ImageImageImageImageImage

Purdy-Torn UCL

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Purdy-Torn UCL 

Post#1 » by arich35 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:27 pm

Purdy does indeed have a torn UCL, early estimate is he will be back in 6 months so the start of training camp. Will get 2nd opinions before surgery.
I think the 6 months is absolute best case.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Re: Purdy-Torn UCL 

Post#2 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:43 pm

6 months would be the best case and I'm pretty sure that 6 months wouldn't include him throwing and getting his arm back into football shape.

No telling if he's going to regain all his arm strength either and given his arm is average any loss of zip on his passes could be devasting.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#3 » by Samurai » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:45 pm

According to Kyle Posey, the second opinion is to see if there is a repair option other than Tommy John surgery. If so, that option would be the best case 6-month timeline. If he does need TJ surgery, it could be closer to a quarter way into the 2023 season before he returns. According to Stephania Bell, Nick Mullens had a surgical UCL repair with internal brace; less extensive than a complete reconstruction. If Purdy needs a repair, this would make them the only NFL starting QB's to have had the procedure (and ironically both on the Niners when it happened). Mullens has only played 5 games since his injury, spending most of his time on practice squads. And who knows how Purdy's arm strength will be after the injury. Just majorly sucks any way you look at it. Trey Lance may be the only one breathing a sigh of relief.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,252

Post#4 » by thesack12 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:14 am

Awful, just absolutely brutal. Feel so bad for the kid. I'm rooting for him, and hoping for the best but man with that type of injury he might struggle to ever get another legit shot at piloting a team.

Sucks man.

From the team's perspective, its a big time blow. We were supposed to be looking at an incredibly compelling QB battle between young prospects. Instead we now enter the offseason with 0 healthy contracted QB's. This season has unequivocally proven that SF needs 2 solid/reliable QB's on the roster. Lance should be healthy and ready by the time OTA's come around, but Brock's 2022 status is looking pretty bleak. He might be on PUP for a calendar year +

Lance is absolutely in the plans, but he's not enough by himself. Niners will now have to bring in another QB for 2023. Whether that be signing Brady, resigning Garoppolo, or drafting another guy.

Man, what incredibly bad QB health luck. From what I recall there were only 5 super serious QB injuries this season leaguewide, and the 9ers were victims of 3 of those. Lance, Stafford, Garoppolo, Lamar, Purdy. I'm not counting Dak, because he only missed like 3 or 4 weeks.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#5 » by thesack12 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:18 am

Samurai wrote:According to Kyle Posey, the second opinion is to see if there is a repair option other than Tommy John surgery. If so, that option would be the best case 6-month timeline. If he does need TJ surgery, it could be closer to a quarter way into the 2023 season before he returns. According to Stephania Bell, Nick Mullens had a surgical UCL repair with internal brace; less extensive than a complete reconstruction. If Purdy needs a repair, this would make them the only NFL starting QB's to have had the procedure (and ironically both on the Niners when it happened). Mullens has only played 5 games since his injury, spending most of his time on practice squads. And who knows how Purdy's arm strength will be after the injury. Just majorly sucks any way you look at it. Trey Lance may be the only one breathing a sigh of relief.

Yeah, pretty ironic about Mullens and Purdy.

To springboard on this, apparently Mullens and Purdy are the only NFL QB's to have had that procedure as well. That's ominous.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#6 » by thesack12 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:27 am

Read on Twitter

Wow man, has there ever been another team that is even close to suffering that terrible of a run of bad luck at the most important position in sports? If so, I'd like to see it. It doesn't even list Garoppolo's ankle issues in 2020.

Really makes you wonder how much differently the legacy of the past 5 seasons would look if they had as little as below average or even bad QB injury luck. Instead they have had devastating luck.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,288

Post#7 » by clyde21 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:28 am

this is just a brutal sequence of injuries to our QBs, at some point the football gods gotta balance it out for us right? jfc.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Post#8 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:43 pm

Absolutely brutal news. The one silver lining for Niners fans is that it gives us another chance to see what Lance can do. As well as Purdy played this year, there are still very legit questions about whether he can carry a team that doesn't have as much talent as this one. Lance has more upside, but he's also got much bigger downside. We need to see what he can do this year, and this opens the door for him to show that he's grown.

