And...

We're off!
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,372

Re: 2017 Dallas Cowboys - Season Thread 

Post#2 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:19 pm

Cowboy's crush the Giants today. this was the first game circled on their schedule this past off season.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,982

Post#3 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:43 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Cowboy's crush the Giants today. this was the first game circled on their schedule this past off season.

I wouldn't say they crushed them... but they dominated them.

I'll take an ugly win any time.
NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie
And1: 67

Post#4 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:54 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Cowboy's crush the Giants today. this was the first game circled on their schedule this past off season.

I wouldn’t call it ugly, but showed things to work on. I guess we’ll see down the road how good the defense is vs how bad the Giants offense was.

I keep hearing Eli Manning is a future hall of famer. Even without ODB, they have talented receivers. ‘Boys showed that pressure on the QB. Eli sacked 3 times (officially; plus the Mayowa sack that was ruled incompletion/penalty on Giants). Regardless of the total sacks, the heat was there all night. Last year, they had 2 sacks in week 1 and 3 sacks in game 2 vs the Giants. Jaylon Smith had that forced fumble that was whistled dead. Jaylon Smith is in a great spot with being able to learn from Sean Lee; what an amazing leader for the defense. Looked like they could be a play-making defense.

The icing: David Irving and Damontre Moore were out but will be back soon. They’ll help with the heat even more down the road. True, the Giants failure to get anything with the run game helped in that regard but the Cowboys passed the eye test in looking good at getting to the QB. Adding Hitchens, Taco, and Jourdan Lewis will be great as well, and I’m sure they’ll be offset by some players who go down. That’s a football season for you.

On offense, Dak was just a little bit off on some passes but it’s week 1. Tom Brady was way off on some passes. We saw QBs around the league struggle. Timing and accuracy will hopefully come around. Importantly, I thought Dak made good decisions. I thought Dez was interfered with twice that wasn’t called (one in end zone and one at the 1-yard line or in the end zone). Rico Gathers might be a player that could help in the red zone on playmaking if he comes back and makes the active roster.

Being up 16-0 at half changed the game plan on offense and defense, so I don’t think 3 points in the second half is all that much concern. Looks like the Cowboys were just playing conservatively to win (on offense and defensive calls). Alfred Morris didn’t look too good, but he did carry the ball in difficult spots.

So, I’m excited and won’t call it an ugly win.

Let’s see what happens with the Zeke appeal/court battle. I hope that if it’s going to be resolved this season, it’s resolved sooner rather than later. I’m beating a dead horse, but I don’t want him missing playoff time and want him geared up for the playoffs.

Last year, game 1 vs Giants (Loss 20-19)
Eli 3 TDS, 1 INT, sacked 2x; team rushing 24 for 113
Dak – 25/45, 227 TDS, 0 TD, 0 INT
Zeke 20 carries for 51 yards (2.5 AVG), Morris 7 carriers for 35 yards

Last year, game 2, loss 10-7
Eli – 17/28 for 193, 1 TD, 1 INT, sacked 3 times
Giants rushing 33 for 93 (2.8 avg)

Dak 17/37 for 165 yards, 1 TD, 2 picks, sacked 3 times
Zeke 25 for 107 (4.5 AVG) team, 25 for 108 (4.3)

This year, WIN 19-3
Eli – O TDs, 1 INT, 220 yds
Giants Rushing 12 carriers for 35 yards

Dak 24/39, 268 yds, 1 TD, 0 turnovers
Zeke 24 for 104 (4.3 AVG); plus 5 receptions for 36 yards
Team rushing 31 for 129 (4.2 AVG)
Bobby Knight says:
"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."
"You don't play against opponents, you play against the game of basketball. "
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:51 am

I don't want to talk about Zeke's court battle again until the off season. It's a non-issue at this point. Judge Mazzant isn't going to vacate his decision and the appeals process will take months so Zeke isn't sitting this season. Let's all move on.

I'm sure Dak looked at the game film and saw some mechanical flaws he will need to correct. Some of the footwork ones were easy to see. And recalling last season, when he corrected those flaws, he always came back to have a terrific game the following week.

