Moderator: Texas Chuck

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,982

Re: 2023 Cowboys Offseason News & Notes 

Post#721 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:48 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:From what I reading, Dak is going to get a massive contract before the end of the season, in the neighborhood of $350m. And I am not a fan of that at all. I think we are going to see a huge deal take place...

Right now, he counts $59M toward the 2024 cap. Whatever deal takes place - it will absolutely reduce that number.

Yes they restructured his current contract knowing that they would have to give him an extension soon. And they know that the sooner they can get that done the better for several reasons. Market value for QBs keep getting worse and worse, and the longer they wait the more ammo Dak's agent has to threaten FA where someone will give him a massive contract.

In fact I have now read several who believe that Dallas brought in Lance specifically to have ammo against Dak's agent in deal talks.

Dallas kind of got themselves into a mess contractually, but a big part of why it is a mess is for the simple fact that there is no good alternative to Dak Prescott, and Dak's agent knows that. Dak is a top-7-12 ish QB in the NFL, and it is probably impossible for Dallas to get a QB who is ranked higher than that.

I've read that too... and I just don't buy it. Having a guy who is at best your 3rd string QB doesn't give the Cowboys any leverage here. It's the same as thinking Lance will challenge Dak this year or even next. It's silly talk.

Thing is - as you note - the market value for QB's is getting silly and it's not going to change. With Burrow, Allen and possibly a redo for Mahomes all on the horizon, it's not going down. Once again - the sooner, the better (like it or not). Otherwise, 2024 becomes the line in the sand year.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,183

Post#722 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:22 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Right now, he counts $59M toward the 2024 cap. Whatever deal takes place - it will absolutely reduce that number.

Yes they restructured his current contract knowing that they would have to give him an extension soon. And they know that the sooner they can get that done the better for several reasons. Market value for QBs keep getting worse and worse, and the longer they wait the more ammo Dak's agent has to threaten FA where someone will give him a massive contract.

In fact I have now read several who believe that Dallas brought in Lance specifically to have ammo against Dak's agent in deal talks.

Dallas kind of got themselves into a mess contractually, but a big part of why it is a mess is for the simple fact that there is no good alternative to Dak Prescott, and Dak's agent knows that. Dak is a top-7-12 ish QB in the NFL, and it is probably impossible for Dallas to get a QB who is ranked higher than that.

I've read that too... and I just don't buy it. Having a guy who is at best your 3rd string QB doesn't give the Cowboys any leverage here. It's the same as thinking Lance will challenge Dak this year or even next. It's silly talk.

Thing is - as you note - the market value for QB's is getting silly and it's not going to change. With Burrow, Allen and possibly a redo for Mahomes all on the horizon, it's not going down. Once again - the sooner, the better (like it or not). Otherwise, 2024 becomes the line in the sand year.

The front office is in a worse place than it was during the first Dak holdout. They no longer possess the threat of franchise tag, they already used that up. And they know the longer that they wait the more ammo Dak's agent will have. Because I am sure Dak's agent would love for Dak to walk into FA after 2024. Then he gets the highest bidder. Dak's agent doesn't need Dak to resign with Dallas, so Jerry and Stephen's threats will be empty ones. Also the front office got burned pretty badly holding out on Dak the first time. Had they just given him a contract sooner it would have been a much smaller contract.

He's going to get a record breaking deal, and I believe it will happen sooner rather than later.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#723 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:48 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:The front office is in a worse place than it was during the first Dak holdout. They no longer possess the threat of franchise tag, they already used that up. And they know the longer that they wait the more ammo Dak's agent will have. Because I am sure Dak's agent would love for Dak to walk into FA after 2024. Then he gets the highest bidder. Dak's agent doesn't need Dak to resign with Dallas, so Jerry and Stephen's threats will be empty ones. Also the front office got burned pretty badly holding out on Dak the first time. Had they just given him a contract sooner it would have been a much smaller contract.

He's going to get a record breaking deal, and I believe it will happen sooner rather than later.

Well - if it’s a record breaker then they had better do it before Burrow’s record breaker.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#724 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:16 pm

The Cowboys have averaged 29.9 PPG with Dak as a starter since 2019.

That is #1 overall in that time frame.

