ImageImageImageImageImage

2023 Season

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Re: 2023 Season 

Post#61 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Oct 7, 2023 1:29 pm

Jikkle wrote:It's hard to find anything to not like about the move as the only real cost is a negligible amount of draft spots that is highly unlikely to cost us the opportunity to draft a player of any worth.

As long as he's not worse than Hyder you really don't lose with the move and the payoff can be tremendous.

The move doesn't prevent another bigger move like for CB or make it difficult for them to resign Aiyuk. Can you imagine how huge it would be if this move works out and they swing a move for a solid rental CB that could really take the defense to the next level.

I'm assuming Hyder will go to the PS and be active this week, anyway, so you're not even losing his production in the short term.

It's frustrating that Darrell Luter got hurt. He was a guy I thought could challenge Ambry Thomas for a backup role on the outside. Haven't heard any news on him lately whatsoever, but in a perfect world, maybe he could come back and compete later in the season. And Womack should also be back at some point, and would be a marked improvement over Thomas.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,342

Post#62 » by wco81 » Sat Oct 7, 2023 4:18 pm

Gregory signed a 5-year 70 million contract with $28 million guaranteed in March 2022 when he was already over 29 years old and had 16.5 TDs with Dallas at that point.

Strange contract but I guess it's a good thing the 49ers are only on the hook for a minimum salary portion this season.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Post#63 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Oct 7, 2023 5:51 pm

I was just looking at Arik Armstead's contract details after his restructure. Don't ask me why. It's a mess. So confused as to why we did it. We owe him $15.5 million the year after his contract ends. Just pure dead money. $5.5 million in dead money the following two years. And $3 million in dead money the year after that. Why would we do that? Very much a win-now move, and if we don't, it's going to be a weight around our necks as we try to win in the future.

I figured the writing was on the wall with the Hargrave signing and Armstead's contract numbers next year that he would be a cap casualty in the offseason. Instead, we did this absolutely bizarre restructure. I think Armstead has gotten a bad rap at times, and has been a really good (though not great) player and a great teammate. But sending $30 million of dead money his way seems like a mistake.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#64 » by arich35 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:00 am

Aaron Banks has a mild should strain, he is day to day
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#65 » by Jikkle » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:16 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:I was just looking at Arik Armstead's contract details after his restructure. Don't ask me why. It's a mess. So confused as to why we did it. We owe him $15.5 million the year after his contract ends. Just pure dead money. $5.5 million in dead money the following two years. And $3 million in dead money the year after that. Why would we do that? Very much a win-now move, and if we don't, it's going to be a weight around our necks as we try to win in the future.

I figured the writing was on the wall with the Hargrave signing and Armstead's contract numbers next year that he would be a cap casualty in the offseason. Instead, we did this absolutely bizarre restructure. I think Armstead has gotten a bad rap at times, and has been a really good (though not great) player and a great teammate. But sending $30 million of dead money his way seems like a mistake.

It's a win-now move yes and no but from watching the Saints year after year be way over the salary cap and keep guys without losing anyone significant I've learned that you can keep kicking that can down the road for a while and eventually when you max out your window you can just plan for a down season to reload, clear the books, and gear up for another window.

It's basically what the Rams are doing this year. They maxed out their window so they are taking a step back to get healthier with their salary cap and draft capital while getting the roster younger. They have $75 million in dead money this season but 2024 they basically have a clear cap to work with and all their draft picks. So they are primed to position themselves for another SB window depending on obviously how they use those resources.

That's kinda what I see the 9ers doing right now in that they'll max out this window for a few seasons and when guys are starting to slip out of their primes they'll start to cut them lose and keep a couple core members of the team like Purdy, Bosa, and etc.

Considering they didn't need to restructure Armstead I can't imagine they did it without some plan in mind.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#66 » by Jikkle » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:23 am

I know Dallas was supposed to be the "tell us about the team" game but I think the Browns game is that game.

How they play coming off a big win Sunday to go on the road to play a 10am game against a team coming off a bye who has a pretty good defense will tell me a lot about this team.

I'm not saying they need to run up the score and win 35-13 but they better be focused and not look like they are sleepwalking or going through the motions.

One of the biggest gripes I've had with the Shanahan-era 9ers is they've never had that killer instinct and crispness that you'd like to see from a team that's supposed to be a Super Bowl contender. They kinda had it in 2019 but haven't shown anything close to it since till today. It's the one thing that's impressed me so far with this team is that they seemed laser-focused on both sides of the ball and they haven't played down to their opponents or let them hang around but have been pedal to the metal from start to finish.

