[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Skins 2012-13 Season Predictions

Moderator: LyricalRico

W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 112

Post#1 » by W. Unseld » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:14 pm

I think this is a separate thread from the other, Lyrical, forgive me if it isn't. I always try to view these things from a "looking back" angle. What will we be saying at the end of the season? My glass 1/2 full guess:

RG3 was in fact the real deal but it was unrealistic to expect him to learn the NFL game and a new offensive scheme along with two starting WR's also learning a new scheme (also fantasy football tells me that WR trades usually result in a dip in production for said WR). The NFC East was also loaded this year making it tough on any rookie qb. The running game was up and down as Hedu and Hightower were nicked up quite a bit and Royster was good but not great. The O-line started off poorly but began to come together towards the end of the season. The defense was solid but could use one more better pass rusher as Orakpo continues to be held every play with no calls. Skins finish 9-7.

Glass 1/2 empty (from years of rooting for the Skins in the Snyder era and the Wizards in the modern era):
RG3 was either a bust or worse, is great and suffers a career ending injury. Either way we blew a bunch of picks. Fans start trying to talk themselves into Cousins but after a few Beck like losses a pro-Rex Grossman base develops with the thought that Rex will win and lose games for you but Cousins can't do more than manage the game and at least Rex is a quasi-threat (albeit for both teams). Bounty-gate expands and the Redskins lose several more picks due to Greg Williams actions while here being known but ignored by the highly unpopular Snyder. Lawsuits continue to pile up on concussions eventually leading to laws banning football. The Mayans were correct about December 21, 2012 being the end of days as we know it. A new world order develops with the entire world being under the influence of Scientology. I flee to a remote part of the world to escape and get off the grid. The old order is eventually re-established and Joe Gibbs comes back one more time and wins three more superbowls for the Redskins but I die of a minor infection ignorant of this success b/c I'm off the grid and away from any technology. That's my glass 1/2 empty.

Had to bump this with most of the season over.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Re: Skins 2012-13 Season Predictions 

Post#2 » by mohammed10 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:53 pm

OK - I guess I'll be the first to bite.

Personally, I don't think all the predictions of doom and gloom will come to pass. Conversely, I don't see us playing for the Super Bowl this year either. I think RG3 will start a bit shaky (how could he possibly live up to the hype?), but will be steady by game 8-9-10.

I suspect our running game (sans RG3) will be our Achilles' heel this year, not the receiving corps.

Defensively, I think we have the potential to be a top 6-8 team. Orapko should have a break out campaign and the secondary will hold up better than anticipated ( * crosses fingers *).

All that said, I will predict 8-8 and be happy.

OK - flame away!
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
CaPtaiN eYeSaNo
Senior
And1: 1

Post#3 » by CaPtaiN eYeSaNo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:57 pm

11-5
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,183

Post#4 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:29 pm

I'll go with 7-9.
Bye bye Beal.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 112

Post#5 » by W. Unseld » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:15 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I'll go with 7-9.

Come on, give me some classic CCJ pontification; that was way to brief.
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#6 » by DMVleGeND » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:29 pm

8-8
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Post#7 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:21 am

10-6...you heard it here first! Helu rushing for over a 1000 yards and RG3 passing for 5,000...taking the Skins back to the top of the NFC east where we belong...Also, the cowgirls go 2-14, beating the Beagles twice.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#8 » by TGW » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:03 pm

I'll go with 8-8, which is my best case scenario. I think RG3 will have 5 games of pure brilliance, 3 games where he's pretty good, 6 games where he's merely average, 1 bad game, and 1 nightmarish game where everyone questions what they gave up. All in all, everyone will be happy with the pick.

The running back by committee will work well. I think Royster will get the bulk of the carries, proving he is more durable than Helu. Helu will get the bulk of the backup snaps, and Hightower's role will diminish to a 3rd down back.

The receivers will be underwhelming to start, but towards the end of the season, you'll see a dangerous group, with Hankerson separating himself from Moss and Morgan. Our tight ends will also be impressive, with Davis and Paul really doing damage in opposing secondaries (blocking will be a whole different story).

The line will be a work in progress. Essentially the same unit from last year comes back, however with the addition of Laribus. We're going to see games where RG3 gets punished because a guy here or there goes down to injury.

The defense won't be good. I foresee Fletcher losing a step, and the secondary will be terrible. It will be a step back for the defense this season.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#9 » by Rafael122 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:55 pm

Top 10 defense, improved offense, another year with the players in the same system. This team what...they won 5 games last year? I would say 8-8 at worse, 10-6 would be my best case scenario.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#10 » by Higga » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:56 pm

7-9. RG3 improves as the year goes on, showing flashes of greantess and gives us hope for the future. Pass rush is good, but secondary costs us in many games.

