ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 49ers offseason

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Re: 2021 49ers offseason 

Post#621 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:33 pm

Well this is new (I think). You can watch training camp live. I'll try to paste it below, but not sure how that works for one of these live streams. (Didn't work. Link below.)

CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#622 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:34 pm

Okay, that's not working, either. Go to youtube and paste this in after the /

watch?v=56NJg09NPzs
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#623 » by wco81 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:38 pm

Whatever happened to the rookie wage scale?

That QB from Oklahoma got about $40 million and they decided to impose a rookie wage scale.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#624 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:50 pm

It still exists, but salaries have increased pretty dramatically since then.

The contract is another reason that it was very arguably a mistake to trade up to three for Lance. Fields will make $15 million less over four years. So you're looking at arguably two additional first-round picks and almost $4 million a year to take Lance over Fields - and that assumes, without stellar reason, that Lance wouldn't also have been available at 11.

I am, of course, pulling for Lance and I hope he makes us all forget about the trade up to get him - or at least not have any qualms with it. But he's going to have to noticeably outperform Fields to do so IMO.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#625 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:54 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Well this is new (I think). You can watch training camp live. I'll try to paste it below, but not sure how that works for one of these live streams. (Didn't work. Link below.)

And it's over. Ha! Nothing all that remarkable that I caught, though I just kind of had it on in the background while sending emails, etc. Only really noteworthy thing I caught was that Hurd was out there doing position drills with the WRs, or at least the warm-up running.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#626 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:44 pm

Ford and Bosa both passed their physicals and will be participating (Maiocco has some video of Bosa hitting the sled up on Twitter, I think; could be Barrows). It would be absolutely huge - and a pleasant surprise - if we can get some legit contributions from Ford and Hurd. I had basically chalked those guys up as wasted roster spots.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#627 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:40 pm

Live stream is back up on YouTube, but I don't expect it to last long.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#628 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:54 pm

A few thoughts, though again, I just kind of have it on in the background while I'm doing work and most of these are just observations about how guys look physically.

Arden Key is skinny. He looks more like a tall WR than a DE. Ford looks thick next to him. And his calves and butt almost seem flabby (sorry if that's TMI; there was a segment where they basically just zoomed in on him from behind for 10 seconds).

And Warner looks big. He dwarfs Greenlaw when they're standing next to each other.

McGlinchey looks noticeably bigger. Seems to be sporting a bit of a belly, which I view as a good thing. I actually had trouble spotting him because he doesn't look nearly as lanky.

That's about it for today. Not much focus on the skill players, other than a couple warm-up passes by the QBs at the start.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#629 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:13 pm

WRs doing drills:

Hurd looks like he's slimmed down, for better or worse. Struck by Kevin White's (84) AWFUL footwork on that first drill.

Kind of fun to see Welker demonstrating some of the footwork.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#630 » by Jikkle » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:48 am

My random musings so far on the news coming out of TC so far.

Glad to hear Bosa is leaner as I think he'll be better off in the long run being a bit leaner rather than a mass of pure muscle.

McGlinchey being bigger doesn't surprise me but still glad to see it confirmed. My guess is he got too skinny last season in an effort to give him more moblity since he's asked to pull and get to the second level a lot but he just lost too much bulk and strength. I didn't take a lot of film study watching DEs put him on roller skates all the time to figure out he needed to add more muscle mass.

Ford good to see him healthy but just don't care until he puts the pads on and plays. The guy has never had a lack of effort when it comes to staying in shape and trying to play it's just his body doesn't let him. Hopefully the 9ers won't practice him, in games put him in on 3rd downs maybe some 2nd downs, and manage his playtime as carefully as possible. We don't need Ford to stop the run on 1st down we need him to get the defense off the field on 3rd so I'm perfectly fine if he's a part-time player if he's a beast as a pass rusher.

Kinlaw is becoming concerning and I hope that the knees aren't ongoing issues because I feel him and McGlinchey could end up being the most improved players on the team. Just glad the front office started to focus more on guys with a clean bill of health this past draft instead of drafted talented but injury prone guys.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#631 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Aug 3, 2021 9:55 pm

Hurd and Ford both on the field for full-team work. It would be pretty big if these two can actually contribute this year, even if they're role/rotation players.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,252

Post#632 » by thesack12 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:40 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Hurd and Ford both on the field for full-team work. It would be pretty big if these two can actually contribute this year, even if they're role/rotation players.

Word!

At this point, any production out of either of those two dudes is a bonus. Hell, even they can get on the field for a live snap with Ford attracting a block and Hurd attracting coverage from a DB, even those would be wins.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#633 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:38 pm

Niners waived Rosen. That's going to break Grant Cohn's heart. Dude has had some opportunities, and just hasn't been able to do anything with them. He's had some tough breaks, bouncing between defective organizations and/or going places only to see the teams add young QBs who have jumped ahead of him. Still, he had a real shot to win a backup position here, and just blew it.

