ImageImageImageImageImage

Russell Wilson Traded to Denver

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Russell Wilson Traded to Denver 

Post#1 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Mar 8, 2022 6:57 pm

According to Adam Schefter, the Seahawks are trading QB Russell Wilson to the Broncos. Blockbuster: After weeks of negotiations, in one of the largest trades in NFL history, the Seattle Seahawks and Denver Broncos have agreed to terms for a deal involving Super-Bowl winning QB Russell Wilson, sources tell ESPN.11 mins ago

If true, this is a big deal in the balance of power in the NFCW
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Re: Russell Wilson Traded to Denver 

Post#2 » by GS Warriors 1 » Tue Mar 8, 2022 8:11 pm

Full deal:

Broncos get: QB Russell Wilson and 2022 4th round pick

Seahawks get: 2022 1st round pick, 2023 1st round pick, 2022 2nd round pick (DEN, not LA), 2023 2nd round pick, 2022 5th round pick,QB Drew Lock, DT Shelby Harris, and TE Noah Fant
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#3 » by arich35 » Tue Mar 8, 2022 8:18 pm

Seattle got A LOT
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Post#4 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Mar 8, 2022 8:22 pm

Awesome. They're losing a lot, too. Russ might have held them back in a couple ways, but his ability to avoid pressure and make huge plays downfield kept them in a lot of games they had no business being in. And under this FO and their style of player valuation, those first-round picks might as well be third-rounders. No doubt they'll reach for some mid-round talent.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager

Post#5 » by GS Warriors 1 » Tue Mar 8, 2022 8:29 pm

There had been rumors for a while about the friction between Wilson and Pete Carroll. Pretty amazed that ownership seemingly chose a 70+ yo HC than their star QB. I think hiring someone else, maybe notably Dan Quinn, who supposedly mentioned Wilson to every team he interviewed with, should've been the route Seattle took. If this was indeed salvageable, then that's going to be a brutal look for the organization. It's funny that I remember them putting out news about Carroll coming back during one of the Playoff games (either PHI/TB or SF/DAL?) and thinking it was odd timing. Like they wanted to sneak it in there, they already knew what this decision meant. Incredible.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Mar 8, 2022 9:09 pm

Washington made a bid for him and was rebuffed. Easily our best option for a trade partner. Let's hope we can get their second and something else. I still think their first is out of the question. Maybe a third and a conditional pick.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#7 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Mar 8, 2022 11:39 pm

GS Warriors 1 wrote:There had been rumors for a while about the friction between Wilson and Pete Carroll. Pretty amazed that ownership seemingly chose a 70+ yo HC than their star QB. I think hiring someone else, maybe notably Dan Quinn, who supposedly mentioned Wilson to every team he interviewed with, should've been the route Seattle took. If this was indeed salvageable, then that's going to be a brutal look for the organization. It's funny that I remember them putting out news about Carroll coming back during one of the Playoff games (either PHI/TB or SF/DAL?) and thinking it was odd timing. Like they wanted to sneak it in there, they already knew what this decision meant. Incredible.

Seems there were leaks coming from the RW camp over the course of last season about him being unhappy and where he would be willing to end up. RW is a total PR guy and will always come out and say the right things about wanting to stay in Seattle. I think behind the seasons RW must have been putting pressure on the team to trade him. And I can't imagine PC wanted to trade him at his age and stage of coaching career.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#8 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Mar 8, 2022 11:40 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Washington made a bid for him and was rebuffed. Easily our best option for a trade partner. Let's hope we can get their second and something else. I still think their first is out of the question. Maybe a third and a conditional pick.

I suspect RW would have vetoed that trade. Probably had to do something with it.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#9 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Mar 8, 2022 11:43 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Awesome. They're losing a lot, too. Russ might have held them back in a couple ways, but his ability to avoid pressure and make huge plays downfield kept them in a lot of games they had no business being in. And under this FO and their style of player valuation, those first-round picks might as well be third-rounders. No doubt they'll reach for some mid-round talent.