Rak will be among league leaders in sacks and Helu will be a surprise pro bowler.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,651

Post#11 » by pancakes3 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:41 am

8-8

NO is a loss imo. Their emotions are going to be running too high and RG3 is going to have the yips.
STL is winnable
CIN is winnable, barely
TB is winnable
ATL is unlikely but winnable
MIN is winable
NYG is a coinflip
PIT is probably a loss
CAR is winnable imo, but it's hard to say with any sort of conviction
PHI is probably a loss
DAL on thanksgiving is going to be spectacular. It's still a coinflip though imo.
NYG late in the season is a game nobody wants to play
BAL is probably a loss
CLE is a win
PHI late in the season shifts the odds back in our favor
DAL for the season closer with possible playoff/spoiler implications for both teams is going to be another nailbiter.

So if we play up to and beyond expectations, and RG3 has a ROY performance, and our front 7 really comes into its own as a defensive force, and helu runs for beaucoup yards... sure we can go 10-6 and challenge for a playoff spot but nothing ever works out like that.

We'll be 8-8 at best, but more realistically a 7-9 with our last win coming as a spoiler for dallas in late Dec.
Bullets -> Wizards
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Post#12 » by verbal8 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:15 pm

I think 7-9.

I think RG3 will be good/great, but rookie QBs usually don't make a huge impact. I think the line and WRs should be better. I think the running game will be more productive even if it is not a strength.

I think the defense should be solid. I think the secondary is a bit of a question mark.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#13 » by LyricalRico » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:53 pm

I'm still waiting until after Saturday's game to post my official prediction, but it's definitely trending lower after seeing the O-line so far.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#14 » by Higga » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:58 pm

The OL was playing with three backups + a hobbled Trent Williams. They'll be much better once Lich and Chester return from injuries. RT will be a weak spot all year though.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#15 » by hands11 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:18 pm

Higga wrote:The OL was playing with three backups + a hobbled Trent Williams. They'll be much better once Lich and Chester return from injuries. RT will be a weak spot all year though.

True.

And lots of RBs and lots of targets at WR and TE. They will obviously go with the power game to start the year so the game is easier on RG3. Lots is going to ride on RG3 and how quickly he can step it up. He has to manage the office and limit turnovers.

Record. 8-8 would be awesome process. But I'm not counting on it. They are going to have to get a lot of pass rush and have a great ground game.

If things come together more quickly, anything is possible. Such is the way of the NFL these days. Teams can get on a roll. Health is always a major factor. They have more depth this year. This is the best QB, RB and WR crop in a long long time.

Defensive back field will be the biggest question so pass rush will be key.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/wsh/ ... n-redskins

They really don't have an easy schedule overall. It looks ok to start but then they run into the meat after that and its not looking good at that point. They are going to have to beat Dallas and Philly to stand a chance but you have to win in division to stand a chance. They did beat the Giants twice last year. And with no slow Rex in the back field or his WTF ints, maybe they can win a few more games.

@ New Orleans
@ Pittsburgh
Baltimore

If only they could have squeezed New England and Green Bay into our schedule. :roll:

I do like what I have seen from RG3 and Garcon. Fred, N Paul and Coley should make for some close targets. Moss is the slot should be good.

Should be interesting. Hopefully the D can cause some turnovers.
wermolwermol777
Rookie
And1: 15

Post#16 » by wermolwermol777 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:52 pm

I'll go with 8-8 and I'd be quite happy if it actually ended up being true :)

Quite intrigued about our RB situation though, Morris has looked impressive, he seems to just get 2 more yards than possible almost every time. Yet someone would probably have to get cut. Or we're going into the season with 4 RBs on the roster.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#17 » by Rafael122 » Wed Sep 5, 2012 9:26 pm

Do remember we won't have a '13 first round pick, at least ours. 8-8, or 7-9 will probably be in the top 12-15 range.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,183

Post#18 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Sep 6, 2012 7:12 pm

W. Unseld wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I'll go with 7-9.

Come on, give me some classic CCJ pontification; that was way to brief.

I think what's going to happen is disappointment with RG3 and probably he'll get banged up. Kirk Cousins will relieve him and win games. Shanahan will like Cousins more by the end of the season.

The Skins will go a disappointing 5-11.

The best rookie is going to be neither Andrew Luck nor RG3. I like Russell Wilson to have a very strong year. I think Ryan Tanneyhill will also have a strong year.

I hope I'm wrong, because this is all just a big guess with absolutely no analysis put into it.
Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#19 » by LyricalRico » Thu Sep 6, 2012 8:05 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I think what's going to happen is disappointment with RG3 and probably he'll get banged up. Kirk Cousins will relieve him and win games. Shanahan will like Cousins more by the end of the season.

That exact scenario flashed across my mind as I watched Cousins in the preseason. At this point I'd just be happy with a good QB, no matter who it is. But man, that trade would be historically bad if RG3 ends up getting eventually supplanted by a 4th rounder.

I'd say the chances of that scenario playing out are minimal, though. I fully expect Griffin to have a great year.
Badatude
Senior
And1: 97

Post#20 » by Badatude » Sun Sep 9, 2012 12:30 pm

Middle of the pack. They will get RGIII out of the pocket allowing him the chance to throw the ball away. The wide outs are the best we have had in a long time. The RT is the kick in the (picture shooting your self in the foot but higher) pants stopping the O from being from unpredictable going strong or weak on roll outs.
D is ok.
This year is about the O line. :uhoh:

Return to Washington Football Team