If that pick was a bust, even with the remarkable season this year, I think Shanahan and Lynch need to be on thin ice. We gave up so much for the guy, and have potentially set the team up for a very rough future if we don't find some diamonds in the rough in the draft as our stars start (or continue) to age.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#9 » by Samurai » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:04 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Absolutely brutal news. The one silver lining for Niners fans is that it gives us another chance to see what Lance can do. As well as Purdy played this year, there are still very legit questions about whether he can carry a team that doesn't have as much talent as this one. Lance has more upside, but he's also got much bigger downside. We need to see what he can do this year, and this opens the door for him to show that he's grown.

If that pick was a bust, even with the remarkable season this year, I think Shanahan and Lynch need to be on thin ice. We gave up so much for the guy, and have potentially set the team up for a very rough future if we don't find some diamonds in the rough in the draft as our stars start (or continue) to age.

It could give us a chance to see what Lance can do. But it could also give us a chance to see what trade value Lance has, if any, and give us a chance to see if Brady has anything left in the tank. If Brady has enough juice to lead an otherwise championship caliber roster to the Super Bowl, it gives Purdy another year to learn from the GOAT and hopefully be QB#1 in 2024.

I think both options are viable ones for Lynch/Shanahan and I'm not sure which is best. There are very legit questions all the way around (can Lance be "that guy", how much does Brady have left and will he take a hometown discount to play for the Niners, how good will Purdy be post-surgery). I don't see a clear-cut "best" answer.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#10 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:19 pm

Purdy was a revelation this season, but it's still a stretch to assume he's the longterm answer at this point. He had the benefit of playing on probably the strongest roster in the league, and it's a roster that will steadily lose its depth over the next few years to the point that it could be pretty hollowed out. Can he excel when his team is similar to or worse than his opponent? Still open for discussion.

There's been a lot of talk about this awful QB situation. I don't see it. Going into last season, the expectation was that we'd have Lance backed up by Sudfeld. This season should be comparable, with Lance penciled in as the starter and probably some sort of experienced vet as the backup while Purdy recovers.

Lance needs an opportunity to show if he has it. There just isn't nearly enough to base any opinion on at this point. I just hope Kyle actually lets him throw it around out there and work through some growing pains. Dude is not going to improve if you never challenge him to make plays with his arm in live action.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#11 » by Jikkle » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:38 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Purdy was a revelation this season, but it's still a stretch to assume he's the longterm answer at this point. He had the benefit of playing on probably the strongest roster in the league, and it's a roster that will steadily lose its depth over the next few years to the point that it could be pretty hollowed out. Can he excel when his team is similar to or worse than his opponent? Still open for discussion.

There's been a lot of talk about this awful QB situation. I don't see it. Going into last season, the expectation was that we'd have Lance backed up by Sudfeld. This season should be comparable, with Lance penciled in as the starter and probably some sort of experienced vet as the backup while Purdy recovers.

Lance needs an opportunity to show if he has it. There just isn't nearly enough to base any opinion on at this point. I just hope Kyle actually lets him throw it around out there and work through some growing pains. Dude is not going to improve if you never challenge him to make plays with his arm in live action.

I'd say at worst Purdy is a high end backup which is valuable to have given this team's injury history.

Lance said today he'll be a full go in 3 to 4 weeks so that should have a minimal impact on his offseason work at least since to me the most vital aspect for him is being able to continue work to refine and polish his mechanics.

Kyle definitely needs to minimize the designed runs for Lance and give him the Purdy offense sprinkled in with a couple of runs. It's not even a Lance thing either as we saw this year Fields, Lamarr, Hurts, and I think even Allen miss time and get banged up. Having your QB be an RB just isn't sustainable if you want your QB to play an entire season and have a long career.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#12 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:01 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Purdy was a revelation this season, but it's still a stretch to assume he's the longterm answer at this point. He had the benefit of playing on probably the strongest roster in the league, and it's a roster that will steadily lose its depth over the next few years to the point that it could be pretty hollowed out. Can he excel when his team is similar to or worse than his opponent? Still open for discussion.

Lance has a long ways to go. it is obvious the way Shanahan played Purdy versus Lance that Shanahan did not trust Lance to throw the ball. Hopefully he is up to the task. He has a longs ways to go to prove he was worth three first round picks.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#13 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:34 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:

Lance has a long ways to go. it is obvious the way Shanahan played Purdy versus Lance that Shanahan did not trust Lance to throw the ball. Hopefully he is up to the task. He has a longs ways to go to prove he was worth three first round picks.