The FO is going to be under the gun to make those picks count. The Rams got a boat load of picks for Eric Dickerson back in the day and whiffed on most of them. The Rams ended up in the toilet afterwards. The Cowboys got a haul of picks for Herschel Walker and built a super bowl winner with them.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager

Post#10 » by GS Warriors 1 » Wed Mar 9, 2022 8:15 am

Also, came out earlier tonight that Philadelphia put in an offer last week and were declined by Wilson. Have to think Hurts was part of that deal, definitely would've been a better deal for Seattle, but again, Wilson could control where he went. It'll never be known who was on the list, officially, but does seem like the 2nd set of rumored teams from the fall (NYG, NO, DEN) appeared to be where he gave the green light.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#11 » by Jikkle » Wed Mar 9, 2022 10:00 am

Wilson was a 9er killer so unless Seattle makes some incredible picks with that they gained it's only good news for us.

In reality because they gave up two 1st round picks for Adams they didn't gain a ton from this trade as the 1st round picks they got basically replace the ones they lost so they really only gained extra 2nd round picks and a couple of nice players but ones that aren't going to change their world or anything.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#12 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Mar 9, 2022 4:57 pm

I always thought RW being a 49er killer was overblown. He had some good games against us. But looking back, Fangio and the defense did a good job containing RW and the Seattle offense. It was Harbaugh and our inept offense that could not sustain a drive against Seattle's defense. RW had all day to get a drive going. Had we been able to perform on offense the outcome would not have been so lospided. Then during the Tomsula - Kelly period we just had a porous defense that any run of the mill QB could score against. During the Shanahan era we just had some unfortunate luck against them. Seems we always lost key personnel when we had to face them. We lost Kittle for a game when Kittle was our big offensive target. Lost Samuel when he was our biggest target. Didn't have our starting kicker twice to face them. One game RW threw what should have been a game losing pick but our replacement kicker could not make a game winning field goal. In another game, our punter had to kick field goals because of a late week injury to RG. I swear they had some kind of voodoo doll to jinx us. If anything, hopefully our bad luck with them ends with this era
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#13 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Mar 9, 2022 5:37 pm

Jikkle wrote:Wilson was a 9er killer so unless Seattle makes some incredible picks with that they gained it's only good news for us.

In reality because they gave up two 1st round picks for Adams they didn't gain a ton from this trade as the 1st round picks they got basically replace the ones they lost so they really only gained extra 2nd round picks and a couple of nice players but ones that aren't going to change their world or anything.

When they made the trade for Adams, they figured those picks would be in the 20s. They didn't anticipate Wilson getting hurt and the wheels falling off. They're getting 8 from the Broncos, but the Jets have their 9th pick, so that's basically a wash. They sent the 23rd pick in 2021 to the Jets also. Pretty good chance the Broncos will be in that range with Wilson added to the mix. So the first-round picks likely more or less cancel out. So yeah, you could almost look at it as Adams, Lock, Fant, Harris, two seconds, and a fifth for Wilson.

Now, that's still a lot of capital. Adams is an impact player, and Fant and Harris are solid starters. Two second-round picks is nothing to shake a stick at (I'd love to get just that for Jimmy), either. But to give up a top-12 QB (likely quite a bit higher when healthy) is a pretty big give, especially when you consider the rest of that roster. Their OL is still kind of a mess, with pretty easily their best player a FA and well past 30. Their defense is Adams and then a bunch of okay guys, but no one who really scares you. They're in pretty good shape at the skill positions, with two very good WRs and what should be a nice collection of TEs, though Penny is a FA and Carson has had trouble staying healthy. This team could pretty easily be bottom ten or even bottom five next year. They've got some serious work to do. And a coach who may not have many years left.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#14 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:52 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Jikkle wrote:Wilson was a 9er killer so unless Seattle makes some incredible picks with that they gained it's only good news for us.

When they made the trade for Adams, they figured those picks would be in the 20s. They didn't anticipate Wilson getting hurt and the wheels falling off. They're getting 8 from the Broncos, but the Jets have their 9th pick, so that's basically a wash. They sent the 23rd pick in 2021 to the Jets also. Pretty good chance the Broncos will be in that range with Wilson added to the mix. So the first-round picks likely more or less cancel out. So yeah, you could almost look at it as Adams, Lock, Fant, Harris, two seconds, and a fifth for Wilson.

