2023 NFL Draft: Dallas Cowboys

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,165

2023 NFL Draft: Dallas Cowboys 

Post#1 » by Mr B » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:45 am

Might as well get this one started now.

Without doing too much research yet the first two guys is like to see the Cowboys target is at pick 26 are CB Joey Porter Jr or RB Bijan Robinson.

Both will actually likely be gone by 26 but there’s a chance to could fall too. Porter fits a need, comes from a school they like taking players from (Penn St), and has the lineage and pedigree.

Bijan Robinson is a home run hitter though. A potential superstar RB. We all know that Dak isn’t the guy that’s going to carry this team on his own when the playoffs get here. He needs to be surrounded by stars to be successful. Well pairing Bijan with Pollard would take a ton of pressure off Dak. In this offense Bijan could end up being in the OROY conversation.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,372

Re: 2023 NFL Draft: Dallas Cowboys 

Post#2 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:19 pm

If we go CB ( which is one area of need), I like both Clark Phillips and Cam Smith unless Kelee Ringo drops to us. If we go OL there are two of them I like near were we pick, O'Cyrus Torrence (Has a nasty streak I like) and John Michael Schmitz out of Minnesota. I know center isn't a sexy position but this kid is way worth his weight in gold. Once again I would love to have a run stuffing DT. Been bitching about getting one for 8 years and running. If we go that route I really like Mazi Smith out of Michigan.
Two best players in the draft are DT Jalen Carter and RB Bijan Robinson and we have no shot at either one of them.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#3 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:59 pm

Would love to draft a QB but I really don't like any of them. I remember tom Landry used to draft one almost every year. Next year's draft class looks so much better to me.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,513

Post#4 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:24 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:If we go CB ( which is one area of need), I like both Clark Phillips and Cam Smith unless Kelee Ringo drops to us. If we go OL there are two of them I like near were we pick, O'Cyrus Torrence (Has a nasty streak I like) and John Michael Schmitz out of Minnesota. I know center isn't a sexy position but this kid is way worth his weight in gold. Once again I would love to have a run stuffing DT. Been bitching about getting one for 8 years and running. If we go that route I really like Mazi Smith out of Michigan.
Two best players in the draft are DT Jalen Carter and RB Bijan Robinson and we have no shot at either one of them.

Ringo's film isn't that great. There's a decent chance he's still available at the bottom of Round 1. There are much better CB's in this class.

Good start. But it looks like you need to do some more scouting. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#5 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:30 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:If we go CB ( which is one area of need), I like both Clark Phillips and Cam Smith unless Kelee Ringo drops to us. If we go OL there are two of them I like near were we pick, O'Cyrus Torrence (Has a nasty streak I like) and John Michael Schmitz out of Minnesota. I know center isn't a sexy position but this kid is way worth his weight in gold. Once again I would love to have a run stuffing DT. Been bitching about getting one for 8 years and running. If we go that route I really like Mazi Smith out of Michigan.

Ringo's film isn't that great. There's a decent chance he's still available at the bottom of Round 1. There are much better CB's in this class.

Good start. But it looks like you need to do some more scouting. :wink:

I just started 3 days ago. I'm more familiar with players from Big-10, SEC and especially the ACC.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#6 » by Mr B » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:03 pm

I’ve looked at several rankings and mock drafts to see where the CB’s are ranked and they’re all over the place. Of the guys that I’m looking at the guys I would like at pick 26 are: Joey Porter Jr, Cam Smith, and Christian Gonzalez. All three are likely gone though by 26. If they are I start looking at other positions.

For example what if TE Michael Mayers from Notre Dame is there at 26? Or what if Bijan Robinson slides? Either would be great in my opinion.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#7 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:19 pm

Mr B wrote:I’ve looked at several rankings and mock drafts to see where the CB’s are ranked and they’re all over the place. Of the guys that I’m looking at the guys I would like at pick 26 are: Joey Porter Jr, Cam Smith, and Christian Gonzalez. All three are likely gone though by 26. If they are I start looking at other positions.

For example what if TE Michael Mayers from Notre Dame is there at 26? Or what if Bijan Robinson slides? Either would be great in my opinion.

Robinson won't fall to us, no way. If he does I want him. He's a Barkley clone. Otherwise, you know me, I want to finish the defense.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#8 » by Mr B » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:25 pm

Ok looking at the DT’s now and I’ve spotted 3 guys though would be realistic options.