Doesn't mean I don't expect them to lose because the reality is you're going to have a couple of bad games a season, players play bad, or the opposing coaches just win the chess match that day. I mean there is a reason we've had one true undefeated team and one that was really close in all the years in the league.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#67 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:12 pm

Jikkle wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:I was just looking at Arik Armstead's contract details after his restructure. Don't ask me why. It's a mess. So confused as to why we did it. We owe him $15.5 million the year after his contract ends. Just pure dead money. $5.5 million in dead money the following two years. And $3 million in dead money the year after that. Why would we do that? Very much a win-now move, and if we don't, it's going to be a weight around our necks as we try to win in the future.

It's a win-now move yes and no but from watching the Saints year after year be way over the salary cap and keep guys without losing anyone significant I've learned that you can keep kicking that can down the road for a while and eventually when you max out your window you can just plan for a down season to reload, clear the books, and gear up for another window.

It's basically what the Rams are doing this year. They maxed out their window so they are taking a step back to get healthier with their salary cap and draft capital while getting the roster younger. They have $75 million in dead money this season but 2024 they basically have a clear cap to work with and all their draft picks. So they are primed to position themselves for another SB window depending on obviously how they use those resources.

That's kinda what I see the 9ers doing right now in that they'll max out this window for a few seasons and when guys are starting to slip out of their primes they'll start to cut them lose and keep a couple core members of the team like Purdy, Bosa, and etc.

Considering they didn't need to restructure Armstead I can't imagine they did it without some plan in mind.

Stafford is going to be a question mark at his age. I think he has a huge cap hit coming up.
arich35
General Manager

Post#68 » by arich35 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:38 pm

I might be one of the only ones here but I blindy trust the front office with the money situation. Cap is going to keep going up and up every year and we can keep restructuring guys. We will probably have to lose some guys but that is just football, no team can keep all their guys year after year. Lynch and Shanahan have been pretty damn good at reloading talent through the draft and we have pretty much all of our picks this coming year.

I could see us parting ways with Deebo and Armstead if needed. Warner, Greenlaw, Purdy, Aiyuk, Kittle, CMC, Hufanga & Bosa should be the priority guys IMO. Trent will be gone if we win a Super Bowl IMO or has one maybe two more years. We have shown we can keep the Oline pretty consistent so far, corners are my big concern. I feel like we can keep reloading the DL through draft and free agency
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,342

Post#69 » by wco81 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:32 pm

Jikkle wrote:I know Dallas was supposed to be the "tell us about the team" game but I think the Browns game is that game.

Yeah some pundits are saying that the Browns have the best defense and that Garrett is the best defensive player.

Implying that the 49ers and Bosa are not.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#70 » by Samurai » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:16 pm

wco81 wrote:
Jikkle wrote:I know Dallas was supposed to be the "tell us about the team" game but I think the Browns game is that game.

Yeah some pundits are saying that the Browns have the best defense and that Garrett is the best defensive player.

In terms of yards allowed, the Browns are far and away first in defense, allowing 196.8/game. The Ravens are second (266.4) and the Niners just a hair behind them in third. Cowboys are fifth. The Browns, not the Cowboys, will likely be the stingiest defense we have faced so far this season. That, and playing on the road in the eastern time zone, means our offense will need to be hitting on all cylinders. Won't be surprised if our string of 30+ points/game gets broken and frankly couldn't care less as long as we come away with the win.
arich35
General Manager

Post#71 » by arich35 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:52 am

Samurai wrote:
wco81 wrote:

In terms of yards allowed, the Browns are far and away first in defense, allowing 196.8/game. The Ravens are second (266.4) and the Niners just a hair behind them in third. Cowboys are fifth. The Browns, not the Cowboys, will likely be the stingiest defense we have faced so far this season. That, and playing on the road in the eastern time zone, means our offense will need to be hitting on all cylinders. Won't be surprised if our string of 30+ points/game gets broken and frankly couldn't care less as long as we come away with the win.

Browns have played some of the worst offenses in the league so far.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#72 » by Jikkle » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:46 am

Looking at PFF's lowest rank defensive players for Sunday both Drake and Ferrell made the bottom 3 so that Gregory trade might end up being a huge add even if he doesn't set the world on fire.

I still think this is the season to go all in and I hope the team is aggressive in trading for a DB and I wouldn't be opposed to adding another pass rusher like Hunter from the Vikings. Not suggesting they sell the farm or anything but I wouldn't be shy on a slight overpay to shore up some weak areas of the team. Naturally I would love if they could add offensive line but that's just something you never see on the market.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#73 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:36 pm

Jikkle wrote:Looking at PFF's lowest rank defensive players for Sunday both Drake and Ferrell made the bottom 3 so that Gregory trade might end up being a huge add even if he doesn't set the world on fire.

