ImageImageImageImage

Are The Cowboy's Doomed This Season?

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,982

Re: Are The Cowboy's Doomed This Season? 

Post#41 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat May 21, 2016 11:28 pm

Can't argue on the defensive non-stands. But you gotta score TD's when you have drives like those two. And those two drops were drive killers.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,161

Post#42 » by Mr B » Sun May 22, 2016 4:52 pm

I agree, the defense does need some serious upgrades. Specifically the pass rush. I'm not a believer in building a team from the outside/in. I think teams should be built from the trenches/out. That's why I was all on board with the Zeke pick and not Ramsey. If there was a dominant pass rusher in this draft he would have been my choice. There wasn't though. So taking a player that will keep the defense off the field and help keep them fresh (while also scoring TD's) was the best way to go in my opinion. I also think the Jaylon Smith pick was horrible. I would have preferred one of the Bama DT's, or Billings with that pick. I also would have gone with Bullard in round 3 but I'm not completely upset with picking Collins. I also really like the Tapper pick in round 4.

I think if they were going to take a chance on a player in round 2 I would have preferred Spence.

If our first 4 rounds went like this

Zeke
Bama DT
Collins
Tapper
Ronald Blair

I would have been extremely happy. Our DL issues would have been completely solved, especially once Lawrence and Gregory return in week 5.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,372

Post#43 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon May 23, 2016 12:04 am

Totally agree with building inside out and starting with the trenches. That's why I wanted all out on defense. We already have the O-line. You have a different way of thinking than I do regarding the offense protecting the defense. Its suppose to be the other way around. Anyway, your assuming the offense will just be great and things will just go smoothly. I worry about the weeks when the offense doesn't play well, has turn overs, God forbid injuries that we always get and when we go up against the top defenses. Will our defense be able to hold down the fort. I don't have a good feeling at all.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#44 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun May 29, 2016 5:39 pm

Sure is nice that the main point of contention this off season so far is Ron Leary's threats not to attend minicamps.

I like the peace and quiet.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#45 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:01 am

What was that you said, peace and quiet, lol. Not For long in big-D. Something will happen or Jerry will make something happen to get the Cowboys in the headlines again.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:11 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:What was that you said, peace and quiet, lol. Not For long in big-D. Something will happen or Jerry will make something happen to get the Cowboys in the headlines again.

If he wanted to make some noise by letting McClain go I wouldn't be averse to it. Or maybe take a look at Freeney for a short term solution to our DE deficiency.

As long as he doesn't bring Paul Manziel's druggie son into the fold...
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#47 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:00 pm

I was right about him all along. He's nothing but a cancer and has proven to me this off season with his off field issues that he is not committed to be a Dallas Cowboy or this team. We all knew he had issues and was a high risk player, but not staying in shape or getting in shape and being ready for upcoming season and being in this condition because we drafted a LB who is not playing till next season. This guy has other issues more on the mental and mental or lack their of, toughness. If there is something we really need on this team, and that is old fashion competition, scappyness and heart.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#48 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jul 4, 2016 5:32 am

Looks like Anthony Hitchens will be taking MCClains spot at LB. Looks like McClain's butt is finally out the door. :D
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Jul 4, 2016 6:25 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Looks like Anthony Hitchens will be taking MCClains spot at LB. Looks like McClain's butt is finally out the door. :D

I'm OK with this. Move on. McClain wouldn't show up in shape for Week 11 anyway.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#50 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Jul 7, 2016 3:43 pm

Mr B wrote:I agree, the defense does need some serious upgrades. Specifically the pass rush. I'm not a believer in building a team from the outside/in. I think teams should be built from the trenches/out. That's why I was all on board with the Zeke pick and not Ramsey. If there was a dominant pass rusher in this draft he would have been my choice. There wasn't though. So taking a player that will keep the defense off the field and help keep them fresh (while also scoring TD's) was the best way to go in my opinion. I also think the Jaylon Smith pick was horrible. I would have preferred one of the Bama DT's, or Billings with that pick. I also would have gone with Bullard in round 3 but I'm not completely upset with picking Collins. I also really like the Tapper pick in round 4.

I think if they were going to take a chance on a player in round 2 I would have preferred Spence.

Zeke
Bama DT
Collins
Tapper
Ronald Blair

I would have been extremely happy. Our DL issues would have been completely solved, especially once Lawrence and Gregory return in week 5.