The first is Siaki Ika from Oregon. He’s a big fat nasty DT at 6-4 358 lbs. He would immediately help the run defense. He also likes to get upfield and is pretty good at it. There is also a good chance he’s still in the board at 26, that’s about where being being projected.

They could also wait until the 2nd round and take Mazi Smith from Michigan. He’s also very big (6’3” 337 lbs) and would immediately help the run defense. He’s an extremely solid DT, an anchor (how he was described). His problem is he doesn’t hardly ever get upfield. He’s strictly a very good run defender.

Keondre Coburn (6’2” 344 lbs) from Texas in the 4th or 5th round is the other guy. From what I’ve been reading has 1st round talent but a 4th round motor. He doesn’t give it to you all the time.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#9 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:29 pm

Mr B wrote:Ok looking at the DT’s now and I’ve spotted 3 guys though would be realistic options.

The first is Siaki Ika from Oregon. He’s a big fat nasty DT at 6-4 358 lbs. He would immediately help the run defense. He also likes to get upfield and is pretty good at it. There is also a good chance he’s still in the board at 26, that’s about where being being projected.

They could also wait until the 2nd round and take Mazi Smith from Michigan. He’s also very big (6’3” 337 lbs) and would immediately help the run defense. He’s an extremely solid DT, an anchor (how he was described). His problem is he doesn’t hardly ever get upfield. He’s strictly a very good run defender.

Keondre Coburn (6’2” 344 lbs) from Texas in the 4th or 5th round is the other guy. From what I’ve been reading has 1st round talent but a 4th round motor. He doesn’t give it to you all the time.

I love all three, especially Mazi Smith. Is this the year I finally get my wish?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#10 » by Mr B » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:34 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:Ok looking at the DT’s now and I’ve spotted 3 guys though would be realistic options.

I love all three, especially Mazi Smith. Is this the year I finally get my wish?

I really like the Oregon guy Siaki Ika. On video you can see him just tossing linemen around. Reminds me of a Vita Vea type.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#11 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:35 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

I really like the Oregon guy Siaki Ika. On video you can see him just tossing linemen around. Reminds me of a Vita Vea type.

Good spot for a real nice DT. And they can be signed cheaper than other positions. I wouldn't mind a CB but I haven't made my mind up yet on who I like the best.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#12 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:41 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I wouldn't mind a CB but I haven\t made my mind up yet on who I like the best.

Go check out Devon Witherspoon (Illinois). Has great film. He & Gonzalez are the top 2 imo.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#13 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:45 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I wouldn't mind a CB but I haven\t made my mind up yet on who I like the best.

Go check out Devon Witherspoon (Illinois). Has great film. He & Gonzalez are the top 2 imo.

I checked out Witherspoon this morning and really liked what they said about him. Haven't seen any film yet.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#14 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:10 pm

I'm hoping we go all defence this year. Defense is worth building on. If we did take an offensive player in the first couple rounds I hope its an RB or OL.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#15 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:45 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Rumors Cowboys thinking about Utah's Clark Philips III, CB.

He'll probably go in the 2nd-3rd Round somewhere. Good player. But his size will hurt his stock.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#16 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:48 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Rumors Cowboys thinking about Utah's Clark Philips III, CB.

He'll probably go in the 2nd-3rd Round somewhere. Good player. But his size will hurt his stock.

They say that's his only weakness. Scouts say he is a master of everything else.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#17 » by Mr B » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:04 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

They say that's his only weakness. Scouts say he is a master of everything else.

Quinn typically prefers big CB’s. I don’t think the Cowboys have drafted CB shorter than 6’ since Quinn has been here. Jourdan Lewis might the the only CB on the roster shorter than 6’.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#18 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 1, 2023 6:50 pm

I really love Mazi Smith. Do you think he will fall to us in round two? Many mocks have him early second round.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#19 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Feb 1, 2023 6:51 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:He'll probably go in the 2nd-3rd Round somewhere. Good player. But his size will hurt his stock.

Quinn typically prefers big CB’s. I don’t think the Cowboys have drafted CB shorter than 6’ since Quinn has been here. Jourdan Lewis might the the only CB on the roster shorter than 6’.

My favorite CB is Devin Witherspoon but no way he falls to us.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#20 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Feb 1, 2023 7:14 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:My favorite CB is Devin Witherspoon but no way he falls to us.

Lol I'm glad you took my advice. :wink:

Return to Dallas Cowboys