I still think this is the season to go all in and I hope the team is aggressive in trading for a DB and I wouldn't be opposed to adding another pass rusher like Hunter from the Vikings. Not suggesting they sell the farm or anything but I wouldn't be shy on a slight overpay to shore up some weak areas of the team. Naturally I would love if they could add offensive line but that's just something you never see on the market.

Drake Jackson had a good first week and then kinda fell off the map. Concerned this might be another first round pick that does not work out. Ferrell was a stretch to become a good pass rusher. Hopefully Gregory provides something.
arich35
General Manager

Post#74 » by arich35 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:21 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Jikkle wrote:Looking at PFF's lowest rank defensive players for Sunday both Drake and Ferrell made the bottom 3 so that Gregory trade might end up being a huge add even if he doesn't set the world on fire.

Drake Jackson had a good first week and then kinda fell off the map. Concerned this might be another first round pick that does not work out. Ferrell was a stretch to become a good pass rusher. Hopefully Gregory provides something.

He was a 2nd round pick, he is still young
Samurai
General Manager

Post#75 » by Samurai » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:54 pm

Deshaun Watson hasn't practiced yet this week, which makes him at least questionable to play Sunday. Obviously our chances of winning increase significantly if he is out.

Also Aaron Banks returned to practice, so that's also good news. Elijah Mitchell didn't practice again, but Mason showed that he should be fine as a tag-team partner for CMC.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,743

Post#76 » by CharityStripe34 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:11 pm

This may have sneaky trap game elements this Sunday. Luckily the Niners physical run game travels.

Sent from my LM-K500 using RealGM mobile app
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
Samurai
General Manager

Post#77 » by Samurai » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:00 am

CharityStripe34 wrote:This may have sneaky trap game elements this Sunday. Luckily the Niners physical run game travels.

Sent from my LM-K500 using RealGM mobile app

Myles Garrett is a legit stud. But after dealing with TJ Watt in week one, it seems that our O-line has come up with the right scheme to neutralize stud rushers such as Aaron Donald and Micah Parsons. Not sure our O-line is elite (outside of Trent) in terms of individual talent, but our coaching staff seems to have put together a strategy in which the sum of the parts is better than the individual pieces. While the Cowboys were clearly intent on selling out to stop CMC, the line opened up some nice holes for Mason and I don't think Parsons ever laid a hand on Purdy all night. Very impressive that if you take one weapon away, even one as impactful as CMC, you will be exposed in other areas.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,252

Post#78 » by thesack12 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:43 am

Rumors circulating that Denver might tear it down before the trade deadline. Surprisingly there is chatter that Patrick Surtain might even be available.

Surtain is a legit elite corner, and would transform this defense. However, this regime has historically shown that they aren't all that interested in investing at CB. So they would have to buck that trend to become a player for Surtain's services.

Then the cost factor is the biggest key to the potential equation. I doubt something like '24 1st, '24 3rd, '25 3rd would get it done. The conversation would likely have to start with '24 1st & '25 1st, especially since those picks are likely to be very late 1st rounders.

So its probably not in the cards to make a move for Surtain, but man would he be an incredible addition and look amazing in a 9er uniform.

I hope they do make some kind of a move to bring in some help at CB. Its easily the weakest position group on the team.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#79 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:57 pm

arich35 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

He was a 2nd round pick, he is still young

Yes, he still young but expect to see more from that position during a second season. I usually don't see outside pass rushers ever doing much if they haven't shown anything after a couple of seasons.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#80 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:00 pm

thesack12 wrote:Rumors circulating that Denver might tear it down before the trade deadline. Surprisingly there is chatter that Patrick Surtain might even be available.

Surtain is a legit elite corner, and would transform this defense. However, this regime has historically shown that they aren't all that interested in investing at CB. So they would have to buck that trend to become a player for Surtain's services.

Then the cost factor is the biggest key to the potential equation. I doubt something like '24 1st, '24 3rd, '25 3rd would get it done. The conversation would likely have to start with '24 1st & '25 1st, especially since those picks are likely to be very late 1st rounders.

So its probably not in the cards to make a move for Surtain, but man would he be an incredible addition and look amazing in a 9er uniform.

I hope they do make some kind of a move to bring in some help at CB. Its easily the weakest position group on the team.

I read they are dumping Frank Clark, not that I would ever want him in a 49er uniform

Return to San Francisco 49ers