I want Keyshawn

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

I want Keyshawn 

Post#1 » by Ex-hippie » Wed May 2, 2007 12:08 am

Keyshawn has been cut loose by Carolina (right after he served as a color commentator for the draft and talked all about how he would mentor Dwayne Jarrett... oops). Keyshawn still has plenty left in the tank. I want to add him to our stable of wideouts if the price is right.
myELFboy
Analyst

Post#2 » by myELFboy » Wed May 2, 2007 1:33 am

I doubt he passes the Tim Ruskell prerequisite to becoming a Seattle Seahawk.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#3 » by Sweezo » Wed May 2, 2007 1:51 am

I'd add him...but where do you put him? Who gets cut for one year of Keyshawn?
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by Ex-hippie » Wed May 2, 2007 2:53 pm

myELFboy wrote:I doubt he passes the Tim Ruskell prerequisite to becoming a Seattle Seahawk.

Really? I like Ruskell's emphasis on character, but I think it would be going too far if he ruled out someone like Keyshawn. He doesn't have a rap sheet like Moss, and he hasn't submarined his own team like T.O. The knock on him is that he's selfish -- "Me-shawn," as they call him. So what? We'll give him the damn ball when we feel like it, and I think he realizes that by now. Oh yeah, and he was once seen arguing on the sideline with his QB. But at least he has passion, and he always shows up to play.

Sweezo wrote:I'd add him...but where do you put him? Who gets cut for one year of Keyshawn?

For next year I'll put six receivers on the roster: Branch, Hackett, Burleson, Keyshawn, Engram and Obamanu. Put Courtney Taylor on the practice squad, try to give him a shot at the roster in another year. Jordan Kent -- otherwise destined to become the second coming of Jason Willis, Jerheme Urban, James Williams and Taco Wallce -- can go to Canada or the Arena League where he belongs. If Kent turns out to be a keeper, which I give about a 1% chance of happening, we can retire Engram; would anyone be too devastated by that?
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Sweezo » Wed May 2, 2007 9:35 pm

I have no ties to Courney Taylor, but I wouldn't lump Kent into the same category as those other guys. For being a relatively new convert to football he fared pretty well. He's a hell of an athlete...I want the team to put him wherever it is that they feel he'll learn the most.
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by Ex-hippie » Thu May 3, 2007 2:24 pm

Sweezo wrote:He's a hell of an athlete...

I still have a hard time seeing how that can be expected to translate into success in the NFL. Every so often they bring in world-class track stars to play WR, and it usually doesn't go well. Football requires a discipline that is developed over many years of hard work and, to be blunt, the development of a high pain threshold. I suppose Kent does deserve some credit for at least becoming an adequate college receiver in a short period of time. And of course he comes into the league with more football experience than Antonio Gates had, so who knows. Hey, I hope I'm wrong. But I still want Keyshaun. We can carry two WR's on the pracice squad; if Kent and Taylor show anything, then they can try to bump Keyshaun and Engram off the roster in '08.
vegas_runnin_rebel
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by vegas_runnin_rebel » Sat May 5, 2007 4:47 pm

I'm with hippie...

Keyshawn would be a great addition to this team. Look at the success Jurevicius had here. As different as they are personality-wise (to say the least), they both bring a lot of the same attributes to the field-----Tremendous size, great hands, they're both fearless and great in traffic, top notch blockers, and they serve as a world class security blanket for the QB.

And as evidenced from his shaky season last year, I think Matt needs a big WR who can bail him out when things breakdown in the pocket. Guys like Jurevicius and Keyshawn don't need to get open. Just throw it up high to a spot, and they'll shield their man with their bodies and go get it. The same can't be said for Branch and Engram. If Matt tries to force the ball into them (as he's prone to do), it's likely an INT.

Another huge plus is that Keyshawn, like Jurevicius, provides the kind of blocking downfield that leads to LONG TD's for Shaun Alexander. Those are the kind of subtle plays that don't show up on the stat sheet, but make all the difference over the course of a season.

As far as making room for Keyshawn, it will definitely be tricky. But that being said, how many years has it been since we've had a healthy WR corps? I can't remember the last time that happened. It remains to be seen if Bobby can stay healthy for us. Branch has rarely made it through an entire season, and Hackett always seems to be banged up. I think we'll be kicking ourselves if we don't go after Keyshawn.

Finally, let's not forget that Ruskell was the guy who brought Keyshawn to Tampa Bay. For all I know, their relationship could be in the crapper now considering the way Keyshawn left the Bucs...But still, that tells me that Ruskell liked his as a player at least at one point.
EastCoastSonic
Sophomore

Post#8 » by EastCoastSonic » Sat May 5, 2007 8:59 pm

i thought last season keyshawn had a visit to seattle before going with carolina
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Sweezo » Sat May 5, 2007 10:39 pm

I remember Keyshawn making comments about how he'd love to have Matt throw it between the 1 and the 9 awhile back...I have no doubt that he'd like to come here and that the 'Hawks did have some interest at some point over the past few seasons.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#10 » by Bulltalk » Sun May 13, 2007 7:14 am

I agree that you might have to consider Keyshawn. Branch, Hackett, and Keyshawn would make a great starting 3, with Burleson and Engram off the bench.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)

Return to Seattle Seahawks