It's too bad. I was hoping Shanahan could help him turn things around and maybe even turn him into a trade chip at some point - or at least a good backup. Not crazy about the thought of Nate Sudfeld ever starting a game, so hopefully we actually address the backup position with someone competent once Jimmy departs.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#634 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:21 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#635 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:23 pm

Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#636 » by Jikkle » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:33 am

The amount of INTs Jimmy G is throwing in camp is a concern and Lance might start by virture of likely turning the ball over less.

I'm usually less prone to care about camp INTs because it's practice and that's usually where you try riskier throws along with the fact that the amount of reps you're taking will lead to more INTs in general.

In Jimmy G's case though he's throwing the same type of INTs that he does in games. I mean Fred Warner is probably one of Jimmy's leading receivers in camp and we know Jimmy is prone to simply not see LBs and throw perfect passes to them in games.

I've read that Jimmy's INT rate in camp is 3.8 whereas Lance is 1.4 and really that number should be flipped as Jimmy is the experienced vet with multiple years in the system and Lance is the inexperienced rookie.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#637 » by thesack12 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:59 pm

Of course its pre-season, so its far from a sure thing. But from what we've seen, Sherfield looks like he could be a usable WR for this team.

Some of that could on Lance making him look good, some of that could be Shanny scheming him well. That said, Trent seems to be getting open pretty frequently. Which is more than I can say for the huge pile of unwantedness consisting of James, Cracraft, Taylor, White, etc. And its looking more and more likely, that we will never see Jalen Hurd suit up for a regular season game.

Apparently Jennings has been having a good camp as well. Hopefully between Sherfield and Jennings platoon, 9ers can find some semblance of a halfway passable WR3.

WR is a big concern for this team, but that's nothing new. We've known that for a long while now. Both Deebo and Aiyuk are injury prone, and if either of them go down it will get ugly.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#638 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:12 pm

thesack12 wrote:Of course its pre-season, so its far from a sure thing. But from what we've seen, Sherfield looks like he could be a usable WR for this team.

Some of that could on Lance making him look good, some of that could be Shanny scheming him well. That said, Trent seems to be getting open pretty frequently. Which is more than I can say for the huge pile of unwantedness consisting of James, Cracraft, Taylor, White, etc. And its looking more and more likely, that we will never see Jalen Hurd suit up for a regular season game.

Apparently Jennings has been having a good camp as well. Hopefully between Sherfield and Jennings platoon, 9ers can find some semblance of a halfway passable WR3.

WR is a big concern for this team, but that's nothing new. We've known that for a long while now. Both Deebo and Aiyuk are injury prone, and if either of them go down it will get ugly.

The Hurd pick will never not make me crazy, unless he somehow reverses the entire trajectory of his career to date. We took that dude over Terry McLaurin, who I was screaming for at that point (to be completely fair, I didn't really want another WR, but he was my guy if we went with that position, and prior to the draft I endorsed passing on WR in the second and taking McLaurin in the third). We should have come out of that draft with Bosa, AJ Brown, and McLaurin. Would have been one of the great drafts....
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#639 » by wco81 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:22 pm

Hurd better have some other career options lined up.

Doubt he's going to be extended at this point unless he breaks out to Pro Bowl level.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#640 » by thesack12 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:18 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:Of course its pre-season, so its far from a sure thing. But from what we've seen, Sherfield looks like he could be a usable WR for this team.

The Hurd pick will never not make me crazy, unless he somehow reverses the entire trajectory of his career to date. We took that dude over Terry McLaurin, who I was screaming for at that point (to be completely fair, I didn't really want another WR, but he was my guy if we went with that position, and prior to the draft I endorsed passing on WR in the second and taking McLaurin in the third). We should have come out of that draft with Bosa, AJ Brown, and McLaurin. Would have been one of the great drafts....

Yes, its incredily frustrating.

Hurd has a unique skillset, and I don't doubt that Shanny could scheme Jalen to where he could be a very effective player. There also have been a huge hole in the WR corps for the last handful of years, that Hurd could/should have been able to plug. But like with most things, it comes down to availability. Short of that 2 TD preseason game in his rookie year, Hurd just hasn't been able to give the 9ers anything. Dude just can't get right physically.

Some of that needs to fall at the feet of the team brass. Hurd had durability concerns in college, and he's done nothing but confirm that he is not reliable. They say the best ability, is availability. Well, Jalen just hasn't been available, like ever.

At this point, I expect he won't ever play a snap for the 49ers. Anything more than that, I will consider a bonus.

Return to San Francisco 49ers