ImageImageImageImage

2023 Cowboys Offseason News & Notes

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,165

2023 Cowboys Offseason News & Notes 

Post#681 » by Mr B » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:27 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:I wonder how Cooper Rush feels about it. Kind of a slap in the face to him. That's the Cowboys letting Cooper know that he had no future here as a starter.

I don’t think anyone envisioned Cooper Rush ever being the full time starter in Dallas. He’s always be a career backup.
Mr B
RealGM

Re: 2023 Cowboys Offseason News & Notes 

Post#682 » by Mr B » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:28 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I like the trade. There is finally a light at the end of the tunnel to escape from Dak. Maybe there is hope after all. Lets start getting the kid ready now because we all know Dak will fail. I'm actually giddy over this move. The countdown begins for Dak now. No more excuses and letting Prescott off the hook anymore. The sooner the better for me. :party: Absolute best news since the draft. :guitar:

He will get a chance to sit and learn now. He will start off as the #3 QB and then battle Cooper Rush for the backup job. If he can clearly beat out Cooper Rush, then Dak better watch out. He’s due for a HUGE contract extension and he’s going into his 7th season with only 2 playoff wins. Regardless of how anyone feels about Dak history says guys like Dak don’t all of sudden go on a SB run with the team they’re currently on. I don’t think Jerry wants to pay him and is now looking for an out.[/quote]

Jerry is finally waking up to Dak? :rofl: Why did it take him 3 years to long to see what most other knowledgable fans already new 3 years ago? You can't blame the defense and ex Cowboy players for finally speaking out regarding this matter and Jerry is finally listen for a change. The window stays open for only so long in the NFL and the defense and the ex players want to cash in on a chip or two in the next 3 years and they don't want their hopes and dreams for this team to be crushed by Dak again. I mean in 8 years Dak has as many playoff wins as Blake Bortles while QB's like Jalen Hurts and Brock Purdey have surpassed him in just a year or two. I wonder if Micah will be as upset with Jerry for this move as he has been with me the past 2 years for my comments on this matter. There is no doubt in my mind now what is going to happen to Dak if he doesn't deliver a NFC championship this year. Also Dak now has no leverage in future contract talks. Tick tock, tick tock.

I thinkJerry has always felt this way about Dak, that’s why he hesitated paying him his first contract. He just didn’t have any other options at QB that were better than Dak.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,372

Post#683 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:27 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

He will get a chance to sit and learn now. He will start off as the #3 QB and then battle Cooper Rush for the backup job. If he can clearly beat out Cooper Rush, then Dak better watch out. He’s due for a HUGE contract extension and he’s going into his 7th season with only 2 playoff wins. Regardless of how anyone feels about Dak history says guys like Dak don’t all of sudden go on a SB run with the team they’re currently on. I don’t think Jerry wants to pay him and is now looking for an out.[/quote]

Jerry is finally waking up to Dak? :rofl: Why did it take him 3 years to long to see what most other knowledgable fans already new 3 years ago? You can't blame the defense and ex Cowboy players for finally speaking out regarding this matter and Jerry is finally listen for a change. The window stays open for only so long in the NFL and the defense and the ex players want to cash in on a chip or two in the next 3 years and they don't want their hopes and dreams for this team to be crushed by Dak again. I mean in 8 years Dak has as many playoff wins as Blake Bortles while QB's like Jalen Hurts and Brock Purdey have surpassed him in just a year or two. I wonder if Micah will be as upset with Jerry for this move as he has been with me the past 2 years for my comments on this matter. There is no doubt in my mind now what is going to happen to Dak if he doesn't deliver a NFC championship this year. Also Dak now has no leverage in future contract talks. Tick tock, tick tock.

I thinkJerry has always felt this way about Dak, that’s why he hesitated paying him his first contract. He just didn’t have any other options at QB that were better than Dak.

Should we send a crisis counselor over to Micah's house today? :wink:
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,211

Post#684 » by Micah Prescott » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:31 pm

This isn't a threat to Dak. The only threat to Dak is Dak. He's our starting QB this season and if he plays poorly this season even I might be ready to look elsewhere. Although I'm not sure how contact negotiating will go this season.

Lance told the 9ers he just wants to be somewhere that he could be the #2.

And I think that's why I'm not feeling great about this. The 49ers didn't even want him around as a backup.

It might be different if the 9ers just got lucky with Purdy and Lance took a back seat to that luck. But that isn't what happened. They then brought in Sam Darnold to back Purdy up and Lance couldn't even win that backup role. ALL OF THIS happening shortly after trading the farm for Lance. That says a ton.