Now, that's still a lot of capital. Adams is an impact player, and Fant and Harris are solid starters. Two second-round picks is nothing to shake a stick at (I'd love to get just that for Jimmy), either. But to give up a top-12 QB (likely quite a bit higher when healthy) is a pretty big give, especially when you consider the rest of that roster. Their OL is still kind of a mess, with pretty easily their best player a FA and well past 30. Their defense is Adams and then a bunch of okay guys, but no one who really scares you. They're in pretty good shape at the skill positions, with two very good WRs and what should be a nice collection of TEs, though Penny is a FA and Carson has had trouble staying healthy. This team could pretty easily be bottom ten or even bottom five next year. They've got some serious work to do. And a coach who may not have many years left.

Adams might have been one of the biggest head scratcher moves they have made in recent years. They have made quite a few questionable moves since their super bowl. Truly the end of an era. I read that Wilson and Wagner were the last two remaining players on the roster from the 2012 team and they essentially exited the organization on the same day.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,253

Post#15 » by thesack12 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:13 pm

Its nice to see some juice leave a NFC west rival.

This division has been/is absolutely brutal. Seattle seemingly entering a rebuild is a welcomed development. Not to mention 9ers won't have to play that escape artist of a QB 2 times a year any more.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,513

Post#16 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:23 am

thesack12 wrote:Its nice to see some juice leave a NFC west rival.

This division has been/is absolutely brutal. Seattle seemingly entering a rebuild is a welcomed development. Not to mention 9ers won't have to play that escape artist of a QB 2 times a year any more.

Rumor is they have their eye on Malik Willis with the 9th pick. He's much much more elusive. :wink:

If Willis ends up being the guy, then you can expect a lot more of the same "escape artist". It's pretty clear that they intend to take a QB.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#17 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:09 am

Cactus Jack wrote:

Rumor is they have their eye on Malik Willis with the 9th pick. He's much much more elusive. :wink:

If Willis ends up being the guy, then you can expect a lot more of the same "escape artist". It's pretty clear that they intend to take a QB.

Wilson isn't necessarily as elusive as some others in the league, but he's about as good as there is at staying alive in the backfield and making teams pay downfield. At least in the near future, I'm not too worried about Malik Willis matching Wilson's ability in that area, or many others.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#18 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:06 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Wilson isn't necessarily as elusive as some others in the league, but he's about as good as there is at staying alive in the backfield and making teams pay downfield. At least in the near future, I'm not too worried about Malik Willis matching Wilson's ability in that area, or many others.

It's fascinating.

Their plan seems to be to likely draft a QB. While trying to recreate what they had in Pete's early days. Pouring resources back into the defense. This is obviously when they we're most successful. I guess the Niners have taken a similar path (plan).

I love Russ. But he was never capable of carrying this team. Having watched him for the last decade, he's just not that guy. He needs a good supporting cast around him. They we're never going to recreate the Legion of Boom defense either. Especially with him still apart of the team. I think they also realized that he had peaked. He had hit his ceiling for the most part & the only way they could improve was by moving on.

Fwiw Willis does have a lot of similar traits.

When it comes to QB's, they seem to have a type. They tend to fall in love with guys that have unique skillsets.

It's no secret that they loved Josh Allen coming out. The rumor being of course that they shopped Wilson for the #1 pick back in 2018. There we're also rumors about them being very high on Mahomes (2017). He was under strong consideration had he fallen to them. In other words, they've never truly been married to Wilson.

"Seattle, from what I’m told, was going to take Josh Allen," said Patrick. "And the Browns were going to take Russell Wilson. They were going to have a trade between those two teams."

Per Patrick, the plan was OK’d by Wilson: "I know Russ was open to that. Cleveland wanted him and Seattle was ready to move on from Russell Wilson and get Josh (Allen)."

Simms and Patrick, two of the most dialed-in sources across pro football, insinuated that the deal was close to happening, though neither could say why talks ultimately cooled.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#19 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:48 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Rumor is they have their eye on Malik Willis with the 9th pick. He's much much more elusive. :wink:

It's fascinating.

