Santana in NEXT YEAR'S staff would be on considerably smaller deals.
kg2005
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by kg2005 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:16 am

Liriano, Garza, Slowey, Perkins, Bonser... none up for arbitration yet. That's not what I'm worried about though, it's Morneau and Cuddyer I'm worried about.
horaceworthy
Head Coach

Post#33 » by horaceworthy » Thu Apr 5, 2007 5:29 am

I'm much more worried about Morneau than Cuddyer. He'll be able to command more money, and his production would be harder to replace. The departure that will likely hurt the most though is Hunter. Span's a good outfielder(but no Torii) with excellent speed, but he's lacking in the power and on base departments. He'll need a breakout year this year to give me much optimism about him. I am intrigued by Joe Benson, but he's a ways away from being ready.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
kg2005
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by kg2005 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 5:47 am

Span is by no means a franchise center fielder. He's been called Torii's replacement for years now, but he's definitely been over-hyped. We're on the same page with Benson though.
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#35 » by TheFranchise21 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 7:19 am

horaceworthy wrote:Especially when Boof/Slowey/Perkins/Baker/one of our lower tier prospects who may be ready(Swarzak/Rainville/Pino/Sosa, etc.) are either manning down the last two spots in the rotation, helping in the bullpen or being used to bring in another bat. My main worry is that Liriano won't really get back to normal until 2009.

That Boston deal is a pretty fair one though, as far as deals for someone who should be going for his 4th straight Cy Young at the age of 28 go.

If you're talking about Johan, he's won 2 of the past 3, not the past 3.
maseda17
Senior
And1: 1

Post#36 » by maseda17 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:37 pm

john2jer wrote:Moron fans of other teams coming in demanding the Twins trade Santana because he's going to leave anyways.

What are you even talking about? I am a moron fan for coming here and mentioning an extremely fair trade offer after Twins fans on this board talking about the difficulty they might have in resigning him. Seems everyone thinks it is a respectable offer. Obviously you would prefer to resign Santana I just wanted to throw an offer out there that was extremely reasonable in a situation where resigning him might not being a realistic option. I understand the sensitivity in potentially losing your best player but to claim I am a moron is ridiculous especially since I did not DEMAND the Twins trade him. Calm down.
kg2005
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by kg2005 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:53 pm

TheFranchise21 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

He says he SHOULD have won that other one.
horaceworthy
Head Coach

Post#38 » by horaceworthy » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:24 pm

TheFranchise21 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Like kg2005 said, I meant he should have won in 2005, since he was still the best pitcher in the AL. He lost the ERA title to Millwood-by .01-, was the league leader in K's and WHIP, 2nd in IP-by 5 innings-, and generally outclassed the winner, Bartolo Colon, in every category except for wins, which is a statistic that needs to be taken with a large grain of salt. Apologies if I wasn't more clear with my original statement.
nc21tarheels
Head Coach

Post#39 » by nc21tarheels » Thu Apr 5, 2007 7:09 pm

kg2005 wrote:I've heard that Jones isn't willing to give Atlanta a discount this time. Any truth to that?

It's rumored that his agent was VERY pissed at him when he said he'd take less last time. I'm not sure but if the braves don't make a big push this year, then he'll see the team as going nowhere. Thus, making him want to max out. He'll get paid BIG time this year. IMO, he's a LOT better then soriano and look what soriano got.
Here's My Tribute to KG...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9879863077

Gone.....but NEVER forgotten!
john2jer
RealGM

Post#40 » by john2jer » Thu Apr 5, 2007 7:28 pm

maseda17 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

What are you even talking about? I am a moron fan for coming here and mentioning an extremely fair trade offer after Twins fans on this board talking about the difficulty they might have in resigning him. Seems everyone thinks it is a respectable offer. Obviously you would prefer to resign Santana I just wanted to throw an offer out there that was extremely reasonable in a situation where resigning him might not being a realistic option. I understand the sensitivity in potentially losing your best player but to claim I am a moron is ridiculous especially since I did not DEMAND the Twins trade him. Calm down.

Since you claimed to not have demanded a trade, my comment obviously wasn't for you. But I think your post is a taste of what will become the norm over the next year or so. Read, comprehend, then react. Calm down? lol

Eventually the short bus will be making a stop on this forum as well.

Return to Minnesota Twins