I'm all in agreement with you regarding building the defense inside and then out. But you are like most Cowboy fans saying we are crap at pass rushers. If you remember correctly I wanted DT, not DE. And Lots of LB's. I'm sure I have posts in here stating that. Pass rushers really don't make a whole lot of sense when every team can run the ball down our throats. A lot of good D. Ware was for us with no DT's.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#51 » by Mr B » Thu Jul 7, 2016 5:12 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:I agree, the defense does need some serious upgrades. Specifically the pass rush. I'm not a believer in building a team from the outside/in. I think teams should be built from the trenches/out. That's why I was all on board with the Zeke pick and not Ramsey. If there was a dominant pass rusher in this draft he would have been my choice. There wasn't though. So taking a player that will keep the defense off the field and help keep them fresh (while also scoring TD's) was the best way to go in my opinion. I also think the Jaylon Smith pick was horrible. I would have preferred one of the Bama DT's, or Billings with that pick. I also would have gone with Bullard in round 3 but I'm not completely upset with picking Collins. I also really like the Tapper pick in round 4.

Zeke
Bama DT
Collins
Tapper
Ronald Blair

I'm all in agreement with you regarding building the defense inside and then out. But you are like most Cowboy fans saying we are crap at pass rushers. If you remember correctly I wanted DT, not DE. And Lots of LB's. I'm sure I have posts in here stating that. Pass rushers really don't make a whole lot of sense when every team can run the ball down our throats. A lot of good D. Ware was for us with no DT's.

That where the addition of one of the Bama DT's and a healthy Maliek Collins, and Thornton would have helped. The three combined would have solved the run defense.

As bad as things look though I have a feeling they're not going to be as bad as they appear. I really think the subtraction of Greg Hardy from the locker room is going to make a positive difference.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#52 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Jul 7, 2016 8:20 pm

I hope your right. I thought I read something a few week's ago that one of our DT's we got this offseason is injured as well. I also just read a report that the Cowboys are close to letting McClain go. He will get to keep his $750,00 signing bonus, but it will free up 2.65 million in cap space.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#53 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:09 pm

You know MR. B, after thinking about our draft and everything that has transpired since then, if I knew this would be our starting point this upcoming season, I think I would have sided with you on drafting a QB. Outside of Elliot, I'm not certain we improved all that much. A lot of our draft was kinda wasted imo. Maybe SOME future help, but nothing immediate from what I see.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#54 » by Mr B » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:09 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:You know MR. B, after thinking about our draft and everything that has transpired since then, if I knew this would be our starting point this upcoming season, I think I would have sided with you on drafting a QB. Outside of Elliot, I'm not certain we improved all that much. A lot of our draft was kinda wasted imo. Maybe SOME future help, but nothing immediate from what I see.

Hold on to that thought because that will be a real possibility in the next draft. I think unless Dak becomes Russell Wilson then QB will be at or near the top of the priority list (at least within the first two rounds). I still hope there is a stud 3 down MLB available when they pick though.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#55 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:52 pm

And we have yet to address the most important position in our first line of defense. Out DT situation. Being dominate and stopping the run has always been a huge priority for me.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#56 » by Mr B » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:09 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:And we have yet to address the most important position in our first line of defense. Out DT situation. Being dominate and stopping the run has always been a huge priority for me.

I'm with you on that. They definitely need a stud run stuffing DT. The problem is that type of player doesn't fit what they like to do. I wanted them to draft Billings instead of Dak. He would have fit that role perfectly. But unfortunately he doesn't fit their mold. They like DT's that can also rush from the inside (like Collins and Crawford). Thornton is a very solid run defender but even he isn't built in the mold of Billings. With the money they already have invested in the DT spot (including David Irving) I don't see them drafting a DT high next year. I think the priorities are still going to be LB (hopefully MLB) and CB. But if a top QB falls to them all bets are off, they need to take the QB. At least that's my opinion.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#57 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:22 pm

Hopefully when we get everyone back from suspension, we could be o.k. if Lee stays healthy all season. If we can come up with a good scheme in the secondary, we could get some much needed turnovers. I have to admit on this day if our offense is going to be as good as they say, then that will put a lot of pressure on the other's team offense to try and stay with us. Our defense, if its healthy, plays smart, should benefit from this as well. Its nice to know that other teams will be playing from behind all the time and feeling what it is like. And when you have a team playing one dementional on offense, you can mask the weaknesses you have in your own defense. I would say that would be in the running game.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#58 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Aug 2, 2016 4:34 pm

This may sound kinda funny coming from me, but the strength of our defense this upcoming season might be our secondary, lol, wow.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#59 » by Mr B » Wed Aug 3, 2016 6:10 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:This may sound kinda funny coming from me, but the strength of our defense this upcoming season might be our secondary, lol, wow.

No kidding. I'm anxious to see how Jones does now that he can focus on playing safety only. He's my pick to lead the team in int's this year.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#60 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:59 pm

Nevertheless, I hope I'm wrong, but I really think we are in for a very long, hurtful and frustrating year, especially if Romo goes down.

Return to Dallas Cowboys