Now if Lance comes in here and shocks everyone with his skill set and wins the starting role, I'll have his back. He'll I'll buy a jersey. But I'm not holding my breath on that happening.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#685 » by Micah Prescott » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:57 pm

The one person I do feel like this is an immediate threat to? Is Cooper Rush.

I don't think Rush will ever be an elite starter in the NFL, but I do think Rush is a very solid game manager QB. In fact I think Rush is similar to Brock Purdy.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#686 » by Mr B » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:12 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:This isn't a threat to Dak. The only threat to Dak is Dak. He's our starting QB this season and if he plays poorly this season even I might be ready to look elsewhere. Although I'm not sure how contact negotiating will go this season.

And I think that's why I'm not feeling great about this. The 49ers didn't even want him around as a backup.

It might be different if the 9ers just got lucky with Purdy and Lance took a back seat to that luck. But that isn't what happened. They then brought in Sam Darnold to back Purdy up and Lance couldn't even win that backup role. ALL OF THIS happening shortly after trading the farm for Lance. That says a ton.

Now if Lance comes in here and shocks everyone with his skill set and wins the starting role, I'll have his back. He'll I'll buy a jersey. But I'm not holding my breath on that happening.

I wrote this on the main board but I think the main reason the moved on from Lance so quick is because they clearly want Purdy to be the guy. He needs to have the opportunity to fight through the tough games without having a top 3 pick looking over his shoulder.

If Lance is still there the fans would be clamoring for Lance the first time Purdy has a bad game. Parcels used to say if you have 2 QB’s you don’t have any QB’s. They are better off cutting bait than keeping Lance on the roster being a threat to Purdy.

In Dallas it’s a little different because Dak is clearly the starter and already has the contract. Lance has already been labeled the #3 guy and has replaced Grier. Cooper Rush is the only guy on the roster Lance is a threat to for now. The only time he will be a threat to Dak is when his contract negotiations start up.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#687 » by Micah Prescott » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:54 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:This isn't a threat to Dak. The only threat to Dak is Dak. He's our starting QB this season and if he plays poorly this season even I might be ready to look elsewhere. Although I'm not sure how contact negotiating will go this season.

I wrote this on the main board but I think the main reason the moved on from Lance so quick is because they clearly want Purdy to be the guy. He needs to have the opportunity to fight through the tough games without having a top 3 pick looking over his shoulder.

If Lance is still there the fans would be clamoring for Lance the first time Purdy has a bad game. Parcels used to say if you have 2 QB’s you don’t have any QB’s. They are better off cutting bait than keeping Lance on the roster being a threat to Purdy.

In Dallas it’s a little different because Dak is clearly the starter and already has the contract. Lance has already been labeled the #3 guy and has replaced Grier. Cooper Rush is the only guy on the roster Lance is a threat to for now. The only time he will be a threat to Dak is when his contract negotiations start up.

Yeah, all of this makes sense and I agree with it.

Maybe we slipped into a hidden treasure here, I hope we did. And I'm happy we have something in the works should Dak disappoint big this season. I just think it's unlikely Lance is "special" or even more skilled than Dak is. But I hope he shocks me and ends up being Mahomes 2.0
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,512

Post#688 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:35 am

Micah Prescott wrote:Maybe we slipped into a hidden treasure here, I hope we did. And I'm happy we have something in the works should Dak disappoint big this season. I just think it's unlikely Lance is "special" or even more skilled than Dak is. But I hope he shocks me and ends up being Mahomes 2.0

If he was the next Mahomes, it would have showed by now. :wink:

Best case: He develops behind Dak. Eventually takes over as the starter. But the odds aren't in his favor at the moment.

SF knew that it wasn't going to work with him. He wasn't a fit in that offense. That's why he became the third guy on the depth chart.

The biggest obstacle for him in Dallas, is playing time. He needs to play. It's really that simple. As he's only played in a handful of games going back to his last season in college. Being the third QB doesn't do him a ton of good. As the #2 gets the scout team reps.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,512

Post#689 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:56 am

If anyone is curious about his play at North Dakota State.

His season during the Pandemic year was cut short. So he hasn't really played much at all since 2019. Just one year as a starter.

Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#690 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:30 pm

That's what I have been telling you and other Cowboy fans the past 3 years. He's not the guy. Hopefully this is his last year, at least from my point of view.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#691 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:04 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:That's what I have been telling you and other Cowboy fans the past 3 years. He's not the guy. Hopefully this is his last year, at least from my point of view.

Your point of view *should be* that hopefully Dak wins a ring and goes on to play another 8 years for Dallas. You are openly rooting for him to fail, and the team as a whole to lose games. There are Browns fans with more optimism and positivity than you.