And what most don't realize, is that statistically speaking (PPG) Dallas actually had a better offense last season than defense. Offense ranked #4 overall and the defense ranked #5 overall.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,147

Post#725 » by Mr B » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:38 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:The Cowboys have averaged 29.9 PPG with Dak as a starter since 2019.

And what most don't realize, is that statistically speaking (PPG) Dallas actually had a better offense last season than defense. Offense ranked #4 overall and the defense ranked #5 overall.

It’s all about post season success. Dak won’t be considered great unless he wins in the postseason.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#726 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:30 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:The Cowboys have averaged 29.9 PPG with Dak as a starter since 2019.

It’s all about post season success. Dak won’t be considered great unless he wins in the postseason.

Not impossible, there are 7 QBs in the Hall of Fame who never won a ring.

I think he will go on to have post season success though, so many QBs peak in their 30s, Steve Young played 10 seasons before winning a ring in 94 at age 33. Peyton, Elway, many others peaked late. If Dak plays another 8 years, I don't know that he will get a ring, but I would bet he'll have many playoff victories. And I think the next 5 years will be his peak.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,349

Post#727 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Sep 1, 2023 11:58 am

And what some don't realize is the Cowboy defense has scored 224 points the last two seasons. So again you are sugar coating and inflating your boy's stats once again when it comes to PPG. :pityfool:
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#728 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Sep 1, 2023 2:23 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:

And what some don't realize is the Cowboy defense has scored 224 points the last two seasons. So again you are sugar coating and inflating your boy's stats once again when it comes to PPG. :pityfool:

Lol what? Where did you find that stat? And how did you not know it was off immediately?
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,147

Post#729 » by Mr B » Fri Sep 1, 2023 3:50 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I think he will go on to have post season success though, so many QBs peak in their 30s, Steve Young played 10 seasons before winning a ring in 94 at age 33. Peyton, Elway, many others peaked late. If Dak plays another 8 years, I don't know that he will get a ring, but I would bet he'll have many playoff victories. And I think the next 5 years will be his peak.

The difference between those QB’s and Dak is all had previously made it to the Conference Championship game before finally breaking through to win a SB. All were in the cusp of getting to the SB.

Dak is entering his prime and does still have a chance but history is not on his side. No QB in NFL history (age 30 or older) with only 2 career playoff wins has ever gone on a SB run. That doesn’t mean it can’t be done but history is not on his side.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#730 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Sep 1, 2023 4:27 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:It’s all about post season success. Dak won’t be considered great unless he wins in the postseason.

The difference between those QB’s and Dak is all had previously made it to the Conference Championship game before finally breaking through to win a SB. All were in the cusp of getting to the SB.

Dak is entering his prime and does still have a chance but history is not on his side. No QB in NFL history (age 30 or older) with only 2 career playoff wins has ever gone on a SB run. That doesn’t mean it can’t be done but history is not on his side.

Where did you get that info? That's completely untrue. Dak keeps getting the Peyton comparison who was also 2-4 in the playoffs just like Dak going into his 30s.

It looks like Steve Young was 2-2 in the post season before winning at age 33

Steve Young was 8-6 overall in the post season, the ONLY time he got more than 1 win was 94, his SB year.

John Elway was 37 before finally making it to the SB. Although I can see he had a few seasons with 2 playoff wins before.

Then there are the QBs who kind of fell into a SB win like Brad Johnson. Johnson only had 1 playoff win before winning a ring at age 34

Doug Williams only had 1 playoff win before winning it all at age 32

Joe Theismann had ZERO playoff wins before winning a ring at age 33

In fact now that I look at this, I think it is more uncommon for 20-somethings to win rings. Mahomes is the outliar.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#731 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Sep 1, 2023 4:44 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:John Elway was 37 before finally making it BACK to the SB and winning. Although I can see he had a few seasons with 2 playoff wins before.

Had to correct you… Elway took the Broncos to 3 Super Bowls (XXI, XXII, XXIV) before returning in XXXII & XXXIII. Having TD made all the difference in the world in those last two.