Their plan seems to be to likely draft a QB. While trying to recreate what they had in Pete's early days. Pouring resources back into the defense. This is obviously when they we're most successful. I guess the Niners have taken a similar path (plan).

I love Russ. But he was never capable of carrying this team. Having watched him for the last decade, he's just not that guy. He needs a good supporting cast around him. They we're never going to recreate the Legion of Boom defense either. Especially with him still apart of the team. I think they also realized that he had peaked. He had hit his ceiling for the most part & the only way they could improve was by moving on.

Fwiw Willis does have a lot of similar traits.

When it comes to QB's, they seem to have a type. They tend to fall in love with guys that have unique skillsets.

It's no secret that they loved Josh Allen coming out. The rumor being of course that they shopped Wilson for the #1 pick back in 2018. There we're also rumors about them being very high on Mahomes (2017). He was under strong consideration had he fallen to them. In other words, they've never truly been married to Wilson.

"Seattle, from what I’m told, was going to take Josh Allen," said Patrick. "And the Browns were going to take Russell Wilson. They were going to have a trade between those two teams."

Per Patrick, the plan was OK’d by Wilson: "I know Russ was open to that. Cleveland wanted him and Seattle was ready to move on from Russell Wilson and get Josh (Allen)."

Simms and Patrick, two of the most dialed-in sources across pro football, insinuated that the deal was close to happening, though neither could say why talks ultimately cooled.

Yeah, I'm definitely not saying it's the wrong move for the Hawks. Even with Wilson, they weren't going to be making a bid for the super bowl this year regardless. Wilson complicated a rebuild both because of his age, and because he'd probably keep the team competitive enough to deprive them of a high draft position, but not truly in the mix for the championship. So it may very well be the right call for Seattle to cut bait. I'm firmly of the opinion that you should either be competing for championships or should be looking to make potentially dramatic changes to do so.

But as a Niner fan, the move signals that the Hawks won't be the immediate threat that they have been, unless they land on someone at QB who has a Wilson-like impact as a rookie. And although Wilson has his warts - I've always felt that he doesn't play particularly well in structure, and it has held the offense back; I think that's part of why the Hawks' offense has so frequently struggled early in games with him at QB, before blowing up late - there's still an extremely high likelihood that whoever they pick to replace him will not be as good. Moving on from a very good QB in his prime is always risky, and there's no doubt that Wilson is that.

We'll see. Should be interesting. And we're in a similar boat with Lance, though right now, we have quite a bit more around him.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#20 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:59 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Yeah, I'm definitely not saying it's the wrong move for the Hawks. Even with Wilson, they weren't going to be making a bid for the super bowl this year regardless. Wilson complicated a rebuild both because of his age, and because he'd probably keep the team competitive enough to deprive them of a high draft position, but not truly in the mix for the championship. So it may very well be the right call for Seattle to cut bait. I'm firmly of the opinion that you should either be competing for championships or should be looking to make potentially dramatic changes to do so.

But as a Niner fan, the move signals that the Hawks won't be the immediate threat that they have been, unless they land on someone at QB who has a Wilson-like impact as a rookie. And although Wilson has his warts - I've always felt that he doesn't play particularly well in structure, and it has held the offense back; I think that's part of why the Hawks' offense has so frequently struggled early in games with him at QB, before blowing up late - there's still an extremely high likelihood that whoever they pick to replace him will not be as good. Moving on from a very good QB in his prime is always risky, and there's no doubt that Wilson is that.

We'll see. Should be interesting. And we're in a similar boat with Lance, though right now, we have quite a bit more around him.

I think it's safe to say that they don't expect to truly compete this year. But also knowing that a reset was needed & likely coming at some point. So they had to essentially do this move. Especially when he wants to set the market (50+ million). He has two years left on his deal. He's not taking a discount.

Unless you have an elite QB (Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers), then you're not a real contender. Russ is good (top 10). But he doesn't belong in the conversation. He's also 33 & might be approaching that point when his body starts to breakdown. He's much heavier now than his first few years in the league. I think that there's also a feeling around him that he's much more concerned now with his brand.

So the next best option, is to have a QB on a rookie contract.

Return to San Francisco 49ers