I thought Lee and Smith were excellent. As I said on the other thread, they reminded me of a good D-Man pairing in hockey. They worked in tandem very well together. I expect growth there. And it paid off for the defense overall. The DB's still scare me but it's not like we have Aaron Rodgers coming up this week. And I thought the D-Line did very well all in all. A little stiffer test this week.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:10 pm

Has 'outrageous' Cowboys tight end Jason Witten already earned his spot as the next Mr. Cowboy?
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/09/12/outrageous-cowboys-tight-end-jason-witten-already-earned-spot-next-mr-cowboy

Dallas Morning News
By David Moore , Staff Writer

FRISCO -- Jason Witten appreciates the assumption he will soon take his place alongside the sport's greats.

Who wouldn't? A little more than five weeks ago, as he walked through the Hall of Fame waiting for the induction of owner Jerry Jones, the Cowboys tight end got chills.

Questions about one day joining that group come more frequently at this stage of his career. Again, it's flattering. But you don't find yourself a week or two away from cracking the NFL's top five all-time receptions list by getting ahead of yourself.

Witten enjoys being part of this team. He believes there's more to accomplish and is driven to do all he can to make it happen. Please stop asking him to reflect on a career that isn't over.

He's not a bust in a museum yet.

"It's a tricky deal, right?" Witten said. "You always want to show your appreciation and you're humbleness.

"At the same time, I love where I'm at right now. I kind of like living in the world where you're defined right now."

Right now, Witten has more receiving yards than any player in Cowboys history. He passed Michael Irvin for that honor in Sunday night's win over the New York Giants.

Another record falls this weekend. The game against Denver will be No. 225 for Witten, easing him past Ed "Too Tall" Jones and into the top spot on the franchise list.

Former Cowboys coach Bill Parcells loved to say that football players need to play football during football season. No one takes that the heart more than Witten.

"It's outrageous," linebacker Sean Lee said. "For him to be able to play like that, I mean, he's a legend. We all see him as a legend in this locker room.

"As much as that's impressive, it's also the day in and day out that goes along with him playing so well, how he practices."

It can be the final practice of training camp or the last day of preparation for a game and there's Witten on a 7-on-7 route, fully extending himself for a diving catch.

That's what teammates see day in and day out. They don't see a 35-year-old star scaling back in practice or picking his spots. That's why he's revered by Lee and others in the Dallas locker room.

"Everything you can want as a leader, he has," Lee said. "Everything you can want on the field, the way he plays, how talented he is, how skilled he is. He's the complete package and really the role model for all of us to look up to.

"I learned early you better be prepared for how he runs his routes. But then he'll change them on you, now, once you get a bead on how he's running them. He's a savvy guy."

It's well known that Witten and former Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo are close. They came into the league together. When the history of Witten is written Romo will have a significant part.

But it's just as clear that the veteran tight end is energized by this young, exciting Cowboys nucleus. He wants to be part of the next chapter with Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott and others.

He has too much respect for his teammates and what they can do together to attempt to articulate his legacy now.

"I really don't try to think that way," Witten said. "My approach has always been when I evaluate it, how can I get better, how can I continue to play?

"Certainly, I know where I am in my career and all of my focus truly has been on that there is a happy ending to the final chapters here, and that is competing and winning a championship."

Bob Lilly is known as Mr. Cowboy. No one is suggesting the first player drafted in franchise history, and the first one into the Hall of Fame, should be stripped of that title.

But Witten is worthy of carrying that nickname for another generation.

"That's how we see him," Lee said. "There is nobody better to represent this franchise, and really no one better to represent the NFL and how you succeed on and off the field."

All of this talk about Witten's place in history makes him uncomfortable.

"That's right," he said. "They'll be plenty of time to reflect and do that.

"Right now, I'm just trying to make the kids' fantasy team proud, you know."

He's off to a good start.