In all likelihood, Dak will be great in the regular season, because he always is, we will have a very high scoring offense, but then come playoff time who knows.

And then just like last season, it will be "did the team move forward or backward". Which IMO just means we need to win 2 playoff games this time and not 1.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#692 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:46 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:That's what I have been telling you and other Cowboy fans the past 3 years. He's not the guy. Hopefully this is his last year, at least from my point of view.

Your point of view *should be* that hopefully Dak wins a ring and goes on to play another 8 years for Dallas. You are openly rooting for him to fail, and the team as a whole to lose games. There are Browns fans with more optimism and positivity than you.

In all likelihood, Dak will be great in the regular season, because he always is, we will have a very high scoring offense, but then come playoff time who knows.

And then just like last season, it will be "did the team move forward or backward". Which IMO just means we need to win 2 playoff games this time and not 1.

I'm not rooting for Dak to fail. He has already failed in my opinion and hasn't lived up to his contract. We have an 8 year resume to back it up. But don't ask me, you should check with Jerry on this one. I mean Dak is coming off his worse season and has missed 17 games the past 3 years and has as many playoff wins as Blake Bortles since 2016. What he does in the regular season doesn't mean a whole lot to me. What I will be looking for is how he plays and produces vs. the elite teams when the lights shine the brightest and things are on the line. You know I will never change my mind. I want Dak out of here as soon as possible.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#693 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:00 pm

SMH, Last season was arguably the franchises best season since SBXXX. But whatever, no need to do the same circles with you.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#694 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:24 pm

Tick tock, tick tock for Prescott. Especially if he gets off to a bad start. If the Cowboys get off to a 2-3 start, will Jerry have any more patients with Dak? :eyebrows:
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#695 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:09 pm

We would have to be 0-5 with Dak throwing more INTs than TDs for Dak to be benched that early for Lance. in fact I'll say that's basically impossible. We start with the Giants and Dak is like 50-0 vs the Giants.

If you are a Dak hater, you basically need to be rooting for an injury, and then pray that Lance comes in an surprises everyone. Basically the same thing that happened to Romo w/Dak. That's your only shot.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,982

Post#696 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:12 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:If you are a Dak hater, you basically need to be rooting for an injury, and then pray that Lance comes in and surprises everyone. Basically the same thing that happened to Romo w/Dak. That's your only shot.

If Lance comes in at any point of this season for any reason beyond mop up then we are already screwed and playing for draft position next spring.

Anyone expecting anything beyond that is simply unrealistic.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#697 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:39 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:We would have to be 0-5 with Dak throwing more INTs than TDs for Dak to be benched that early for Lance. in fact I'll say that's basically impossible. We start with the Giants and Dak is like 50-0 vs the Giants.

If you are a Dak hater, you basically need to be rooting for an injury, and then pray that Lance comes in an surprises everyone. Basically the same thing that happened to Romo w/Dak. That's your only shot.

The only game that looks like a gimmie in the first 5 weeks is our game with the Cardinals. We haven't beaten the Niners for 2 straight years. Rodgers owns the Cowboys and the games vs. Washington and New York will not be easy. Both teams have very good defenses and are the strengths of their teams. In 9 straight series the last time we played Washington our great leader couldn't even get a first down. I wouldn't take any of those games for granted.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#698 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:45 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:We would have to be 0-5 with Dak throwing more INTs than TDs for Dak to be benched that early for Lance. in fact I'll say that's basically impossible. We start with the Giants and Dak is like 50-0 vs the Giants.

The only game that looks like a gimmie in the first 5 weeks is our game with the Cardinals. We haven't beaten the Niners for 2 straight years. Rodgers owns the Cowboys and the games vs. Washington and New York will not be easy. Both teams have very good defenses and are the strengths of their teams. In 9 straight series the last time we played Washington our great leader couldn't even get a first down. I wouldn't take any of those games for granted.

Oh good, so all of those would be "meaningful wins" to you if Dak does well. Good to know.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#699 » by Mr B » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:31 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:SMH, Last season was arguably the franchises best season since SBXXX. But whatever, no need to do the same circles with you.

Regular season
Mr B
RealGM

Post#700 » by Mr B » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:32 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:If you are a Dak hater, you basically need to be rooting for an injury, and then pray that Lance comes in and surprises everyone. Basically the same thing that happened to Romo w/Dak. That's your only shot.

If Lance comes in at any point of this season for any reason beyond mop up then we are already screwed and playing for draft position next spring.

Anyone expecting anything beyond that is simply unrealistic.

Facts

Return to Dallas Cowboys