Final Dress Rehearsal, Preseason Week 3 49ers @ Texans

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Re: Final Dress Rehearsal, Preseason Week 3 49ers @ Texans 

Post#61 » by Samurai » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:05 pm

wco81 wrote:
Samurai wrote:My prediction - Niners will struggle over the first half of the season. By midyear, Lance will start to get the hang of things and look sharper. Niners play much better over the second half but have too much ground to make up by playing in such a strong division. But the strong finish will give fans more hope for the following season.

Is anything less than a playoff berth acceptaBle?

Some people believe this is the best roster in the league, one of tHe few which supposedly can dominate both lines of scrimmage.

I’ve not watched any preseason games or followed training camp.

Last season they had high expectations before the season, played poorly in the first half dozen games, then finished well thouGh tHe offense struggled badly.

Got this season and next, maybe also season after next, to contend before big contracts to Bosa and Trey limit roster depth.

Unless they hit big In the next couple of drafts, but who expects that given this regime’s drafting record.

My guess is that "some people" haven't watched this team so far and haven't witnessed the inconsistent poor blocking in the middle of the line. They haven't seen Banks struggle at LG, Brendel appear average at best, Burford shows some promise but is still a rookie and has made plenty of rookie mistakes, or that McGlinchey is still trying to recover from his injury and hasn't demonstrated that he will be the same player post injury. And even at his best, McGlinchey was not a Pro Bowl tackle. My guess is that those same "some people" don't believe a decent offensive line is important to a team's success; my opinion just differs from "some people".
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,243

Post#62 » by thesack12 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:30 pm

With Seattle looking to be among the worst teams in the league, the NFC west is not as tough as it has been in the last several years.

If the 49ers miss the playoffs, whether it be attributed to shoddy O-line play, another biblical wave of injuries a la 2020, QB play not up to snuff, the defense under-performing, some other factor, or a combo of any of these; Its going to be a failure of a season.

This team is coming off narrowly missing another Super Bowl berth, and they didn't lose a ton of talent. No matter what transpires, if they miss the playoffs it will definitely be a failure. If that happens, we'll point the finger of blame wherever it should go.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#63 » by Jikkle » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:34 pm

Samurai wrote:
wco81 wrote:
Samurai wrote:My prediction - Niners will struggle over the first half of the season. By midyear, Lance will start to get the hang of things and look sharper. Niners play much better over the second half but have too much ground to make up by playing in such a strong division. But the strong finish will give fans more hope for the following season.

Is anything less than a playoff berth acceptaBle?

Some people believe this is the best roster in the league, one of tHe few which supposedly can dominate both lines of scrimmage.

I’ve not watched any preseason games or followed training camp.

Last season they had high expectations before the season, played poorly in the first half dozen games, then finished well thouGh tHe offense struggled badly.

Got this season and next, maybe also season after next, to contend before big contracts to Bosa and Trey limit roster depth.

Unless they hit big In the next couple of drafts, but who expects that given this regime’s drafting record.

My guess is that "some people" haven't watched this team so far and haven't witnessed the inconsistent poor blocking in the middle of the line. They haven't seen Banks struggle at LG, Brendel appear average at best, Burford shows some promise but is still a rookie and has made plenty of rookie mistakes, or that McGlinchey is still trying to recover from his injury and hasn't demonstrated that he will be the same player post injury. And even at his best, McGlinchey was not a Pro Bowl tackle. My guess is that those same "some people" don't believe a decent offensive line is important to a team's success; my opinion just differs from "some people".

Even with the shoddy offensive line it's still top to bottom one of the best rosters in the league.

Every team has weakness and holes in the roster and offensive line play in general isn't all that great league-wide anyways.

However the offensive line still is a major weakness and if the season is derailed by anything that isn't injuries it'll almost certainly be because of the offensive line.

I do feel the offense will struggle a bit early in the season before it gets it's feet under them because you just have so much inexperience with QB and the line but I'm optimistic it will get better and better as the season wanes on.

I think game-planning will be a big help for the offense in general because the offense does rely a lot on Shanahan's ability to create favorable matchups with his plays and playcalling.

Still it's a lot of inexperience so there will be growing pains for sure but I do like the flashes I've seen so it does give me hope.

Return to San Francisco 49ers