In Year 15.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#7 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:28 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:

And How many of our guys are on suspension? 2 or 3. I still say the defense will be a pleasant surprise this year. I also thought we left a few points off the board. Dak was jacked up for this one. he was high and missed some early throws. But as usual, he didn't hurt us or make hardly any mistakes. I love that.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:08 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

And How many of our guys are on suspension? 2 or 3. I still say the defense will be a pleasant surprise this year. I also thought we left a few points off the board. Dak was jacked up for this one. he was high and missed some early throws. But as usual, he didn't hurt us or make hardly any mistakes. I love that.

Early on I thought Dak's mechanics were off a bit. I'll bet they worked on them this week in practice.

I really enjoyed watching Smith and Lee working together. There is definitely chemistry between them. Looked like a couple of D-Men in hockey. Health permitting - those two are going to be pretty damn special, BJJ.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#9 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:22 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Early on I thought Dak's mechanics were off a bit. I'll bet they worked on them this week in practice.

I really enjoyed watching Smith and Lee working together. There is definitely chemistry between them. Looked like a couple of D-Men in hockey. Health permitting - those two are going to be pretty damn special, BJJ.

I agree. Lets hope and pray they both stay healthy. I believe our pass rush will get better when we get Irvin and what's his name back. I just woke up so I can't remember names at the moment.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#10 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:54 pm

Anyone heard about Scandrick's wrist injury. How long will he be out?
P.S. How much longer for Rico Gather's?
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#11 » by studcrackers » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:04 am

Gathers was placed on the IR. 1st eligible for week 9 I believe
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,165

Post#12 » by Mr B » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:16 am

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:12 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Anyone heard about Scandrick's wrist injury. How long will he be out?
P.S. How much longer for Rico Gather's?

Latest from DMN Sports Day...

-- Starting CB Orlando Scandrick (fractured left hand) didn't practice again Thursday. He hasn't been ruled out for Sunday but isn't expected to play.
-- Rookie CBs Chidobe Awuzie (hamstring) and Jourdan Lewis (hamstring) fully participated in practice Thursday for a second consecutive day.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:13 pm

Well - this is going to get plenty of airtime the next few days...

Read on Twitter
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,165

2017 Dallas Cowboys - Season Thread 

Post#15 » by Mr B » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:34 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Well - this is going to get plenty of airtime the next few days...

Read on Twitter

Kind of hard to get anything going when you only get 8 carries the entire game. Also your coach should also be over there trying to keep everyone hyped instead of just standing there clapping like an idiot. Instead of playing to their strength (the run game) they tried to get "cute" and attack the Broncos strength (pass defense). Absolutely no reason Dak should be throwing 50+ passes and Zeke only gets 8 carries. That's not Dak's game and that's not what made the Cowboys successful last year.

Also if this is the blueprint to stopping the Cowboys teams better also bring Von Miller and that Broncos secondary.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:04 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Well - this is going to get plenty of airtime the next few days...

Read on Twitter

Kind of hard to get anything going when you only get 8 carries the entire game. Also your coach should also be over there trying to keep everyone hyped instead of just standing there clapping like an idiot. Instead of playing to their strength (the run game) they tried to get "cute" and attack the Broncos strength (pass defense). Absolutely no reason Dak should be throwing 50+ passes and Zeke only gets 8 carries. That's not Dak's game and that's not what made the Cowboys successful last year.

Also if this is the blueprint to stopping the Cowboys teams better also bring Von Miller and that Broncos secondary.

Exactly. It isn't like they were playing some bunch of scrubs. They loaded the box and nudged the Cowboys into a game they weren't built for.

And let's not forget... the defense got shredded. That helped take us out of our game as well.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:06 pm

And as far as LT, he's an expert on quitting...

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:15 pm

Although... I definitely have a problem with this.

Read on Twitter
NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie
And1: 67

Post#19 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:08 pm

I'm just going to live in a bubble and blame the poor play all around on altitude...
Bobby Knight says:

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

"You don't play against opponents, you play against the game of basketball. "
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:28 pm

NickAndersonsBack25 wrote:I'm just going to live in a bubble and blame the poor play all around on altitude...

Sound advice.

I'm with you.

Return to Dallas Cowboys