Speaking of those other ones, my buddy & I were talking about those teams the other day and we reminded each other that after the ’86 season, the Cowboys traded another TD to Denver once Landry decided to go with Herschel Walker after the ’86 season. Dorsett blew out his knee and retired before playing a down in the '87 season. I sure would have liked to see how that Broncos team would have done with a legitimate RB instead of Sammy Winder and that ilk. Dorsett was FAR from being washed up. They might have given the Redskins a better matchup had he been in the mix.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#732 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Sep 1, 2023 4:46 pm

In fact, we just had one. Stafford was 0-3 in the post season before finally winning a ring at age 33
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#733 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Sep 1, 2023 4:50 pm

Roger, who is BJJ's God, was 29 winning his first ring, (close to 30) and had no playoff wins going into that.

Roger won his second at age 35
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,500

Post#734 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Sep 1, 2023 5:51 pm

Guys, if Geno can do it. So can Dak. No worries. :thumbsup:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#735 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Sep 1, 2023 8:09 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Guys, if Geno can do it. So can Dak. No worries. :thumbsup:

30’s just a number, Bro… one I haven’t seen in over 30 years.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#736 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Sep 2, 2023 12:25 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Lol what? Where did you find that stat? And how did you not know it was off immediately?

Its not to hard to find out. Its right there in plain site. Not hard to look up either. No sense in even having a discussion about this one if you can't handle the truth or facts. Once again, the Cowboy defense has scored 224 points the last two seasons. Look it up. I'm sure you are capable. Not trying to show you up, its just a fact.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#737 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Sep 2, 2023 12:36 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:Roger, who is BJJ's God, was 29 winning his first ring, (close to 30) and had no playoff wins going into that.

Roger won his second at age 35

The reason why "Roger the Dodger" didn't win his first Super Bowl till 29 years of age was due to the fact he did 4 years of Naval service after he was drafted before joining the team. Otherwise he would have taken over after Dandy Don retired and we would not have gone threw the pain of Craig Morton for 2.5 years and giving away Super Bowl V. :banghead:
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#738 » by Micah Prescott » Sat Sep 2, 2023 1:22 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:And what some don't realize is the Cowboy defense has scored 224 points the last two seasons. So again you are sugar coating and inflating your boy's stats once again when it comes to PPG. :pityfool:

Its not to hard to find out. Its right there in plain site. Not hard to look up either. No sense in even having a discussion about this one if you can't handle the truth or facts. Once again, the Cowboy defense has scored 224 points the last two seasons. Look it up. I'm sure you are capable. Not trying to show you up, its just a fact.

224 points?

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/defense/scoring/2022/reg/all

They had 3 TDs last season. That's 21 points

None of those points factored into offensive scoring with Dak anyway
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#739 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Sep 2, 2023 2:20 pm

They were arguing with this matter a while back on ESPN. To be honest, I don't know how they arrived at 224 either. In 2021 the Cowboys had 42 points in defense and special teams scoring. 2022 they had only 18 points. Maybe they added kicker scoring. But that doesn't add up either. 129 points in 2021 and 137 in 2022. This is why I don't listen to most of these ESPN guys or ESPN at all while I'm washing dishes.
As of yesterday I don't have ESPN on my cable provider anymore. Noticed it came up blank starting yesterday. Apparently ESPN is asking too much so Spectrum dropped them. Good thing I have a stick to stream.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#740 » by Micah Prescott » Sat Sep 2, 2023 5:09 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:They were arguing with this matter a while back on ESPN. To be honest, I don't know how they arrived at 224 either. In 2021 the Cowboys had 42 points in defense and special teams scoring. 2022 they had only 18 points. Maybe they added kicker scoring. But that doesn't add up either. 129 points in 2021 and 137 in 2022. This is why I don't listen to most of these ESPN guys or ESPN at all while I'm washing dishes.
As of yesterday I don't have ESPN on my cable provider anymore. Noticed it came up blank starting yesterday. Apparently ESPN is asking too much so Spectrum dropped them. Good thing I have a stick to stream.

Now you're pinning it on some vague ESPN comment that you can't explain after telling me "it's nit hard to find out".

"It's right there in plain site" :lol:

I don't care who said it, like I said earlier, how did you not immediately know it was off? You should already know that defenses don't score hundreds of points just from common sense.

Return to Dallas Cowboys