Official Seahawks Draft Thread

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Official Seahawks Draft Thread 

Post#1 » by Bulltalk » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:50 am

Here's for posting any news on the coming draft. It seems like TE is at the top of the list, along with OL. Who might have a target on their backs for us?
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#2 » by Ex-hippie » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:27 pm

My draft day fantasy:

(1) we trade D-Jax for a mid-to-late 2nd round pick.

(2) with our two mid-to-late 2nd round picks, we get TE Zach Miller and OG Arron Sears. In lieu of Sears, OG Justin Blalock would also be a nice pick.

Both of those are somewhat improbable scenarios, but not impossible. Maybe the first could work out. As for the second, both Miller and Sears are going somewhere in the 40-50 range in most mock drafts I've seen, so it would be something of a "slide" if either or both is available. But it isn't that big a stretch of the imagination.

In the third round I'd like to see them grab OG Josh Beekman. Even if they've already drafted Sears, Blalock or another OG. Competition is good.

Note, the links above are to a site that I really like, though I note that the write-up on Miller is suspect inasmuch as it says Miller could be the first TE taken. That almost certainly won't happen, with Greg Olsen a likely top-15 pick. Supposedly this was last updated on 3/27, which isn't too long ago, but that prediction just seems way off.

This site also has its own mock that covers the first two rounds, and it has the Seahawks taking Blalock. I'd be fine with that. Sears and Miller are taken with the 5th and 13th picks of the second round (37th and 45th overall).
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#3 » by Billy » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:21 pm

I'm hoping pretty hard for Zach Miller for TE. Other than him I'd say the best option for the Hawks could be Joe Newton.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#4 » by Sweezo » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:24 pm

Hippie's plan is pretty much right in line with what I'd like to see the 'Hawks do, but I'm not too worried about them. I like how Ruskell drafts and if he picks a name I don't know to fill a hole, I'm fairly confident that hole will be filled.
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by Ex-hippie » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:34 pm

Question as I look further at the links for Beekman and Blalock: who gives a crap how tall an offensive guard is? I played LG in high school, started on a pretty good team, and although I happen to be relatively tall (6'3"), I don't think that was ever much of an advantage. If anything I would have liked to have lower hips for leverage.

On the one hand they say Beekman's height, 6'1", is a liability. But in the Blalock write-up they say height doesn't really matter in the interior line positions. Of course, Blalock is 6'4", and maybe they're just saying that's good enough. I'm thinking, as long as you're not a midget and you've got the mass, you should be just fine.

And if they're correct that Beekman is really a first-round talent who's being held back by only his lack of height, then I want to jump all over him in the third or even the second round.
HeavyP
Starter

Post#6 » by HeavyP » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:10 pm

Would you guys be interested in trading D-Jax to Atlanta for the 39 pick? or there other one, which is the #44 pick
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Sweezo » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:07 am

HeavyP wrote:Would you guys be interested in trading D-Jax to Atlanta for the 39 pick? or there other one, which is the #44 pick

Yes...
NateMustGo
Starter
And1: 1

Post#8 » by NateMustGo » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:45 pm

HeavyP wrote:Would you guys be interested in trading D-Jax to Atlanta for the 39 pick? or there other one, which is the #44 pick
:clap:
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by Ex-hippie » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:53 pm

All I keep hearing about is how many teams want to move down. Which makes me wonder, does it make sense to go against the grain and try to move up, if it means we have a shot at drafting someone who can really help the team? I look around the roster and don't see much need for depth, so why not package picks? What would we need to throw in with the second round pick to get a shot at Greg Olsen or Ben Grubbs or Tony Ugoh, for example?
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Sweezo » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:04 am

Apparently we're close to trading D-Jack...to San Francisco for a 4th round pick. I don't care who we draft at that spot; that's a terrible trade that's going to bite us in the ass. Who trades their #1 WR to a divisional opponent for a middling pick? Goddammit...

I'd be happier if we simply cut Jackson.
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#11 » by Billy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:27 pm

I'm hoping this is just a way to boost the interest in DJack from the Saints and Titans. If not this trade is asinine.

Not only is it for a 4th rounder, but I believe it's the 3rd worst of their 4? C'mon.

There must be more to this than we know. Not just from a "Please God let there be more to this deal coming back to Seattle" but also from a front office relationship perspective. Last year the FO massively miscalculated dealing with Hutch and now you have this?

Lets hope Seattle has something very interesting up it's sleeves. I know Seattle has enjoyed amassing picks in the past, but this isn't the right way to do it.
vegas_runnin_rebel
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by vegas_runnin_rebel » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:45 pm

I've lost all of the faith and respect that I had for Ruskell because of this travesty of a trade.

Unbelievable.

Jackson could end up being a bust for the rest of his career, we could end up drafting a future hall of famer with the 4th pick we got for him, and I'd still never forgive Ruskell for making this trade.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Sweezo » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:08 pm

If they do make the trade, it really puts the Branch trade in a new perspective. Was Branch enough of an upgrade over Jackson to merit giving up a first in exchange for a 4th? Hellllll no...
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Sweezo » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:38 pm

So the Niners drafted Willis and Staley in the first round and appear poised to add a #1 WR with a fourth round pick? Dammit...that team had a good offseason, and they very well could end up being the best team in the NFC West next year.
myELFboy
Analyst

Post#15 » by myELFboy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:30 pm

vegas_runnin_rebel wrote:I've lost all of the faith and respect that I had for Ruskell because of this travesty of a trade.

Unbelievable.

Jackson could end up being a bust for the rest of his career, we could end up drafting a future hall of famer with the 4th pick we got for him, and I'd still never forgive Ruskell for making this trade.

Ditto. We're a team without a TE (unless a guys in his late 30's gets you going) & a #1 reliable WR. Trading the only somewhat dependable one to a division rival literally makes me sick to my stomach, & makes me seething angry. F---ing ridiculous.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Sweezo » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:24 pm

myELFboy wrote:Ditto. We're a team without a TE (unless a guys in his late 30's gets you going) & a #1 reliable WR. Trading the only somewhat dependable one to a division rival literally makes me sick to my stomach, & makes me seething angry. F---ing ridiculous.

Well...I don't know that I'd consider a guy with a knack for dropping passes and missing games due to injury "reliable."
jsonic007
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by jsonic007 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:35 pm

Still, trading a near Pro Bowl level WR (when healthy) for a FORTH round pick.

Yeah, I'm pissed, too.

Well, at least they're not moving from Seattle.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Sweezo » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:36 am

I'm wondering if the deal is just waiting for Seattle to see if they needed the 4th round pick to move up elsewhere in the draft...

'Hawks are on the clock!

Top two TE are gone, Kalil's falling...do you take the C and move Spe ncer to G?
myELFboy
Analyst

Post#19 » by myELFboy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:43 am

Oh boy, an academic all ACC CB for 05-06 with 2 career interceptions is who the Seahawks drafted....yippee.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Sweezo » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:44 am

Come on....

Return to Seattle Seahawks