Yeah, I'm deeply skeptical that he can show that he has it. He's just a mess throwing the ball. But that's the guy our FO chose. They had a nails passer in Fields (who has still struggled with accuracy in the NFL) and they didn't take him, opting instead for a guy with very shaky accuracy. Well, it used to be that accuracy didn't improve much in the league, but we've recently seen guys like Allen and Hurts make huge leaps in that area. Lance needs to do the same, and Kyle needs to actually put some faith in him. As said, he's never going to be able to show anything as a passer if we don't let him pass.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,479

Post#14 » by Big J » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:30 pm

Purdy is Jimmy G part 2 anyway. Very limited. Bringing in a proven winner like Brady or Rodgers will put this team over the top.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,479

Post#15 » by Big J » Wed Feb 1, 2023 4:17 pm

Looks like Brady is out. Time to go hard for Rodgers. Unless you guys think Lance is the guy. Purdy ain’t it.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#16 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Feb 1, 2023 4:41 pm

Purdy is already better than Garoppolo in many ways. He keeps plays alive with his legs, seems to see the field better, doesn't turn the ball over nearly as much.

Problem with Rodgers is his salary. And I don't love his attitude for this team. Even with the Packers eating a big chunk of signing bonus, he'd still be due about $18 million, I think. We don't have that. We'd have to lose every FA, forego extending Bosa, and probably make some tough cuts to get that figure under the cap.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#17 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Feb 1, 2023 4:43 pm

No sources I really trust so far, but early word today is Tommy John for Purdy.

I don't get all the freaking out about our QB situation. Of course this is devastating news, but again, we're going into the season with Lance as the starter, which is the situation we were in this season. I didn't see anything through his five quarters to convince me that Lance cannot be the guy. Granted I didn't see much to convince me he is, either. We just don;t know at this point. But given what we sank into drafting him, in some ways it's good that we get another opportunity to take a look at him, while Brock can take his time recovering and we can hopefully figure out what we have in each of them before the start of next season.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#18 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Feb 1, 2023 4:56 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Purdy is already better than Garoppolo in many ways. He keeps plays alive with his legs, seems to see the field better, doesn't turn the ball over nearly as much.

Problem with Rodgers is his salary. And I don't love his attitude for this team. Even with the Packers eating a big chunk of signing bonus, he'd still be due about $18 million, I think. We don't have that. We'd have to lose every FA, forego extending Bosa, and probably make some tough cuts to get that figure under the cap.

I really don't get some of the 49er fan's fascination with Tom Brady. He looked awful against the 49ers and was outplayed by Purdy. Brady's accuracy was off. He missed badly on some routine throws. Brady has done an amazing job fighting father time especially his last super bowl year but he clearly has trended down, turned 45, and another year older he is just going to be worse. Rodgers is a better option but even still he has been chocking away playoff games and he clearly choked the last drive of this year's playoff game.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#19 » by zman1 » Wed Feb 1, 2023 5:07 pm

Yeah, we can quit the stupid Brady speculation now. He should have stayed retired last year.

Looks like Lance is the guy now. Hopefully Kyle now realizes that you cannot use your QB as another running back. It will be interesting to see what this offense can do with a qb with a strong arm that can stretch the field. That said, I would not expect us to even make the playoffs with a guy who's essentially still a rookie running the offense. That's what I expected this year.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#20 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Feb 1, 2023 5:21 pm

Team next year will not be as good. We're going to lose some good players to free agency, and we basically have no high value draft picks. If Trent retires, we're in deep doodoo (remember when we passed on Wirfs and took Kinlaw?). The core of special players will stay together, but we're going to have to find budget depth. And we face a first-place schedule, which will be difficult. Playoffs are definitely no guarantee, but this is still a good team that should be able to cover for a QB's shortcomings to an extent.

Lance is rookie-ish, but he's also ridden the pine for two years now and had a chance to really study the offense. It's not at all the same as being under center, but he should have a really great sense of protections, reading defenses (from the All-22, anyway), who should be open when, etc. If he hasn't started to grasp those things yet, we're going to be in trouble. Regardless, we need to know. We have to decide whether to pick up his fifth year at the end of this one, so we've just got to see what he can actually do on the field. And that means Kyle has to show some degree of faith in the guy he sold the farm to draft.

Return to San Francisco 49ers